Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

41 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Delon Wright is a Point Guard who can move to the SG position since he's 6'5" tall. Avery Bradley was sent home from the team last season after his injury and I wouldn't expect the team to bring him back with his contract. Dillon Brooks, Grayson Allen and CJ Miles will likely hold down the traditional SG role with Delon being available as well. I would be shocked if Delon doesn't return since this would leave the team with only two point guards with very little experience. Ja is a true rookie with very little experience against top level college PGs much less NBA PGs and Carter isn't ready for consistent minutes. 

I expect that Delon's contract will depend a lot on what other teams are willing to offer him. He's a restricted free agent so the team will let him see what is out there for him rather than jump on signing him first. 

yeah my bad on the wording with delon. I wouldn't write off AB so early. I don't remember him being "sent home" after his injury. I wanna say I remember him being on the bench. The fact that he performed so well while he was here and has family here, I think, says a lot about him returning. I think this new FO is putting an emphasize on good people and good players. ab is both. if he can come back for the full MLE, that would be great.

19 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I think Maxi Kleber is a big the Grizz should spend some money on he's a rim protecting stretch big but he's a restricted FA with Dallas of the Grizz give him an offer sheet early they may have a chance to steal him aways cause Dallas will be worried with big name guys and matching any KP offers.

I also think they should bring Dorsey back he's only 22 will be 23 next season and he played resonably well this off season

Im 100% with ya on kleber he's a baller .hes good and what he's good at gets teams wins. 

4 minutes ago, First Team All Memphis said:

yeah my bad on the wording with delon. I wouldn't write off AB so early. I don't remember him being "sent home" after his injury. I wanna say I remember him being on the bench. The fact that he performed so well while he was here and has family here, I think, says a lot about him returning. I think this new FO is putting an emphasize on good people and good players. ab is both. if he can come back for the full MLE, that would be great.

Avery Bradley has a contract so he won't be back for the MLE. The Grizzlies have the option to pay him $12.9 million or release him and owe him $2 million. If they release him they can't resign him right away. And Bradley was sent home, he wasn't on the bench down the stretch and he wasn't at media day after the season ended. 

23 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I think Maxi Kleber is a big the Grizz should spend some money on he's a rim protecting stretch big but he's a restricted FA with Dallas of the Grizz give him an offer sheet early they may have a chance to steal him aways cause Dallas will be worried with big name guys and matching any KP offers.

I also think they should bring Dorsey back he's only 22 will be 23 next season and he played resonably well this off season

We have a roster crunch no need to bring back Dorsey.    He doesn't add anything that Grayson can't do.   Plus Grasyon has a higher ceiling than him due to better physical tools (athleticism, wingspan).   I'd rather give that development time to Jevon and GAllen than adding another low ceiling youngster.  

If I was front office i'd ask Jae Crowder if he is willing to stay and be vet leadership for the cubs.    Delon i am bringing back for sure.  Because we def need vet PG> 

I want both JV and Delon back on a reasonable 3 year deal. I want to sign Oubre to a 3-4 year deal worth 13-14M per. If PHO renounce his rights and go for DLo then I think we may have a chance.

2 hours ago, First Team All Memphis said:

ditto.  moves like this will have the grizz in playoff contention.

There is just no chance this team is making the playoffs this year. 

ditto.  moves like this will have the grizz in playoff contention.

Yeah I hope we keep everyone too!

This team has a ton of momentum and has it's super-duo of the future (Ja-Jaren) and some other young guns like Dillon, Bruno, and Clarke.  We are almost maxed out with young guys except for our non-conveyed pick either in 2020 or 2021, the future Utah pick,  and future second rounders (if we have any).   

The West looks wide open.

At the end of the year the JV/Bruno combo with Delon Wright running the show actually looked good.  

Let's build on the momentum and give Boston a mediocre pick.  Then I can start on my 2021 Big Board.  

if they decline his team option, they could bring him back at the full MLE. but yeah, at 13 milli, they aint picking up that option I don't believe.

Yep, I’d be looking at trading Bradley for a deal another team is needing to get off of in exchange for a pick or two. 

An example that comes to mind is Charlotte. If Kemba comes back they are going to have to trade either MKG or Biyombo in order to stay under the tax. We trade them Bradley for one of those guys and a future 1st or a handful of 2nds and then they cut him. 

