Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

1 minute ago, jtp0000 said:

Incorrect - if you fall in the bottom two you’re guaranteed to pick no later than 4th - i.e., keep your pick. 

I’m not counting on being one of the two worst teams

Just now, First Team All Memphis said:

first off, its clear you don't watch basketball. second off, we have 6 playoff vets on this team to help those young guys and 3 champions. the TEAM can fight for a playoff spot. if JJJ takes that second year leap, why cant they?

First off, I have probably watched a lot more basketball than you. I have been on these boards for a long time and have seen these same expectations blown up repeatedly. Expecting a two players to carry the team to the playoffs who have combined total number of NBA games under 100 is not smart. 

Second, the laughing GIF was about the new coach making a big impact. If you had been around here longer you would know that I have been pretty outspoken on how little difference a coach makes on an NBA team. 

Lighten up rookie and show some respect for the posters before going off like you are some expert on a subject you are simply a fan about just like the rest of us. 

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

First off, I have probably watched a lot more basketball than you. I have been on these boards for a long time and have seen these same expectations blown up repeatedly. Expecting a two players to carry the team to the playoffs who have combined total number of NBA games under 100 is not smart. 

Second, the laughing GIF was about the new coach making a big impact. If you had been around here longer you would know that I have been pretty outspoken on how little difference a coach makes on an NBA team. 

Lighten up rookie and show some respect for the posters before going off like you are some expert on a subject you are simply a fan about just like the rest of us. 

dude this is a message board. shut up. I say what I wanna say. and I'm not expecting the team to be lead by JUST two young guys. again, I exptecting the 6 vets that have playoff minutes and the 3 guys who are gonna get championship rings this year to help lead us and the coach who has been apart of more 60 win teams and conference finals than this team has ever seen. [toke]

Edited by 10SC-2-TOKYO
Rule Violation

Tanking is not an option for such small market team like ours.

We love the Grizz but in order to build a core group we have to be patient like with did with  young Mike and Gasol back in the day.

23 minutes ago, First Team All Memphis said:

true, true. don't get me wrong, I most def, see your point. I know that pushing for the playoffs is like the best of what could happen for us. the way I think of it is like this, is you have 4 guys in your starting line up that can get you at least 15 per game ,with a strong bench, then that team is gonna at the very least, be competitive. now, this is assuming we bring back ab but ja, ab, jae crowder if he plays starter minutes, jjj and jv, can all go for at least 15 any night and average at least that amount for the season, maybe not jae but nevertheless,, with 2 of those guys able to go for 20. like I said, with talent like that, the team can at least have a chance to win in every game. and the fact that we have playoff vets on our team that know how to win to supplement the youthful guys. AB, Delon, CJ, Jonas, Jae, Kyle anderson, Corver, all have played minutes on playoff teams and know how to win.

As someone who has been around a long time and seen a lot of basketball I want to remind you of something a former GM of the Grizzlies, Jerry West, once said. The worst place to be in the NBA is in the middle. Too good to get a difference making draft pick and too bad to compete for a title. The scenario you are pushing is exactly what Jerry West wanted to avoid at all costs. 

But I suppose Jerry West hasn't seen enough basketball for you either. 

6 minutes ago, First Team All Memphis said:

first off, its clear you don't watch basketball. second off, we have 6 playoff vets on this team to help those young guys and 3 champions. the TEAM can fight for a playoff spot. if JJJ takes that second year leap, why cant they?

Because they are devoid of playoff level talent. Name one of those vets that has been a large part of winning? The answer is none. JJJ and JA would have to be superstar level to drag these dudes to the playoffs. 

They can however spend this year learning how to win, pick up some legit pieces next summer and make a run at the playoffs though. 

2 minutes ago, First Team All Memphis said:

dude this is a message board. shut up. I say what I wanna say. and I'm not expecting the team to be lead by JUST two young guys. again, I exptecting the 6 vets that have playoff minutes and the 3 guys who are gonna get championship rings this year to help lead us and the coach who has been apart of more 60 win teams and conference finals than this team has ever seen. bum

Good luck with those dreams. I sincerely hope you are correct and Chandler Parsons and the rest of our playoff veterans carry the team while the youth is learning the game.  

30 minutes ago, First Team All Memphis said:

true, true. don't get me wrong, I most def, see your point. I know that pushing for the playoffs is like the best of what could happen for us. the way I think of it is like this, is you have 4 guys in your starting line up that can get you at least 15 per game ,with a strong bench, then that team is gonna at the very least, be competitive. now, this is assuming we bring back ab but ja, ab, jae crowder if he plays starter minutes, jjj and jv, can all go for at least 15 any night and average at least that amount for the season, maybe not jae but nevertheless,, with 2 of those guys able to go for 20. like I said, with talent like that, the team can at least have a chance to win in every game. and the fact that we have playoff vets on our team that know how to win to supplement the youthful guys. AB, Delon, CJ, Jonas, Jae, Kyle, Corver, all have played minutes on playoff teams and know how to win.

