Ole Dirty Klondike

Is Ja Morant Worthy of a #2 pick?

9 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

If the Knicks move up to two, I'd gladly take Dennis Smith Jr and RJ Barrett. 

Dennis Smith, Jr.  SUCKS. Why is this board so obsessed with that guy/ They couldn't wait to get rid of him here in Dallas after a year and a half. He's a good dunker. That's about it. He can't shoot, court vision probably about average, yeah he gets assists but his court vision could be much better.  He's shot around 40% from the field, around 30% from 3 and mid-60% from the FT strike . He makes bad decisions, frequently plays out of control and people constantly questioned his BBIQ here in Dallas. What about that makes people want him in Memphis?

He'd probably best be suited as a scorer off of teh bench on a good team. I don't see him leading a good team anytime soon. 

10 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Dennis Smith, Jr.  SUCKS. Why is this board so obsessed with that guy/ They couldn't wait to get rid of him here in Dallas after a year and a half. He's a good dunker. That's about it. He can't shoot, court vision probably about average, yeah he gets assists but his court vision could be much better.  He's shot around 40% from the field, around 30% from 3 and mid-60% from the FT strike . He makes bad decisions, frequently plays out of control and people constantly questioned his BBIQ here in Dallas. What about that makes people want him in Memphis?

He'd probably best be suited as a scorer off of teh bench on a good team. I don't see him leading a good team anytime soon. 

He's young, vision can improve, decision making certainly will. Shooting form is decent, so that should improve as well over time with good coaching. You can't teach his athleticism. I think he's going to be the next Eric Bledsoe. I'm not sure he's going to be a star by any means, but he should be a good role player by all means. Plus you would still get RJ Barrett. I'm sure we'd try to get Dotson or a 2nd as well or something like that. 

2 hours ago, MemphisX said:

I have Garland rated higher but we will see.

Wow, I personally just gave up singing his praises, because it looks like a mortal lock the grizzlies are going to take Ja.

But like I said, my board hasn't changed much:

1. Zion

2. Hunter

3/4/5. Garland or Alex-Walker or Cam Reddish

6. Bruno Fernando.

Well that's my board. I don't put Ja or Barrett in there, because while they probably have the talent, I think they could hurt our team more, meaning I'd rather have any of these guys before Barrett and Ja.

13 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Wow, I personally just gave up singing his praises, because it looks like a mortal lock the grizzlies are going to take Ja.

1. Zion

2. Hunter

6. Bruno Fernando.

Well that's my board. I don't put Ja or Barrett in there, because while they probably have the talent, I think they could hurt our team more, meaning I'd rather have any of these guys before Barrett and Ja.

What makes you put Garland that high when he played just as trash competition with Vandy in the limited amount of games he did play?

Thats also a stupid argument. What would hurt our team with Ja being a perfect compliment to JjJ?

7 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

1. Zion

2. Hunter

6. Bruno Fernando.

Ja/Conley might be too small but Ja/Delon would be nice.  Probably an ideal backcourt mate for Morant at least to start his career. Delon has size, length and can defend.  Just put extra shooters in your rotation.  If that was the back court then maybe you play smaller on the wing with Holiday as the 3/D small forward, then Jaren at the 4 and Jonas at the 5.  Kyle/Dillon/Bruno off the bench.  

In this draft Zion has the most trade value, Ja is the guy to go with either at 2 or for the team at 1 to trade down for.  If I were at 3 or 4 I would try to trade down with the Hawks to 8/10.  

If I had a pick in the 3-6 range and didn't trade it I would go for Garland or Hunter. Maybe Coby White. 

I am not sure there is a surefire MVP type player in this draft although some guys have All Star potential.  

Other than that I am looking at Sekou scouting reports, highlights, and things like that -- especially if I was the Knicks or Lakers and wanted to trade down.  

Garland is going to disappoint alot of people I have no idea why he is rated so high. 

On 5/29/2019 at 4:35 AM, Kevin B Moses said:

It will be less of a window with Marant alone. Ja will take at least 5 years to get to the playoffs, another 2 years to be competitive and then he will bolt the grizzlies after his 7th season.

You don't naively think that Ja is going to stay with the grizzlies after his 7th season do you, if he becomes this supertart you seem to think he will be.

And for that matter, the grizzlies won't have one shot at a championship, because Jaren is going to leave a year before Ja's 7th year. The grizzlies might not even make the playoffs at all, especially if they gut the team like yall want them to do.

Welp that settles it. Thanks for ruining the suspense Nostradumbass

10 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

What makes you put Garland that high when he played just as trash competition with Vandy in the limited amount of games he did play?

