Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

6 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

That's the point!

Both CLee and Iggy expire after this season.  CLee is cheaper and one of the few options right now for doing a trade where the Grizzlies don't take back additional contracts AND Lee is less money for a buyout option, if that is the plan.

Iman S&T, picks and buy him out on a agreed upon price. Not sure what kinda deals he looking for or what he's worth but cant be much . pocket some money for a S&T and go join a contender and grizz open a roster spot.

8 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Yeah they would "prefer" to pay him zero? When has that every happened? No matter what the situation? Joakim Noah was a complete *** and still got most of hia money.

So ONCE AGAIN, if Iggy doesnt want to be here and cant be traded (probably not true) he WILL  be paid like every other buyout player, which is close to full amount. Doesnt matter what "you would do if you were in charge" or what the Grizzlies want. This man has a guaranteed contract. If he shows up and acts disinterested he has the leverage cause he now hurts the team more than he helps and you still gotta pay him. So they will do what literally every other team does in this situation which is negotiate a buyout, maybe take a little off and earn savings when he signs with someone else. Thats how it works. Even for presidents of the NBPA as it has been proven.

That's too many ifs for a simple mind like mine. I just know that today I wouldn't offer Iggy anything to let him out of his contract. I don't believe the Front Office would offer anything to let him out of his contract today either. 

And that's the same thing I have been saying all along. No conditions. No ifs, ands or buts. Today I wouldn't offer Iggy anything to get out of his contract. If he demanded we release him without compensation I would but I wouldn't pay him to leave. 

Would you? If not then I am glad to know we can agree on this. 

4 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Iman S&T, picks and buy him out on a agreed upon price. Not sure what kinda deals he looking for or what he's worth but cant be much . pocket some money for a S&T and go join a contender and grizz open a roster spot.

The S&T with Shumpert would have to be for more money and closer to Iggy's contract in order to work.  CLee is still a cheaper option.  

On 6/23/2019 at 6:46 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

Current Past Grizzlies free agents:Tyler Dorsey, Joakim Noah, Justin Holiday, Tyler Zeller, Jerryd Bayless, Lance Stephenson, Vince Carter, Q Pondexter, Shelvin "LilTokeFan" Mack, Wayne Selden,  Dante Cunningham, Jarell Martin, Troy Williams (RFA), Kosta K, Pau Gasol,

Not sure any of those guys will be on an NBA team to start the season, except Troy as 2-way.

If I had to rank who I think is most likely on any NBA roster, I would think Holiday than possibly Pau or Noah.

Lance Stephenson was some fun though.Hope he finds his way back to LA.

25 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

The S&T with Shumpert would have to be for more money and closer to Iggy's contract in order to work.  CLee is still a cheaper option.  

I don't think the sign & trade of Iman has any legs because, NBA require any sign & trade be for a minimum of three years in length. 

31 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Hou can take 5M extra in a s&t .. Or could at one point anyways. Guaranteed 1st year and years 2 and 3 with little / no guarantee

24 minutes ago, Dark-Child said:

I don't think the sign & trade of Iman has any legs because, NBA require any sign & trade be for a minimum of three years in length. 

You can have team options or non guarantees after the first year though.

3 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

I guess we should told AB we aint paying him nothing.surley that would make our FO look strong and players would respect us.

It was written in his contract, Einstein.

3 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

It was written in his contract, Einstein.

So is iggy smart guy 17M

Just now, IdrinkGuinness said:

So is iggy smart guy 17M

And it's a contract, his word.  That means if they don't agree on a buyout his butt better be in training camp ready to play.

5 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

So is iggy smart guy 17M

In my opinion, Iggy is very smart. You don't rise to the Vice President of the Players Association without being smart and a good leader. I would expect Iggy to want more than nothing to be bought out. He is smart enough to know to be patient and wait to see what happens before makign a ridiculous claim to pay him a ton of money to walk. 

I also believe Wexler, Kleiman and the rest of the Grizzlies current front office leaders are smart and that they wouldn't give Iggy anything to walk away if they believe they can get something in return for him. They would not be smart to offer him anything to walk now with the rest of summer to make a deal. 

I don't believe the Clippers front office is very smart which is why they gave AB that deal and traded five future first round picks for a player that can walk in three years. 

2 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

And it's a contract, his word.  That means if they don't agree on a buyout his butt better be in training camp ready to play.

Yeah . who disagrees with that ? 

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Iggy is very smart. You don't rise to the Vice President of the Players Association without being smart and a good leader. 

I would expect Iggy to want more than nothing to be bought out. I also believe Wexler, Kleiman and the rest of the Grizzlies current front office leaders are smart and that they wouldn't give Iggy anything to walk away if they believe they can get something in return for him. 

I don't believe the Clippers front office is very smart which is why they gave AB that deal and traded five future first round picks for a player that can walk in three years. 

