rc0213

RJ Barrett Declining Request From Grizzlies For Private Workout

You guys are like little babies lol. Blame the front office for saying they were taking Ja #2 ten minutes after the lottery. Why would he waste his time?

4 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I really think people are overreacting to this. He and his agent more than likely think Ja is the #2 no matter what. He's already talked to the Grizz at the combine. He also didn't rule out the possibility that things could change in the next 3 weeks. I don't see the big deal and more than likely we're not drafting him anyway, just doing our due diligence. 

Agreed. 

thanks go REDSKINS

40 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

You guys are like little babies lol. Blame the front office for saying they were taking Ja #2 ten minutes after the lottery. Why would he waste his time?

I blame them. I'm with you on this. The grizzlies front office is a joke. The ink didn't dry before the grizzlies were annoucing their pick to the world.

In fact I think this is just an elaborate scheme to "cash in" on New York's desire to bring barrett to the big apple. Only in that grizzlies special way, they shot themselves in the foot before they had a chance to get something out of it. lol

1 hour ago, lions said:

a WASTED first round grizzlies draft pick by chris wallace

To be fair Kendall Marshall, Royce White, Terrance Jones, Andrew Nicholson, Jared Sullinger, Fab Melo, John Jenkins, and Jared Cunningham were all selected ahead of Wroten.  Late first round picks are a crapshoot.  Almost all of those guys are out of the league.  I think Jenkins got on someone's roster this season though.

47 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

4 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I blame them. I'm with you on this. The grizzlies front office is a joke. The ink didn't dry before the grizzlies were annoucing their pick to the world.

In fact I think this is just an elaborate scheme to "cash in" on New York's desire to bring barrett to the big apple. Only in that grizzlies special way, they shot themselves in the foot before they had a chance to get something out of it. lol

According to Chip they haven't said such a thing.

6 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

According to Chip they haven't said such a thing.

They haven't. Chip challenged me when I said that a while back and then realized in fact, the Grizz have not officially said anything. It all goes back to Jonathan Giving tweeting  right after the draft lottery and it's turned into everyone in the media accepting that he is the Grizz pick, which he may well be, but the Grizz haven't said that openly. 

19 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Or they feel they have the ability to control their future. There is nothing wrong with trying to control where you spend your life.

Lol yes there is, when you're drafted to do your job. You want to choose where you play? Choose between the Euro League, China, and Australia. If he wanted to choose his job destination, he should have stayed at Duke for 4 years graduated, and created a resume. This is just entitled bs for a young man who's been catered to his entire life because he's good at a game.

Though, I will admit that he's not 100 percent to blame. The league has been enabling this behavior for years now.

7 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Haha geez man, what are you, Russell's mother?  Simmer down buddy, I figured it didn't require explanation, but I'm not comparing Russell to Frank.  I'm just using it to illustrate my claim that living in a huge media market these days doesn't give you some sort of vast endorsement advantage any more.  Use Kristaps Porzingis for the comparison if you prefer.  Hell, use 2012 Carmelo Anthony if you prefer.  The point remains.  

Right. That's why the Grizzlies get the same press as Boston, NY and the Lakers. Ever watch Sportscenter? It's about exposure. Bigger the city, more exposure. 

Melo commercials? Do you mean the Nike, ESPN, Foot Locker, or other commercials he did? Yes, Melo did national commercials, even in 2012. Porzingis commercials? Do you mean the Body Armor, Delta Airlines, Ghostbusters reboot movie, ESPN, Adidas, or other commercials? With all that free WiFi and 4G you were talking about I'd think you'd be able to Google that stuff before making false claims. Your point is incorrect. Huge media markets still matter buddy.

27 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Right. That's why the Grizzlies get the same press as Boston, NY and the Lakers. Ever watch Sportscenter? It's about exposure. Bigger the city, more exposure. 

Melo commercials? Do you mean the Nike, ESPN, Foot Locker, or other commercials he did? Yes, Melo did national commercials, even in 2012. Porzingis commercials? Do you mean the Body Armor, Delta Airlines, Ghostbusters reboot movie, ESPN, Adidas, or other commercials? With all that free WiFi and 4G you were talking about I'd think you'd be able to Google that stuff before making false claims. Your point is incorrect. Huge media markets still matter buddy.

