Ole Dirty Klondike

Summer League Signings

John Konchar, Purdue-Fort Wayne: This 23-year-old guard from Purdue-Fort Wayne was the most statistically dominant college player you’ve never heard of. He led the NCAA with a 63 percent true shooting percentage and led in offensive rating, and even though he’s just 6-foot-5, he had the second-best rebound rate. For his college career, he shot 42 percent from behind the arc. 

Plus he overcame being white to accomplish all that. 

22 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

John Konchar, Purdue-Fort Wayne: This 23-year-old guard from Purdue-Fort Wayne was the most statistically dominant college player you’ve never heard of. He led the NCAA with a 63 percent true shooting percentage and led in offensive rating, and even though he’s just 6-foot-5, he had the second-best rebound rate. For his college career, he shot 42 percent from behind the arc. 

His name is too close to Jon Koncac.  That's a big struggle too.  RealGM couldn't find his stats.  

He might be the OJ Mayo of the future and the guy the team who drafted Tyler Herro thinks Tyler Herro is.  

Someone compared Konchar to Dorsey.  I would venture to say - from what I saw - that he will be better than Dorsey (who I'm not too high on).  I think he's a good gamble for a two way contract.

2 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Yea he's going to be back on a two way I hope he's gotten better cause I liked him in summer league and he played well for the hustle I feel like he'd be good enough to be an end of the bench guy full time.

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

That's a good point. Like with Yuta. He showed that he could get it done at lower levels. I honestly believe what keeps Yuta from being better at the pro level is simply confidence. He's too timid. If you have two role players with equal talent, the guy with more attitude will win out. You have to have enough talent to get an opportunity and then have the fire to show it.

If we move on from Kyle i would hope that Yuta could get his spot.    He is legit 6'9', athletic, plays defense and moves like a guard.   I totally agree confidence is his biggest problem.    He is the type of player that could be helpful in a playoff series when teams go small.  

I think Konchar is interesting and well worth a flyer on a 2 way deal.   If you play at a school that small, you've really got to kill it to be worth a look but apparently this guy did, so why not see how well it might translate?

Beyond that, I have 2 thoughts about this relating to the new Front Office, and how it reveals a couple things about things are operating after the restructuring.

1)  I noticed this was announced within a couple of hours after the draft.  To me this signifies the new FO was really on top of the ball.  They had worked through the possibilities and already identified a guy they wanted on their open 2-way deal and wasted no time making it happen.  Prepared to move with quick, definitive action, I like it.  A good sign of things to come I hope.

2) Between this and the Brandon Clarke pickup in the draft, it seems clear there is a strong analytics component to this FO's evaluation process.  Both Clarke and Konchar are analytics / advanced stats standouts.  I am generally pro analytics so I'm happy with this.

7 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Mid major sleeper who will likely look good in summer league but overwhelmed in pre season

Perfect. I like it already hahaha

2 hours ago, grizzknob said:

I think Konchar is interesting and well worth a flyer on a 2 way deal.   If you play at a school that small, you've really got to kill it to be worth a look but apparently this guy did, so why not see how well it might translate?

Beyond that, I have 2 thoughts about this relating to the new Front Office, and how it reveals a couple things about things are operating after the restructuring.

1)  I noticed this was announced within a couple of hours after the draft.  To me this signifies the new FO was really on top of the ball.  They had worked through the possibilities and already identified a guy they wanted on their open 2-way deal and wasted no time making it happen.  Prepared to move with quick, definitive action, I like it.  A good sign of things to come I hope.

2) Between this and the Brandon Clarke pickup in the draft, it seems clear there is a strong analytics component to this FO's evaluation process.  Both Clarke and Konchar are analytics / advanced stats standouts.  I am generally pro analytics so I'm happy with this.

Where did you find Konchar's advanced stats?  The shooting guard advanced stats grid/thread on RealGM couldn't find his advanced stats.  

Geez this guys stats are unreal.  If he flames out in the NBA he will be a Euroleague MVP. 

Not sarcasm.

1 hour ago, SC Grizz said:

Geez this guys stats are unreal.  If he flames out in the NBA he will be a Euroleague MVP. 

Not sarcasm.

I was thinking the same thing this guy would kill it in any euro team.

20 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Analytic guys wet dream super efficient and not many mistakes . his advanced stats are really impressive , he can kind of do a little of everything and can play 2 and maybe some point guard as a 3rd stir get like Dorsey late last year .

You think he may be a Hollinger pick?

29 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

You think he may be a Hollinger pick?

He probably had a big say in bringing him in lol .

Konchar And dorsey i think could very well mean carter is really gonna have to bring it to stick around.

On 6/21/2019 at 7:10 PM, bhoyal said:

He overcame being white ... ???

35 minutes ago, GameOn said:

He overcame being white ... ???

11 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

An idiotic comment, just ignore it.

Ah come on guys.  Everyone is so over-sensitive now.  

3 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

I agree everyone is too sensitive. I can take his comment as a joke, no problem. But it's not always a two way street. Just sayin'.

49 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

I'm not really upset, but I've seen little comments like this turn into borderline ugly discussions on this forum.  Personally I think that everyone should be a little less sensitive, a little tougher.  I guess my "idiotic comment" is coming from my thoughts of how the thread could turn stupid.  No offense intended to bhoyal.

1 hour ago, GameOn said:

I agree everyone is too sensitive. I can take his comment as a joke, no problem. But it's not always a two way street. Just sayin'.

Agreed that was an unnecessary joke to say the least. Let's leave that kind of stuff to the Facebook groups. I think we should stick to basketball related jokes 

Konchar's race has nothing to do with his accomplishments so let's move on to the next talking point about him.

I think he will be too slow to keep up with NBA athletes....he's like the low budget Ty Jerome but his team did play against some power 5 schools in his highlights so maybe he might surprise us. Some draft analysis had him maybe going second round so he could be a steal. And be closer to Ty Jerome than I thought.

3 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Agreed that was an unnecessary joke to say the least. Let's leave that kind of stuff to the Facebook groups. I think we should stick to basketball related jokes 

Konchar's race has nothing to do with his accomplishments so let's move on to the next talking point about him.

I could argue that White man cant jump/play is a basketball joke 

4 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

3 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

I think he will be too slow to keep up with NBA athletes....he's like the low budget Ty Jerome but his team did play against some power 5 schools in his highlights so maybe he might surprise us. Some draft analysis had him maybe going second round so he could be a steal. And be closer to Ty Jerome than I thought.

This is hilarious to me