13 hours ago, jtp0000 said:

What would your reasonable plan be?

Certainly wouldn't entertain bringing in Lin, R. Lopez or Zaza.

Sign JV, Wright and Noah. Waive Parsons, Bradley, and Korver. Let Dorsey, Holiday and Zeller walk.

Play Wright at primarily back up PG and sometimes at SG. Gets Carter some minutes who will be more than capable this season, possibly will even be pushing Delon out of minutes at back up PG.

Morant/ Wright or Carter (Depending on match-ups)

Brooks/ Allen/ Wright or Miles

Anderson/ Crowder/ Miles

Jackson Jr./ Clarke/ Bruno

JV/ Noah/Rabb

That's 14 guys, 13 dress of course. Yuta (two-way)

25 minutes ago, WVgrizz said:

Sign JV, Wright and Noah. Waive Parsons, Bradley, and Korver. Let Dorsey, Holiday and Zeller walk.

Play Wright at primarily back up PG and sometimes at SG. Gets Carter some minutes who will be more than capable this season, possibly will even be pushing Delon out of minutes at back up PG.

Anderson/ Crowder/ Miles

JV/ Noah/Rabb

I agree w everything here but I prefer to keep Dorsey over Noah or Rabb

Edit: realized that's not 15. Imo odd man out should be one of the bigs. Rabb or Noah.

30 minutes ago, WVgrizz said:

Anderson/ Crowder/ Miles

JV/ Noah/Rabb

I don’t think there’s much of a difference in our two strategies, and there certainly wouldn’t be a big difference in results. 

I’d go after Lin because I don’t necessarily believe in Carter as the 3rd PG but I’d be fine to let Jevon start there and see what we have. 

I’d only go after Lopez if JV walks - and I’d let him walk if his price is too high. 

Either way, I’d say those moves are probably the difference between maybe 26 wins to 29 wins. 

3 hours ago, Grizball said:

I want both JV and Delon back on a reasonable 3 year deal. I want to sign Oubre to a 3-4 year deal worth 13-14M per. If PHO renounce his rights and go for DLo then I think we may have a chance.

I like this

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Avery Bradley has a contract so he won't be back for the MLE. The Grizzlies have the option to pay him $12.9 million or release him and owe him $2 million. If they release him they can't resign him right away. And Bradley was sent home, he wasn't on the bench down the stretch and he wasn't at media day after the season ended. 

oh yeah? why cant we resign him right away if they release him into free agency? what rule is that?

1 hour ago, First Team All Memphis said:

oh yeah? why cant we resign him right away if they release him into free agency? what rule is that?

In the event that a team and a player agreed to reduce the amount of the player’s protected compensation, the team shall not be permitted to sign the player to a new player contract (or claim the player off of waivers) before the later of: (x) one year following the date that the player’s player contract with such team was terminated; or (y) the July 1 following the last season of such player contract.

This is from the NBA's CBA 101 document.

In effect the Grizzlies will be relinquishing the contract in agreement with the player. As I understand it, Bradley will be put on waivers if his option is not picked up and the rules apply as stated above. The Grizzlies will only be responsible for the amount of money guaranteed  in the contract in that case. 

1 hour ago, First Team All Memphis said:

word around town from the man chris Vernon is that within the organization, they fully plan to do what it takes to bring back both delon and JV.

Nothing earth shattering there. They have made it clear that was their intention all along. 

word around town from the man chris Vernon is that within the organization, they fully plan to do what it takes to bring back both delon and JV.

Sweet!!!! 

Good to hear.

Whats the word on Jo ? 

On 6/23/2019 at 3:46 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

With free agency soon starting, here are list of free agents for discussion.  

Current Grizzlies free agents: Delon Wright (RFA), Tyler Dorsey (RFA), JV, Joakim Noah, Justin Holiday, Tyler Zeller (I believe Yuta is technically a RFA)

Remaining free agents - please feel free to correct or update status (like various club or player options).  Generally, I didn't list a guy if they didn't average 15 mpg or more (Unless they at one time were a discussion topic on this board or former Grizzlies player).  I'm using the Spotrac.com player positions, which differ from other sites.

