Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

Why arent you a big fan of it?

I don't think he's any sort of long term answer, and he'll take developmental time away from grayson, Josh, Dillon, even Melton. Obviously we need shooters so he theoretically checks that box, but he's not particularly athletic and I'll think he'll struggle defensively. 

I doubt he starts regardless, but I guess if he can be like troy daniels was off the bench then it is fine. It's mainly the roster situation since we are already over. His signing means Rabb is 100% gone imo, along with hill and either Howard or Miles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/28/2019 at 10:01 AM, BLUEandGOLD said:
(Morey would not specify other teams involved in trade talks he pursued or other discussions beyond with the Thunder on the deal that was completed. He was in talks throughout that week with the Grizzlies about a deal for Andre Iguodala, according to two individuals with knowledge of the Rockets’ thinking, but Morey would not confirm any other trade talks.)

 

I'd imagine that Eric Gordon would be getting shipped out. His contract is close to Iggy's, 14 - 17 mil. Houston has a log jam at that position and some of the other guys can't be traded until Dec. 15th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guduric's less than a year older than Dillon, only a few months older than Grayson, and could potentially be the best 3pt shooter on the team next season. He's worth developing himself IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

I don't think he's any sort of long term answer, and he'll take developmental time away from grayson, Josh, Dillon, even Melton. Obviously we need shooters so he theoretically checks that box, but he's not particularly athletic and I'll think he'll struggle defensively. 

I doubt he starts regardless, but I guess if he can be like troy daniels was off the bench then it is fine. It's mainly the roster situation since we are already over. His signing means Rabb is 100% gone imo, along with Hill and either Howard or Miles. 

I think everybody from that list should go, but they will probably keep Plumlee or Howard like you said. So trade  Iggy to the Clippers or the Rockets (possible Rockets if the rumors are true), sign Yuta for a longterm deal, add Hannahs and Harvey to two ways contracts and go for training camp. I would love to have Noah back, but seems that wont happen.

Roster

Ja/Tyus/Melton/Hannahs*

Dillon/Marko/Harvey*/Allen

Caboclo/Josh/Yuta

Jaren/Crowder/SlowMo

JV/Clarke/Dwight 

 

We will probably have top 1st round pick in next years draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

I'd imagine that Eric Gordon would be getting shipped out. His contract is close to Iggy's, 14 - 17 mil. Houston has a log jam at that position and some of the other guys can't be traded until Dec. 15th.

If we get Gordon in a Rockets trade I FO would strike again, he could be the starting sg.

PS.: Then Yuta would probably stay as a 2way and Hannahs goes back to Hustle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Kinda getting some Casey Jacobsen vibes from Guduric.  Anybody else?

I already said this but I personally just see him as another troy daniels, end of bench kind of guy but has value because of the 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

I'd imagine that Eric Gordon would be getting shipped out. His contract is close to Iggy's, 14 - 17 mil. Houston has a log jam at that position and some of the other guys can't be traded until Dec. 15th.

The speculation is that this will be a sign and trade for Shumpert and not Eric Gordon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Kinda getting some Casey Jacobsen vibes from Guduric.  Anybody else?

He's the only Grizzly player I ever openly taunted at a game.

We put him in and I yelled "Noooo!!!!!!!!!" really loud.  A bit later Andre Iguodala hit a game winner over us getting Philly the win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, srmjr23 said:

The speculation is that this will be a sign and trade for Shumpert and not Eric Gordon.

We'd need a 1st rounder for that. Major favor for houston, taking a worthless player off their hands and giving them a key piece for playoff run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ALT GRIND said:

He's the only Grizzly player I ever openly taunted at a game.

We put him in and I yelled "Noooo!!!!!!!!!" really loud.  A bit later Andre Iguodala hit a game winner over us getting Philly the win.

I gave Mack the whole entire business as soon as I saw him run outta the tunnel

and continued to tell everybody within earshot exactly how I felt all the way through the layup line.

was hoarse by the time the actual game started.

true story

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guduric signing only being reported on Grizzlybearblues with one source, somebody's twitter post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

We'd need a 1st rounder for that. Major favor for houston, taking a worthless player off their hands and giving them a key piece for playoff run.

Correct. The assumption is we would be getting a 1st. I wasnt saying we wouldn't be, in that scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

Correct. The assumption is we would be getting a 1st. I wasnt saying we wouldn't be, in that scenario.

I don't think Houston has any tradeable 1st round picks. Can't trade 1st rnd picks past 7 years in the future, or back to back 1st's. After the Westbrook deal, because of the possibility of 1st rnd pick swaps, it ties Houston up from trading them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

I don't think Houston has any tradeable 1st round picks. Can't trade 1st rnd picks past 7 years in the future, or back to back 1st's. After the Westbrook deal, because of the possibility of 1st rnd pick swaps, it ties Houston up from trading them. 

That may be true, but I've read that they have their 2020 first to trade still, but it's possible that's not right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

I don't think Houston has any tradeable 1st round picks. Can't trade 1st rnd picks past 7 years in the future, or back to back 1st's. After the Westbrook deal, because of the possibility of 1st rnd pick swaps, it ties Houston up from trading them. 

