chipc3

2019-20 Roster Predictions

27 minutes ago, pjs said:

For a development year, we have a lot of good prospects.  Normally I would start Kyle and Jae if we were trying to compete for playoffs, but we need to see if JJ and Dillon are going to step up and be a piece of the future.  We need to get Bruno, Clarke, and Yuta plenty of court time.  I think Yuta will be a 2way player again, even though he looks ready to me ... but we didn't sign Marko for G-League.  Without researching it too much, here's what I'm thinking as things sit now:

PG: Ja, Tyus, Melton

SG: JJ, Kyle, Grayson

SF: Dillon, Jae, Marko

PF: JJJ, Bruno, Clarke

Center: JV, Howard (Noah, Plumlee, Zeller, ?), Rabb

G-League 2way: Yuta, Konchar

Howard isn't going to be on the team, and Kyle can't play the 2.

Kyle is the one that sticks out like a sore thumb cause if both Tyus and Grayson can run pick and rolls you have no need for a 3rd playmaker on the second unit. 

He needs to go, if we didn't have Plumlee I could see us moving him to Chicago for Felicio and a 2nd or moving him for a center in general so we could open the backup 3 spot for Jae, but how do the Grizz get Plumlee off the roster and not bring anyone back? 

Howard Hill and Rabb should all be waived/bought out.

And that's not even considering what the possible Iggy trade would look like.

1 minute ago, Ndq0327 said:

Howard isn't going to be on the team, and Kyle can't play the 2.

Kyle is the one that sticks out like a sore thumb cause if both Tyus and Grayson can run pick and rolls you have no need for a 3rd playmaker on the second unit. 

He needs to go, if we didn't have Plumlee I could see us moving him to Chicago for Felicio and a 2nd or moving him for a center in general so we could open the backup 3 spot for Jae, but how do the Grizz get Plumlee off the roster and not bring anyone back? 

Howard Hill and Rabb should all be waived/bought out.

And that's not even considering what the possible Iggy trade would look like.

Man I was just about to post about this! Kyle not being able to play the perimeter is a big problem. He is somewhat playable as a guy who can roam around the rim and maybe as a bit of a pg but now where does he fit?

First unit has Ja as the pg and JV doing the rim work. Other three need to atleast start their attack from outside in a modern offense.

Second unit has Tyus on the point with Clarke/Plumless doing the rim work. Other three should be Bruno, Brooks, Allen imo.

Dont see any room for slomo aka Ben Simmons with 40 year old legs.

Hill can stay if just for his expiring contract.

10 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I'd get rid of Kyle he doesn't fit. He's a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. He can't play uptempo and he doesn't shoot. No sense in scheming something out for one player when you have built your team around high IQ and fast pace. He needs to be shopped or packaged in a deal.

Jae needs to stay he's the perfect vet to mentor Josh Jackson and he's brings the toughness that this roster will be missing if he's gone.

I'd let Rabb go buyout Hill and look for a home for Kyle Anderson. I'd like the idea of swapping him for Doug McDermott it's a much better fit and the contracts are similar and we have some second round pics to make the deal work. 

Pg: Ja-Tyus-Melton

Sg: Josh-Grayson-Guduric

SF: Dillon-McDermott-Crowder

Pf: Jaren-Bruno-Crowder

C  JV-Clarke-Plumlee

And an open roster spot

With Yuta showing promise and Bruno looking good as well and both of them fit what Jenkins is trying to do, I don't like the idea of figuring out Kyle's fit anymore so swapping him out for a better fit seems smarter and having that open roster spot could be for Yuta somewhere around trade deadline where they can possibly move Jae eventho he said he wants to stay right now 

I do like your idea of swapping him for McDermott but SloMo has a trade kicker and not much value until we know he is fully healed.    I wonder if they are making the move for Tyus because FO isn't confident in Kyle's progress and wanted real insurance for him.  

