rc0213

RJ Barrett Declining Request From Grizzlies For Private Workout

1 minute ago, toocoolkellz said:

If Davis is traded to NYC you can bet your bottom dollar his @$$ is in that Trade 

Of course he would be, but he won't be. All we can do is wait and see. My money is on Barret playing for the Knicks next season, but it doesn't really matter anyway. The point was that it's totally fine for a young person to want to choose where they want to play. That might not happen, but there is nothing wrong with someone maneuvering to do that.

Just now, srmjr23 said:

Of course he would be, but he won't be. All we can do is wait and see. My money is on Barret playing for the Knicks next season, but it doesn't really matter anyway. The point was that it's totally fine for a young person to want to choose where they want to play. That might not happen, but there is nothing wrong with someone maneuvering to do that.

As a Memphian I'm like f that dude, you don't want to play here, fine go be trash in NY 

Just now, toocoolkellz said:

As a Memphian I'm like f that dude, you don't want to play here, fine go be trash in NY 

k

What?!!  R J disrespected Grind City??  I'm posting all his weaknesses!!!

Weaknesses

Not Overly Explosive

Speaking of Barrett’s athleticism; while he might be bouncier than Russell, he’s still not an elite athlete at the swingman position. He’s not so slow that he’s a liability on defense, but he’s not a spectacular run-jump athlete like DeMar DeRozan or Andrew Wiggins.

Inconsistent Finisher at the Rim

Because Barrett doesn’t have a ton of explosion, he can struggle to finish at the rim. Through November, he was only converting on 56.2% of his shots at the rim. That’s a pretty low number for a player who has the rest of Barrett’s tools and skills. He needs to master the floater and some mid-range shots to improve his efficiency inside the three-point line.

Below-Average FT Shooter

Because of his handle and ability to change speeds off the dribble, Barrett has the potential to draw tons of fouls. The only problem–at least up to now–is that he’s a below-average free throw shooter. He’s shooting five free throws per game and only making 61 percent of them. If you look at the top 20 scorers in the NBA this season, all of them are shooting at least 70 percent from the line with the exception of one guy, and that’s the Milwaukee Bucks’ Giannis Antetokounmpo. It’s safe to say, Barrett doesn’t possess the freakish athletic and physical gifts that make Antetokounmpo a legitimate MVP candidate. To maximize his potential as a scorer, Barrett will need to improve his FT shooting.

Player Comparison: Slightly More Athletic Khris Middleton

Middleton might be one of the league’s most underrated players. This season Middleton is averaging 18.5 points, 4.5 assists and 5.5 rebounds per game. Middleton is a career 39% three-point shooter and he makes about 88 percent of his free throws. Barrett is only 19 years old, so he’s far from a finished product. With fine tuning on his shot mechanics and shot selection, I can see him becoming a similar player.

👿🤨

Just now, Grizzhype said:

What?!!  R J disrespected Grind City??  I'm posting all his weaknesses!!!

Weaknesses

Not Overly Explosive

Speaking of Barrett’s athleticism; while he might be bouncier than Russell, he’s still not an elite athlete at the swingman position. He’s not so slow that he’s a liability on defense, but he’s not a spectacular run-jump athlete like DeMar DeRozan or Andrew Wiggins.

Inconsistent Finisher at the Rim

Because Barrett doesn’t have a ton of explosion, he can struggle to finish at the rim. Through November, he was only converting on 56.2% of his shots at the rim. That’s a pretty low number for a player who has the rest of Barrett’s tools and skills. He needs to master the floater and some mid-range shots to improve his efficiency inside the three-point line.

Below-Average FT Shooter

Because of his handle and ability to change speeds off the dribble, Barrett has the potential to draw tons of fouls. The only problem–at least up to now–is that he’s a below-average free throw shooter. He’s shooting five free throws per game and only making 61 percent of them. If you look at the top 20 scorers in the NBA this season, all of them are shooting at least 70 percent from the line with the exception of one guy, and that’s the Milwaukee Bucks’ Giannis Antetokounmpo. It’s safe to say, Barrett doesn’t possess the freakish athletic and physical gifts that make Antetokounmpo a legitimate MVP candidate. To maximize his potential as a scorer, Barrett will need to improve his FT shooting.

Player Comparison: Slightly More Athletic Khris Middleton

Middleton might be one of the league’s most underrated players. This season Middleton is averaging 18.5 points, 4.5 assists and 5.5 rebounds per game. Middleton is a career 39% three-point shooter and he makes about 88 percent of his free throws. Barrett is only 19 years old, so he’s far from a finished product. With fine tuning on his shot mechanics and shot selection, I can see him becoming a similar player.

👿🤨

Sometimes I miss Tony Wroten.

8 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

k

In all seriousness though I'd much rather have ja. He is a perfect fit for us. Not that Barrett isn't good but I'd take ja 

49 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

Or they feel they have the ability to control their future. There is nothing wrong with trying to control where you spend your life.

Really?  You think that's ok?  Well then we better just fold the Memphis franchise because we're not going to be able to attract any free agents OR draft anyone.  We'll just be the cellar dwellers forever, because no one will be coming to Memphis.