But Westbrook has all the endorsements and media exposure,  but in a small market. Hell LeBron was the face of the leauge in Cleveland. Superstars bring exposure,  not necessarily markets anymore.  When LBJ was in Cleveland for both stints, who was the more exposed team, NYC or Cleveland? 

As a fan who's also still bitter about Steve Douchebag Francis, I hope Barrett ends up in a draft-day trade with whatever team he really, really doesn't want to go to. Say ... Golden State, where he'll get 8 minutes a game; Houston, where he'll play but rarely get the ball; .... and yes, it might be his agent 's call but the agent should know what it means to start your career with a diva image.  Not to mention that, using the rookie pay scale unadjusted, going 3rd instead of 2nd costs you a coupla million over the first three years. 

1 hour ago, toocoolkellz said:

But Westbrook has all the endorsements and media exposure,  but in a small market. Hell LeBron was the face of the leauge in Cleveland. Superstars bring exposure,  not necessarily markets anymore.  When LBJ was in Cleveland for both stints, who was the more exposed team, NYC or Cleveland? 

Westbrook has been in the league 11 years on a good team, has been an 8x all star, 2 time all star game mvp, and league MVP. You are talking about superstars. Superstars have always brought exposure to themselves. Always. Big market areas make bigger stars out of lesser talented players. Do you honestly believe that Jeremy Lin would be as well known if he hadn't played for the Knicks? Of course not. How many times have you seen Mike Conley in an advertisement for Sports SouthEast while tens of millions throughout the Northeast have seen Porzingis on MSG commercials.

Big markets = big exposure. The bigger the audience the more advertisers pay. Players doing local commercials in NYC get more exposure and money than players doing local commercials in small market cities. If Porzingis had been drafted by the Grizzlies, how many nationally viewed commercials do you think he would have gotten? Most likely zero. He got several during his first two years with the Knicks.

Ok... that J Lin thing has me convinced... never really looked at it that way but- you do make a good point 

18 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Westbrook has been in the league 11 years on a good team, has been an 8x all star, 2 time all star game mvp, and league MVP. You are talking about superstars. Superstars have always brought exposure to themselves. Always. Big market areas make bigger stars out of lesser talented players. Do you honestly believe that Jeremy Lin would be as well known if he hadn't played for the Knicks? Of course not. How many times have you seen Mike Conley in an advertisement for Sports SouthEast while tens of millions throughout the Northeast have seen Porzingis on MSG commercials.

Big markets = big exposure. The bigger the audience the more advertisers pay. Players doing local commercials in NYC get more exposure and money than players doing local commercials in small market cities. If Porzingis had been drafted by the Grizzlies, how many nationally viewed commercials do you think he would have gotten? Most likely zero. He got several during his first two years with the Knicks.

I just said stars bring exposure,  if he's a star he should shine in any market. If he has to go to a big market to shine then that means he's not as good as he thinks he is

4 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

They haven't. Chip challenged me when I said that a while back and then realized in fact, the Grizz have not officially said anything. It all goes back to Jonathan Giving tweeting  right after the draft lottery and it's turned into everyone in the media accepting that he is the Grizz pick, which he may well be, but the Grizz haven't said that openly. 

They also didn't refute Jonathan"s tweet either. 

46 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

I just said stars bring exposure,  if he's a star he should shine in any market. If he has to go to a big market to shine then that means he's not as good as he thinks he is

But... Big stars in big markets will still make, or have the ability to make, more money from endorsements AND contract bonuses - specifically all star games that they get voted into when they are non deserving, such as injured or past their primes. And there is also the ever present ego thing. Big markets stroke big egos 100 times more than small markets.

6 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

But... Big stars in big markets will still make, or have the ability to make, more money from endorsements AND contract bonuses - specifically all star games that they get voted into when they are non deserving, such as injured or past their primes. And there is also the ever present ego thing. Big markets stroke big egos 100 times more than small markets.

I'm hoping the all star game goes away. It's the most ridiculous honor in the nba, the games are terrible and many times players are voted into the all of fame based on it.

If Kyle Lowry gets into the hall of fame, while Mike conley sits on the sidelines it will be the most ridiculous thing imaginable. The thing is conley was his own worst enemy since he never tried to put up the scoring numbers necessary to get a consideration for the hall. He'll join the likes of Derek Harper and Mark Jackson as guys that should be in the hall but don't get in.

