Grizzled Vet

Predictions on what players return from last year's final roster

35 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Rabb has this year to figure it out. If he does, then we have a decent big off the bench, if he doesn't then we move on. Not too hard. He's very skilled, he just needs to get a lot stronger in order to hang with other centers in the league. He'll never be quick enough to play against most PFs at this point, so he has to get stronger. He still has potential though. 

You are exactly right but to me Rabb will never be a decent center in the league. Just not big enough to defend real centers. He's an old school power forward and that's the problem. He would've been a starter 10 years ago with his skill set.

I would recommend he jacks up 500 3s a day all off season because if he doesn't start hitting open 3 pointers he's going to get passed by. And that sucks because I like the kid's game.

1 minute ago, CoolHandGriz said:

I guess there's always a chance of that but pretty far fetched imo.

Miles impressed me in his time here.

I was wondering the same thing "why are people saying he won't be here".

He has opted in and he is pretty much the definition of a good locker room vet. So whether people want him or not he'll most likely be here.

Same deal with Rabb for different reasons. Very little reason to not bring him back (outside of trading him or Miles).

I think the questions are MC11, Delon, Carter - aka the what happens if we draft Ja question...

Also whether Zeller, Holiday, JV, and AB will be back are up for debate right now.

10 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

I guess there's always a chance of that but pretty far fetched imo.

Miles impressed me in his time here.

I don't have any problem with Miles either.  Nothing wrong with having a designated three ball shooter on the team.  When he gets hot he can score in bunches.

2 hours ago, CoolHandGriz said:

You are exactly right but to me Rabb will never be a decent center in the league. Just not big enough to defend real centers. He's an old school power forward and that's the problem. He would've been a starter 10 years ago with his skill set.

I would recommend he jacks up 500 3s a day all off season because if he doesn't start hitting open 3 pointers he's going to get passed by. And that sucks because I like the kid's game.

He'll never be a starter, but I could see him being a decent guy off the bench, like a Greg monroe type. Just needs to get strong like monroe is.

On 6/7/2019 at 5:17 PM, costarica2 said:

This is who I want out

Bradley money 

Rabb did not develop  and never will 

Jevon - he just sucks I'm not a fan.

CJ cap space 

PARSONS!!!!

rabb has developed quite nicely for what he was expected to be which is a back up PF. he is still young and produced when given minutes. he is a definite pro basketball player and should be a staple behind JJJ for years to come. if he played 20 or more minutes a game he was given us 12 points and 5 rebounds almost nightly. and the Jevon hate is ridiculous. I won't even waste my time

1 hour ago, BealeDon’tLie said:

Interesting take from a non grizz guy on what we’ve got going forward

Nice.... that's good stuff.  By the way, cool screen name.

56 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

Nice.... that's good stuff.  By the way, cool screen name.

Appreciate it

**previous name became out of date (see bloc boy jbickerstaff)

1. Mike Conley ($33.5/2 years, last year PO)       Yes but Traded

2. Chandler Parsons ($25/1) Yes but Traded

3. Kyle Anderson ($9.5/3) Yes

4. CJ Miles ($8.7/1) Yes but traded at the trade deadline

5. JJJ ($7.8/3) - He does have team options, but realistically, they will be exercised. Yes

6. Bruno ($1.8/1) Yes

7. Dillon Brooks ($1.6/1) Yes but trade bait 

8. Jevon Carter ($1.4/1 and then RFA into 2020) Yes

Guys with options or other

9. Jonas ($17.6/Player Option by June 13) Yes

10. Avery Bradley ($12.9/1 year with only $2 mm guaranteed, remainder guaranteed on 7/3/19) No

11. Ivan Rabb ($1.6/Team Option) Yes

Free agents

12. Delon Wright (Restricted - $2.5 mm last year) Yes

13. Justin Holiday (UFA - and we will all be thinking of him during the 2nd round of NBA draft) No

14. Joakim Noah (UFA) No

15. Tyler Zeller (UFA) Yes

On 6/8/2019 at 12:09 PM, smit-tay griz said:

What were you expecting from a second round pick?  He shot the highest percentage on the team as it was, was tied for the highest offensive to defensive rating differential, was the third best rebounder, had the fifth highest PER.  What did you want, a superstar?  I thought he produced well for a second round pick, better than Brooks or Carter did.

