Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

The only question is if they could afford to take on Batum AND get the room to pay up for Jaylen Brown, Buddy Hield, or Bogdanovich?

We can't unless we give up more of next year's salary, so we'd have to trade Anderson. Hornets are in great position to take Iggy also to buy him out or to flip him again. They're really one of the last few teams that could get it done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buddy Hield and the kings are kind of having some problems negotiating a new extension. 

Assuming we have to max both players, which would you prefer between brown and hield? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Buddy Hield and the kings are kind of having some problems negotiating a new extension. 

Assuming we have to max both players, which would you prefer between brown and hield? 

Age-wise Jaylen wins (26y vs 23y)  and also athletically and defensively he wins by a pretty large margin.  BUT Hield's shooting is the real deal.   He would fit in perfectly as the SPACE aspect of the Pace&Space Coach is looking for.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Buddy Hield and the kings are kind of having some problems negotiating a new extension. 

Assuming we have to max both players, which would you prefer between brown and hield? 

This is a slam dunk, no brainer Buddy Hield for me. And I'd sooner pay Bogdonavich before Brown, personally - but of course any of those three players or Beasley and Prince would all be great gets. If we manage to get 1 of any of those we will have won big.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

This is a slam dunk, no brainer Buddy Hield for me. And I'd sooner pay Bogdonavich before Brown, personally - but of course any of those three players or Beasley and Prince would all be great gets. If we manage to get 1 of any of those we will have won big.

Getting Beasley and Prince would be my ultimate wish list. Give them both close to 20 million a year. Fixes our shooting issues for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Andrew Wiggins the "scorer" we need to trade for is putting the league on notice in preseason.  9.8 points on 33% shooting. He has managed in 96 minutes to grab 6 boards and hasnt recorded one steal or block.  Yeah lets give this guy the max for four years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dwash said:

Andrew Wiggins the "scorer" we need to trade for is putting the league on notice in preseason.  9.8 points on 33% shooting. He has managed in 96 minutes to grab 6 boards and hasnt recorded one steal or block.  Yeah lets give this guy the max for four years.

That is horrifically bad.  I don't even understand how that's even possible.  You'd think that just in the course of playing the game a loose ball would bounce your way at some point and you'd get credited with a steal.  You almost have to try on purpose to be that bad.  Wow. 

EDIT:  He's also shooting 50% from the line and has more turnovers than assists.  Andrew Wiggins is legitimately bad at basketball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dwash said:

Andrew Wiggins the "scorer" we need to trade for is putting the league on notice in preseason.  9.8 points on 33% shooting. He has managed in 96 minutes to grab 6 boards and hasnt recorded one steal or block.  Yeah lets give this guy the max for four years.

The Timberwolves essentially just need Andrew Wiggins to be a functional wing player to be in serious playoff contention. As it stands, he's been just flat out terrible. He's just getting worse and worse every year it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realistically, we're not getting any big free agents next year because 1) it's bad weak FA class and 2) no one is coming to Memphis over a bigger market or a better team unless we overpay. Hopefully we can arrange a S&T this season. If not, I really do think it makes sense for us to overpay someone right now because we have three core pieces on rookie deals for the next 3-4 years so we can afford to splurge to continue to build a core. We're going to have ~40 mil of cap space to play with next season.

So basically give Buddy Hield the money he wants. Not a fan of maxing Jaylen Brown. I love his athleticism and play style but I don't think he's a game changer. Especially for what this team needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, On My Grizzlie said:

Apparently we are interested in Shumpert? We dont think we have enough guard depth possibly, or a trade is happening.

Where are you getting this idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a difference between Shumpert's agent suggesting that he talked to the Grizzlies and the Grizzlies being interested in Shumpert even if both statements are true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

There is a difference between Shumpert's agent suggesting that he talked to the Grizzlies and the Grizzlies being interested in Shumpert even if both statements are true. 

Very true.I just found it interesting with there being no news really about the moves we are making

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, On My Grizzlie said:

Very true.I just found it interesting with there being no news really about the moves we are making

I'm sure Shumpert's agent was asking about a way to sign and trade Shumpert in a deal with Houston where Andre Iguodala ends up in Houston. I could see that being worth a meeting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, one possibility I could see Plumlee, Rabb and Hill all waived, and someone else added, either Noah or more likely, some young guy waived by another team in this Monday's upcoming roster cuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Honestly, one possibility I could see Plumlee, Rabb and Hill all waived, and someone else added, either Noah or more likely, some young guy waived by another team in this Monday's upcoming roster cuts.

Here's hoping. There's bound to be someone waived better than those 3 due to roster crunch.

Btw Iguodala was raised not too far from Indiana...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what the heck would shumpert add to this team?  would make zero sense.  he'd be redundant to jae, josh, and dillon.  an ok defender w/ size but with questionable shooting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now