GF#1

Grizzlies hire Taylor Jenkins as next head coach

3 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

Hollins (.491 win percentage) wasn't coming back here - that bridge has been burned.

Mitchell (.433 win percentage) has never won a playoff series as a head coach.

Woodson (.463 win percentage) coached 8 full seasons (he coached a part of the 2011-2012 season for the Knicks where they won 1 playoff game). 5 of those seasons were losing seasons (though thanks to the mediocrity of the East, they still made the playoffs that year). His Hawks lost in 7 in the first round in 2007-2008, got swept in the 2nd round in 2008-2009 and got swept again in 2009-2010. His Knicks lost in 6 in the 2nd round in 2012-2013.

These three guys combined have zero conference finals wins and a sub-500 win percentage. Don't see the fascination with any of these guys.

i'm not sure where you got your information that he wouldn't come back. He clearly said that he would come back (right before he got the Lakers asst job. Do I think Pera  would have welcomed him back? Have no idea, I doubt it but Hollins would have come back:

3 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

i'm not sure where you got your information that he wouldn't come back. He clearly said that he would come back (right before he got the Lakers asst job. Do I think Pera  would have welcomed him back? Have no idea, I doubt it but Hollins would have come back:

Sorry - bad wording. I meant this ownership group would never bring him back. Nor was I every really interested in them doing so.

3 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

This coach is a direct hire from Pera so there is no ambiguity as to whose man he is, therefore he will have a longer rope. 

I wish him the best and hope he works out well, but with his age and lack of experience really don't see him sticking. Not a knock on him, but this is the highest level of professional basketball, just a different animal with so many levels. 

Pera call you and tell you that? I didn't see that happening. I don't see how they can say Snyder was off the Bud tree, he only coach under him for 1 year before getting the Jazz job. I thought they were supposed to be going after a Blazer assistant, I guess that didn't pan out. The FO has a lot going on in this pick.

9 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Pera call you and tell you that? I didn't see that happening. I don't see how they can say Snyder was off the Bud tree, he only coach under him for 1 year before getting the Jazz job. I thought they were supposed to be going after a Blazer assistant, I guess that didn't pan out. The FO has a lot going on in this pick.

Before they hired him, the Grizzlies met with Jenkins three different times, including once with team owner Robert Pera last week. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/grizzlies-hiring-bucks-assistant-taylor-jenkins-as-their-next-head-coach-per-report/

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I don't care if our coach is not the face of the franchise.  This isn't college. If we wanted a guy who has his own shoe then we could have hired Cole Haan.

You mean Stacey Adams 🤣💫

1 hour ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

You mean Stacey Adams 🤣💫

Ummm. Sounds too expensive for the Grizzlies' taste.  

We go for the outlet mall version of the good brands.

If you guys remember, I postulated the idea that the grizzlies could mold the team similar to the bucks and got laughed off of the forum. It appears to me that the grizzlies are looking in that direction as well.

The bucks offense features a bunch of big guys working in tandem together. The fact of the matter is that the grizzlies pieces fit very well to what the bucks were doing.

All that really remains to be seen is if Jonas envisions a future for himself in that type of offense. I think that he may or may not like it since he just left a situation in which a wing player dominated the offense and if he thinks Jenkins is more like Nurse than Bud, he might want to punch his ticket out of here.

My guy feeling is that Jenkins is going to say all the right things to keep Jonas happy. And maybe Jonas gives it a trial run this year but won't commit himself to a larger contract.

We'll see how this works out. I think if the grizzlies can convince Jonas to stick around that Mike might be willing to stay one more year, but we will see. Chris Herrington seems convinced that Mike privately wants to leave despite what he says on national talk shows.

Welcome Taylor Jenkins.   

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

If you guys remember, I postulated the idea that the grizzlies could mold the team similar to the bucks and got laughed off of the forum. It appears to me that the grizzlies are looking in that direction as well.

The bucks offense features a bunch of big guys working in tandem together. The fact of the matter is that the grizzlies pieces fit very well to what the bucks were doing.

All that really remains to be seen is if Jonas envisions a future for himself in that type of offense. I think that he may or may not like it since he just left a situation in which a wing player dominated the offense and if he thinks Jenkins is more like Nurse than Bud, he might want to punch his ticket out of here.

My guy feeling is that Jenkins is going to say all the right things to keep Jonas happy. And maybe Jonas gives it a trial run this year but won't commit himself to a larger contract.

We'll see how this works out. I think if the grizzlies can convince Jonas to stick around that Mike might be willing to stay one more year, but we will see. Chris Herrington seems convinced that Mike privately wants to leave despite what he says on national talk shows.

Welcome Taylor Jenkins.   

You guys are hilarious with this Jonas stuff. Rock on I guess.  I just want him to build a solid relationship with Ja and Jaren

I don't know much about this coach, but the important thing is that the FO give him time to work.
If after a 5-15 start the sacking rumors already begin and some young players/2rounder are traded to take a 30yo veteran like Holyday or someone like him, it will be useless.

Give him at least two full years.

Welcome TJ

18 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

That's why I said get cheaper centers who won't command playing time if the Grizz do the Miami deal and get Olynik he can start at center next to Jaren if JV walks go sign Dedmon to a cheap deal as your back up center. They can do all the banging for Jaren you don't need to pay someone JV kinda money to do that.

