Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies/NBA Free Agency Thread

16 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Jaren's two main weaknesses are strength and BBIQ. Both will should/could come with age. No, he'll never be a great rebounder, but once he's stronger he'll should/could be better at least. Plus it'll should/could help him finish inside at a higher rate and help his post game. His IQ can get better on defense to help him quit fouling as often, and will help him increase his rebounding at least a little bit as well. He has the length, athleticism, and skill level. He's not a low motor player either, but he does lack a killer drive like Dillon or Ja. The Giannis comparison is fair, not because he'll be that good, but he is still growing into his body like Giannis was at that age. 

Dillon lacks the length and athleticism, and can get better at his skill game as well (and IQ, because he fouls a lot as well). 

I agree with the small changes I made. There are no guarantees that age will make JJJ smarter and stronger. It could and it should but as the old saying goes "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts wouldn't it be a merry Christmas?

I remember people saying once Shawn Bradley put on some weight and got some experience he'd be an all star. Didn't quite work out (although he did a role on Space Jam). Not everyone reaches the potential people see for them for a number of different reasons not the least of which not having the desire and drive to reach that difficult standard. It isn't easy. 

JJJ was raised by a NBA player, has played all his life, learned from Tom Izzo and people are still waiting for his BBIQ to kick in. That's a bit disturbing. He has incredible natural ability but his drive is lacking which, in my humble opinion, is why he doesn't rebound better not lack of lower body strength or BBIQ. Lionel Hollins and Hubie Brown both used to say rebounding was about desire not technique. Either a player has it or he doesn't. It's not something that can be taught.

I hope they were wrong and you are correct. It would be nice to see our 6-11 PF getting more than 4.7 RPG. 

8 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I agree with the small changes I made. There are no guarantees that age will make JJJ smarter and stronger. It could and it should but as the old saying goes "if ifs and buts were candy and nuts wouldn't it be a merry Christmas?

I remember people saying once Shawn Bradley put on some weight and got some experience he'd be an all star. Didn't quite work out (although he did a role on Space Jam). Not everyone reaches the potential people see for them for a number of different reasons not the least of which not having the desire and drive to reach that difficult standard. It isn't easy. 

JJJ was raised by a NBA player, has played all his life, learned from Tom Izzo and people are still waiting for his BBIQ to kick in. That's a bit disturbing. He has incredible natural ability but his drive is lacking which, in my humble opinion, is why he doesn't rebound better not lack of lower body strength or BBIQ. Lionel Hollins and Hubie Brown both used to say rebounding was about desire not technique. Either a player has it or he doesn't. It's not something that can be taught.

I hope they were wrong and you are correct. It would be nice to see our 6-11 PF getting more than 4.7 RPG. 

I agree, but I've seen him just get moved out of the way when boxing out far too many times to count. That's why I think once he gets lower body strength, he'll be better at it. He's just so tall and skinny that his center of mass is very high, which allows smaller guys to just manhandle him at times. Guys like PJ Tucker or Draymond. I think he can learn at least a little bit like not to face guard when boxing out or not getting his elbows into smaller players' faces. Those are the IQ things that certainly don't help, and lead to fouls (and no rebounds). I think he can average between 6-7 rebounds per game just by fixing that. Not great but better. He'll have to want it more to ever average 9 or 10 rebounds.