I bet plan for Yuta is to wait till end of season and sign him to a multi year non-guaranteed contract for following season (like they did Bruno).   No reason to sign him this season when we already have his rights and can play him when we want to. 

I really like Crowder but why would he want to be 3rd string SF on a rebuilding team while in the middle of his prime?  If you really love someone sometimes you have to Set them free! 

5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Man I was just about to post about this! Kyle not being able to play the perimeter is a big problem. He is somewhat playable as a guy who can roam around the rim and maybe as a bit of a pg but now where does he fit?

First unit has Ja as the pg and JV doing the rim work. Other three need to atleast start their attack from outside in a modern offense.

Second unit has Tyus on the point with Clarke/Plumless doing the rim work. Other three should be Bruno, Brooks, Allen imo.

Dont see any room for slomo aka Ben Simmons with 40 year old legs.

Hill can stay if just for his expiring contract.

Yea Kyle just doesn't have a role if they bring in Tyus at pg cause Allen can be the secondary playmaker Bruno, Jae, Clarke can all defend and that was Kyle's second selling point so what does he do and where is his fit?

10 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I do like your idea of swapping him for McDermott but SloMo has a trade kicker and not much value until we know he is fully healed.    I wonder if they are making the move for Tyus because FO isn't confident in Kyle's progress and wanted real insurance for him.  

I bet plan for Yuta is to wait till end of season and sign him to a multi year non-guaranteed contract for following season (like they did Bruno).   No reason to sign him this season when we already have his rights and can play him when we want to. 

I really like Crowder but why would he want to be 3rd string SF on a rebuilding team while in the middle of his prime?  If you really love someone sometimes you have to Set them free! 

Tyus Jones is 6'2". Delon Wright is 6'5". Please tell me how Tyus makes sense (or Delon doesn't make more sense) if Kyle isn't healthy? 

Unless you are moving Kyle out of the backup 4 position and back to PG again?

7 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I understand SloMo doesn't have much value with the injury that's why unfortunately I brought up the 2nds we have now. Yuta is fine as a 2way player for one more season I doubt he makes much of a fuss about it and next year we can bring him up to the big squad. I was leaving that last spot open more so to give Crowder more minutes having him play 3 and 4 he could easily be a better fit some nights than Bruno. But I can see the point where he would want more time and trading him could be the best option. Even then I would still want to get rid of Kyle cause he just doesn't fit, and the Kyle Anderson at pg experiment must only be an internet fantasy cause no team has tried it yet.

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Tyus Jones is 6'2". Delon Wright is 6'5". Please tell me how Tyus makes sense (or Delon doesn't make more sense) if Kyle isn't healthy? 

As far as Kyle's playmaking goes Tyus replaces Kyle's playmaking on the second unit and if Grayson can run PnR's then that's two playmakers on the second unit what do you need from Kyle at that point?

Just now, Ndq0327 said:

As far as Kyle's playmaking goes Tyus replaces Kyle's playmaking on the second unit and if Grayson can run PnR's then that's two playmakers on the second unit what do you need from Kyle at that point?

So you believe Kyle was intended to be a PG also? 

In my opinion Tyus was signed to try and fill the backup PG role and it had nothing to do with Kyle's health. No big conspiracy theory. Just plain old fact that regardless of Kyle's health he wasn't going to play the point for the Grizzlies and the team needed a backup PG with some experience. 

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

So you believe Kyle was intended to be a PG also? 

In my opinion Tyus was signed to try and fill the backup PG role and it had nothing to do with Kyle's health. No big conspiracy theory. Just plain old fact that regardless of Kyle's health he wasn't going to play the point for the Grizzlies and the team needed a backup PG with some experience. 

I don't think he was intended to play pg but when you looked at what happened with Delon not returning it seemed like maybe they would try Kyle at pg. Me personally I don't think Tyus has anything to do with Kyle but thats how I interpreted what GTF said.

