GF#1

Grizzlies hire Taylor Jenkins as next head coach

5 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Playing in the league is not prerequisite for being a good coach.  What team did Popovich play for?  What team did Auerbach play for?  What team did Hubie Brown play for?  What team did Jack Ramsay play for?  On the other hand, some players don't do well as coaches.  Magic Johnson wasn't so hot, and there are a slew of ex-players who never succeeded in the coaching ranks.  Of course, as Chip always says, if you don't have good players, no amount of coaching will fix that.

9 minutes ago, gentlemanquartely said:

pops was a great heady player in the league.  i'm sure hubie and red played.  back in during reconstruction prolly but im certain played.  i'm rooting for the guy but i can honestly say his lack of experience on the court concerns me.

Heard somewhere (think it's the Chris Vernon Show with Kevin Arnovitz)  that he is only one of two NBA coaches ever that has never even played college ball. Not even a bench warmer. I think last he played was in his HS. 

There is just no real past body of work to judge him by. Still, I wish he blows everyone away and be better than expected only because this team needs a win in the coaching department. 

2 minutes ago, Teddy.B said:

Heard somewhere that he is only one of two NBA coaches ever that has never even played college ball. Not even a bench warmer. I think last he played was in his HS. 

There is just no real past body of work to judge him by. Still, I wish he blows everyone away and be better than expected only because this team needs a win in the coaching department. 

that's all i'm saying.  former players make the best coaches because they've lived it.  the best drug and alcohol counselors are former addicts.  i think playing in the league IS a necessary prerequisite for success in the nba.  kerr, phil Jackson, pat riley, ainge, etc.   I hope we got a nick nurse with him.  but we'll see.  i'm pretty excited about the future.

39 minutes ago, gentlemanquartely said:

that's all i'm saying.  former players make the best coaches because they've lived it.  the best drug and alcohol counselors are former addicts.  i think playing in the league IS a necessary prerequisite for success in the nba.  kerr, phil Jackson, pat riley, ainge, etc.   I hope we got a nick nurse with him.  but we'll see.  i'm pretty excited about the future.

i think nurse played  college ball...but hey jenkins did play HS bball.

5 hours ago, gentlemanquartely said:

pops was a great heady player in the league.  i'm sure hubie and red played.  back in during reconstruction prolly but im certain played.  i'm rooting for the guy but i can honestly say his lack of experience on the court concerns me.

No, none of those guys played in the NBA, and now we have another to add.  Nick Nurse, the new NBA Champion Raptors coach never played in the NBA either.

8 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

No, none of those guys played in the NBA, and now we have another to add.  Nick Nurse, the new NBA Champion Raptors coach never played in the NBA either.

not totally true.  pops played.  i remember watching him as a kid.

40 minutes ago, gentlemanquartely said:

not totally true.  pops played.  i remember watching him as a kid.

What team did he play for? I sure as heck can't find anything. I think your memory is faulty.

On 6/13/2019 at 6:54 PM, smit-tay griz said:

Playing in the league is not prerequisite for being a good coach.  What team did Popovich play for?  What team did Auerbach play for?  What team did Hubie Brown play for? 

Easy. Hubie played for the same team that Red Auerbach played for.