Every player should just choose their team and their best buddies they want to play with, just like at the YMCA or some local gym.  We can eliminate about 20 or so teams or maybe we just move some of them to prime destinations.  Maybe 5 teams in the prime parts of California, 3 or 4 in Florida, 2 in NYC, one in CHI, one or two in Texas, one in Las Vegas and that's all.  Because we certainly don't want to force some poor kid, who is going to make more money in one season than the average joe might make in an entire lifetime, to be unhappy because he has to work some crappy job like playing basketball in a city he doesn't like.

In order to have a viable sports league there has to be some mechanism to ensure reasonable competition between teams, something to help level the playing field, to give every team a chance to get better.  The draft is just about the only mechanism in the NBA to do that for small market teams.  If we want to let draft picks decide where they want to play, it's over.  It still burns me up what Steve Francis did to this franchise.

1 hour ago, srmjr23 said:

Or they feel they have the ability to control their future. There is nothing wrong with trying to control where you spend your life.

How much of it do they even have to spend there?  With training camp, most players don't even have to report to work more than about 8 months a year.  I think pro athletes are rewarded quite handsomely to play wherever they are drafted.  If they don't like it there are other leagues, same as me, if I don't like my job I can quit and look elsewhere for a new job.  They can do the same.  They aren't owed anything more.

3 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Really?  You think that's ok?  Well then we better just fold the Memphis franchise because we're not going to be able to attract any free agents OR draft anyone.  We'll just be the cellar dwellers forever, because no one will be coming to Memphis.

Every player should just choose their team and their best buddies they want to play with, just like at the YMCA or some local gym.  We can eliminate about 20 or so teams or maybe we just move some of them to prime destinations.  Maybe 5 teams in the prime parts of California, 3 or 4 in Florida, 2 in NYC, one in CHI, one or two in Texas, one in Las Vegas and that's all.  Because we certainly don't want to force some poor kid, who is going to make more money in one season than the average joe might make in an entire lifetime, to be unhappy because he has to work some crappy job like playing basketball in a city he doesn't like.

In order to have a viable sports league there has to be some mechanism to ensure reasonable competition between teams, something to help level the playing field, to give every team a chance to get better.  The draft is just about the only mechanism in the NBA to do that for small market teams.  If we want to let draft picks decide where they want to play, it's over.  It still burns me up what Steve Francis did to this franchise.

You aren't choosing your team. There are rules. This isn't 'Nam. What you CAN do is work the system to your advantage. If you feel you can make millions more in endorsements if you play in a different city, you'd have to be pretty dumb not to try. But if you get drafted by the team, you'd better suit up and play your *** off. Work smarter, not harder. Don't be so upset if a guy doesn't want to play for your team. 

3 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

In all seriousness though I'd much rather have ja. He is a perfect fit for us. Not that Barrett isn't good but I'd take ja 

Well, I think most people want Ja. I want Ja. 

12 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

He's young and wants to play in the big city as compared to potential obscurity in the South. Not to mention he stands to make far more in endorsements in a big market than he would here. It makes plenty of sense. 

I don't think that's really an issue in 2019.  In a world with free Wi-Fi everywhere and 4G LTE, there isn't really much, if any, of an exposure gap between small markets and big markets.  It's all about winning and production.  Ask Russell Westbrook if he's having trouble getting media exposure or endorsements playing in Okla-freakin-homa.  Or better yet, ask Frank Ntilikina how he's enjoying all the national endorsements he has gotten from playing in the big apple.  Now, love Memphis as I do, I can understand a player preferring the NYC life over the Memphis life for personal reasons.  But I don't necessarily think he's going to be a richer man in the big city in this day in age.

As for him declining a workout, I think it's slightly poor form on RJ's part, but I can't say I blame him given the fact that the Grizzlies organization has all but told him, and the rest of the world, that Ja Morant is going to be our pick.

5 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I don't think that's really an issue in 2019.  In a world with free Wi-Fi everywhere and 4G LTE, there isn't really much, if any, of an exposure gap between small markets and big markets.  It's all about winning and production.  Ask Russell Westbrook if he's having trouble getting media exposure or endorsements playing in Okla-freakin-homa.  Now, love Memphis as I do, I can understand a player preferring the NYC life over the Memphis life for personal reasons.  But I don't necessarily think he's going to be a richer man in the big city in this day in age.

Ok, this may all be true. I don't have any data to back up the claim that players make more money in endorsements in larger markets. I am honestly going off conventional wisdom that that is the case, but maybe it isn't true any longer. I'll concede the point, but my original point remains the same. Of course a young kid would want to play in NYC over Memphis, regardless of the money. And I don't think people should criticize these young kids for making these decisions. They're not saying "If you draft me, I'm not playing for you." They're declining a workout, saying - I'd prefer to play in NYC. This makes perfect sense to me.

This is the easiest draft in Grizzlies history.. and the only thing that can mess it up is overthinking it.  It's a slam dunk easy decision.  Even if the Pelicans choose Ja Morant, it's still an easy decision.  And it doesn't involve this guy.

