rc0213

RJ Barrett Declining Request From Grizzlies For Private Workout

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

Oh, i guess we all have to ignore the Jaren and Ja love affair on social media.  Teams know how to get their message out.  

Have they refuted the report?

Why would they refute it? Do NBA teams make it a habit to go around refurting rumors and reports? I don't think so. Do I think we will draft Morant? Sure of course. Do I think the media and other teams in the league think we will draft Morant? Yep. But have i seen someone from the Grizz front office officially come out and state that we will draft Morant? No, I haven't and i'll say it again, if someone has a direct quote from a front office person saying they will absolutely, positively draft Morant 100% then fine post it but otherwise, they haven't stated anything, it's all speculation which happens with drafts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

You're still not understanding me, but I'll go over it for you once again.  My point is that IF the big media market financial advantage even exists at all any more, that advantage is fairly minimal due mostly to the fact that essentially the media market for all players in the year 2019 is every NBA fan the world over with stable enough internet access via the Wifi and 4G you weirdly mock in order to have access to social media and youtube highlights and nba league pass and the like.  In other words, no longer does a player's popularity depend on being seen on live television broadcasts.  Of course Melo and Krisptaps had/have endorsements.  They're superstars.  The reason I brought them up is as a point of comparison to small town Russell Westbrook who himself has huge endorsements with Nike, Samsung, Subway etc. somehow even though he plays in the one of the smallest media markets in the league.  But what would drive my point home better would be a non-superstar New York Knick of your choice, which is why I brought up Frank N, but we could just as easily use Tim Hardaway Jr. or Kevin Knox or whoever you like.   One would assume that if there was a massive advantage to being in NYC that these low level star types would have a long list of endorsements too, but to my knowledge, they don't.  In my opinion Jeremy Lin is an outlier due to the fact that he was the second moderately successful player in history with heritage from a country with 1.3 billion residents. 

Oh, and the Knicks, Lakers, and Celtics are still covered on ESPN because they are three of the most storied, successful, and popular franchises in all of sports.  Now, the size of their media markets many decades ago may have contributed somewhat to their overall popularity build up over the years, but the market size today has little to do with it.  The Celtics media market these days is, for all intents and purposes, no bigger than that of the Hawks, Wizards, or Mavericks, and significantly smaller than that of the Bulls, Clippers, or Nets.  

So now you go from; "but I'm not comparing Russell to Frank.  I'm just using it to illustrate my claim that living in a huge media market these days doesn't give you some sort of vast endorsement advantage any more.  Use Kristaps Porzingis for the comparison if you prefer.  Hell, use 2012 Carmelo Anthony if you prefer."

to; "Of course Melo and Krisptaps had/have endorsements.  They're superstars.  The reason I brought them up is as a point of comparison to small town Russell Westbrook"

 So you say Frank N = Westbrook if media markets matter, I say that's nuts because he's a scrub, you say use Melo or K.P. instead, I do, and then you claim "of course...,They're superstars". K.P. a superstar? If he is a "superstar" it's because of the flippin' big market he played for telling the rest of the world that he was a superstar. You fell for the big media market telling you what to think and don't even see it. He's played in 3 of his 4 seasons averaging 17.8 ppg in 46.5 games per season. Superstar? He's never sniffed the playoffs. No all star teams. Not even rookie of the year. Superstar?

Try some honesty, unless you're being a troll, in which case I was a fool for thinking you wanted an honest conversation.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

So now you go from; "but I'm not comparing Russell to Frank.  I'm just using it to illustrate my claim that living in a huge media market these days doesn't give you some sort of vast endorsement advantage any more.  Use Kristaps Porzingis for the comparison if you prefer.  Hell, use 2012 Carmelo Anthony if you prefer."

to; "Of course Melo and Krisptaps had/have endorsements.  They're superstars.  The reason I brought them up is as a point of comparison to small town Russell Westbrook"

 So you say Frank N = Westbrook if media markets matter, I say that's nuts because he's a scrub, you say use Melo or K.P. instead, I do, and then you claim "of course...,They're superstars". K.P. a superstar? If he is a "superstar" it's because of the flippin' big market he played for telling the rest of the world that he was a superstar. You fell for the big media market telling you what to think and don't even see it. He's played in 3 of his 4 seasons averaging 17.8 ppg in 46.5 games per season. Superstar? He's never sniffed the playoffs. No all star teams. Not even rookie of the year. Superstar?

