chipc3

2019-20 Roster Predictions

It's a bit premature but I suddenly got curious what this team will look like at the start of the next season. So many different scenarios are possible. Mike Conley is the biggest question mark of course but will Jonas Valanciunas return? Will Delon Wright? Will Justin Holiday? All of these players were playing significant minutes in March and April after all. It would be a tremendous amount of turnover if none of them returned. 

With less than 48 hours remaining before the draft and likely Mike Conley trade (I still believe he gets traded around the draft) what is everyone else thinking this team's most likely 15 man roster will be? 

Here is my best guess:
PG: Ja Morant, Delon Wright, Jevon Carter
SG: Dillon Brooks, Draft pick/Player acquired in Conley trade, CJ MIles,
SF: Kyle Anderson, Bruno Caboclo, Player/Draft pick acquired in Conley Trade
PF: Jaren Jackson, Chandler Parsons, Yuta Watanabe
C : Jonas Valanciunas, Ivan Rabb,  Tyler Zeller

I don't object to the starting five but it gets pretty hairy once the team goes to the bench. That also means that Joakim Noah, Tyler Dorsey, Julian Washburn and Justin Holiday won't be returning. If the Grizzlies get another big in the Conley trade then I could see Holiday coming back instead of Zeller. 

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

Rabb is outta here.

That's all you want to add to the conversation? Seriously? 

Dorsey is back

Rabb is gone

Washburn Holliday Noah all gone

Bruno starts over Kyle

Anderson doesn't have a role to start the season cause he still can't shoot.

Wright is either gone cause we got out bid or he's back but over paid.

Conley went to Utah so Crowder is the back up 3 we didn't get Allen and Exum is still hurt but will be the back up pg.

The Grizz drafted a wing shooter at 23 maybe Dylan Windler or Tyler Herro 

JV came back on a 4 year deal and we signed a cheap stretch 5 Maxi Keibler type.

Yuta is on a 2way plus a guy from summer league.

Jevon learned how to shoot over the summer and is pushing for back up minutes.

43 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

It's a bit premature but I suddenly got curious what this team will look like at the start of the next season. So many different scenarios are possible. Mike Conley is the biggest question mark of course but will Jonas Valanciunas return? Will Delon Wright? Will Justin Holiday? All of these players were playing significant minutes in March and April after all. It would be a tremendous amount of turnover if none of them returned. 

With less than 48 hours remaining before the draft and likely Mike Conley trade (I still believe he gets traded around the draft) what is everyone else thinking this team's most likely 15 man roster will be? 

Here is my best guess:

I don't object to the starting five but it gets pretty hairy once the team goes to the bench. That also means that Joakim Noah, Tyler Dorsey, Julian Washburn and Justin Holiday won't be returning. If the Grizzlies get another big in the Conley trade then I could see Holiday coming back instead of Zeller. 

I am most curious to see if Dillon can convert to "our answer" for SG.    He has solid tools to be an effective one.   He also possesses the mindset to become a good scorer.    He is competent enough on defense and uses his strength well to get to the bucket in spite of elite athleticism.      Ja's ability to beat guys off the dribble now lessens the need to have the 2g do it.    He can also really space the floor.   

6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I am most curious to see if Dillon can convert to "our answer" for SG.    He has solid tools to be an effective one.   He also possesses the mindset to become a good scorer.    He is competent enough on defense and uses his strength well to get to the bucket in spite of elite athleticism.      Ja's ability to beat guys off the dribble now lessens the need to have the 2g do it.    He can also really space the floor.   

Yea and he can pass which wasn't Mike's best attribute Mike was always the next pass over type of he could break is guy down but he only saw the next pass he couldn't read the entire floor and throw darts. 

10 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Yea and he can pass which wasn't Mike's best attribute Mike was always the next pass over type of he could break is guy down but he only saw the next pass he couldn't read the entire floor and throw darts. 

