Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Interesting Quote

“At the start of this process we set out to find a partner who shared our vision of working tirelessly toward our goal of achieving sustainable success,” said Kleiman. “Over the course of his time in San Antonio, Austin, Atlanta and Milwaukee, Taylor cut his teeth, refined his elite basketball acumen and demonstrated his ability to meaningfully connect with players.”

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

The Grizzlies have once again stated their primary goal is sustained success not an NBA Title.

7 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies have once again stated their primary goal is sustained success not an NBA Title.

😬

well you could read it as saying -

not trying to catch lightening in a bottle, but committed to first -turn this thing around and give ourselves a legitimate shot at a ring - consistently.

no?

Yea sustained success can include a title 

“Our goal of achieving sustained success” is pretty clear. Their goal is no longer a parade down Beale St as David Fizdale suggested.

I’m not against a Portland/Utah goal for this franchise either. I just hope fans understand that the “a title would be nice but sustained success is our goal has been repeated. Don’t expect radical moves that will risk the overall goal of sustained success.

"... sustainable success" says the guy that is more qualified being an ambulance chaser than being involved with running a NBA team.

29 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I agree totally with you that the memphis rebuild bar is set pretty low...in comparison in Toronto with the Jays we got a new President, GM and coach after making back to back playoffs....total rebuild/gutted...this team is 4, 5 6 years from maybe making a playoff run...their drafted players especially pitchers are not panning out...too many holes...and we went from #1 draw in fans/American League to near bottom and they cant give away tickets... I hope we don't do the same with the Grizz...there is no guarantees or a timeline with total rebuild.

I have no clue what he is trying to say. Cut his teeth, sustainable success as opposed to successful: he doesn't recognize or doesn't care to recognize that the grizzlies were successful BEFORE he got here. If you have elite acumen for basketball, why do you need to refine it? What's the difference between connecting with players and "meaningfully" connecting with them.

You know what this equals in my book: a blowhard. A guy that puffs-up sentences to make them sound more intelligent to idiots who don't understand basic English.      

12 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

I agree totally with you that the memphis rebuild bar is set pretty low...in comparison in Toronto with the Jays we got a new President, GM and coach after making back to back playoffs....total rebuild/gutted...this team is 4, 5 6 years from maybe making a playoff run...their drafted players especially pitchers are not panning out...too many holes...and we went from #1 draw in fans/American League to near bottom and they cant give away tickets... I hope we don't do the same with the Grizz...there is no guarantees or a timeline with total rebuild.

Hate to point this out, but low attendance for the Grizzlies makes it easier to relocate. Probably just a coincidence, just like Wexler, who is top dog above Kleiman, happens to be a lawyer who's expertise is real estate. 

When you realize an era is over (Heisley/Hollins) and the FO is now compromised of 30 somethings building a team, they have time. Most of the posters on this board are older than the FO. Their long-term sustainable success mantra.......Let's just say that a 30 year old's view of time is very different from a person over 50.

I am not for making short-sighted moves but a young front office might not have the sense of urgency or desperation to win and pull off calculated risky moves.

Like the ones Masai made. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I don't get that out of his statement at all.  This is you trying to put a controversial spin on it, making something out of nothing.  Are you working in the media now?  This sounds just like something they would do.  It would make some great click bait.

2 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I don't get that out of his statement at all.  This is you trying to put a controversial spin on it, making something out of nothing.  Are you working in the media now?  This sounds just like something they would do.  It would make some great click bait.

C'mon Smit-tay. It's a professional sports franchise, not a car dealership or a pizza joint. We just want to be ok?

11 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

C'mon Smit-tay. It's a professional sports franchise, not a car dealership or a pizza joint. We just want to be ok?

Since when did the word success equal just ok?  You guys are being silly acting liked he publicly stated he wants the team to be mediocre.  You guys are over analyzing again, trying to find something that isn't there.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I don’t have a problem with “sustained success” being the goal. I view “sustained success” as building a philosophy and core that demonstrates success and doesn’t necessarily rely on individuals.  