Guards: Kyrie, Jimmy Bulter, Klay, Rubio, Tyreke Evans, JJ Redick, Kemba, KCP, Alec Burks, Terrence Ross, Shumpert, Danny Green, Darren Collison, Rondo, Jerryd Bayless, Garrett Temple, Cory Joseph, Jeremy Lamb, Mario Hezonja, Ish Smith, Patrick Beverly, D'Angelo Russel (RFA), Lance Stephenson, Glenn Robinson, JJ Barea, Emmanuel Mudiay(RFA),Troy Daniels, Tomas Satoransky (RFA), Elfrid Payton, Seth Curry, Reggie Bullock, Ray Felton, Vince Carter, Devin Harris, Jamal Crawford, Derrick Rose, Jose Calderon, Wayne Ellington, Terry Rozier (RFA), Q Pondexter, Isaiah Thomas, Shelvin "LilTokeFan" Mack, Corey Brewer, Jerian Grant(RFA), Justin Anderson (RFA), Ian Clark, Tyus Jones (RFA), David Nwaba(RFA), Furkan Korkmaz, Wayne Selden (RFA), Ryan Arcidiacono (RFA), Trey Burke, Malcolm Brogdon (RFA), Austin Rivers, Rodney McGruder (RFA), TJ McConnell, Chasson Randle (RFA), Wes Matthews, Jeremy Lin, Nik Stauskas, Tim Frazier, Jimmer Fredette, Brandon Simpson (RFA), RJ Hunter, Kadeem Allen (RFA)

Forwards: KD, Kawhi, Paul Millsap, Harrison Barnes, Tobias Harris, Khris Middleton, Trevor Ariza, DeMarre Carroll, Jabari Parker, Kristaps (RFA), Taj Gibson, Thaddeus Young, Wilson Chandler, Bojan Bogdanovic, Rudy Gay, Jared Dudley, Julius Randle, JaM Green, Nikola Mirotic, Al-Farouq Aminu, Ant Tolliver, Thabo Sefolosha, Marcus & Markieff Morris, Mike Muscala, Dragan Bender, Easy Ed, Mike Scott, Stanley Johnson (RFA), Marquise Chriss, Frank Kaminsky (RFA), Trey Lyles (RFA), Dante Cunningham, Jeff Green, Luol Deng, Kelly Oubre (RFA), Jerebko, Darius Miller, Sam Dekker (RFA), James Ennis, Bobby Portis (RFA), Rondae H-J, Noah Vonleh, Luke Kornet (RFA), Jarell Martin (RFA), Richaun Holmes, Jake Layman (RFA), Dorian F-S (RFA), Maxi Kleber (RFA), Kenneth Faried, Danuel House (RFA), Alex Poythress (RFA), Troy Williams (RFA), Jaron Blossomgame (RFA)

Centers (12 mpg or more): Al Horford, D Jordan, Marc (PO), Robin & Brook Lopez, Nikola Vucevic, Kosta K, Dewayne Dedmon, DeMarcus Cousins, Kyle O'Quinn, Willie C-S (RFA), Nene, JaVale McGee, Tyson Chandler, Kevin Looney, Ivica Zubac (RFA), Thomas Bryant (RFA), Enes Kanter,  Salah Mejri, Pau Gasol, Khem Birch (RFA), Zaza and Bogut, Boban Marjanovic, Greg Monroe

Former Grizzlies are italicized, but I'm not sure I got them all.

I would LOVE to see the Memphis grizzlies sign Julius Randle

16 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Does Thabo have anything left in the tank? We could use a veteran 3 and D guy.

Vets like Thabo or Vince Carter have a place on this type of team.  It doesn't need to be those guys, but guys like them.

They have to be guys that are willing to teach and spend time around young guys, but more importantly, not complain about playing time or number of shots taken.

It'd be nice if Noah was one of them, but I don't think the Grizzlies will get him back without Parsons being here.

This Evan Turner-Kent Bazemore trade happened, which is of significance to those who want to see Rodney Hood in Beale St Blue.

5 hours ago, First Team All Memphis said:

Why is there excitement about this🤢? With all the quality free agents and the exciting young talent we have why are Delon and JV our first targets? I know that we are “rebuilding” but why not pursue some of the top guys? If Jaren and Ja are as good as they say, getting about average to elite talent to play with them, no matter how young the team, is essential. We can’t trade Delon and JV as pieces for an All-Star. I’m sure they want market value salaries and neither is a three-point threat. Help me someone lol.