The fact that kyle has more all star appearances than Marc Gasol or Zach Randolph is completely stupid. He was never as important as either of those guys. He wasn't even the best player on his team. That was Demar. Lol 

This huge blind leap of faith people are putting behind a now injured Ja is concerning.

I hope he's an all-star if we use a #2 pick on him but you hear thing about how he's not the best guard in the draft.

13 hours ago, MemphisX said:

I thought that Chandler Parsons was responsible for all the media leaks?

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

They also didn't refute Jonathan"s tweet either. 

Why would they? How often do teams officially announce who they will draft over a month before the draft?

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

Guys can make all-star games from any market if they're true stars.  I bet it wasn't just Cleveland voting for lbj in an all-star game.  He also got 100 mill before every stepping on a court. True stars get it done in any market

On 5/31/2019 at 9:16 AM, rc0213 said:

Should Grizzlies pick him as a lottery pick anyways, and, force him to play with us?!  LOL  Just kidding.  But, that would be karma. IMHO, I think any college player would be appreciative of ANY NBA chances, and, NOT be picky like some of these college players are with Memphis. 

RJ Barrett Declining Request From Grizzlies For Private Workout - RealGM Wiretap

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254011/RJ-Barrett-Declining-Request-From-Grizzlies-For-Private-Workout

I am glad he did decline.   I don't want him with the grizzlies as he is not a good fit.    Ja is the right guy for the grizzlies.

Once again, i think most people in this thread are over-reacting. I used to post how I think in this information/disinformation/misinformation age, we have way too much information at our fingertips and get emotionally invested in pretty routine things. There was nothing in that tweet that said he wouldn't work out for the Grizz as a matter of fact, he ends it with there's a chance he could revisit his decision. I think it's mainly because all of the media is saying we are taking Ja and not even looking at anyone else. That's not to say that Barrett wouldn't prefer NYC over Memphis (if we're all honest, the overwhelming number of humans would). I think this is just one o fthe many games that agents play and now er have everybody leaking every little thing that happens but I really don't think it's a big deal. Plus, we're more than likely not going to draft him anyway so it's really a moot point. 

22 hours ago, Father Pat said:

You're still not understanding me, but I'll go over it for you once again.  My point is that IF the big media market financial advantage even exists at all any more, that advantage is fairly minimal due mostly to the fact that essentially the media market for all players in the year 2019 is every NBA fan the world over with stable enough internet access via the Wifi and 4G you weirdly mock in order to have access to social media and youtube highlights and nba league pass and the like.  In other words, no longer does a player's popularity depend on being seen on live television broadcasts.  Of course Melo and Krisptaps had/have endorsements.  They're superstars.  The reason I brought them up is as a point of comparison to small town Russell Westbrook who himself has huge endorsements with Nike, Samsung, Subway etc. somehow even though he plays in the one of the smallest media markets in the league.  But what would drive my point home better would be a non-superstar New York Knick of your choice, which is why I brought up Frank N, but we could just as easily use Tim Hardaway Jr. or Kevin Knox or whoever you like.   One would assume that if there was a massive advantage to being in NYC that these low level star types would have a long list of endorsements too, but to my knowledge, they don't.  In my opinion Jeremy Lin is an outlier due to the fact that he was the second moderately successful player in history with heritage from a country with 1.3 billion residents. 

Oh, and the Knicks, Lakers, and Celtics are still covered on ESPN because they are three of the most storied, successful, and popular franchises in all of sports.  Now, the size of their media markets many decades ago may have contributed somewhat to their overall popularity build up over the years, but the market size today has little to do with it.  The Celtics media market these days is, for all intents and purposes, no bigger than that of the Hawks, Wizards, or Mavericks, and significantly smaller than that of the Bulls, Clippers, or Nets.  

23 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Oh, i guess we all have to ignore the Jaren and Ja love affair on social media.  Teams know how to get their message out.  

Have they refuted the report?

8 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Oh, i guess we all have to ignore the Jaren and Ja love affair on social media.  Teams know how to get their message out.  

Have they refuted the report?

I dont care if they told Ja.   Teams do it all the time.   It can be a huge positive ro go ahead and get the draftee onboard mentally.