GF#1

The Brandon Clarke thread

Gonna be a big time role player 

I hope he can rebound and defend.  I'm not expecting big scoring numbers.  I guess It's known that he can't shoot.  I hope he helps us win.

21 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I hope he can rebound and defend.  I'm not expecting big scoring numbers.  I guess It's known that he can't shoot.  I hope he helps us win.

I think there's potential in his shot, he completely remodeled it last year and got his free throw % up to just below 70. Obviously there's a good chance it won't continue to develop but it might. 

1 minute ago, toocoolkellz said:

I'm just a bit underwhelmed.  Don't get me wrong,  there are parts of his game I like but I felt like its better prospects out there.  

Time will tell.

Well....like every year I'm going to trust that the FO did their homework and picked the right guy.

Honestly, I was thinking an athletic SF who could shoot and was big enough to not get overwhelmed by the bigger athletic SF's of this league.

Someone has mentioned he's a good shot blocker.  This would be very nice next to Jaren.  I mean if teams have to worry about their shot getting blocked every time they drive into the paint, that will pay huge dividends.

Looking forward to the introductory press conference with both of our draft picks.

22 minutes ago, kevofrommempho said:

The only drawback to selecting him is that he might steal some DPOY votes from JJJ.

Well that would just be catastrophic to the Grizzlies, now wouldn’t it? 

I’m mixed on Clark. He’s a good-great athlete but not long and is a tweener. 3rd highest vertical at the combine at 40.5”, but he’s undersized in every sense of the word at 6’8 with a 6’8 wingspan and 207lbs. He makes up for that with great athleticism and a high defensive IQ. He positions well and boxes out effectively. He is not a shooter yet and at 22 is one of the older prospects.

I actually like his age and maturity for us, but who is going to stretch the floor next year? He shot 24 threes in his 3 college seasons making just 6. What NBA big is Clark going to guard at 207 if he’s a rim running big for us on offense? Sure, he can guard 1-3 but NBA 4s and 5s will abuse him his first few years. JJJ needs someone to take pressure off of him on D as he’s foul proned. This pick makes signing JV even more important.

Overall, getting Clark at 21 was good value for us and I like the pick. He wouldn’t have fallen here if there weren’t some question marks about him though. If he can add 10lbs of muscle/yr, add a jump shot, then in year 3 we may have something special. This year, I’m hoping for a guy that can guard the opposing teams 3/4 and shut them down...someone who will grab offensive boards, get put backs, run out dunks, and do the dirty work. With his motor, I think that is what we picked up at 21.

Only if way Rabb stats now is if he gains 30 pounds of muscle and grows 2 inches.

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I hope so.  It looked ugly in the video, not as ugly as Shawn Marion's, but bad.

He has a normal shot now I'll post one of his work out videos and he said he was going to continue to work on his shot and make it respectable

High School

San Jose St

Clark is around the 2 minute mark his shot is almost normal now

I don't hate the pick, but i don't really like it either. Length seems more and more important trait to me as I've paid attention to the draft over the years. Usually short arms equal failure. He's got a great bounce, but most often one plays defense with their feet on the ground. He does have some other positive traits, and at this point in the draft there weren't a lot of better players imo. Someone mentioned Montrez Harrell, but the difference there is Harrell's length. I expect he could stick to a roster but don't expect much more out of him. I think Rabb is better. We shall see...

I would've loved to get Samanic or Bitadze who went a few picks earlier. Maybe we traded up for that very reason. I would've parted with Brooks or Rabb (and the future 2nd) if it meant moving up to 18 or 19 to get one of those guys. I think I would've taken Nick Claxton instead at #21 if we really wanted a big, or taken a flier on Little or Porter and hope they clear the perceived cobwebs out of their respective heads.

Overall I give the pick a B-  or maybe a C+ .

The advanced stats love him and he does provide rim protection

Somebody with that much advanced stat-breaking type of season must be doing something well