Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

Just now, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

We gave the MLE to Kyle Anderson last season with teh expectation of him starting. No, paying the MLE for a 3rd guard is not a good plan. Third guards get paid Shelvin Mack money, not the full MLE. 

I cant expect to be a good team and pay a Shelvin Mack salary for the guy that will play 20-24 min a game. Unless that guy is a rookie, that you stole in the draft.

What I know is that I would be way more confortable with the main rotation:

Ja/Delon/Melton

Josh/Delon/Allen

Then:

Ja/Melton/? (maybe SlowMo)

Josh/Dillon or Allen/Allen or Guduric 

2 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

It's overpaying if they have another plan in mind or if comparing the team to the other bottom 5 cellar dwellers.  Paying a vet who can play 20-30 mpg at SG & backup PG less than $10 mm/year is not overpaying.

However, it appears all the talking about clearing salaries to match Delon Wright was a bunch of smoke, and I believe there is going to be more going down, especially if the Heat or other teams are involved in trying to get Russell Westbrook.

I really think there could be more draft picks coming this way.

Maybe we facilitate the deal and get Dragic or "Schrodder"

Don't want a guard who can't shoot if they do sign another one

Options.

PGs

Trey Burke

Jerian Grant

Shabazz Napier

The free agent list doesn't look that good only thing left is Jabri Parker and Kelly Oubre(restricted)

2 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

It's overpaying if they have another plan in mind or if comparing the team to the other bottom 5 cellar dwellers.  Paying a vet who can play 20-30 mpg at SG & backup PG less than $10 mm/year is not overpaying.

However, it appears all the talking about clearing salaries to match Delon Wright was a bunch of smoke, and I believe there is going to be more going down, especially if the Heat or other teams are involved in trying to get Russell Westbrook.

I really think there could be more draft picks coming this way.

I don't expect them to win 30 games next year. It would have been overpaying for my taste. And who said they were clearing salaries to match Wright? I don't think i heard anyone from the Grizz saying that. These media members are guessing many times just like we are.

I don't doubt they expected to re-sign him but Dallas went full MLE and Memphis decided not to match. I would think $6-$7 mil would have been teh upper limit for what the grizz wanted to match. 

2 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

Maybe we facilitate the deal and get Dragic or "Schrodder"

Rather have Dragic Shrodder thinks he's better than he actually is 

6 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

I cant expect to be a good team and pay a Shelvin Mack salary for the guy that will play 20-24 min a game. Unless that guy is a rookie, that you stole in the draft.

What I know is that I would be way more confortable with the main rotation:

Ja/Delon/Melton

Josh/Delon/Allen

Then:

Ja/Melton/? (maybe SlowMo)

Josh/Dillon or Allen/Allen or Guduric 

How many games do you expect this team to win next year?

Miami has really been trying to move Dragic I could see that being the next move. Maybe an Iggy trade but since he wants to get to LA I don't see how that helps Miami unless we take in someone else as well

You guys are aware that Melton does the same things as Delon and he's younger and projects to be a better scorer. I don't think many people kept up with Delon before he got here so thinking the team just took some big loss cause he's not coming back is strange.

He had some good games once traded here but that's a small sample size compared to the rest of his career. 

I think the team will be fine without him

11 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

How many games do you expect this team to win next year?

Not many, but I hope to loose close games other than being blowout lots of nights.

4 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

You guys are aware that Melton does the same things as Delon and he's younger and projects to be a better scorer. I don't think many people kept up with Delon before he got here so thinking the team just took some big loss cause he's not coming back is strange.

He had some good games once traded here but that's a small sample size compared to the rest of his career. 

I think the team will be fine without him

I agree that Melton has some Delon and even more Bradley in him, but he is too young to count on him, Delon was Lowry backup for a long time, and played great here. Im not saying we should match any offer for him, but 9.5 mil/year is not that big of price for his services.

39 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Maybe that was the plan because i don't understand the clearing of salaries to match Wright, but then not match.

So there has to be another move involved.

$29/3 is not that bad for a vet playing more than 20-30 mpg.  Especially when Solomon Hill and Miles Plumlee are rolling off next year.

See my FO dictates. We're not competitive this year and we're not going to mess up next year's cap sheet on what is an overpay. The FO isn't going to overpay.

