Sign in to follow this  
Lugan Village

Importance of Wing Span in building a team

During these playoffs i kept hearing and reading about the importance of wingspan and this Raptors criteria in the draft / trade room.  Ibaka, Gasol Leonard, Siakim, Onunoby, JV...these guys have mammoth wing spans  Something to consider and drafting?  How does our current roster, especially our forwards compare to elite teams?

What is JA's wingspan compared to other elite guards in the draft.?  I think he has exceptionally long arms, but couldn't find the stat...

By far the most important aspect of building a team. Just as putaringonitgrizzfan.

39 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

During these playoffs i kept hearing and reading about the importance of wingspan and this Raptors criteria in the draft / trade room.  Ibaka, Gasol Leonard, Siakim, Onunoby, JV...these guys have mammoth wing spans  Something to consider and drafting?  How does our current roster, especially our forwards compare to elite teams?

What is JA's wingspan compared to other elite guards in the draft.?  I think he has exceptionally long arms, but couldn't find the stat...

Ja's wingspan is 6'7' which is pretty good for a 6'3' PG.   If he adds more core strength and muscle - he can become a beast on defense.    Dillon and Parsons have avg wing span. DB (6''7 with 6'6 wing) Parsons(6'10' w 6'8'wing).   Everyone else has a plus wingspan.  Jaren (7'5') Bruno (7'8') and SloMo (7'4) have exceptional wingspans. 

19 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Ja's wingspan is 6'7' which is pretty good for a 6'3' PG.   If he adds more core strength and muscle - he can become a beast on defense.    Dillon and Parsons have avg wing span. DB (6''7 with 6'6 wing) Parsons(6'10' w 6'8'wing).   Everyone else has a plus wingspan.  Jaren (7'5') Bruno (7'8') and SloMo (7'4) have exceptional wingspans. 

Bruno has a 7'8" wingspan???? 😮

Let's see if he can become a poor man's (homeless) Giannis. With better three point shooting. 

11 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

Let's see if he can become a poor man's (homeless) Giannis. With better three point shooting. 

Yeah he can be a defensive monster for us.

Fran's famous "2 years away from being 2 years away" line was in 2014. So doing the math here, looks like we picked him up at the perfect time ;)

1 hour ago, Zappastache said:

It's pretty insane - 7'7" is what I think he's confirmed at, which gives him a longer wingspan than Hasheem Thabeet.

1 hour ago, ACGrizz said:

It's pretty insane - 7'7" is what I think he's confirmed at, which gives him a longer wingspan than Hasheem Thabeet.

So much for the importance of wing span

3 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

Thabeet vs. Tacko Fall would be a fun summer league matchup.  I think they could BOTH be better than Bol Bol in summer league although Bol has more upside.  But Bol might have a lower "floor" as an injury-prone beanpole that can block shots but isn't very good overall on defense.  

1 minute ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

hopefully our future starting five:

ja- 6"3 with 6"7 winpspan

slowmo-6"9 with 7"3 wingspan

bruno- 6'9 with 7"7 wingspan

3Js- 6"10 wit 7'4 wingspan

JV- 7"0 with 7-4 wingspan

Slo Mo can't shoot.   And, he is more of a point guard although I guess it could work if Ja knocks down the 3 ball then you have 2 ball handlers/passers in the backcourt although you could say the same thing with Ja/Delon Wright.

Holiday is limited but he has decent size, looks fairly long, and can give you some 3 and D.  He might be a better fit at the 2.  

7 hours ago, Lugan Village said:

The new Raptors have wingspan, but the old raptors didn't fare too well with their limited wingspan.

tenor.gif?itemid=8376727

7 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

Slo Mo can't shoot.   And, he is more of a point guard although I guess it could work if Ja knocks down the 3 ball then you have 2 ball handlers/passers in the backcourt although you could say the same thing with Ja/Delon Wright.

Holiday is limited but he has decent size, looks fairly long, and can give you some 3 and D.  He might be a better fit at the 2.  

i actually want slowmo handling the ball most of the time setting up scoring options of 3js/Jv/bruno/ja he could run pickandpop/roll with either guys 

i actually want slowmo handling the ball most of the time setting up scoring options of 3js/js/bruno/ja

I think if you draft Ja it's with the understanding that he'll be a pretty ball-dominant guy and be in charge of handling it the majority of the time - compare his 1st season (off-ball) to his sophomore season (primary ballhandler).

i actually want slowmo handling the ball most of the time setting up scoring options of 3js/Jv/bruno/ja he could run pickandpop/roll with either guys 

Ok. 

Kyle/Jaren pick and pops would be nice.  On the flip side, Ja/Bruno pick and rolls would make for awesome highlights.  

In that case, I would assume that Wright/Holiday/Brooks would be our main utility role players off the bench.  

Just now, ALT GRIND said:

Ok. 

Kyle/Jaren pick and pops would be nice.  On the flip side, Ja/Bruno pick and rolls would make for awesome highlights.  

In that case, I would assume that Wright/Holiday/Brooks would be our main utility role players off the bench.  

im hope dillon can be our 6th man...i think he is the forgotten young talent on the team...im esecpting big things from him next season

4 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

I think if you draft Ja it's with the understanding that he'll be a pretty ball-dominant guy and be in charge of handling it the majority of the time - compare his 1st season (off-ball) to his sophomore season (primary ballhandler).

with the roster currently i think we needs his scoring more than his playmaking