GF#1

Grizzlies hire Taylor Jenkins as next head coach

1 minute ago, toocoolkellz said:

Brooks can be a respectable wing

Yea Oregon played pretty fast 

I'm done arguing about this BS fast Pace crap because it's clear ndq have no intelligible argument about it other than saying well we don't want a dinosaur on our team we want to be fast paced.

I'm done with it it's stupid

1 hour ago, Allen said:

He’s a good player and would be valuable at the right price but people are acting like he’s a key piece to the future of the team. He’s just a guy. I’m hoping he opts in so we can trade him 

I think he's better than "just a guy".  He rebounds at a better rate than Zach Randolph.  He scores well, shoots free throws pretty well, blocks shots pretty well.  Do I want us running most of our offense through him?  No, but I think he should get a fair number of them.  I would at least like to see how he and Jaren play together for a good part of the season before deciding how he fits.

Edit:  If we just dump him or let him walk, then we wasted the trade of Marc Gasol.

9 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I think he's better than "just a guy".  He rebounds at a better rate than Zach Randolph.  He scores well, shoots free throws pretty well, blocks shots pretty well.  Do I want us running most of our offense through him?  No, but I think he should get a fair number of them.  I would at least like to see how he and Jaren play together for a good part of the season before deciding how he fits.

He’s been just a guy his entire career. Putting up inflated stats on a talent deprived team doesn’t change that. JV caliber players are easily replaceable 

11 minutes ago, Allen said:

He’s been just a guy his entire career. Putting up inflated stats on a talent deprived team doesn’t change that. JV caliber players are easily replaceable 

He put up stats at near the same rate he has for his entire career while on a playoff team.  He just got more minutes here.

How does his style of play help anyone develop? The other 4 players are just standing around. I would think the offense should be more free flowing and giving everyone an opportunity to get good looks.

6 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

How does his style of play help anyone develop? The other 4 players are just standing around. I would think the offense should be more free flowing and giving everyone an opportunity to get good looks.

I can live with Jonas one or two dribbles and rolling to the rim to put up the shot. Or crashing the boards. No isolation.

He puts up 18 and 11 and the team isnt terrible then he becomes midseason trade bait. Thats all I would want him for.

I'll take this JV but not Iso JV

With Toronto he got points cleaning the boards and some pick and roll and limited isos

22 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

So you're just going to turn the team over to the young guys for development? BS, you play to get in the POs.

17 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I can live with Jonas one or two dribbles and rolling to the rim to put up the shot. Or crashing the boards. No isolation.

He puts up 18 and 11 and the team isnt terrible then he becomes midseason trade bait. Thats all I would want him for

If the new coach can turn him into Brook Lopez then he becomes a really valuable guy. Their shooting numbers are very similar before Lopez starting taking a ton of 3s. High pick and roll with Ja would be great.

28 minutes ago, Dwash said:

He puts up 18 and 11 and the team isnt terrible then he becomes midseason trade bait. Thats all I would want him for.

Explain to me why having him average 26 points a game would be a bad thing? Why would be so catastrophically bad for this team?

and you might want to tell Nick Nurse to stop isoing kawhi Leonard because that's all they do.

24 minutes ago, UkGrizz said:

If the new coach can turn him into Brook Lopez then he becomes a really valuable guy. Their shooting numbers are very similar before Lopez starting taking a ton of 3s. High pick and roll with Ja would be great.

Brook was always a lot smoother and had more range in the mid range. JV winds back like he is throwing a bowling ball when he shoots jumpers.

15 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Explain to me why having him average 26 points a game would be a bad thing? Why would be so catastrophically bad for this team?

and you might want to tell Nick Nurse to stop isoing kawhi Leonard because that's all they do.

Because no one else is doing anything did u not look at the differences in the two highlights featured Jones is an iso monster and that is great for a team battling for the playoffs with established players not for a team with two kids under the age of 21 who are supposed to be your future how is JV getting his stats helping them? The goal is to develop them not be some middling team with a center averaging 30 and 15....... Enes Kanter can do the same thing off the bench while Jaren and Ja develop I don't care about winning games if it's going to lead to more 1st round exits cause we are relying on vets and ignoring young player development. Jaren and Ja plus one more 19-23 highly talented player 3-4 years down the road would make the grizzlies a top team in the league if they are given the time and opportunity to reach their potential. And you want to waste that for a center cause he scored a bunch of points and got alot of rebound on a crappy team the last two months of the season????

Like I keep saying JV is fine as long as he's not the focal point of the team. If he plays like he did in Toronto and picks his spots then that is perfectly acceptable but just throwing him the ball every time down and standing around is not beneficial to anyone but JV. 

