Sign in to follow this  
Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

5 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Why?

That non-guaranteed contract is very valuable in that it is one of the best ways a team (probably a contender) has to get off a legitimate amount of money. 

23 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Samuel Jackson 

- never forget 

🙃

Lol this still makes me laugh to this day hahahaha

1 hour ago, costarica2 said:

Draft

Trades

That's the only way we should build our team we always have to overpay below average guys in order come here (Parsons)(Kyle Anderson more recently).

I would be super happy if we don't do anything at all this year even if it means losing a guy like Delon who I really like. 

draft trades and guys who get undervalued for some reason. Like when Millsap didn't get a good contract and was out there for way under market value

2 minutes ago, jtp0000 said:

That non-guaranteed contract is very valuable in that it is one of the best ways a team (probably a contender) has to get off a legitimate amount of money. 

If they can trade and get a decent asset, okay, but time is running out for that feature to be useful.  The decision has to be made by Sunday next, doesn't it?

3 hours ago, jtp0000 said:

I want Delon and Joakim back, JV if the money is right. 

I think I’d target Jeremy Lin as a potential backup PG or third PG if Delon comes back. 

As for C’s, if JV doesn’t come back I’d go after Robin Lopez or Zaza. Looney too but all indications are the Warriors are going to pay him. 

I’m glad you’re not running the show lol wow 

3 minutes ago, WVgrizz said:

I’m glad you’re not running the show lol wow 

What would your reasonable plan be?

32 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I seriously doubt Clark will ever see time at center.  At 207 lbs he is far too light to play center, and if he ever gains enough weight to play there it's unlikely he will have the same athletic ability.

Well, he has the skillset of a center. He's listed as 215 on Sports Reference, which is only 5 pounds lighter than Rabb even though he's 2 inches shorter. Obviously Rabb is relatively weak, but who cares. He still plays center. Montrezl Harrell plays center, and while he is significantly stronger and heavier than Clarke is currently, he's still almost as athletic and the same height. He's going to need to put on weight regardless to guard some of the more post centric PFs in the league like Millsap or Thad Young. His most value currently is to play the 5 off the bench, assuming we bring back JV. I guess you can start him at the "PF" spot, but on offense he's still clearly a five. He lives in the paint. 

Assuming Ja is going to be playing upto 30 mpg, I cant see Delon only playing 18-20 mpg, therefore if we sign Delon he might be the starting SG? Or at least see significant time next to Ja on court?

44 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

Assuming Ja is going to be playing upto 30 mpg, I cant see Delon only playing 18-20 mpg, therefore if we sign Delon he might be the starting SG? Or at least see significant time next to Ja on court?

Thats what I would think. 

Resign Delon and JV. Go for a wing with the MLE. So now you have this roster...

Ja/Delon/Jevon

Brooks/Bradley/Korver/Allen

Anderson/Jae/Miles/Parsons

Jaren/Clarke/Caboclo

JV/Rabb

...and you have to trade somebody if you want to fit the MLE wing. I guess Korver is out (not sure about Bradley due to Ja's problems on defense). You have four small forwards or four power forwards (depends on which position do you think Crowder fits better). That's an issue too.

I guess they're gonna try to move (or waive) Parsons and Rabb. So you end up with...

Ja/Delon

Brooks/Bradley/Allen

Jae/Miles/Caboclo

Jaren/Anderson/Clarke

JV/Jaren

All things consider, I don't know if I'm throwing the MLE to anybody. Lots of bodies on the roster.

3 hours ago, JWill4L said:

Resign Delon and JV. Go for a wing with the MLE. So now you have this roster...

Ja/Delon/Jevon

Brooks/Bradley/Korver/Allen

Anderson/Jae/Miles/Parsons

Jaren/Clarke/Caboclo

JV/Rabb

...and you have to trade somebody if you want to fit the MLE wing. I guess Korver is out (not sure about Bradley due to Ja's problems on defense). You have four small forwards or four power forwards (depends on which position do you think Crowder fits better). That's an issue too.

I guess they're gonna try to move (or waive) Parsons and Rabb. So you end up with...

Ja/Delon

Brooks/Bradley/Allen

Jae/Miles/Caboclo

Jaren/Anderson/Clarke

JV/Jaren

All things consider, I don't know if I'm throwing the MLE to anybody. Lots of bodies on the roster.

I think it's more likely Korver stays than Bradley, he was at Atlanta with Taylor Jenkins and is still an elite shooter. Miles can play SG too which clears some of the logjam at SF. 

It's really hard to know what they're going to do though, you could make a case to keep or try to move on from any of the older vets, I guess it will depend on what offers come in. 

6 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Well, he has the skillset of a center. He's listed as 215 on Sports Reference, which is only 5 pounds lighter than Rabb even though he's 2 inches shorter. Obviously Rabb is relatively weak, but who cares. He still plays center. Montrezl Harrell plays center, and while he is significantly stronger and heavier than Clarke is currently, he's still almost as athletic and the same height. He's going to need to put on weight regardless to guard some of the more post centric PFs in the league like Millsap or Thad Young. His most value currently is to play the 5 off the bench, assuming we bring back JV. I guess you can start him at the "PF" spot, but on offense he's still clearly a five. He lives in the paint. 