This team has exactly zero players who have averaged 15 points a game for their careers. 

Banking on four guys to do it is just comical. 

15 minutes ago, First Team All Memphis said:

so you want the grizzlies to be one of the worst two teams in the league???

Want? Absolutely not. 

But this team is going to be a bottom five team - no question about it. 

And to me there’s not much difference in those two outcomes. You sucked for a year. Might as well guarantee you keep your pick. 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

As someone who has been around a long time and seen a lot of basketball I want to remind you of something a former GM of the Grizzlies, Jerry West, once said. The worst place to be in the NBA is in the middle. Too good to get a difference making draft pick and too bad to compete for a title. The scenario you are pushing is exactly what Jerry West wanted to avoid at all costs. 

But I suppose Jerry West hasn't seen enough basketball for you either. 

I don’t necessarily agree with this. When you have 2 high level young talents I think that is the time to start trying to win, assuming Ja turns into a high level player. 

We have been at the bottom 2 straight years. If they can make a jump in wins make that jump, if they suck, I’m not mad at that either.  

2 minutes ago, jtp0000 said:

Want? Absolutely not. 

But this team is going to be a bottom five team - no question about it. 

And to me there’s not much difference in those two seasons. You sucked for a year. Might as well guarantee you keep your pick. 

I hope you are wrong and the team surprises us with their maturity and performance. Unfortunately I don't believe you are wrong but at least this team is going to be bad with a plan to get better rather than a plan to just get older. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

I hope you are wrong and the team surprises us with their maturity and performance. Unfortunately I don't believe you are wrong but at least this team is going to be bad with a plan to get better rather than a plan to just get older. 

You’re exactly right. We all want the Grizzlies in the playoffs competing for championships. 

But you know how you get there? With star players. I believe we have two of them and I’d like to get one more. After that, you do everything you can to win. 

21 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

Tanking is not an option for such small market team like ours.

We love the Grizz but in order to build a core group we have to be patient like with did with  young Mike and Gasol back in the day.

Small market teams can survive it. It would only truly be a one year tank. They’ve been bad for the last two seasons but they certainly weren’t tanking - they were trying to win. You know what drives attendance? Stars. Watching Ja throw lobs to Jaren and Clarke should sell tickets even if they lose. 

1 minute ago, jtp0000 said:

You’re exactly right. We all want the Grizzlies in the playoffs competing for championships. 

But you know how you get there? With star players. I believe we have two of them and I’d like to get one more. After that, you do everything you can to win. 

Works for me. I just want Ja and JJJ to make it through the season without major injury right now. 

24 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

😂😂😂😂 These newer posters need to check the join date and post count before they go at certain people with their 'opinions" 😮😮😮

2 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

😂😂😂😂 These newer posters need to check the join date and post count before they go at certain people with their 'opinions" 😮😮😮

Weird. I just saw I was credited with 19,380 posts. I wonder what happened to my other posts considering I wrote a rather long post once after crossing 20,000 posts about 6 or 7 years ago. 

If we are still talking about free agents and wings to be exact I think Danuel House from Houston and Jake Layman from Portland can be cheap to get. I wouldn't want to commit long term for more than 3 mill with either though.

I feel the team should look for summer league standouts or GLeague guys and try and find a diamond in the rough type for cheap as opposed to signing a back up level guy for real money and expecting some breakout performance.

Just now, chipc3 said:

Weird. I just saw I was credited with 19,380 posts. I wonder what happened to my other posts considering I wrote a rather long post once after crossing 20,000 posts about 6 or 7 years ago. 

Maybe they get purged after so many 🤔

34 minutes ago, jtp0000 said:

Incorrect - if you fall in the bottom two you’re guaranteed to pick no later than 4th - i.e., keep your pick. 

Incorrect - if you fall in the bottom two you’re guaranteed to pick no later than 6th - i.e., keep your pick. 

11 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

Incorrect - if you fall in the bottom two you’re guaranteed to pick no later than 6th - i.e., keep your pick. 

Image result for you are correct sir GIF

Or as I like to say...

Image result for you are correct sir GIF

7 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

Yup.

16 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

Gotcha. Point still remains, you can do things to guarantee you keep it. 

On 6/24/2019 at 9:44 PM, First Team All Memphis said:

delon wright is a good combo forward but he aint loggin many minutes at the 2. we have Dillon grayson and hopefully Bradley holding down those minutes. I have no doubt this FO is gonna bring back JV and Delon. delon might be back at the full MLE. they can find delon 20-25 minutes a night behind Ja imo. they found the time when he was playing behind both mike and avery.

If Delon is playing behind Ja and not at the 2, then your maths mean that Ja is only playing 23-28mpg.

Unless Ja is garbage which I highly doubt, Ja is going to be playing more than 20-25mpg.

Dillon is a board line trade IMO, we don't even know if Grayson can play, and its very long odds that Avery remains on the roster