So unless they trade for Gordan Hayward JV is going to view himself as the best optionon this team to win games while means a bunch of JV isolations

17 hours ago, costarica2 said:

Let's face it guys this hire is so BORING!!

Yeah, man, and Rodman would have taken the job for weed. 

1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

JV is fine 

And he has the best beard in the NBA, sorry Harden. 

They hired who???????????????????????

At this rate they might as well get Donald Trump to run the Basketball Operations

4 hours ago, GrizzliesIQYO said:

Jonas is 27 which is considered prime in the NBA.  The core should be Ja, Jaren, Jonas, Kyle, and any other serviceable young guy at this point.   

YO

ja,jaren,bruno,kyle should be the core four going forward...ja/jaren are the only out of the group that should command max contracts...should have enough to add another allstar level player to that group

ja/slowmo/bruno/3js/allstar caliber C/Pf

1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

Because no one else is doing anything did u not look at the differences in the two highlights featured Jones is an iso monster and that is great for a team battling for the playoffs with established players not for a team with two kids under the age of 21 who are supposed to be your future how is JV getting his stats helping them? The goal is to develop them not be some middling team with a center averaging 30 and 15....... Enes Kanter can do the same thing off the bench while Jaren and Ja develop I don't care about winning games if it's going to lead to more 1st round exits cause we are relying on vets and ignoring young player development. Jaren and Ja plus one more 19-23 highly talented player 3-4 years down the road would make the grizzlies a top team in the league if they are given the time and opportunity to reach their potential. And you want to waste that for a center cause he scored a bunch of points and got alot of rebound on a crappy team the last two months of the season????

Like I keep saying JV is fine as long as he's not the focal point of the team. If he plays like he did in Toronto and picks his spots then that is perfectly acceptable but just throwing him the ball every time down and standing around is not beneficial to anyone but JV. 

So unless they trade for Gordan Hayward JV is going to view himself as the best optionon this team to win games while means a bunch of JV isolations

you need to watch some JV highlights most of his shot attempts comes from the PNR...he really only gets feed the ball when its a mismatch or he hot...JV is not zbo

Just now, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

you need to watch some JV highlights most of his shot attempts comes from the PNR...he really only gets feed the ball when its a mismatch or he hot...JV is not zbo

I'm aware and that's cool but if JV is in all the Pick n Rolls what is Jaren doing? I'm just questioning how he and Jaren fit on the court together. I much prefer Jaren to be the featured guy over JV.

3 hours ago, Allen said:

so name so guys that the grizzs can get to replace him...oh remember their are 29 other teams in the league.

Just now, Ndq0327 said:

I'm aware and that's cool but if JV is in all the Pick n Rolls what is Jaren doing? I'm just questioning how he and Jaren fit on the court together. I much prefer Jaren to be the featured guy over JV.

why not both lets say we keep conley...no we got ja and conley who have a choice of running pick and rolls/pops with 3js or JV..it'll keep defense on their heels...then you  could even through kyle and bruno in the mix..to me the variety of options are just to good.

I agree there are a lot of "stupid & uniformed" comments being made on JV, and I thought this thread was about Jenkins..so if it's an open mic, well;

1. There are no guarantees that JJJ and JA will stay in Memphis for a long term build/4+ years that many want to see happen...if this team doesn't begin to make the PO's soon, no culture will be established, and attracting FA's will be minimal..look at Toronto experience and their history despite being a model franchise, excellent owners, sold out every night, arguably the best GM and rookie coach making mostly the right decisions in an NBA final
  2. Trade MC during the draft and get some cap room, and then go after FA's...just think of the options at 2 if you brought in a Kyrie..and before you whack me with your comments, he is a 6 time all star and NBA champion..and he is 26.  We won't get him, but you gotta think this way.
  3. JV is a no-brainer to try to resign.  If the JV highlite real in this thread vs Houston was JJJ and not Jonas...we'd be saying All-Star.  No to iSO and JV?  Who cares as long as you score efficiently and win.  We trying to build a winning team to contend?  If you know the NBA, you know that JV was all about team first and winning.
  4. But if we kinda did all these things, what would the debbie downers have to vent about?  2020 election coming up, go spend your "valuable" time on those chat boards.

Taylor Jenkins press conference is on 92.9.   So far he has stated that the team will be defense-first and offensively free flowing with moving and sharing the ball quickly.     Doesn't sound like Jonas would be featured much.  Other than the money no real reason for him to want to stick around in my IMHO.