Try some honesty, unless you're being a troll, in which case I was a fool for thinking you wanted an honest conversation.

 

In todays market,  market size has no affect on bona-fide stars. Maybe low level stars like a Tobias Harris could or woulf benefit from being in NYC,  but I can't think of one player in NYC on the level of Russ in one of the smallest markets in okc 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

In todays market,  market size has no affect on bona-fide stars. Maybe low level stars like a Tobias Harris could or woulf benefit from being in NYC,  but I can't think of one player in NYC on the level of Russ in one of the smallest markets in okc 

OJ Mayo's first two seasons were better than Porzingis's. Did anyone other than Lil' OJ Mayo ever think he was a superstar?

Porzingis is not a superstar, but because a big media market told everyone he was, you have a guy arguing that big media markets don't matter as he calls Porzingis a superstar.

You are nuts if you think Westbrook would not make more money in endorsements playing for the Knicks or Lakers than OKC. When's the last time you have seen a Grizzly player hawking something on tv? Ever?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

OJ Mayo's first two seasons were better than Porzingis's. Did anyone other than Lil' OJ Mayo ever think he was a superstar?

Porzingis is not a superstar, but because a big media market told everyone he was, you have a guy arguing that big media markets don't matter as he calls Porzingis a superstar.

You are nuts if you think Westbrook would not make more money in endorsements playing for the Knicks or Lakers than OKC. When's the last time you have seen a Grizzly player hawking something on tv? Ever?

JJJ works with a bank right? His dad too if I'm not mistaken 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

OJ Mayo's first two seasons were better than Porzingis's. Did anyone other than Lil' OJ Mayo ever think he was a superstar?

Porzingis is not a superstar, but because a big media market told everyone he was, you have a guy arguing that big media markets don't matter as he calls Porzingis a superstar.

You are nuts if you think Westbrook would not make more money in endorsements playing for the Knicks or Lakers than OKC. When's the last time you have seen a Grizzly player hawking something on tv? Ever?

I think Shane Battier hawked long-term care insurance when he was here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 7:40 PM, Father Pat said:

OJ Mayo's first two seasons were better than Porzingis's. Did anyone other than Lil' OJ Mayo ever think he was a superstar?

Porzingis is not a superstar, but because a big media market told everyone he was, you have a guy arguing that big media markets don't matter as he calls Porzingis a superstar.

You are nuts if you think Westbrook would not make more money in endorsements playing for the Knicks or Lakers than OKC. When's the last time you have seen a Grizzly player hawking something on tv? Ever?

Pinnacle Financial Partners, the official bank of the Memphis Grizzlies and FedExForum, has signed a representation deal with the Grizzlies’ top draft pick, Jaren Jackson Jr.

The two-year partnership is the first such deal Pinnacle has inked with an individual Grizzlies player. Financial terms of the partnership were not released.

“As we enter into the third year of our Grizzlies partnership, we wanted to highlight an individual player,” said Joe Bass, communications strategist for Pinnacle Financial Partners. “There’s a lot of excitement around having Jaren Jackson Jr. in Memphis, and a partnership with the Grizzlies’ newest rising star just made sense.”

Pinnacle recently filmed commercials in which Jackson receives personal financial advice from his father, former 12-year NBA player Jaren Jackson Sr., who graduated from Georgetown University with a degree in finance. The campaign is centered around seeking effective financial guidance to avoid potential pitfalls.

As part of the partnership, Pinnacle will give away basketballs signed by Jackson to any new customer who opens an account with $100 and sets up direct deposit. Customers can apply at any of the five Memphis locations or online at grizzliesbanking.com beginning Oct. 1.

The Memphis Grizzlies used its fourth overall pick in this summer's NBA draft to secure Jackson. The 6’11” rookie came to Memphis after one lone season at Michigan State. At just 19 years old, many are hoping he will help the team return to the postseason after recording just 22 wins last season.

“The Grizzlies have enjoyed helping to introduce Pinnacle Financial Partners to Memphis since their entry into the market two years ago, and we are excited to take part in their new campaign featuring our rookie Jaren Jackson Jr. and his father," said Anthony Macri, vice president of partnership marketing for the Memphis Grizzlies. "Pinnacle is a bank that prides itself on distinctive service and effective advice, and with Jaren being out on his own for the first time here in Memphis, he needed a bank he could trust to do business with. There was no better candidate than our partner Pinnacle." 

