Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

9 hours ago, jtp0000 said:

There is just no chance this team is making the playoffs this year. 

I just think exactly the opposite.  im pretty sure JJJ, JA and JV  will be great this year. Wait and See...

1 minute ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

I just think exactly the opposite.  im pretty sure JJJ, JA and JV  will be great this year. Wait and See...

Conley and Gasol couldn't come close to dragging us into the playoffs with the FO giving all sorts of help in high IQ veterans in the hopes of conveying. 

If you think a second year player and a rookie together with an average center is getting you into the playoffs in today's West, you are either clowning or have faith that moves mountains. 

This team has a better chance of getting a top 6 pick than making the playoffs. Which would be the best thing for the franchise in my opinion.

12 hours ago, ALBZ said:

Why is there excitement about this🤢? With all the quality free agents and the exciting young talent we have why are Delon and JV our first targets? I know that we are “rebuilding” but why not pursue some of the top guys? If Jaren and Ja are as good as they say, getting about average to elite talent to play with them, no matter how young the team, is essential. We can’t trade Delon and JV as pieces for an All-Star. I’m sure they want market value salaries and neither is a three-point threat. Help me someone lol.

because they proved they are good players??? you couldn't have watch the grizzlies this past year talking like this. They themselves are quality free agents. its good to have chemistry ya know. delon averaged 15, 8, 8 down the stretch and Jonas averaged 19 and 10 in 27 minutes per game with us. call me crazy,  but i'd take guys that can put up those numbers on my team.

16 hours ago, chipc3 said:

This is from the NBA's CBA 101 document.

In effect the Grizzlies will be relinquishing the contract in agreement with the player. As I understand it, Bradley will be put on waivers if his option is not picked up and the rules apply as stated above. The Grizzlies will only be responsible for the amount of money guaranteed  in the contract in that case. 

that would suck if that's how it worked out. are you sure that applies to avery tho? I just saw were the knicks waived lance Thomas yesterday and only paid  a million dollars of the 7.6 million he was owed and both sides said they were gonna try and work out a deal to resign him during free agency. that sounds a lot like the avery situation to me.

35 minutes ago, BTiger3733 said:

This team has a better chance of getting a top 6 pick than making the playoffs. Which would be the best thing for the franchise in my opinion.

Yep. This rebuild gets a serious boost if they’re smart enough to tank this season and get another top 5 pick. 

And I don’t think this team will need much “help” to tank. As is, it’s probably a 30 win team at max. With some strategic rest and trades, they’ll win 25-ish games. 

40 minutes ago, jtp0000 said:

Yep. This rebuild gets a serious boost if they’re smart enough to tank this season and get another top 5 pick. 

And I don’t think this team will need much “help” to tank. As is, it’s probably a 30 win team at max. With some strategic rest and trades, they’ll win 25-ish games. 

this mindset need to {edited}I don't care if we can get the 6th pick. never tank and put the most competitive team out there you can. don't EVER breed a losing culture and this front office aint gonna do that I believe. if this team doesn't make the playoffs ok, if 30-40 games is the most this team can win, then go for it. those players don't wanna lose. they don't care about getting another draft pick. only nerds who've never done anything athetically embrace losing for draft picks. that's 💩!

1 minute ago, First Team All Memphis said:

because they proved they are good players??? you couldn't have watch the grizzlies this past year talking like this. They themselves are quality free agents. its good to have chemistry ya know. delon averaged 15, 8, 8 down the stretch and Jonas averaged 19 and 10 in 27 minutes per game with us. call me crazy,  but i'd take guys that can put up those numbers on my team.

The problem is though,  that other teams in the west have good players also.  If you have the Grizz top 8, who is not making the playoffs?

Golden State
Lakers
Nuggets
Blazers
Clippers
Rockets
Jazz
Thunder
Spurs

I suppose it is possible that things could happen that may put us in a position to push the bottom of the playoffs but I do believe that RIGHT NOW those teams are still better than the Grizz.  Grizz are doing good things but there are a lot of very young players on the team and our primary contributors are VERY young still.  A few years of this kind of momentum and the Grizz can become a power.  I just don't see us being there yet.

13 minutes ago, Gradey said:

The problem is though,  that other teams in the west have good players also.  If you have the Grizz top 8, who is not making the playoffs?

Golden State
Lakers
Nuggets
Blazers
Clippers
Rockets
Jazz
Thunder
Spurs

I suppose it is possible that things could happen that may put us in a position to push the bottom of the playoffs but I do believe that RIGHT NOW those teams are still better than the Grizz.  Grizz are doing good things but there are a lot of very young players on the team and our primary contributors are VERY young still.  A few years of this kind of momentum and the Grizz can become a power.  I just don't see us being there yet.

true, true. don't get me wrong, I most def, see your point. I know that pushing for the playoffs is like the best of what could happen for us. the way I think of it is like this, is you have 4 guys in your starting line up that can get you at least 15 per game ,with a strong bench, then that team is gonna at the very least, be competitive. now, this is assuming we bring back ab but ja, ab, jae crowder if he plays starter minutes, jjj and jv, can all go for at least 15 any night and average at least that amount for the season, maybe not jae but nevertheless,, with 2 of those guys able to go for 20. like I said, with talent like that, the team can at least have a chance to win in every game. and the fact that we have playoff vets on our team that know how to win to supplement the youthful guys. AB, Delon, CJ, Jonas, Jae, Kyle anderson, Corver, all have played minutes on playoff teams and know how to win.

