Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Interesting Quote

Recommended Posts

To be honest the all I really want too.  I just want a team that is fun to watch and root for every year.  A championship would be awesome but it's not likely in such a small market.  I loved the GnG era.  Just because they didn't win a title doesn't change my enjoyment of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

The words I like??? Is this a cult or a NBA franchise that we are fans of? If a salesman came to your door would you buy his product based on his claim of working toward his goal of sustainable success or the best product in the market?

For crying out loud. How many years of Pera's indifference towards the fans do you plan on ignoring? 

Front office statements don't win or lose games.  I swear, everything has to be a show, even the owner.  With the advent of the internet every single detail about everything is overscrutinized and given too much weight.  When I was growing up most folks didn't know or even care who the owner of their favorite franchise was.  Give me examples of Pera's indifference.  His seeming reclusiveness?  What?  Does it make a real difference in the end?  I don't think so.

If you don't like the product, find another.  As for me, I'm rooting for the Grizzlies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Is superstar a higher ranking than HoFer?  Because the Mavs had two HoFers.  Jus' sayin'...

You’re right.  And to this day I don’t understand how a Grizz team with multiple  All-Stars and First Team All Defensive players couldn’t win the Western Conference Finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JJJTG said:

You’re right.  And to this day I don’t understand how a Grizz team with multiple  All-Stars and First Team All Defensive players couldn’t win the Western Conference Finals.

That was because they were up against 3 HoFers.  If it had only been two we probably would have won.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Front office statements don't win or lose games.  I swear, everything has to be a show, even the owner.  With the advent of the internet every single detail about everything is overscrutinized and given too much weight.  When I was growing up most folks didn't know or even care who the owner of their favorite franchise was.  Give me examples of Pera's indifference.  His seeming reclusiveness?  What?  Does it make a real difference in the end?  I don't think so.

If you don't like the product, find another.  As for me, I'm rooting for the Grizzlies.

Because everything IS about the owner. He makes the big decisions. What has been the trajectory of this franchise under Pera's stewardship? Who hired two lawyers to run this NBA franchise? What has Kleiman done that would warrant nodding in bovine agreement to anything he says? 

No, but you are right. Nothing to see here. Just shut up and nod in agreement to vague statements. What Kleiman said is good enough. Heck, just look at his track record. A proven franchise leader making franchise decisions and franchise defining statements. Give the benefit of doubt no matter what has transpired in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His statement is only communication and nothing to learn from it. And to be honest, we sucks for years and if he was coming and say, we are going to win a championship, i will probably advice to see a doctor in emergency... win a totle will take time and will pass by many step. bui;d a team, make in play off every year and in 3 or 4 years from now, we may see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JJJTG said:

You’re right.  And to this day I don’t understand how a Grizz team with multiple  All-Stars and First Team All Defensive players couldn’t win the Western Conference Finals.

Ask the OKC Thunder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Yep.  It's like looking for something under a microscope to find something to criticize.  Kind of how everyone these days NEED something to offend them so they can feel good about themselves by demanding justice.  I don't get it.

Bingo.  Nothing to see here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I have no clue what he is trying to say. Cut his teeth, sustainable success as opposed to successful: he doesn't recognize or doesn't care to recognize that the grizzlies were successful BEFORE he got here. If you have elite acumen for basketball, why do you need to refine it? What's the difference between connecting with players and "meaningfully" connecting with them.

You know what this equals in my book: a blowhard. A guy that puffs-up sentences to make them sound more intelligent to idiots who don't understand basic English.      

Wait ... sooo... we “were successful BEFORE he got here” ?

define success.

really not trying to be funny here , just trying to point out that this one word has several different meanings depending on who you ask...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It kind of goes without saying, doesn't it, that the ultimate goal of any NBA franchise is to win an NBA title... but in order to give yourself the best chance at getting one of those, a team needs to have sustainable success. It's pretty silly to interpret this quote as the organization saying they don't want to win a title.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I don't get that out of his statement at all.  This is you trying to put a controversial spin on it, making something out of nothing.  Are you working in the media now?  This sounds just like something they would do.  It would make some great click bait.

What do you get out of it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

It kind of goes without saying, doesn't it, that the ultimate goal of any NBA franchise is to win an NBA title... but in order to give yourself the best chance at getting one of those, a team needs to have sustainable success. It's pretty silly to interpret this quote as the organization saying they don't want to win a title.  

I don't believe that anyone interpreted the quote that way. 

Who the heck is Zach Kleiman and why is he the de facto G.M. of the Memphis Grizzlies? He just hired a head coach that until very recently, most people never heard of, yet by all indications he is more qualified to be G.M. than Kleiman himself. And all we get is this sustainable success goal speech?

Hate to break the news to you but there are many pro franchises that care only about making a buck. According to Kleiman, sustainable success was the end goal, not the process. This guy is a lawyer. Lawyers prepare for their job. They just don't show up to a press conference and shoot from the hip, especially so soon into his new job. He knew what he was going to say ahead of time. He was very vague on purpose.

I believe ownership and the F.O. have an obligation to the fans. I believe that they owe it to us to be honest and to do their best to make the Grizzlies the best team possible. I also believe that they should want to earn our trust. Being vague does not accomplish any of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

Because everything IS about the owner. He makes the big decisions. What has been the trajectory of this franchise under Pera's stewardship? Who hired two lawyers to run this NBA franchise? What has Kleiman done that would warrant nodding in bovine agreement to anything he says? 

