GF#1

Grizzlies hire Taylor Jenkins as next head coach

44 minutes ago, lions said:

whats WRONG with vet coach who can teach the game L HOLLINS   SAM MITCHELL , MIKE WOODSON . I would even consider LARRY [ the teacher ] BROWN , those coaches are WINNERS

Hollins (.491 win percentage) wasn't coming back here - that bridge has been burned.

Mitchell (.433 win percentage) has never won a playoff series as a head coach.

Woodson (.463 win percentage) coached 8 full seasons (he coached a part of the 2011-2012 season for the Knicks where they won 1 playoff game). 5 of those seasons were losing seasons (though thanks to the mediocrity of the East, they still made the playoffs that year). His Hawks lost in 7 in the first round in 2007-2008, got swept in the 2nd round in 2008-2009 and got swept again in 2009-2010. His Knicks lost in 6 in the 2nd round in 2012-2013.

These three guys combined have zero conference finals wins and a sub-500 win percentage. Don't see the fascination with any of these guys.

1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

There are other guys that can rebound who are cheaper and won't want a featured role on a rebuilding team. If Jonas is fine with being a junk guy crashing the boards and and getting the occasional touches then fine....but if he has some expectation that the team should play through him then no one should be interested in that. I'm not sure what he wants as far as his role goes but it's safe to assume that if he signs up long-term that he would want a featured role.

There seems to always be someone else who can do better but they never come to Memphis for the money you want to pay them, they get quite a  bit more elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Second page of the new head coach thread and we're talking about JV. I actually appreciate that we wander off topic so quickly, just as we do when talking face to face with friends. It makes for good, honest conversation. (By the way, that was a very good post about JV.)

If you hadn't replied there would have been 2 less posts here. 

4 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

Hollins (.491 win percentage) wasn't coming back here - that bridge has been burned.

Mitchell (.433 win percentage) has never won a playoff series as a head coach.

Woodson (.463 win percentage) coached 8 full seasons (he coached a part of the 2011-2012 season for the Knicks where they won 1 playoff game). 5 of those seasons were losing seasons (though thanks to the mediocrity of the East, they still made the playoffs that year). His Hawks lost in 7 in the first round in 2007-2008, got swept in the 2nd round in 2008-2009 and got swept again in 2009-2010. His Knicks lost in 6 in the 2nd round in 2012-2013.

These three guys combined have zero conference finals wins and a sub-500 win percentage. Don't see the fascination with any of these guys.

for some reason all were let go after Building there program . all 3 took over BAD TEAMS  build a good /winning teams .then for some reason were not reside/ fired .

they are now on there 4 coach in 5 years and I think most of them were first time coaches ,,if you have a young team you need a vet/teacher 

This coach is a direct hire from Pera so there is no ambiguity as to whose man he is, therefore he will have a longer rope. 

I wish him the best and hope he works out well, but with his age and lack of experience really don't see him sticking. Not a knock on him, but this is the highest level of professional basketball, just a different animal with so many levels. 

Zero hype for the man, but hey he gets his chance to show n prove as a head coach. We'll see what he can do.

4 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

This coach is a direct hire from Pera so there is no ambiguity as to whose man he is, therefore he will have a longer rope. 

I wish him the best and hope he works out well, but with his age and lack of experience really don't see him sticking. Not a knock on him, but this is the highest level of professional basketball, just a different animal with so many levels. 

thanks teddy bear you are now 4 posts away for that 2500 mark

5 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

They cost more. 

if you want to win big ,you can,t win on a beer budget

3 hours ago, lions said:

whats WRONG with vet coach who can teach the game L HOLLINS   SAM MITCHELL , MIKE WOODSON . I would even consider LARRY [ the teacher ] BROWN , those coaches are WINNERS

All those coaches were rookies too at one point.

4 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

All those coaches were rookies too at one point.

you are 100 percent right but the grizzlies are a young team. young team/young coach = 4 coaches in 5 years

I hope i.m wrong ,I tought the Clemson tigers made a mistake when they hired dabo Swinney 

I was BIG TIME wrong with dabo Swinney and the national champs Clemson tigers 

He went to Penn. So he's a Wharton man?

He had a Spurs internship at one point.  

He's 34 so probably an up-and-comer.  

The author Taylor Jenkins Reid got a lot of praise on her new hire.

Did KBM have his phone off the hook this weekend?

I would have considered the job but I was only going to workout for the Lakers or Knicks  

All kidding aside, let's wish our new coach a warm welcome.

#HiJenks!

15 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

Let's face it guys this hire is so BORING!!

What do you want, a coach that does tricks too?  He's a coach.  People don't go to games to see the coach.

Just now, smit-tay griz said:

What do you want, a coach that does tricks too?  He's a coach.  People don't go to games to see the coach.

I don't care if our coach is not the face of the franchise.  This isn't college. If we wanted a guy who has his own shoe then we could have hired Cole Haan.

4 minutes ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

Good news  we got a coach !!! The rest is speculation. Let's see what rooster he go for and we will see in 6 months from now if it works or not.  

Good luck to him.

Good cluck to him.

rooster.jpg

Pera hired a 34 year old because he wants to micro-manage. 

Now they can coach by committee and everyone has input. They are going full analytics letting the computers ran the team. 

2 minutes ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

😁... french keyboard !!!!

C'est un bon rooster...