GF#1

Grizzlies hire Taylor Jenkins as next head coach

23 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I'm aware and that's cool but if JV is in all the Pick n Rolls what is Jaren doing? I'm just questioning how he and Jaren fit on the court together. I much prefer Jaren to be the featured guy over JV.

so you have no concerns about the grizzlies overusing jaren like the warriors and OKC overused KD?

This is a real question Jared already got hurt in his rookie year.

26 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Taylor Jenkins press conference is on 92.9.   So far he has stated that the team will be defense-first and offensively free flowing with moving and sharing the ball quickly.     Doesn't sound like Jonas would be featured much.  Other than the money no real reason for him to want to stick around in my IMHO.  

Well **** sound alot like what I've been trying to say. It also sounds like they were completely on board with developing their players. Idk why it was so difficult to understand that things were going to be different next season. They are embracing the rebuild. All Coach Jenkins talked about was competing and getting better and everyone making each other better. Sound like a coach who was brought in for a rebuild to me. The fact that Zack and Tayshaun said they expect it to be a long process doesn't sound like a team that's expecting to win alot next season..... 🤷‍♂️

22 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

so you have no concerns about the grizzlies overusing jaren like the warriors and OKC overused KD?

This is a real question Jared already got hurt in his rookie year.

What are you talking about that is two totally different situations. How would they over use him by making him a featured part of the offense in a way that allows him to display all his skills and not just run him to the front of the rim like they did last year???? And him getting injured with a thigh bruise near the end of the season after they decided they were done trying to convey? 

You have missed my point entirely. I don't care if JV is a Grizzly or not but he does not at any point of his remaining time here need to be the main guy for the grizzlies. Those responsibilities should fall on Ja and Jaren and it's not so they can lead us to the playoffs in year one it's to help their development so in year 3 or 4 they are reaching their potential and are the players everyone hopes they will become. I 100% feel if JV comes back next season and the offense is ran through him cause he's the best option, that would be a wasted year of developing Ja and Jaren.

I want Ja and Jaren to develop pick and roll chemistry not Ja and Jonas. It's not that I don't like Jonas as a player, cause I do I like him much more than I liked Marc Gasol (which wasn't much) and he brings an element that this team hasn't had since Zach whom I also liked but Jonas isn't a featured part of the future he's apart of the present and I'm more interested in the future of the Grizzlies.

45 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I'm aware and that's cool but if JV is in all the Pick n Rolls what is Jaren doing? I'm just questioning how he and Jaren fit on the court together. I much prefer Jaren to be the featured guy over JV.

I think all three can be featured and having JV around would facilitate J4 growth. There's a lot JJJ can learn from him. Including setting screens, rolling to the basket, using his body. Plus invaluable practice vs JV to learn playing against stronger centers.

What I'd love to see next season:

Ja/JV PnR with JJJ spacing the floor/possibly cutting. JV sets the screen for Ja and cuts to the basket, Ja gets some space, passes to JV, JV gets doubled with help defender and passes to free JJJ for an easy jumper/cutting dunk;

Ja/JJJ PnR with JV becoming at least a 40%er from the corner three.

JJJ/JV big PnR. I really think JJJ can become a ball handler and that would be nearly unstoppable.

Having our offense running through these three guys we would benefit the most from 3 and D guys at SG and SF, and we already have them in Bradley and Bruno.

I really hope JV opts in and we get to see all this develop. If it doesn't work, we trade JV to a wannabe contender (or a suddenly injury-ridden team) mid-season and get at least something from him. Would hate to see him walk away for nothing, considering he's the best piece of Mark trade.

Don't forget that JV is also unlikely to play 30+ minutes, he's most effective under that. Which means there's still a lot of minutes available if you want to feature solely Ja/JJJ or both of them. Or JJJ at center.

I'm excited for the next season, even if we probably won't win too many games. But I fully believe that if J4 take some leaps, we can go to at least second round in a couple of years.