No, but you are right. Nothing to see here. Just shut up and nod in agreement to vague statements. What Kleiman said is good enough. Heck, just look at his track record. A proven franchise leader making franchise decisions and franchise defining statements. Give the benefit of doubt no matter what has transpired in the past.

tbh pera just started running the team once he got more ownership of the team...the others guys were running it before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

tbh pera just started running the team once he got more ownership of the team...the others guys were running it before.

Who fired Levien?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

true he did butt pera hasn't made many big decisions in the last couple years

You may be right, but I believe that he has been making many decisions through others. Staying behind the curtain so to speak. The whole Parsons fiasco kind of tells us this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

You may be right, but I believe that he has been making many decisions through others. Staying behind the curtain so to speak. The whole Parsons fiasco kind of tells us this.

he has...but Steve Kaplan and Daniel Straus where calling most of the shouts before Pera bought them out...i remember read an interview with Pera and said he acted disinterested in the team on purpose...something to do with buying Steve Kaplan and Daniel Straus out..he wanted them to think he really wasn't interested in owning the team...you got to remember Pera never wanted them to be part owners but he had to have them when his company stock crashed or something like that to buy the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Wait ... sooo... we “were successful BEFORE he got here” ?

define success.

really not trying to be funny here , just trying to point out that this one word has several different meanings depending on who you ask...

 

Going to 7 straight playoffs and 1 WCF is the very definition of successful. In fact, it could be said that the minute pera took over this team started its path of woe and he successfully broke the success because he never believed in gng from the beginning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

What do you get out of it? 

"Blah, blah,blah, statement, statement... (ahem), we got our new coach this way, blah, blah, official announcement, etc...."

Why do you care?  I don't think you can discern the motivations of the ownership and front office from an official announcement of a coaching hire no matter how much you tell yourself you can, unless they deliberately hired Bozo the Clown to guide the team into the future.  Is Jenkins qualified and highly respected by his peers?  That will tell you a lot more about how much they care about the franchise than picking apart the wording of some official announcement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Going to 7 straight playoffs and 1 WCF is the very definition of successful. In fact, it could be said that the minute pera took over this team started its path of woe and he successfully broke the success because he never believed in gng from the beginning. 

Uhhhhh... pssst, Kevin, five of those playoff appearances were wih Pera as owner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

Uhhhhh... pssst, Kevin, five of those playoff appearances were wih Pera as owner.

Wow, you are right. I just remember him torpedoing Lionel's best season. But yeah. I also forgot that after the finals appearance the grizzlies lost in the first round to okc the next year. Which means that the grizzlies kept ****** taushaun prince through a whole other season before they decided that they needed more offense.

That same year the grizzlies took okc (who had went to the finals that year) 7 games, and it took a Mr. Unreliable and the league suspending zach for game 7 to get that team past memphis that year ever WITH terrible tayshaun sucking it up.

Imagine if the grizzlies had had rudy for those 3 seasons between 2012-2014, and Mike didn't get hurt. Good grief the grizzlies were so **** close to actually realizing a championship. It makes me sick to think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

"Blah, blah,blah, statement, statement... (ahem), we got our new coach this way, blah, blah, official announcement, etc...."

Why do you care?  I don't think you can discern the motivations of the ownership and front office from an official announcement of a coaching hire no matter how much you tell yourself you can, unless they deliberately hired Bozo the Clown to guide the team into the future.  Is Jenkins qualified and highly respected by his peers?  That will tell you a lot more about how much they care about the franchise than picking apart the wording of some official announcement.

Why do you care what I got out of the statement? Your argument makes no sense. You said you didn’t get out of the statement what I did and you seem to be trivializing what you got out of it and the entire front office st the same time.

Personally, I take people at their word. When the front office leader says that the team’s main goal is to be sustainably successful when they formerly said their goal was to have a parade down Beale St. I take that as a major change in goals for the franchise. It’s just my opinion of course. You are entitled to yours as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The quote that is more meaningful to me is the talk of habits. Let’s be straight up, everyone’s goal is to win...yet, not everyone wins a championship. Maybe the work is more important than the goal?? Establishing consistent patterns of effective work and habit is way more important than the goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Why do you care what I got out of the statement? Your argument makes no sense. You said you didn’t get out of the statement what I did and you seem to be trivializing what you got out of it and the entire front office st the same time.

Personally, I take people at their word. When the front office leader says that the team’s main goal is to be sustainably successful when they formerly said their goal was to have a parade down Beale St. I take that as a major change in goals for the franchise. It’s just my opinion of course. You are entitled to yours as well.

Totally with you on this one.

There is some sneaky dishonesty going on. Wexler and Kleiman "running" the team? Who's kidding who? 90% of this board have more basketball knowledge than those two. As I asked above, who the heck is Zach Kleiman? No one has called this obvious charade out. Pera wants to call the shots, fine with me as long as he's man enough to own it, which he has yet to show. It is pure dishonesty and cowardice. People used to take great pride rooting for this "blue collar" team. There is nothing "blue collar" about being dishonest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So can I drag this team to a title BY MYSELF?

Sure...

Why not.

ALT GRIND 2022: A Kinder, Gentler 3 Year Plan -- NOW MORE THAN EVER!

 

 

P.S. Do we start start counting the 3 year plan from draft night?  Like, now?  Or when the season starts?  So, is that 2022?  2023?  2022 and a Half?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this