Anyone counting on a top 6 pick are playing with fire with the new lottery rules . It might be harder than the playoffs, or even too them.

2 minutes ago, First Team All Memphis said:

true, true. don't get me wrong, I most def, see your point. I know that pushing for the playoffs is like the best of what could happen for us. the way I think of it is like this, is you have 4 guys in your starting line up that can get you at least 15 per game ,with a strong bench, then that team is gonna at the very least, be competitive. now, this is assuming we bring back ab but ja, ab, jae crowder if he plays starter minutes, jjj and jv, can all go for at least 15 any night and average at least that amount for the season, maybe not jae but nevertheless,, with 2 of those guys able to go for 20. like I said, with talent like that, the team can at least have a chance to win in every game. and the fact that we have playoff vets on our team that know how to win to supplement the youthful guys. AB, Delon, CJ, Jonas, Jae, Kyle, Corver, all have played minutes on playoff teams and know how to win.

its like people forget that cj, delon and Jonas, are gonna go get championship rings this year when we visit Toronto. we have guys on this team that know what it takes and can lead the young guys like I said lol

10 minutes ago, First Team All Memphis said:

this mindset need to GTFOH. I don't care if we can get the 6th pick. never tank and put the most competitive team out there you can. don't EVER breed a losing culture and this front office aint gonna do that I believe. if this team doesn't make the playoffs ok, if 30-40 games is the most this team can win, then go for it. those players don't wanna lose. they don't care about getting another draft pick. only nerds who've never done anything athetically embrace losing for draft picks. that's crap!

This team won 33 games with Mike Conley, a half season of Marc Gasol, with a coach who had a win-now mandate or lose his job. 

Rookie PG’s are bad basketball players, Jaren is 20 years old and not ready to lead a team, and they’re breaking in a first year head coach and entirely new coaching staff. This year is going to be rough, but either you use it to your advantage and guarantee you keep your pick, or you roll the dice and still get your skull beat in most nights. 

3 minutes ago, jtp0000 said:

This team won 33 games with Mike Conley, a half season of Marc Gasol, with a coach who had a win-now mandate or lose his job. 

Rookie PG’s are bad basketball players, Jaren is 20 years old and not ready to lead a team, and they’re breaking in a first year head coach and entirely new coaching staff. This year is going to be rough, but either you use it to your advantage and guarantee you keep your pick, or you roll the dice and still get your skull beat in most nights. 

new lottery rules. aint no more losing and it gurantees a top selection. so why not just go win? we have 6 playoff vets on this team. and 3 that will get championship rings this year. aint no tanking going down this year. they gonna try and win every game.

10 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

Conley and Gasol couldn't come close to dragging us into the playoffs with the FO giving all sorts of help in high IQ veterans in the hopes of conveying. 

If you think a second year player and a rookie together with an average center is getting you into the playoffs in today's West, you are either clowning or have faith that moves mountains. 

But we have a new coach. 

Image result for haha gif

Yes we should try to win every game no one here wants to TANK but we are not making the playoffs even if we try....

So why hurt our future chances now??

Let the young guys play and develop this year there is nothing wrong with that approach.

4 minutes ago, First Team All Memphis said:

new lottery rules. aint no more losing and it gurantees a top selection. so why not just go win? we have 6 playoff vets on this team. and 3 that will get championship rings this year. aint no tanking going down this year. they gonna try and win every game.

That still doesn’t mean that people aren’t going to tank ala New York etc. If you have the worst record in the league you are guaranteed no lower than 4th pick I think. 

Just now, costarica2 said:

Yes we should try to win every game no one here wants to TANK but we are not making the playoffs even if we try....

Let the young guys play and develop this year there is nothing with that approach.

Just like they did in Atlanta

1 minute ago, costarica2 said:

Let the young guys play and develop this year there is nothing with that approach.

man, I really hope the front office, coaching staff, and players don't have that defeated mindset.

Just now, Memphis Maverick said:

Just like they did in Atlanta

Exactly also the kings in a way with Bagley and Fox.

2 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

That still doesn’t mean that people aren’t going to tank ala New York etc. If you have the worst record in the league you are guaranteed no lower than 4th pick I think. 

they aren't mane. you realized that the teams that went 1 and 2 were suppose to pick 8 and 9? all that old lottery stuff is out the window. and I don't care what other teams to. this city wont support a tanking team and this front office would never allow them to do that.

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

But we have a new coach. 

Image result for haha gif

first off, its clear you don't watch basketball. second off, we have 6 playoff vets on this team to help those young guys and 3 champions. the TEAM can fight for a playoff spot. if JJJ takes that second year leap, why cant they?

2 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

Anyone counting on a top 6 pick are playing with fire with the new lottery rules . It might be harder than the playoffs, or even too them.

Incorrect - if you fall in the bottom two you’re guaranteed to pick no later than 4th - i.e., keep your pick.