Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I can't answer for the OP but in my eyes it seems like adding a player to the roster right now doesn't make a lot of sense when the team already has to cut/trade/dump so many other players and figure out which of their young wings actually has the potential to be a decent player in the NBA.

Andre Iguodala is the only experienced wing the Grizzlies have right now who isn't recovering from an injury and the team is rumored to be moving him somewhere else. You have to assume Solomon Hill and Dwight Howard's contracts will be eaten by the team. Ivan Rabb won't be extended also. 

Then you have to consider that Grayson Allen, Josh Jackson, Dillon Brooks, De'Anthony Melton, Tyus Jones, Bruno Caboclo and Kyle Anderson are all below their peak years in NBA terms. Then throw in Ja Morant and Brandon Clarke as unproven rookies looking to learn the game as well. The team also has Yuta Watanabe and John Kunchar waiting to be developed.

How many more projects do the Grizzlies need? Where does Marco fit? 

Fair enough points, but I don't consider any of the remaining players NBA viable, especially to a rebuilding team, excluding Rabb perhaps, who I considered to be a sure cut after Summer league. I suspect the team will be cutting Howard/Hill/Rabb (and trading Iggy) - leaving us at 15, including Marco - and will not require that we cut anyone else. It's possible they even cut Plumlee, though I doubt that's the case. I don't mean to say that I'm necessarily on board with the signing 100%, but my post was more about certain people completely writing him off without any reasoning whatsoever, per Grizz board tradition.

I do trust this FO though, and it seems to me they've scouted this player, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, for now. He does shoot 47% from three, which seems to be the most valuable commodity in the NBA these days, whether on the court or as an asset. It's possible this is Chris Wallace's last hurrah, which would be unfortunate, but there is also the chance we actually hit on one of these players, and I think that chance is probably worth it, even if we have to cut someone to do it. This team is going to be very bad, and there will be ample opportunity for development of all of the players, across the board. I don't think bringing on another project will change that.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Marko Guduric is in Memphis today and apparently looking at apartments. 

I wonder if the delay in the signing has something to do with keeping the roster spot open in case it's needed to engineer some trade.

For reference, Marko Guduric is a six year professional that has played his entire career in two of the top European teams of all time (Red Star Belgrade and Fenerbahce). He's not exactly an unknown quantity, and definitely not a Casey Jacobsen.

The big question is if his game will translate to the NBA, which is by no means a given. His athleticism is average and his lateral speed is suspect so he may struggle on defense against most NBA SGs. But at 24 he's at the age most draft-and-stash Euro players take the leap to the NBA, he still has room for development.

And if he doesn't develop, we'll cut him or let his contract expire and he'll become more salary cap in 2021. Do not fret.

11 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

For reference, Marko Guduric is a six year professional that has played his entire career in two of the top European teams of all time (Red Star Belgrade and Fenerbahce). He's not exactly an unknown quantity, and definitely not a Casey Jacobsen.

The big question is if his game will translate to the NBA, which is by no means a given. His athleticism is average and his lateral speed is suspect so he may struggle on defense against most NBA SGs. But at 24 he's at the age most draft-and-stash Euro players take the leap to the NBA, he still has room for development.

And if he doesn't develop, we'll cut him or let his contract expire and he'll become more salary cap in 2021. Do not fret.

I hope he surprise, ppl he used to say the same thing about Doncic, I know Doncic is way better, but he might surprise us and get a bigger role on the team than we expect.

2 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

I hope he surprise, ppl he used to say the same thing about Doncic, I know Doncic is way better, but he might surprise us and get a bigger role on the team than we expect.

Yeah, ok, but Doncic is several tiers above Marko. Let's not get carried away. :)

33 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

I wonder if the delay in the signing has something to do with keeping the roster spot open in case it's needed to engineer some trade.

He's been signed

i.m still waiting for a  big time SUPER STAR SIGNING , I will be waiting for a long time 

the grizzlies signed vince carter at 37 years old , I see the grizzlies drafting LeBron james son and then  LeBron will sign with the grizzlies  at the age of 42 

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Marko Guduric is in Memphis today and apparently looking at apartments. 

Can confirm... saw him downtown.

29 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Can confirm... saw him downtown.

I’m sure he stands  out right?  6’6 foreign looking guy. 

Reminds me of when I saw Thabeet at Walmart at about 1 in the morning 

3 minutes ago, Allen said:

I’m sure he stands  out right?  6’6 foreign looking guy. 

Reminds me of when I saw Thabeet at Walmart at about 1 in the morning 

Shopping for talent

44 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

Shopping for talent

Maybe. He had some young lady with him. It was at the Walmart on Winchester by the Malco Majestic. My wife saw him first because he was tall and I told her who he was. 

7’3 looks weird in person 

4 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Shopping for talent

Nope. Most likely looking for thots.

I like Joakim Noah, and I"m glad he played here this year.  I don't expect him to return, but I like what he had to say to Devin Booker when Booker was complaining about getting a double team

I'm trying to see who else is there: Ben Simmons...and I can't tell

34 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I like Joakim Noah, and I"m glad he played here this year.  I don't expect him to return, but I like what he had to say to Devin Booker when Booker was complaining about getting a double team

I'm trying to see who else is there: Ben Simmons...and I can't tell

ha what a biiiiiiish

lol Noah going viral, hoping someone will remember that they need one last big on their roster

25 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

If you’re gonna get doubled all season, why not practice being doubled?

That's what i was thinking. Working on your game right?

I liked it. Some guys are competing all the time. They don't care that it is pick up. They are there to win. Devin Booker is clearly not one of those guys.

I’mma keep saying it...

this guy not only gets it - he IS it.

aint no games with him

you know what he’s bringing every time 

up by 20 or down by 10

he is going hard on whoever had the audacity to lace em up ...

talking bout no doubling in an open gym ...

whuh? Where they do that at?

bet he also calls his own fouls - repeatedly.

know that crazy that every successful squad has ?

I do ... 

do you Jo ... we see you out here busting up the youngsters during the off-season.

get at ‘em

12 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I’mma keep saying it...

this guy not only gets it - he IS it.

aint no games with him

you know what he’s bringing every time 

up by 20 or down by 10

he is going hard on whoever had the audacity to lace em up ...

talking bout no doubling in an open gym ...

whuh? Where they do that at?

bet he also calls his own fouls - repeatedly.

know that crazy that every successful squad has ?

I do ... 

do you Jo ... we see you out here busting up the youngsters during the off-season.

get at ‘em

Image result for what you talkin bout willis gif