Some of those are pick swaps. I don't care if they can get a return . I posted he had value in a trade to a contender and that thinking we woukd buy him out for zero dollars is stupid . show me it happening . that's all i wanna see . 

1 minute ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Some of those are pick swaps.

The Clippers are sending the Thunder four unprotected first-round picks, one protected first-round pick and two pick swaps, league sources tell ESPN. Those picks go to OKC with Gallinari and SGA.

So the Clippers are sending one protected, four unprotected and two picks swaps to OKC for a guy on a three year contract. 

5 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Some of those are pick swaps.

Two picks were Miami's. Three theirs. Two swaps.

In return they got a guy who was 4th in MVP voting who was the reason the guys who is possibly the best player in the game signed there. They are 28/29.

You make that trade anyday. Modern day Scottie/Mike or Lebron/Wade combo.

3 minutes ago, Dwash said:

In return they got a guy who was 4th in MVP voting who was the reason the guys who is possibly the best player in the game signed there. They are 28/29.

Time will tell but I struggle to believe that anyone is worth what the Clippers gave up. They may be good for a few years but I believe they are trending toward the lottery after that. 

8 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Some of those are pick swaps. I don't care if they can get a return . I posted he had value in a trade to a contender and that thinking we woukd buy him out for zero dollars is stupid . show me it happening . that's all i wanna see . 

All I said was I would be offering him nothing to buy him out now. Not that Iggy should accept that and not what could happen in the future. Right now I wouldn't give up an asset like Iggy unless I had to do so and I most certainly wouldn't pay him to leave. 

Just now, chipc3 said:

Time will tell but I struggle to believe that anyone is worth what the Clippers gave up. They may be good for a few years but I believe they are trending toward the lottery after that. 

it is when you think you have a legit shot at a ring .

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

If they get a ring or two I doubt they will care.

it is when you think you have a legit shot at a ring .

How many years of lottery hell is a shot at a ring worth to you? I bet we have different opinions about that. 

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

If they get a ring or two I doubt they will care.

Perhaps. If they don't win any their fans will however. 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

How many years of lottery hell is a shot at a ring worth to you? I bet we have different opinions about that. 

Quite a few and people thought clips would be garbage when blake and cp3 starting getting old/injured moved .who knows maybe they three peat ?

Quite a few and people thought clips would be garbage when blake and cp3 starting getting old/injured moved .who knows maybe they three peat ?

Time will tell. I hope they don't buy rings like this because I don't think it's good for the league but I can't deny that winning 1 or 2 or even 3 rings would be nice and a lot of recovery time would be soothed. 

16 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Yeah . who disagrees with that ? 

Hopefully no one.  I may be debating the issue, but I'm really not that concerned.  It just gets me when posters are talking about our FO looking bad if they don't give in to Iggy's demand for a buyout, when he has done absolutely nothing for this franchise.  The Grizzlies don't owe him a thing except for the wages he earns doing his job.

12 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Right - it was either keep the picks and get neither or trade the picks and get BOTH Kawhi and PG (two MVP candidates who are in their prime). Of course it's a risk, but for the swaps to have any value two things have to happen, (a) Clippers have to be bad and (b) OKC has to be good. 

I'd much rather be in the Clips situation than the situation we were over the last 10 years - we never had a credible shot at winning a championship AND we didn't have any young players to get excited about. Not to beat a dead horse, but look at our gruesome draft history between Conley and JJJ. Whole lotta good those picks did us.

2008 1 5 Kevin Love 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA C UCLA (traded to Minnesota)[j]
2008 1 28 Donte Greene 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA C Syracuse (from L.A. Lakers,[k] traded to Houston)[l]
2009 1 2 Hasheem Thabeet 23px-Flag_of_Tanzania.svg.png TZA C Connecticut  
2009 1 27 DeMarre Carroll 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PF Missouri (from Orlando)
2009 2 36 Sam Young 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA SF Pittsburgh  
2010 1 12 Xavier Henry 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA SG Kansas  
2010 1 25 Dominique Jones 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA SG South Florida (from Denver, traded to Dallas)
2010 1 28 Greivis Vásquez 23px-Flag_of_Venezuela.svg.png VEN PG/SG Maryland (from L.A. Lakers)
2011 2 49 Josh Selby 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PG/SG Kansas  
2012 1 25 Tony Wroten 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PG Washington  
2013 2 41 Jamaal Franklin 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA SG San Diego State  
2013 2 60 Jānis Timma 23px-Flag_of_Latvia.svg.png LVA SF BK Ventspils  
2014 1 22 Jordan Adams 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA SG UCLA  
2015 1 25 Jarell Martin 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PF LSU  
2016 1 17 Wade Baldwin 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png USA PG Vanderbilt  
2016 2 57 Wang Zhelin 23px-Flag_of_the_People%27s_Republic_of_ CHN C Fujian Sturgeons (China) (from Toronto)