While this is a first for Pinnacle, other local companies have featured Grizzlies players in individual campaigns. Memphis International Airport struck a similar deal with Tony Allen before he left the team for New Orleans. In 2015, RedRover Sales & Marketing Strategy, the airport’s marketing firm, hired Allen as part of a three-year, $530,000 partnership with the Grizzlies. The campaign was promoted at the airport, on social media and through digital and email advertising as well as advertisements inside FedExForum.

“We couldn’t have been happier with the results of our partnership with Tony Allen,” said Glen Thomas, director of strategic marketing & communications for Memphis International Airport. “Tony really helped us to not only connect with thousands of people who may not have heard our message, but we were able to capture his vast popularity here in town.”

While the airport does not currently have a partnership with a Grizzlies player, it is open to having one again in the future. It also has ongoing partnerships with the Memphis Tigers and Memphis Redbirds.

The Grizzlies and Pinnacle originally agreed to a multiyear partnership in 2016 to create a platform of fan-centric products and experiences. The agreement includes Grizzlies Banking, a dedicated line of co-branded debit and credit cards offered by Pinnacle; naming rights to the arena’s Club Level, which is now dubbed Pinnacle Level Concourse; and presenting rights to the Grizzlies’ television broadcasts live on FOX Sports Southeast.

Tennessee-based Pinnacle Financial Partners entered the Memphis market in 2015 when it acquired Magna Bank.

TOPICS

JAREN JACKSON JR. MEMPHIS GRIZZLIESPINNACLE FINANCIAL PARTNERS
Christin Yates

Christin Yates

Christin Yates is a native Memphian who has worked in PR and copywriting for a decade. She earned her B.S. in public relations and M.S. in mass communications from Murray State University.

  •  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

OJ Mayo's first two seasons were better than Porzingis's. Did anyone other than Lil' OJ Mayo ever think he was a superstar?

Porzingis is not a superstar, but because a big media market told everyone he was, you have a guy arguing that big media markets don't matter as he calls Porzingis a superstar.

You are nuts if you think Westbrook would not make more money in endorsements playing for the Knicks or Lakers than OKC. When's the last time you have seen a Grizzly player hawking something on tv? Ever?

The Grizzlies drafted Conley as the fourth overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft. Conley switched shoe partners in 2016 trading his Adidas for Nike's Jordan brand. He also pitches for PepsiCo's Mountain Dew brand, Art of Shaving, Dr. Scholl's, Totino's and NBA 2K. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

OJ Mayo's first two seasons were better than Porzingis's. Did anyone other than Lil' OJ Mayo ever think he was a superstar?

Porzingis is not a superstar, but because a big media market told everyone he was, you have a guy arguing that big media markets don't matter as he calls Porzingis a superstar.

You are nuts if you think Westbrook would not make more money in endorsements playing for the Knicks or Lakers than OKC. When's the last time you have seen a Grizzly player hawking something on tv? Ever?

I'm not suggesting that larger market's don't play a role, but if a New York business owner had the money to pay Russ to represent his company,  location doesn't matter.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

OJ Mayo's first two seasons were better than Porzingis's. Did anyone other than Lil' OJ Mayo ever think he was a superstar?

Porzingis is not a superstar, but because a big media market told everyone he was, you have a guy arguing that big media markets don't matter as he calls Porzingis a superstar.

You are nuts if you think Westbrook would not make more money in endorsements playing for the Knicks or Lakers than OKC. When's the last time you have seen a Grizzly player hawking something on tv? Ever?

OJ Mayo peaked in high school and everybody knew it.

Come to think of it, he should have been the official spokesperson of the SAT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

The Grizzlies drafted Conley as the fourth overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft. Conley switched shoe partners in 2016 trading his Adidas for Nike's Jordan brand. He also pitches for PepsiCo's Mountain Dew brand, Art of Shaving, Dr. Scholl's, Totino's and NBA 2K. 

Hardaway Jr did the same thing after leaving Atl and signing with the Knicks, leaving Adidas and signing with Jordan. You are actually making the argument against yourself. TV spots are JJJ hawking for a bank - during Grizzlies games on sports southeast and Shane doing local tv ads about 15 years ago. Porzingis getting at least 4 national tv spots and more local in his first three years while on a losing team, missing about 20 games each of his first three seasons and not playing at all his 4th. All because he was the closest thing to a star that the Knicks had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

OJ Mayo's first two seasons were better than Porzingis's. Did anyone other than Lil' OJ Mayo ever think he was a superstar?