The team isn't going to be that good so you should use your good veterans as assets. Avery Bradley should be an asset the Grizz don't have problems signing role players in FA so they can be replaced with guys that fit a rebuilding team 

that my point exactly. people seem to think a rebuild means you have to suck and win less than 30 games. you don't. all going "cheap" does is get you a roster full of fringe nba talent and non competitive games which this fan base doesn't need. avery is not a dinosaur. he's a solid vet who can play and lead young guys. same with JV. olynk is not a starting center in the nba. I promise you, If we start going to get cheaper guys who fit a role, we will see the result. at the end of the day it takes talent to win in the nba. having less of it does you no good. I'm fine for moving a vet like conley but only if it gets us a top 8 pick in the draft. if we go to young and cheap, we run the risk of turning into the Suns and nobody wants that.

I said before, in tyler Dorsey, Dillon, JJJ, Jevon, Bruno, ivan, probably JA,  and another high 1st round pick if we move mike on or before draft day, we have enough you talent to build around. don't need to take up minutes from them for ancillary pieces that wont be on the team past their current contract probably.

1 hour ago, Allen said:

You guys are hilarious with this Jonas stuff. Rock on I guess.  I just want him to build a solid relationship with Ja and Jaren

Why do you scoff at Jonas playing on the team?  You know Ja and Jaren can't do everything.  We haven't had anyone who can rebound like Jonas since we had prime Zach Randolph and Jaren does not rebound well.  Surrounding young Ja and Jaren with second rate players isn't going to do anything but make them want to leave.

6 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Why do you scoff at Jonas playing on the team?  You know Ja and Jaren can't do everything.  We haven't had anyone who can rebound like Jonas since we had prime Zach Randolph and Jaren does not rebound well.  Surrounding young Ja and Jaren with second rate players isn't going to do anything but make them want to leave.

You need more than just 2 players to compete in the nba. Jonas's crime is that he is too good and they are afriad that he'll take too many shots away from our superstar, but then when I said that Jaren could be similar to Giannis, oh I get laughed off the board. Well if he ian't going to be as good as Giannis then why the hell are we discarding 20 point 10 board players so that he can take the reins? It don't make no sense. 

5 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Welcome Taylor Jenkins.   

He's said multiple times he doesn't want to be a part of a rebuild.....on national TV. I don't see how you else you could view it. If we rebuild, he wants to leave. If he believes we can win, he would stay. The assumption is that we're rebuilding, therefore...he wants to leave. You can't live outside the facts.

If he's a good developmental coach ... he's fine.  If we're going with Ja and trading Conley, we'll be in full-blown rebuild mode for a while and won't be in the playoffs anyway.  Get ready for some lean times until the young guys build some chemistry and earn their stripes.

I like this hire because he has come from a good coach that learned from one of the best (Pop).  He is young so we don't have to overpay and he can hopefully be our coach for a very long time.  He needs us just as much as we need him.  They need to get rid of the vets so the young guys will buy in and allow him to coach and put in whatever culture and philosophies he wants to utilize to be successful.  My only fear is it looks like he hasn't really played so he will have to really get them to believe in him which starts with winning some games or at least developing them.

YO 

Jonas is 27 which is considered prime in the NBA.  The core should be Ja, Jaren, Jonas, Kyle, and any other serviceable young guy at this point.   

YO

1 hour ago, smit-tay griz said:

He’s a good player and would be valuable at the right price but people are acting like he’s a key piece to the future of the team. He’s just a guy. I’m hoping he opts in so we can trade him 

1 minute ago, GrizzliesIQYO said:

Jonas is 27 which is considered prime in the NBA.  The core should be Ja, Jaren, Jonas, Kyle, and any other serviceable young guy at this point.   

YO

What type of fast paced offense will the team play with Jonas and Kyle??

This team is about to give up a top draft pick and miss the next five playoffs. Buckle in tight. 

28 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

What type of fast paced offense will the team play with Jonas and Kyle??

Coming in saying we are going to play fast is stupid.  You look at the roster and build a scheme based on your roster.   

YO

Playing fast only works when you a star guard are guards that can score in isolation and are hard to stay in front of (CP3, Harden, Steve Nash, Miami Dwade and Bron, Iverson, The Warriors, Giannis, Westbrook, etc, ).  We don't have any respectable guards or wings outside of Conley.

YO

2 minutes ago, GrizzliesIQYO said:

Playing fast only works when you a star guard are guards that can score in isolation and are hard to stay in front of (CP3, Harden, Steve Nash, Miami Dwade and Bron, Iverson, The Warriors, Giannis, Westbrook, etc, ).  We don't have any respectable guards or wings outside of Conley.

YO

They are going to draft Ja and he plays best fast I don't see them making him play a half court game it would be like forcing Jaren to get paint touches all last season instead of letting him shoot 3's 

4 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

They are going to draft Ja and he plays best fast I don't see them making him play a half court game it would be like forcing Jaren to get paint touches all last season instead of letting him shoot 3's 

I don't know explain to me how the warriors ever became a fast-paced team with Andrew bogut on there team starting, how in the world did the raptors get passed the Milwaukee bucks with Marc gasol starting on their team.

This is a serious question because I'm really don't understand where you're coming from. 

12 minutes ago, GrizzliesIQYO said:

YO

Brooks can be a respectable wing