Kyle's two best qualities are his playmaking and defense so naturally when ever there is a question at pg his name will be brought up as a suitable replacement.

The question now is what is his role cause his playmaking is would be excessive on the second unit with Grayson and Tyus so do you start Kyle and allow him to alleviate some of the pressure off of Ja?

Ja/Tyus/Melton

Dillon/Grayson/Guduric

Kyle/Josh/Hill

Jaren/Jae/Bruno

Jv/Clarke/Plumlee

I think Josh Jackson is supposed to have playmaking skills too if that's the case I have no idea what to do with Kyle Anderson

9 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I don't think he was intended to play pg but when you looked at what happened with Delon not returning it seemed like maybe they would try Kyle at pg. Me personally I don't think Tyus has anything to do with Kyle but thats how I interpreted what GTF said.

Kyle's two best qualities are his playmaking and defense so naturally when ever there is a question at pg his name will be brought up as a suitable replacement.

The question now is what is his role cause his playmaking is would be excessive on the second unit with Grayson and Tyus so do you start Kyle and allow him to alleviate some of the pressure off of Ja?

Ja/Tyus/Melton

Dillon/Grayson/Guduric

Kyle/Josh/Hill

Jaren/Jae/Bruno

Jv/Clarke/Plumlee

I think Josh Jackson is supposed to have playmaking skills too if that's the case I have no idea what to do with Kyle Anderson

Jae could be a midseason trade chip. Get his % up a bit back to his Boston days and he can yield a first rounder from a contender. I want him starting.

I think you guys are getting way ahead of yourselves in your assumptions. We don't know if Kyle is healthy yet and you are debating him being used everywhere on the court with all different lineups. 

I personally believe if Kyle is healthy he will be the starting SF because he is the best player the Grizzlies have for that role with Jae Crowder backing him up. Josh will be given some opportunities but he has been a bust in all phases of the game as a former top lottery pick. His shot is broken from the outside. His concentration is suspect. He just isn't that good right now. That combined with his legal issues and maturity issues puts him on the outside looking in. He is a small forward buried on the bench not a starting SG in my opinion. 

I believe Dillon and Grayson will battle for the starting SG role because they are the best options for that position. I believe Ja and Tyus (assuming Minnesota doesn't match) will hold down the majority of the early season PG minutes because they are the best the team has at that position. The team will work De'Anthony, Yuta and Konchar at the Hustle for the most part but any of them could be used if injuries beset the roster, it becomes obvious someone has not performed up to expectations or more trades are made.  

Jonas and JJJ will start at the traditional power spots. Behind them will be Brandon Clarke, Bruno Caboclo and Miles Plumlee. 

Iguodala would start at SG if he is still with the team but I anticipate he will be moved in some regards as well Dwight Howard. Either buyouts or trades but I don't expect either will be on the opening night roster. 

It's not that complicated to me but time will tell who is correct and who is not. 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I think you guys are getting way ahead of yourselves in your assumptions. We don't know if Kyle is healthy yet and you are debating him being used everywhere on the court with all different lineups. 

I personally believe if Kyle is healthy he will be the starting SF because he is the best player the Grizzlies have for that role with Jae Crowder backing him up. Josh will be given some opportunities but he has been a bust in all phases of the game as a former top lottery pick. His shot is broken from the outside. His concentration is suspect. He just isn't that good right now. That combined with his legal issues and maturity issues puts him on the outside looking in. He is a small forward buried on the bench not a starting SG in my opinion. 

I believe Dillon and Grayson will battle for the starting SG role because they are the best options for that position. I believe Ja and Tyus (assuming Minnesota doesn't match) will hold down the majority of the early season PG minutes because they are the best the team has at that position. The team will work De'Anthony, Yuta and Konchar at the Hustle for the most part but any of them could be used if injuries beset the roster, it becomes obvious someone has not performed up to expectations or more trades are made.  