Porzingis is not a superstar, but because a big media market told everyone he was, you have a guy arguing that big media markets don't matter as he calls Porzingis a superstar.

You are nuts if you think Westbrook would not make more money in endorsements playing for the Knicks or Lakers than OKC. When's the last time you have seen a Grizzly player hawking something on tv? Ever?

I don't know man, Porzingis was really **** good. It wasn't all hype, by no means. The guy took new york on his back and dragged that team to victories.

And yes, the entire board thought Mayo was a star for a good 2 years or more. When he went for 40, this board lost their minds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Hardaway Jr did the same thing after leaving Atl and signing with the Knicks, leaving Adidas and signing with Jordan. You are actually making the argument against yourself. TV spots are JJJ hawking for a bank - during Grizzlies games on sports southeast and Shane doing local tv ads about 15 years ago. Porzingis getting at least 4 national tv spots and more local in his first three years while on a losing team, missing about 20 games each of his first three seasons and not playing at all his 4th. All because he was the closest thing to a star that the Knicks had.

I think you missed the point.  You asked if it was ever grizzlies hawking,  I was giving you what you asked for. I've also said several times that big markets may matter to low level stars like a Tobias Harris,  but bona-fide stars get shine regardless.  I'm not really disagreeing with you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Hardaway Jr did the same thing after leaving Atl and signing with the Knicks, leaving Adidas and signing with Jordan. You are actually making the argument against yourself. TV spots are JJJ hawking for a bank - during Grizzlies games on sports southeast and Shane doing local tv ads about 15 years ago. Porzingis getting at least 4 national tv spots and more local in his first three years while on a losing team, missing about 20 games each of his first three seasons and not playing at all his 4th. All because he was the closest thing to a star that the Knicks had.

And for the record,  I never mentioned kristis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I don't know man, Porzingis was really **** good. It wasn't all hype, by no means. The guy took new york on his back and dragged that team to victories.

And yes, the entire board thought Mayo was a star for a good 2 years or more. When he went for 40, this board lost their minds.

Porzingis took NY on his back and dragged them to victories??? The year they won 32, 31, or 29? C'mon.

Was Mayo a superstar was the question. Of course not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Porzingis took NY on his back and dragged them to victories??? The year they won 32, 31, or 29? C'mon.

Was Mayo a superstar was the question. Of course not.

In the board's mind, he was. Porzingis had no help, is why. But the guy was a one man wrecking crew for his short time in New York. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 4:34 PM, MemphisX said:

Oh, i guess we all have to ignore the Jaren and Ja love affair on social media.  Teams know how to get their message out.  

Have they refuted the report?

They haven’t said anything. Take that for what it is. They haven’t denied or agreed with the rumor as is their normal operating procedure. 

We’ll know more as we approach the draft. Nothing guaranteed of course but last year the leaks from the Grizzlies were feeling out fan’s feelings toward Jaren (not positive for the most part). If you start hearing feelers about this year's draft then you’ll get a good idea which way they are leaning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 6:43 PM, chipc3 said:

They haven’t said anything. Take that for what it is. They haven’t denied or agreed with the rumor as is their normal operating procedure. 

We’ll know more as we approach the draft. Nothing guaranteed of course but last year the leaks from the Grizzlies were feeling out fan’s feelings toward Jaren (not positive for the most part). If you start hearing feelers about this year's draft then you’ll get a good idea which way they are leaning.

 

I thought all the leaks last year were from Chandler Parsons, or was that only when it was convenient?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 11:00 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

I thought all the leaks last year were from Chandler Parsons, or was that only when it was convenient?

Perhaps Last season’s leaks are different than this summer’s leaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 6:47 PM, Back2Grizzness said:

He is also refusing every other team not named the NY Knicks

Exactly. People are overreacting. He is working out for 1 team only....would be hilarious if the Knicks traded out of the draft and he fell 2 or 3 spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Exactly. People are overreacting. He is working out for 1 team only....would be hilarious if the Knicks traded out of the draft and he fell 2 or 3 spots.

The Pelicans, Grizzlies, Knicks, Lakers, Cavs, and Suns have the top 6 picks. What could go wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now