They traded later picks to the Thunder. 2023 and 2025. Swaps in 2021 and 2024. 2020 still up for grabs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wells said:

Guduric signing only being reported on Grizzlybearblues with one source, somebody's twitter post.

Are you saying its a rumor?

It was reported week ago

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/901536/marko-guduric-signing-two-year-deal-with-memphis-grizzlies/

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/2019/07/01/nba-free-agency-marko-guduric-signs-memphis-grizzlies/1619053001/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dwash said:

They traded later picks to the Thunder. 2023 and 2025. Swaps in 2021 and 2024. 2020 still up for grabs.

Rockets traded their 2019 draft pick in the 3 team trade where they got Shumpert. They had no 1st rnd pick in the 2019 draft. Can't trade consecutive 1st rnd picks (unless if you have more than one). Unless if they somehow got/plan to get another teams 2020 1st rnd pick, I'm pretty sure they can't trade theirs as of now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Rockets traded their 2019 draft pick in the 3 team trade where they got Shumpert. They had no 1st rnd pick in the 2019 draft. Can't trade consecutive 1st rnd picks (unless if you have more than one). Unless if they somehow got/plan to get another teams 2020 1st rnd pick, I'm pretty sure they can't trade theirs as of now.

I believe the Stepien rule only applies to drafts that occur after the trade - e.g., if it were the night before the 2019 draft, the Rockets could not trade their 2020 draft pick, but the day after the 2019 draft, they’re free to trade their 2020 draft so long as they haven’t traded their 2021 draft pick (which they haven’t - it’s a swap). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Why arent you a big fan of it?

I can't answer for the OP but in my eyes it seems like adding a player to the roster right now doesn't make a lot of sense when the team already has to cut/trade/dump so many other players and figure out which of their young wings actually has the potential to be a decent player in the NBA.

Andre Iguodala is the only experienced wing the Grizzlies have right now who isn't recovering from an injury and the team is rumored to be moving him somewhere else. You have to assume Solomon Hill and Dwight Howard's contracts will be eaten by the team. Ivan Rabb won't be extended also. 

Then you have to consider that Grayson Allen, Josh Jackson, Dillon Brooks, De'Anthony Melton, Tyus Jones, Bruno Caboclo and Kyle Anderson are all below their peak years in NBA terms. Then throw in Ja Morant and Brandon Clarke as unproven rookies looking to learn the game as well. The team also has Yuta Watanabe and John Kunchar waiting to be developed.

How many more projects do the Grizzlies need? Where does Marco fit? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Rockets traded their 2019 draft pick in the 3 team trade where they got Shumpert. They had no 1st rnd pick in the 2019 draft. Can't trade consecutive 1st rnd picks (unless if you have more than one). Unless if they somehow got/plan to get another teams 2020 1st rnd pick, I'm pretty sure they can't trade theirs as of now.

As said above the rule applies to future picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly if Konchar can become a good 3 point shooter, I like him better than anybody we have currently at the 2. He has great size, elite rebounder for his position, very good defender, very good passer, and just always seems to be around the ball. He just needs to be consistent from 3, he at least has a good looking stroke though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I can't answer for the OP but in my eyes it seems like adding a player to the roster right now doesn't make a lot of sense when the team already has to cut/trade/dump so many other players and figure out which of their young wings actually has the potential to be a decent player in the NBA.

Andre Iguodala is the only experienced wing the Grizzlies have right now who isn't recovering from an injury and the team is rumored to be moving him somewhere else. You have to assume Solomon Hill and Dwight Howard's contracts will be eaten by the team. Ivan Rabb won't be extended also. 

Then you have to consider that Grayson Allen, Josh Jackson, Dillon Brooks, De'Anthony Melton, Tyus Jones, Bruno Caboclo and Kyle Anderson are all below their peak years in NBA terms. Then throw in Ja Morant and Brandon Clarke as unproven rookies looking to learn the game as well. The team also has Yuta Watanabe and John Kunchar waiting to be developed.

How many more projects do the Grizzlies need? Where does Marco fit? 

Wow... right. Those are alot of projects 

 When you break it down like that - it forces me to make some decisions... some difficult decisions.

We definitely need a proven vet or two (where’s Jo?) to show the cubs the NBA ropes and teach / develop habits to allow them to succeed.

The moves we make prior to the first game have got to be made with a focus on the ( hopefully near) future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Honestly if Konchar can become a good 3 point shooter, I like him better than anybody we have currently at the 2. He has great size, elite rebounder for his position, very good defender, very good passer, and just always seems to be around the ball. He just needs to be consistent from 3, he at least has a good looking stroke though. 

He's got a lot of Delon Wright in him. Just not near the finisher Delon is. Agreed he has a better stroke though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Wells said:

Guduric signing only being reported on Grizzlybearblues with one source, somebody's twitter post.

Marko Guduric is in Memphis today and apparently looking at apartments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this