Jonas and JJJ will start at the traditional power spots. Behind them will be Brandon Clarke, Bruno Caboclo and Miles Plumlee. 

Iguodala would start at SG if he is still with the team but I anticipate he will be moved in some regards as well Dwight Howard. Either buyouts or trades but I don't expect either will be on the opening night roster. 

It's not that complicated to me but time will tell who is correct and who is not. 

Probably none of us with how fast the FO has been moving.

1 minute ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

Probably none of us with how fast the FO has been moving.

I'd honestly be shocked if what I wrote turned out correct! 

Kyle's not going anywhere and he isn't playing any kind of PG role, you can nit pick his deficiencies all you want but when hes on the floor the team plays better, the ball moves around better he's hi IQ and a good teammate, he's staying

7 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

When they let Delon walked i was wondering if they were willing to go with Melton as backup PG and SloMo helping to offset his inexperience.   Kyle would've still lined up at Forward spot but that doesn't prevent him from being primary playmaker of second unit.  (like Lebron is basically the PG for every team he has ever played for but has never lined up at PG). 

Them targeting Tyus is smart either way but it does make me wonder about the longterm fit of Kyle. 

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

When they let Delon walked i was wondering if they were willing to go with Melton as backup PG and SloMo helping to offset his inexperience.   Kyle would've still lined up at Forward spot but that doesn't prevent him from being primary playmaker of second unit.  (like Lebron is basically the PG for every team he has ever played for but has never lined up at PG). 

Them targeting Tyus is smart either way but it does make me wonder about the longterm fit of Kyle. 

him playing a lot of small ball 4 and can rotate on switches between 3-4-smaller 5's, I think in a more position less line up he's fine s

long as there are a few shooters in line up at the same time, I think hes better suited in a line up that doesn't have JV in it, too slow of a front court

Kyle can definitely still fit, play Clarke @ 5 and have Kyle backup JJJ the most.

Stretch Howard, s&t Iggy for Shumpert+pick (waive Shumpert). And see what Hill+Rabb+pick can get you if anything, otherwise just waive them too. Go into the season w/ technically 14 official players so Yuta can get more time.‎

Morant/Jones/Melton

Brooks/Guduric/Allen

Jackson/Crowder/Watanabe

Jackson/Anderson/Caboclo

Valanciunas/Clarke/Plumlee

Once the team gets 15 players I'm more inclined to guess who plays where they just have too many players to consider at this point

If kyle develops a workable corner 3 then he becomes a much easier fit.   The fact that BC may be able to play smallball 5 really opens it up for Kyle too.   

Don't we only have Melton for this season only?  How does FO get a good look at him?

11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If kyle develops a workable corner 3 then he becomes a much easier fit.   The fact that BC may be able to play smallball 5 really opens it up for Kyle too.   

Don't we only have Melton for this season only?  How does FO get a good look at him?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/suns/comments/9l5cih/deanthony_meltons_contract/

A Reddit post from a Suns fan on Melton's contract I wonder if those early bird rights transfer to the grizz

15 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Let him compete regularly with the Hustle and give him opportunity with the big club some time. 

34 minutes ago, cdp said:

Kyle can definitely still fit, play Clarke @ 5 and have Kyle backup JJJ the most.

Stretch Howard, s&t Iggy for Shumpert+pick (waive Shumpert). And see what Hill+Rabb+pick can get you if anything, otherwise just waive them too. Go into the season w/ technically 14 official players so Yuta can get more time.‎

Morant/Jones/Melton

Brooks/Guduric/Allen

Jackson/Crowder/Watanabe

Jackson/Anderson/Caboclo

Barring more trades this is the best line up

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Couldn’t have said it better myself +1

1 hour ago, cdp said:

Morant/Jones/Melton

Brooks/Guduric/Allen

Jackson/Crowder/Watanabe

Jackson/Anderson/Caboclo

Really? ....that is....how to say it nicely?....well...not very smart.