14 minutes ago, evilution said:

I think all three can be featured and having JV around would facilitate J4 growth. There's a lot JJJ can learn from him. Including setting screens, rolling to the basket, using his body. Plus invaluable practice vs JV to learn playing against stronger centers.

What I'd love to see next season:

Ja/JV PnR with JJJ spacing the floor/possibly cutting. JV sets the screen for Ja and cuts to the basket, Ja gets some space, passes to JV, JV gets doubled with help defender and passes to free JJJ for an easy jumper/cutting dunk;

Ja/JJJ PnR with JV becoming at least a 40%er from the corner three.

JJJ/JV big PnR. I really think JJJ can become a ball handler and that would be nearly unstoppable.

Having our offense running through these three guys we would benefit the most from 3 and D guys at SG and SF, and we already have them in Bradley and Bruno.

I really hope JV opts in and we get to see all this develop. If it doesn't work, we trade JV to a wannabe contender (or a suddenly injury-ridden team) mid-season and get at least something from him. Would hate to see him walk away for nothing, considering he's the best piece of Mark trade.

Don't forget that JV is also unlikely to play 30+ minutes, he's most effective under that. Which means there's still a lot of minutes available if you want to feature solely Ja/JJJ or both of them. Or JJJ at center.

I'm excited for the next season, even if we probably won't win too many games. But I fully believe that if J4 take some leaps, we can go to at least second round in a couple of years.

Totally agree 

28 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

What are you talking about that is two totally different situations. How would they over use him by making him a featured part of the offense in a way that allows him to display all his skills and not just run him to the front of the rim like they did last year???? And him getting injured with a thigh bruise near the end of the season after they decided they were done trying to convey? 

You have missed my point entirely. I don't care if JV is a Grizzly or not but he does not at any point of his remaining time here need to be the main guy for the grizzlies. Those responsibilities should fall on Ja and Jaren and it's not so they can lead us to the playoffs in year one it's to help their development so in year 3 or 4 they are reaching their potential and are the players everyone hopes they will become. I 100% feel if JV comes back next season and the offense is ran through him cause he's the best option, that would be a wasted year of developing Ja and Jaren.

I want Ja and Jaren to develop pick and roll chemistry not Ja and Jonas. It's not that I don't like Jonas as a player, cause I do I like him much more than I liked Marc Gasol (which wasn't much) and he brings an element that this team hasn't had since Zach whom I also liked but Jonas isn't a featured part of the future he's apart of the present and I'm more interested in the future of the Grizzlies.

I don't personally see jaren Jackson Jr as a great pick-and-roll player and he certainly isn't ever going to be the level of pick-and-roll player that Marc gasol was. Maybe I'm in the minority but I just don't see it.

Tumi jaren Jackson Jr is more Zach Randolph than Marc gasol and he's a threat to score at all three levels but you're not going to have him run a pick-and-roll to perfection.

And in fact his 3-point shots while they are good to have somebody that can do that Jaren needs to learn proper spacing in order for those three pointers to make a difference in the long run right now they're just like one all three point shots so yeah I think Jaren has a lot to work on.

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Taylor Jenkins press conference is on 92.9.   So far he has stated that the team will be defense-first and offensively free flowing with moving and sharing the ball quickly.     Doesn't sound like Jonas would be featured much.  Other than the money no real reason for him to want to stick around in my IMHO.  

sounds like no one will be featured but to be honest a lineup of conley/ja/bruno or slowmo/3Js/JV doesn't need a "featured guy"

Y'all are forgetting that JV has the option to opt out if he wants. The ball isn't in our court and if I'm JV I'm packing my bags right now unless I'm worried about that 17 mill,  which is a lot of worry

35 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

i actually think 3js is going to be better than JV...heck i want JV to be 3Js sidekick..in other words JV would be 3Js marc to  zbo.

winning teams need chemistry, ball movement with all their starting 5 and 2-3 deep on the bench during playoffs.  So take the Raptors....Leonard, Siakim, Lowry, Gasol, Green...you don't see Grizzlies having an equivalent spot for JV in their 1-5?  They all have a role to play? Take a healthy Warriors team, Curry, Thompson, Iguodala, Durant and Green...same question, do you see an equivalent role and value for JV in these 5?  JV is no Leonard or Curry/Durant.  But hell why would we walk away for a guy that crashes the boards, clogs up the middle and gets you two points when he has the ball within 5 feet of the rim?

