I have an idea for a bold move the Grizzly should make this off season.  Haven't posted on this board in a long time but figured I'd come back to hear people's opinions on this.  

We should sign DeMarcus Cousins this off-season.  He's a big time talent we could actually sign.  For less than the max.  Much less. Other teams aren't going to take the chance on signing him to a long deal.  He is a perfect pairing with JJJ.  They could easily play together of each other.   We saw how a low post scorer rebounder worked out last year in Jonas V.  Boogie, when healthy, is a much better version.  

If we strike out, what do we have to lose?  It's not like this team is anywhere close to completing for a championship in the next four years.  And if Boogie returns to form we speed up our timeline by a lot.

Other teams WILL take a chance at signing him for a hefty amount. Especially teams like Lakers/Knicks, once they strike out/underperform with top-tier free agents. There aren't enough of them to go around for everyone, and they are pressured to compete - someone will be desperate enough to throw a big contract at Boogie.

Also, he probably won't be willing to go to a smaller market/non-playoff team, in addition, he doesn't sound like the best locker room influence either.

I could see him going to Dallas, that would be a great fit. I don't think he gets paid a lot though.  We'll see.  

Harrell is obvious but under contract for one more season.  He's the type of player everyone is going to go after and therefore impossible for the Grizz to get.

For the guys who think JV is better, well, I love your support for Grizz guys, but I think you might be suffering from Grizz fan own player overvaluation syndrome.

count me in as a big no.

even if money somehow worked out- very long stretch- i would not want him anywhere near jjj and #2. 

also, as great as he is, he has had major health issues, plays a style that eliminates him from probably 30% of play these days, and he has major anger issues on the court.

slim. 

5 hours ago, memphis slim said:

count me in as a big no.

even if money somehow worked out- very long stretch- i would not want him anywhere near jjj and #2. 

also, as great as he is, he has had major health issues, plays a style that eliminates him from probably 30% of play these days, and he has major anger issues on the court.

slim. 

This.

I would welcome Zbo  back for a vet min contract let jjj learn from one of the BEST 

9 hours ago, Ethan7 said:

No to Boogie. If we're looking for a ZBOish player I want Harrell.

He's basically untouchable. Especially given that the Clips are looking to be very competitive next year and have a legit shot at signing Leonard.

I would love yo buy a NEW number 50 Memphis grizzlies 

4 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

He's basically untouchable. Especially given that the Clips are looking to be very competitive next year and have a legit shot at signing Leonard.

its HARD  to believe the RAPTORS may win the whole thing and still lose LEONARD

27 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

And only one year left on his contract at $6m - basically impossible to trade him and get equal value.

23 hours ago, kevofrommempho said:

I have an idea for a bold move the Grizzly should make this off season.  Haven't posted on this board in a long time but figured I'd come back to hear people's opinions on this.  

We should sign DeMarcus Cousins this off-season.  He's a big time talent we could actually sign.  For less than the max.  Much less. Other teams aren't going to take the chance on signing him to a long deal.  He is a perfect pairing with JJJ.  They could easily play together of each other.   We saw how a low post scorer rebounder worked out last year in Jonas V.  Boogie, when healthy, is a much better version.  

If we strike out, what do we have to lose?  It's not like this team is anywhere close to completing for a championship in the next four years.  And if Boogie returns to form we speed up our timeline by a lot.

I agree with you. Bold move.  Perfect fit with JJJ.

I would go for Cousins for a year.  The reason is our team has a lot of young players who need to learn from an experienced player.  And, since Mike is the only real vet, and, he's being traded, we need someone to step in.

1 hour ago, rc0213 said:

I would go for Cousins for a year.  The reason is our team has a lot of young players who need to learn from an experienced player.  And, since Mike is the only real vet, and, he's being traded, we need someone to step in.

Why not keep JV instead? He has more experience both in playoffs and in international basketball. And he's definitely cheaper than Boogie will be. We're not getting Cousins at a discount deal. He'll only agree to that with title contenders.

I am keeping JV. No brainer. The Brave New NBA is a meat grinder for big men.  Might as well bring out the big guns -- Jaren AND JV PLUS an upgrade over Rabb.

1 minute ago, ALT GRIND said:

I am keeping JV. No brainer. The Brave New NBA is a meat grinder for big men.  Might as well bring out the big guns -- Jaren AND JV PLUS an upgrade over Rabb.

If that’s the case(it’s not) then JJJ is useless down low. 

5 minutes ago, evilution said:

Why not keep JV instead? He has more experience both in playoffs and in international basketball. And he's definitely cheaper than Boogie will be. We're not getting Cousins at a discount deal. He'll only agree to that with title contenders.

JV did well, and, I like him, but it is just one year.  And, he doesn't seem to be a leader.  Grizzlies definitely needs a vet leader at this point.

Boogie Cuz looked 2 steps slow last night.

I vote for JV with Noah as a backup.  Before last night I may have been for a Boogie Cuz pickup but not now.

Cousins verbally chose Memphis before Calipari left for Kentucky, and I could see the appeal to him since he's from Mobile Alabama.

I also think he's a decent basketball fit with JJJ and I would happily pay him Parsons money instead of giving it to CP, if that were possible.

But the correct answer is No.

The cap space isn't there. His health isn't there. The needs are greater elsewhere for the Grizzlies, and the salary options are going to be better for someone else.

Not sure how to feel about him anymore. He didnt look that good tbh..But it was his first basketball in a while. I can see someone giving him a one year prove it deal.

On 5/29/2019 at 8:32 PM, Ethan7 said:

No to Boogie. If we're looking for a ZBOish player I want Harrell.

Same.  It's highly unlikely they'd let him go.  But I agree with everyone about Cousins, and to be honest.. I've never liked him.  Years ago people would say that he's better than Marc.. but regardless of his numbers.. there's more to being a player than just being 20/10.  His numbers are good but there's something wrong with him (mentally).

It's just a big risk, he's not the right kind of player chemistry wise..

JV is already a really good replacement for Marc.  JV still has time to develop as well.  And he compliments JJJ well, in that his rebounding is strong.  And he has an iron will and tries hard.. every night.  He isn't afraid of contact down low, and he has potential to improve his 3 point shot the same way Marc did.

So to choose someone else.. there's needs to be big upsides, and Cousins isn't enough upside IMO.