I've seen some funny blog posts from other teams, especially the Pelicans dreaming of being able to trade AD.. and do a 3 team trade involving Memphis and getting back Zion AND Ja.  Dream on Pelicans.

If someone calls for a trade offer for the pick.. just say no Memphis.  Just say no.

3 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Ok, this may all be true. I don't have any data to back up the claim that players make more money in endorsements in larger markets. I am honestly going off conventional wisdom that that is the case, but maybe it isn't true any longer. I'll concede the point, but my original point remains the same. Of course a young kid would want to play in NYC over Memphis, regardless of the money. And I don't think people should criticize these young kids for making these decisions. They're not saying "If you draft me, I'm not playing for you." They're declining a workout, saying - I'd prefer to play in NYC. This makes perfect sense to me.

I really don't blame the kid,  it's just astounding that in back to back years players have not wanted to workout for us.  Hell even Jaren,  who if I'm not mistaken did come in at the last minute and do a private workout,  refused initially to workout for us.  I clearly remember Mo refusing a workout and my dumb self preferring him over Jaren.  I have to give @KevinBMoses his props,  he said that Jaren was good and so far he's right. Ja is a match made in heaven if becomes a star

4 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I don't think that's really an issue in 2019.  In a world with free Wi-Fi everywhere and 4G LTE, there isn't really much, if any, of an exposure gap between small markets and big markets.  It's all about winning and production.  Ask Russell Westbrook if he's having trouble getting media exposure or endorsements playing in Okla-freakin-homa.  Or better yet, ask Frank Ntilikina how he's enjoying all the national endorsements he has gotten from playing in the big apple.  Now, love Memphis as I do, I can understand a player preferring the NYC life over the Memphis life for personal reasons.  But I don't necessarily think he's going to be a richer man in the big city in this day in age.

As for him declining a workout, I think it's slightly poor form on RJ's part, but I can't say I blame him given the fact that the Grizzlies organization has all but told him, and the rest of the world, that Ja Morant is going to be our pick.

This is just nuts. Comparing Frank Ntilikina to Westbrook??? No screaming eagle crap a 2nd year player with only 25 career starts who pretty much sucks isn't going to get endorsement deals like Westbrook no matter where he plays. The NBA's bread and butter is tv deals, which, by the way, have commercials - even in this day and age. Golly gee, free wi-fi everywhere and 4g, why bother selling tickets to games? Grizzlies don't need 20 million plus concessions anyway, right? 

Frank Ntil however the heck his name is spelled. Just nuts.

19 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

F   him

We ain't picking him anyway

WOW words from big hunk a LOVE

Edited by lions

RJ is NOT doing this, his AGENT is the one who is telling him not to show up. if he SUCKS during his work-out or gets HURT ,he may not get pick at 3  and that means DOLLARS  signs, its not a GRIZZLIES thing, its a MONEY thing

14 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Sometimes I miss Tony Wroten.

what happen to Tony Wroten  ,

Tony Wroten is how playing with Katev   Latvian-Estonian     Basketball League       Great Job CHRIS WALLACE 

a WASTED first round grizzlies draft pick by chris wallace

I really think people are overreacting to this. He and his agent more than likely think Ja is the #2 no matter what. He's already talked to the Grizz at the combine. He also didn't rule out the possibility that things could change in the next 3 weeks. I don't see the big deal and more than likely we're not drafting him anyway, just doing our due diligence. 

14 minutes ago, lions said:

RJ is NOT doing this, his AGENT is the one who is telling him not to show up. if he SUCKS during his work-out or gets HURT ,he may not get pick at 3  and that means DOLLARS  signs, its not a GRIZZLIES thing, its a MONEY thing

Agreed. 

6 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

You aren't choosing your team. There are rules. This isn't 'Nam. What you CAN do is work the system to your advantage. If you feel you can make millions more in endorsements if you play in a different city, you'd have to be pretty dumb not to try. But if you get drafted by the team, you'd better suit up and play your *** off. Work smarter, not harder. Don't be so upset if a guy doesn't want to play for your team. 

I'm not that upset.  He didn't disrespect the city of Memphis to my knowledge.  It was a late night rant.  I still hope our defenders stick it to him good.

6 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

That's fair!  

2 hours ago, Father Pat said:

This is just nuts. Comparing Frank Ntilikina to Westbrook??? No screaming eagle crap a 2nd year player with only 25 career starts who pretty much sucks isn't going to get endorsement deals like Westbrook no matter where he plays. The NBA's bread and butter is tv deals, which, by the way, have commercials - even in this day and age. Golly gee, free wi-fi everywhere and 4g, why bother selling tickets to games? Grizzlies don't need 20 million plus concessions anyway, right? 

Frank Ntil however the heck his name is spelled. Just nuts.

Haha geez man, what are you, Russell's mother?  Simmer down buddy, I figured it didn't require explanation, but I'm not comparing Russell to Frank.  I'm just using it to illustrate my claim that living in a huge media market these days doesn't give you some sort of vast endorsement advantage any more.  Use Kristaps Porzingis for the comparison if you prefer.  Hell, use 2012 Carmelo Anthony if you prefer.  The point remains.