27 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Don't want a guard who can't shoot if they do sign another one

Options.

PGs

Trey Burke

Jerian Grant

Shabazz Napier

The free agent list doesn't look that good only thing left is Jabri Parker and Kelly Oubre(restricted)

I think Napier signed somewhere.  

Jeremy Lin is still out there.

6 minutes ago, Ja_Rules said:

I agree that Melton has some Delon and even more Bradley in him, but he is too young to count on him, Delon was Lowry backup for a long time, and played great here. Im not saying we should match any offer for him, but 9.5 mil/year is not that big of price for his services.

Delon was Lowry backup until Vanvleet got there. Every player that got traded here last year and did well should get the Marshon Brooks treatment, cause it was a very similar circumstance. 

Why lock up Delon and stunt Melton's development? The team may or may not be contending for the playoffs in the next three years, but they definitely won't be next season so next year should be a season where you figure out which of the young players are worth keeping and developing and the direction and types of players the team needs to be looking for.

The FO haven't made any moves to to jumble up the cap space going forward, so let's continue to trust their process. Delon Wright isn't that important to start questioning their moves.

Just now, ALT GRIND said:

I think Napier signed somewhere.  

Jeremy Lin is still out there.

Yea he was traded in the DLo trade to GS so I guess he was never a FA

5 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

See my FO dictates. We're not competitive this year and we're not going to mess up next year's cap sheet on what is an overpay. The FO isn't going to overpay.

Correct they have made very calculated decisions so far 

10 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

At some point, this FO will need to overpay......Robert.

19 minutes ago, WVgrizz said:

Tyus Jones. Get a sign and trade going 

Don't think they want to give up assets for Tyus Jones

13 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

At some point, this FO will need to overpay......Robert.

Don't think now is the time for that especially for a back up guard 

Will Delladova fit into the Wright trade exception? He’s $9.6m expiring. Would give us a backup PG. Plus it would get it would get Cleveland out of the tax. What would they pay for that? 

Here's a list of remaining FA by position. I would go after Jones/Lin and Parker and call it a day:

Point guards

1. Tyus Jones - RFA

2. Jeremy Lin - UFA

3. Jerian Grant - UFA

Shooting guards

1. Justin Holiday - UFA

2. Lance Stephenson - UFA

3. Iman Shumpert - UFA

4. Jamal Crawford - UFA

5. Nik Stauskas - UFA

6. David Nwaba - RFA

7. Jodie Meeks - UFA

Forwards

1. Kelly Oubre Jr. - RFA

2. Jabari Parker - RFA

3. Kenneth Faried - UFA

4. Vince Carter - UFA

5. Carmelo Anthony - UFA

6. Thabo Sefolosha - UFA

7. Jonas Jerebko - UFA

Centres

1. Pau Gasol - UFA

2. Nene - UFA

3. Amir Johnson - UFA

4. Zaza Pachulia - UFA

25 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Will Delladova fit into the Wright trade exception? He’s $9.6m expiring. Would give us a backup PG. Plus it would get it would get Cleveland out of the tax. What would they pay for that? 

Matt Hrdlicka(@theRealHrdlicka) tweeted at 2019-07-07 15:53:
MEM will generate $4mm-$4.5mm trade exception. https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1147970997292810241

--
Get the clean and fast Twitter app at http://echofon.com

6 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Here's a list of remaining FA by position. I would go after Jones/Lin and Parker and call it a day:

Point guards

1. Tyus Jones - RFA

2. Jeremy Lin - UFA

3. Jerian Grant - UFA

Shooting guards

1. Justin Holiday - UFA

2. Lance Stephenson - UFA

3. Iman Shumpert - UFA

4. Jamal Crawford - UFA

5. Nik Stauskas - UFA

6. David Nwaba - RFA

7. Jodie Meeks - UFA

Forwards

1. Kelly Oubre Jr. - RFA

2. Jabari Parker - RFA

3. Kenneth Faried - UFA

4. Vince Carter - UFA

5. Carmelo Anthony - UFA

6. Thabo Sefolosha - UFA

7. Jonas Jerebko - UFA

Centres

1. Pau Gasol - UFA

2. Nene - UFA

3. Amir Johnson - UFA

4. Zaza Pachulia - UFA

I would be ok with Linsanity for a year. Maybe we work a S&T with someone for Oubre.