Dillon also can create his own shot and dribble the ball.   Which we know is extremely valuable in today's league.     I'd try to put a long athletic SF next to them.    Being able to field atleast 3 guys on starting unit (Jaren, Ja, Dillon) that can create their own shot is a nice way to develop for the future. 

Once the dust is settled and we keep Delon.  I am really trying to figure out where we can move SloMo unless he wants to convert to full-time backup PF and starts hitting 3s.   

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Here is my best guess:

I really don’t see a place for Kyle on this team next season. They claim to be going to a run and gun style next season and he can’t do either. Since they are valuing cap space in trades I don’t expect Jonas back unless it’s on a team friendly deal. 

My Guess

SG: Vet FA signing, Dillon Brooks (6th man)

SF: Cj Miles, Bruno Caboclo, Minimum contract player

PF: Jaren Jackson Jr., Draft pick acquired in the Conley trade (hopefully a Rui Hachimura type), minimum contract player 

C : Tyler Zeller, Ivan Rabb

With knowing what the Conley trade brings;

Morant/Wright/Carter
Bradley/Brooks/Dorsey
Crowder/Caboclo/Allen
Jackson/Anderson
Valanciunas/Rabb/Zeller

Rest of it filled out by the 23rd pick and a FA (our own or from another team). Maybe package Korver/Miles or Bradley for another wing upgrade.

1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

Dorsey is back

Rabb is gone

Washburn Holliday Noah all gone

Bruno starts over Kyle

Anderson doesn't have a role to start the season cause he still can't shoot.

Wright is either gone cause we got out bid or he's back but over paid.

Conley went to Utah so Crowder is the back up 3 we didn't get Allen and Exum is still hurt but will be the back up pg.

The Grizz drafted a wing shooter at 23 maybe Dylan Windler or Tyler Herro 

JV came back on a 4 year deal and we signed a cheap stretch 5 Maxi Keibler type.

Yuta is on a 2way plus a guy from summer league.

Jevon learned how to shoot over the summer and is pushing for back up minutes.

Image result for carnac meme

Hopefully Bruno can actually play the PF position like a lot of you guys seem to think he will, even though he mainly played PF last year. 

Rabb hopefully added strength and can be a longterm backup center for us. He's not a PF though. 

I liked Dorsey pretty well as a SG off the bench, he's got to get better defensively though. If Conley is traded, we need to bring him back. 

Yuta is gone. Can't really shoot, isn't athletic enough to guard most SF, isn't strong enough to guard most PFs. He gives good effort, but just doesn't have the skill to keep around, he's also already 25.

I only bring avery back if we aren't rebuilding. Trade or waive if he isn't. 

We need to think about adding Snell or Ersan from the bucks to get a couple of draft picks. We should have plenty of cap space after the Conley deal, waiving avery, and/or restructuring JV's contract. 

PG Ja, Wright, Carter

SG Brooks, Allen/Draft pick (Herro/Alexander)

SF Anderson, Bruno, Miles

PF JJJ, Crowder, Rabb

C JV, Zeller type

*Can't call it on Dorsey.

Revised List:
PG: Ja Morant (2nd pick), Delon Wright, Jevon Carter
SG: Grayson Allen, Dillon Brooks, Kyle Korver
SF: Kyle Anderson, Bruno Caboclo, CJ Miles
PF: Jaren Jackson, Jae Crowder, Chandler Parsons, 
C : Jonas Valanciunas, Ivan Rabb, Bruno Fernando (23rd pick)

Yuta Watanabe returns as a two way player also. Highlighted players are new to the team. 

34 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Revised List:

Yuta Watanabe returns as a two way player also. Highlighted players are new to the team. 

I'm wondering if Korver might be traded to a contender? Is Allen better than Brooks, I have no idea on that? I like Rabb, hoping he does come back, but likely not.