Brooks got hurt and missed most of the season,  not really a fair comparison.  

On 6/8/2019 at 3:44 PM, Rdk4121 said:

He'll never be a starter, but I could see him being a decent guy off the bench, like a Greg monroe type. Just needs to get strong like monroe is.

Physically, it doesn't appear Rabb has gotten significantly stronger in his 2 years.

His big positive is his offensive rebounding.

I wish he would develop into a 3 point threat.

36 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Physically, it doesn't appear Rabb has gotten significantly stronger in his 2 years.

His big positive is his offensive rebounding.

I wish he would develop into a 3 point threat.

He's starting to take some 3 pointers now at least. I think that can improve for sure. He'll at least get a little more stronger in the offseason, how much just depends on him. 

Guys under contract with no options for next year. (Average amount per year/years remaining)

1. Mike Conley ($33.5/2 years, last year PO). No (I hope I am wrong)

2. Chandler Parsons ($25/1) (I expect a buyout but maybe he will work hard to earn at least one more NBA contract somewhere)

3. Kyle Anderson ($9.5/3). Yes

4. CJ Miles ($8.7/1).  No.  Viable trade asset. 

5. JJJ ($7.8/3) - He does have team options, but realistically, they will be exercised.  Yes

6. Bruno ($1.8/1).  Low Salary and talent, will probably be traded.  No

7. Dillon Brooks ($1.6/1).  Cheap and talented.  Yes

8. Jevon Carter ($1.4/1 and then RFA into 2020). Yes or out of the league.   

9. Jonas ($17.6/Player Option by June 13).  Yes if the front office wants him.   

10. Avery Bradley ($12.9/1 year with only $2 mm guaranteed, remainder guaranteed on 7/3/19). Yes elite role player combo guard. 

11. Ivan Rabb ($1.6/Team Option). Yes.  He made it past all the trades last year.  We have no bigs. 

Free agents

12. Delon Wright (Restricted - $2.5 mm last year).  Yes.  Cheap talent. 

13. Justin Holiday (UFA - and we will all be thinking of him during the 2nd round of NBA draft). Yes if he stays cheap.

14. Joakim Noah (UFA). Yes if we want him. 

15. Tyler Zeller (UFA).  No he was an insurance roster filler. 

9 hours ago, GrizzliesIQYO said:

Guys under contract with no options for next year. (Average amount per year/years remaining)

6. Bruno ($1.8/1).  Low Salary and talent, will probably be traded.  No

Really?  This is your assessment of Bruno?  He shot the highest 3-pt. percentage of anyone on the team - on a shooting starved team.  Of all the guys still under contract for the Grizzlies he is tied with Kyle for second behind Rabb in rebounding rate, second behind Jaren in shot blocking, and 5th in FT%.  He does not have a great feel for the game or great ball handling skills, but he does add other things (tremendous length/wingspan for his size).  He's not perfect, but he seems to be getting better.  I'm pretty sure he'll be on the team in the fall.  JMO.

Guys under contract with no options for next year. (Average amount per year/years remaining)

1. Mike Conley ($33.5/2 years, last year PO) 

Traded

2. Chandler Parsons ($25/1)

STILL HERE UNFORTUNATELY

3. Kyle Anderson ($9.5/3)

YES

4. CJ Miles ($8.7/1)

YES

5. JJJ ($7.8/3) - He does have team options, but realistically, they will be exercised.

YES

6. Bruno ($1.8/1)

YES

7. Dillon Brooks ($1.6/1)

YES

8. Jevon Carter ($1.4/1 and then RFA into 2020)

YES

9. Jonas ($17.6/Player Option by June 13)

Yes

10. Avery Bradley ($12.9/1 year with only $2 mm guaranteed, remainder guaranteed on 7/3/19)

No

11. Ivan Rabb ($1.6/Team Option)

yes

Free agents

12. Delon Wright (Restricted - $2.5 mm last year)

yes

13. Justin Holiday (UFA - and we will all be thinking of him during the 2nd round of NBA draft)

no

14. Joakim Noah (UFA)

no

15. Tyler Zeller (UFA)

no