Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

12 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I hate super teams contrived by the players.

I just wish Kawhi had stayed with Toronto.  One of my pet peeves is players retiring after they win a championship and what Kawhi is doing is just as bad. He should have stayed at Toronto and defended the title with the champs.

5 minutes ago, King Dork said:

The real question is will OKC blow It to the ground and trade Westbrook to the east. That would be 1 less playoff team to contend with.  

Don't say blow it to the ground and okc in the same sentence unless you want your phone tapped by the FBI.. seriously though they need to hit the reset while Westbrook is still playing at a high level, he might net another 4 picks and nice prospect too

3 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

We are not trying to win now so not to worried :) but OKC has westbrick and don’t see them making playoffs without PG13

As long as Lebron and the Lakers don't win the championship next year I'm good. The Grizzlies did finish strong this past year though.  I just hope we can maintain the little bit of momentum we had.  I hate to see Avery Bradley go, but his salary had to go.

15 minutes ago, etngrizz said:

I just wish Kawhi had stayed with Toronto.  One of my pet peeves is players retiring after they win a championship and what Kawhi is doing is just as bad. He should have stayed at Toronto and defended the title with the champs.

He never chose to go to Toronto, and he didn't complain once he was traded there. He didn't miss a single playoff game and carried that team to a championship ring. Feel like he's earned the ability to go to the city he wants to. He's not even joining the Davis/James combo - he'll continue to be the best player, just now it's with the Clippers. I don't mind this outcome.

1 minute ago, ACGrizz said:

He never chose to go to Toronto, and he didn't complain once he was traded there. He didn't miss a single playoff game and carried that team to a championship ring. Feel like he's earned the ability to go to the city he wants to. He's not even joining the Davis/James combo - he'll continue to be the best player, just now it's with the Clippers. I don't mind this outcome.

You're right.  He's earned the right to go wherever and I'm also thankful we don't have to endure another Laker superteam (not that they won't be good as is).   I just think it would have been cool to see how Toronto would have done with Kawhi for another year..  

26 minutes ago, etngrizz said:

What happens with the Grizzlies now?  If we don't keep Delon, our remaining guards will be Ja, Grayson Allen and Melton. Even if we do manage to retain Delon we will still be very thin at guard.  Some have mentioned Kris Dunn.  There aren't many left.

Hayzues Christo no! Dunn is another guard that can’t shoot. I’ll pass so much even as to say I’d rather play Anderson fringe minutes at the point. 

10 minutes ago, etngrizz said:

You're right.  He's earned the right to go wherever and I'm also thankful we don't have to endure another Laker superteam (not that they won't be good as is).   I just think it would have been cool to see how Toronto would have done with Kawhi for another year..  

Ya, I hear you. I also wanted him to stay in Toronto, but this is the 2nd best outcome imo. Clippers traded a LOT to get PG - they've basically written off the NBA Draft entirely for nearly the full upcoming decade. Couple that with what the Lakers have done, and I'm hopeful our young guys will be ready to be meaningful contender right around the time some of these teams start falling off.

2 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Ya, I hear you. I also wanted him to stay in Toronto, but this is the 2nd best outcome imo. Clippers traded a LOT to get PG - they've basically written off the NBA Draft entirely for nearly the full upcoming decade. Couple that with what the Lakers have done, and I'm hopeful our young guys will be ready to be meaningful contender right around the time some of these teams start falling off.

Exactly - until we're ready to make our Clippers like move to win it all.

2 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Clippers will be fun to watch.  Hopefully they can crush the Lakers.  Also, Kawhi must have grown up a Clipper fan and I can totally respect that as I've always pulled for underdogs too.

4 minutes ago, etngrizz said:

Clippers will be fun to watch.  Hopefully they can crush the Lakers.  Also, Kawhi must have grown up a Clipper fan and I can totally respect that as I've always pulled for underdogs too.

I gotta say, outside of anyone wearing a Grizz uniform, Kawhi is my favorite player. It would have been verrrrry difficult to continue to love him if he joined the Lakers. It sucks to me he went to the Clippers because its just another super team, but you're right that they will be a lot of fun to watch. Great move by Jerry West, the GOAT. If you have an opportunity to get Kawhi/PG and win a title, there is no price too high.

Danny Green to the Lakers 30/2.

KCP staying with the Lakers 16/2

Mavs miss out which means they probably gonna go hard for Delon

3 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Danny Green to the Lakers 30/2.

KCP staying with the Lakers 16/2

Mavs miss out which means they probably gonna go hard for Delon

I think they can only offer the MLE, which is not nothing, but is definitely something we'll match.

8 hours ago, Dwash said:

Bradley will be traded before Monday. This FO is on a mission to do everything it has set out to do. No stone will be left unturnes.

Bradley has been waived to save the $10 million hit on our cap space. 

5 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Clippers traded FIVE future 1st round picks, Gligeous-Alexander AND Gallanari for Kawhi/George. Holy ****. Never seen anything like it.

5 hours ago, etngrizz said:

The Clippers are sending the Thunder four unprotected first-round picks, one protected first-round pick and two pick swaps, league sources tell Wojnarowski.

They overpaid for George, but got Kawhi and a great duo to face the Fakers. If they have kept Shai they would be favorites, but they now have a big hole in the pg position, might trade for one since there is not a great group of pg available. Would they have enought money to give us some trouble of matching Delon? Is the Mavs our biggest competitor for his services?

Yea with the Mavs losing on basically every free agent they target (Danny Green the latest) I expect them to give Delon a pretty big offer around 10m to 11m.

1 hour ago, Ja_Rules said:

They overpaid for George, but got Kawhi and a great duo to face the Fakers. If they have kept Shai they would be favorites, but they now have a big hole in the pg position, might trade for one since there is not a great group of pg available. Would they have enought money to give us some trouble of matching Delon? Is the Mavs our biggest competitor for his services?

They still have Pat Beverly. Their backcourt is actually their strength right now: Beverly/Kawhi/PG with Shamet and Lou Williams off the bench. That's about as good as it gets.

They need frontcourt help. They pretty much only have Montrezl Harrell. I would assume they'll resign JaMychal Green and Ivica Zubac soon though.

6 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

most exciting nba offseason in a while 

5 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

ever

No doubt.

I'm almost disappointed if about 6 hours goes by and something doesn't happen.

That 4th of July break has been the only let up.

I have a feeling this is going to backfire on the Clippers.  I mean, if that's what needed to be done in order to net Paul George, and Kawhi by extension, then I guess so be it, but how much better is Paul George than Danilo Gallinari really?  You don't mortgage your future for the next decade just so you can become maybe the third or fourth best team in your conference for a couple seasons.  

39 minutes ago, BTiger3733 said:

They still have Pat Beverly. Their backcourt is actually their strength right now: Beverly/Kawhi/PG with Shamet and Lou Williams off the bench. That's about as good as it gets.

They need frontcourt help. They pretty much only have Montrezl Harrell. I would assume they'll resign JaMychal Green and Ivica Zubac soon though.

Shamet and Lou aren't pgs. I see them getting Green and Morris, also matching Zubac.