PG: Ja Morant , Delon Wright, Jevon Carter
SG: Dillon Brooks,Grayson Allen,CJ Miles
SF: Jae Crowder, Bruno Caboclo, Cam Johnson
PF: Jaren Jackson, Kyle Anderson, Chandler Parsons, 
C : Jonas Valanciunas, Ivan Rabb, 

Korver either waived or flipped for future assets.  Tankathon has us taking Cameron Johnson (SF).    SF with good size and potential as a deep shooter. 

34 minutes ago, Jetfixer said:

I'm wondering if Korver might be traded to a contender? Is Allen better than Brooks, I have no idea on that? I like Rabb, hoping he does come back, but likely not.

I'd only want Korver here to teach Brooks, Grayson and Bruno how to work on getting a consistent shot. If they trade him that's cool too. 

I want to believe Ivan is coming back simply because he has a cheap contract, has shown potential and I like his mother who I met and became friends with. 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I'd only want Korver here to teach Brooks, Grayson and Bruno how to work on getting a consistent shot. If they trade him that's cool too. 

I want to believe Ivan is coming back simply because he has a cheap contract, has shown potential and I like his mother who I met and became friends with. 

I can go with that...….it always seemed to me when Ivan played he played well.

1 hour ago, Jetfixer said:

I think if the Grizzlies can get a 2nd rounder for him, take it.

My guess is that a competitive team will wait for him to get waived and pay him league minimum.

9 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I think if the Grizzlies can get a 2nd rounder for him, take it.

My guess is that a competitive team will wait for him to get waived and pay him league minimum.

Image result for bingo gif

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Revised List:

I don't know what the perception is overall, so no idea how this will be taken, but that's not the worst lineup in the West.

Especially since some of these players are multi-positional like Delon and Dillon.

It has size, athleticism, versatility and quality veteran leadership - not great overall shooting though.

I'd really like to see Avery Bradley back, but also completely understand why not.

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Image result for carnac meme

I'm changing mines now with the trade

Delon is back over paid or not he's back

Jevon is better and can now shoot

Bradley is gone 

Dorsey is gone

Grayson will fight Korver for back up sg

Dillon starts at sg

Crowder starts at the 3 gets traded at the deadline 

Bruno backs up the 3 and 4

Korver stays till deadline cause Jenkins loves him he plays back up minutes at 2 and 3

Rabb I thought was getting traded with Mike so he stays

Parsons sits on the bench most of the season

JV gone 

23rd pick is either a tall wing or a big 

Dylan Windler, Kz Okpala,Cam Johnson, Goga Blitadze, Bol Bol,Claxton

The Grizz do something real weird with that TPE and absorb a big contract Whiteside, Dieng, and receive some draft capital in return.

CJ Miles gets traded at the deadline

They sign a cheap center if they don't get one with that TPE (Whiteside) Ed Davis, Thomas Bryant, Dewayne Dedmon, Tyler Zeller, O'Quinn, Mike Muscala, Nerlens Noel, Noah Vonleh, Richaun Holmes, Enes Kanter if he's cheap

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

PG: Ja Morant , Delon Wright, Jevon Carter
SG: Dillon Brooks,Grayson Allen,CJ Miles
SF: Jae Crowder, Bruno Caboclo, Cam Johnson
PF: Jaren Jackson, Kyle Anderson, Chandler Parsons, 
C : Jonas Valanciunas, Ivan Rabb, 

Korver either waived or flipped for future assets.  Tankathon has us taking Cameron Johnson (SF).    SF with good size and potential as a deep shooter. 

I'm telling everyone he's not going to pan out I looked into him before I found out the possibility of him being med flagged and all his hype is centered around his shooting everything else is average at best he can't move well....Dylan Windler and Kz Okpala are my big wings at 23 or I'm praying Goga Nic Claxton or Bol Bol are there.

Bruno Fernando is interesting cause I remember reading somewhere that he could actually shoot the ball a little bit.

That looks like a workable shooting form for a big

Both of them should be there at 23

If NAW and Hachimura are not available, Fernando is at the top of my list.

17 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

That looks like a workable shooting form for a big

Both of them should be there at 23