At the combine he was 207.2 lbs.  I do not think he will ever play center but we will see.  I think he will be a high energy b/u PF or SF.

11 hours ago, jtp0000 said:

I want Delon and Joakim back, JV if the money is right. 

I think I’d target Jeremy Lin as a potential backup PG or third PG if Delon comes back. 

As for C’s, if JV doesn’t come back I’d go after Robin Lopez or Zaza. Looney too but all indications are the Warriors are going to pay him. 

why would you want lin as a 3rd pg when we have Jevon Carter?

7 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Thats what I would think. 

delon wright is a good combo forward but he aint loggin many minutes at the 2. we have Dillon grayson and hopefully Bradley holding down those minutes. I have no doubt this FO is gonna bring back JV and Delon. delon might be back at the full MLE. they can find delon 20-25 minutes a night behind Ja imo. they found the time when he was playing behind both mike and avery.

4 minutes ago, First Team All Memphis said:

delon wright is a good combo forward but he aint loggin many minutes at the 2. we have Dillon grayson and hopefully Bradley holding down those minutes. I have no doubt this FO is gonna bring back JV and Delon. delon might be back at the full MLE. they can find delon 20-25 minutes a night behind Ja imo. they found the time when he was playing behind both mike and avery.

Maybe . I mean this roster is kind of in flux right now .ill take JA/Dillon starting if AB is gone . maybe Allen / Dillon come out gunning but they would have to earn that spot imo.

3 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Maybe . I mean this roster is kind of in flux right now .ill take JA/Dillon starting if AB is gone . maybe Allen / Dillon come out gunning but they would have to earn that spot imo.

hell yeah. I agree with you there. the fact that we can bring 20 guys into the training camp roster is gonna be big for us as the roster stands now. there are gonna be some BATTLES in training camp for starting spots, back up spots, and roster spots. this team is gonna cut/trade a good player or two this offseason.

Just now, First Team All Memphis said:

hell yeah. I agree with you there. the fact that we can bring 20 guys into the training camp roster is gonna be big for us as the roster stands now. there are gonna be some BATTLES in training camp for starting spots, back up spots, and roster spots. this team is gonna cut/trade a good player or two this offseason.

Yeah I think we will see some nice players moved . I'm not sure who because i like them all really . i like the new FO and really can't wait . I really wouldnt blame them if they think getting JA,JJJ,Clarke IS the rebuild.

48 minutes ago, First Team All Memphis said:

Delon Wright is a Point Guard who can move to the SG position since he's 6'5" tall. Avery Bradley was sent home from the team last season after his injury and I wouldn't expect the team to bring him back with his contract. Dillon Brooks, Grayson Allen and CJ Miles will likely hold down the traditional SG role with Delon being available as well. I would be shocked if Delon doesn't return since this would leave the team with only two point guards with very little experience. Ja is a true rookie with very little experience against top level college PGs much less NBA PGs and Carter isn't ready for consistent minutes. 

I expect that Delon's contract will depend a lot on what other teams are willing to offer him. He's a restricted free agent so the team will let him see what is out there for him rather than jump on signing him first. 

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

At the combine he was 207.2 lbs.  I do not think he will ever play center but we will see.  I think he will be a high energy b/u PF or SF.

Clarke ain't playing 5 spot at 6'8 and 215.. your the opposing coach, they would feast on that matchup...and huge difference in speed , size and strength between college and NBA...he will be a very good 4.

1 hour ago, First Team All Memphis said:

D Wright plays point.

Or am I mis-remembering ?

I think he’s a perfect vet backup for this squad.

I think the lines of position are blurring super fast...

Soon I believe we are gonna see teams with :

long / tall

quick

ambidextrous

switch on everything

teapot handles

close to 7 ft wingspans who fly down the court in transition 

pick and roll / pop in the half court 

basketball.players. 

I think Maxi Kleber is a big the Grizz should spend some money on he's a rim protecting stretch big but he's a restricted FA with Dallas of the Grizz give him an offer sheet early they may have a chance to steal him aways cause Dallas will be worried with big name guys and matching any KP offers.

I also think they should bring Dorsey back he's only 22 will be 23 next season and he played resonably well this off season

22 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Dillon Brooks, Grayson Allen and CJ Miles will likely hold down the traditional SG role with Delon being available as well. I would be shocked if Delon doesn't return since this would leave the team with only two point guards with very little experience. Ja is a true rookie with very little experience against top level college PGs much less NBA PGs and Carter isn't ready for consistent minutes

Agreed.

* caveat - Carter , right now, seems to be a decent to good defender , but I would not trust him at the pg spot running plays and setting the table.

Guys with one skill are not too difficult to get later on down the line to add to a team that needs that little bit extra.

And I actually like Carter. Enjoyed watching him with the Hustle. Down there he looked like a tenacious defender. When he got the call-up though , he looked overmatched. 

11 hours ago, Ja_Rules said:

QO Delon and match it (if he isn't overpaid), resign Noah cheap, resign JV (dont overpay) or TPE Adams. 

Keep Bradley, Korver, Crowder and CJ.

ditto.  moves like this will have the grizz in playoff contention.