Dramond and Green arguably the "lower value" players are both making $17M+, Gasol and Ibaka the lower value players on Raptors are both above $23M....

and the Grizzlies have issues with JV at $17M as part of your 5?

10 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

winning teams need chemistry, ball movement with all their starting 5 and 2-3 deep on the bench during playoffs.  So take the Raptors....Leonard, Siakim, Lowry, Gasol, Green...you don't see Grizzlies having an equivalent spot for JV in their 1-5?  They all have a role to play? Take a healthy Warriors team, Curry, Thompson, Iguodala, Durant and Green...same question, do you see an equivalent role and value for JV in these 5?  JV is no Leonard or Curry/Durant.  But hell why would we walk away for a guy that crashes the boards, clogs up the middle and gets you two points when he has the ball within 5 feet of the rim?

Dramond and Green arguably the "lower value" players are both making $17M+, Gasol and Ibaka the lower value players on Raptors are both above $23M....

and the Grizzlies have issues with JV at $17M as part of your 5?

It's his option to walk away,  not ours

the grizzlies already know if J,V   will op in /out  they knew weeks ago 

I believe the grizzlies will sign J,V to a new 4 year contract with a player op after 3 years

3 minutes ago, lions said:

I believe the grizzlies will sign J,V to a new 4 year contract with a player op after 3 years

Even though this is totally baseless, I hope you're right.

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I wonder if there has ever been an NBA coach that hasn't said something like this ("Tough defense" and "Faster offensively" type of comments).  

-"Yeah, we're going to be pretty much the same as last year, but maybe clog it up on offense because our defense is going to be suspect and I'm trying to hide that by slowing it down offensively"

4 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Even though this is totally baseless, I hope you're right.

sports radio would have know weeks ago if jv would have op out 

if J,V op out he op out ,where not taking about losing a H.O.F 

BY LISTEN to the press conference ,I feel the grizzlies are about to hire a FEMALE coach on there staff 

11 minutes ago, lions said:

BY LISTEN to the press conference ,I feel the grizzlies are about to hire a FEMALE coach on there staff 

...?

28 minutes ago, lions said:

the grizzlies already know if J,V   will op in /out  they knew weeks ago 

Just like who you thought the Grizzlies' new HC was? 🤣

17 minutes ago, lions said:

if J,V op out he op out ,where not taking about losing a H.O.F 

But he is an above average starting center in the NBA and given a choice of already having a starting center that could be dealt in the future for something in return, and relying on "hope" to find one in a future draft, trade, or FA signing, I'd rather get the center position solidified and spend future drafts, trades, and FA signings on other areas of needs.

It is costly to lose UFA for nothing, especially because of the salary cap implications.

It's really better for the Grizzlies to have him opt-in this year, and then re-sign him with Bird rights next year when Parsons and Miles roll off and the team can actually sign some guys.

21 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

But he is an above average starting center in the NBA and given a choice of already having a starting center that could be dealt in the future for something in return, and relying on "hope" to find one in a future draft, trade, or FA signing, I'd rather get the center position solidified and spend future drafts, trades, and FA signings on other areas of needs.

It is costly to lose UFA for nothing, especially because of the salary cap implications.

It's really better for the Grizzlies to have him opt-in this year, and then re-sign him with Bird rights next year when Parsons and Miles roll off and the team can actually sign some guys.

Not to mention the optics of losing the key piece in the trade for Marc. 

Tayshaun says coach J is a strong X’s And O’s coach, based on the interview process. Comforting to hear that from him rather than a suit like Kleiman.