Of course as a fan I want more than that.  But in the last two decades only superstar filled teams have won titles with the exceptions of the Pistons and the Mavs.  Things may change, but historically Memphis has not demonstrated the ability to sign a superstar capable of carrying our team to a title.

What do you want them to say in this situation?   That they’re going to win the championship for the next 10 years?  

I understand what it means to root for a small market team.  Have you forgotten?  You used to be the self-proclaimed captain of the Sunshine Patrol.

Look if he can be like Portland, or Toronto pre Kawhi, then I'm all for it. Win a lot of games, play meaningful games, and have a chance to compete for a title at the end of the day, then I'm happy. We all miss the GNG days, and while we never won a championship, it was still so much fun to watch.  

22 minutes ago, JJJTG said:

I don’t have a problem with “sustained success” being the goal. I view “sustained success” as building a philosophy and core that demonstrates success and doesn’t necessarily rely on individuals.  

Of course as a fan I want more than that.  But in the last two decades only superstar filled teams have won titles with the exceptions of the Pistons and the Mavs.  Things may change, but historically Memphis has not demonstrated the ability to sign a superstar capable of carrying our team to a title.

What do you want them to say in this situation?   That they’re going to win the championship for the next 10 years?  

I understand what it means to root for a small market team.  Have you forgotten?  You used to be the self-proclaimed captain of the Sunshine Patrol.

Is superstar a higher ranking than HoFer?  Because the Mavs had two HoFers.  Jus' sayin'...

23 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Since when did the word success equal just ok?  You guys are being silly acting liked he publicly stated he wants the team to be mediocre.  You guys are over analyzing again, trying to find something that isn't there.

You are minimizing. "working tirelessly toward our goal of achieving sustainable success,” is the whole quote. 

Just what is the end goal of "sustainable success"? It is a purposefully vague statement. There is nothing vague about a championship. He is a stinking lawyer. He used "sustainable success" instead of "championship" for a reason. There was purpose for using that vague phrase. He intended to be vague. The term sustained success can mean anything from getting a little better to being on top of the world. This is a sport. Sports are definite. Statistics. Numbers. Win. Lose. Anything but vague.

51 minutes ago, Crizzle said:

people will b1tch about anything

Yup. Folks searching for things to be upset out. For a group of folks constantly talking about millennials (this F.O) whining, this group of older folks sure does find plenty to complain out. Give the F.O a chance and stop being so negative ALL. OF. THE. TIME. 

Just now, Father Pat said:

You are minimizing. "working tirelessly toward our goal of achieving sustainable success,” is the whole quote. 

Just what is the end goal of "sustainable success"? It is a purposefully vague statement. There is nothing vague about a championship. He is a stinking lawyer. He used "sustainable success" instead of "championship" for a reason. There was purpose for using that vague phrase. He intended to be vague. The term sustained success can mean anything from getting a little better to being on top of the world. This is a sport. Sports are definite. Statistics. Numbers. Win. Lose. Anything but vague.

So what?!!  He didn't use the words you liked which means he's advocating mediocrity and underachieving?

1 minute ago, smit-tay griz said:

So what?!!  He didn't use the words you liked which means he's advocating mediocrity and underachieving?

The words I like??? Is this a cult or a NBA franchise that we are fans of? If a salesman came to your door would you buy his product based on his claim of working toward his goal of sustainable success or the best product in the market?

For crying out loud. How many years of Pera's indifference towards the fans do you plan on ignoring? 

6 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Seriously...of all the things to complain about this seems like the most inconsequential.

Just now, ACGrizz said:

Seriously...of all the things to complain about this seems like the most inconsequential.

Yep.  It's like looking for something under a microscope to find something to criticize.  Kind of how everyone these days NEED something to offend them so they can feel good about themselves by demanding justice.  I don't get it.