Thats also a stupid argument. What would hurt our team with Ja being a perfect compliment to JjJ?

Why would you take that post seriously at all? The dude has zero clue 

1 hour ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Why would you take that post seriously at all? The dude has zero clue 

Garland outscored Porter at USC head to head.   He also scored 33 vs Liberty who went a couple of rounds in the big dance including a win over a 5 seed.  

If Garland can't make shots I don't see him doing much in the league he's not going to be able to score at the rim at all.

I've got Ja Morant hanging on to number 1 (barely?).

Who wants 2?

Ja is the only guy in the top 3 who I think has an ACTUAL value higher than a trade value.  

If I were at 4 I think I would go with Hunter if I couldn't trade down a few picks.

This is a draft where you wanna be at 1 or 2 OR trade down to get some of those Combine Warriors.

Kinda reminds me of a fantasy football draft.  Your draft strategy is ONE HUNDRED PERCENT DEPENDENT on what pick you have AND what players go ahead of your pick.  

I would try to load up on mid first to mid second round picks.

Even with Ja at 2, I would try to buy some 2nd rounders to go after some high-level utility player types.  

5 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Garland is going to disappoint alot of people I have no idea why he is rated so high. 

Yeah, he hasn't shown anything really. He's just as likely to be Wade Baldwin as a superstar IMO.

15 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Because this board's basketball IQ is super low. I don't know if you've noticed. They love guys who can make highlight plays but can't actually improve a team. Hence wanting players like DSJ

1 minute ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Yeah, he hasn't shown anything really. He's just as likely to be Wade Baldwin as a superstar IMO.

He's just going to be a scorer that happens to play pg. He's getting over hyped cause he's the mystery guy with upside. I can see him jacking alot of long range three in summer league but I don't see dynamic pg anywhere in his immediate future. 

3 minutes ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

Because this board's basketball IQ is super low. I don't know if you've noticed. They love guys who can make highlight plays but can't actually improve a team. Hence wanting players like DSJ

Yea don't lump the entire board in with a few wild cards there aren't that many people clamoring over DSJ. 

12 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Yea don't lump the entire board in with a few wild cards there aren't that many people clamoring over DSJ. 

It doesn't take that many IQs of  0 to drag the average down.

26 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

He's just going to be a scorer that happens to play pg. He's getting over hyped cause he's the mystery guy with upside. I can see him jacking alot of long range three in summer league but I don't see dynamic pg anywhere in his immediate future. 

In the new NBA I can see why folks love his potential. Looks like a great off dribble shooter.

12 minutes ago, Dwash said:

In the new NBA I can see why folks love his potential. Looks like a great off dribble shooter.

Garland has upside.  Good dribble too.  Decent passing.  I like him and Ja as the best two guards at the top of the draft board.  Ja has more "upside" in certain things while Garland might have a higher "floor" as a shooter.  

I don't have ESPN insider but apparently Givony, the guy who originally reported we were locked in on Ja, is now saying we've softened on him. Could mean anything, of course.

1 hour ago, srmjr23 said:

I don't have ESPN insider but apparently Givony, the guy who originally reported we were locked in on Ja, is now saying we've softened on him. Could mean anything, of course.

Softened on him to do what exactly Unless it's trade down I hope they aren't thinking about RJ. I really think they should draft a pg I don't like the idea of Garland cause I see him as a lesser when compared to Ja cause Ja does everything else better on offense aside from shoot. 

Garland reminds me of a smaller DeAngelo Russell. He should be able to score but I just don't see him making his teammates better. 

Ja has to be the pick it just makes too much sense.

Anyone have Insider and wanna post the article here? 

Or maybe the title is pretty much the whole thing, because I don't know what else it would say other than there are other players we're excited about. 

I think this may be a silly way to try to "increase" Conley's value, which is a bit embarrassing if that's what they're trying to do. Regardless of the pick, we should not hesitate to hold Conley until the deadline if we don't get a good deal on draft night or during free agency. 

1 hour ago, Ndq0327 said:

Softened on him to do what exactly Unless it's trade down I hope they aren't thinking about RJ. I really think they should draft a pg I don't like the idea of Garland cause I see him as a lesser when compared to Ja cause Ja does everything else better on offense aside from shoot. 

Garland reminds me of a smaller DeAngelo Russell. He should be able to score but I just don't see him making his teammates better. 

Ja has to be the pick it just makes too much sense.

I'm all on board the Ja train but Garland is going to be an exceptional pro if he stays healthy imo. Lethal shooter with mad range, a great handle and good enough court vision.

1 hour ago, CoolHandGriz said:

I'm all on board the Ja train but Garland is going to be an exceptional pro if he stays healthy imo. Lethal shooter with mad range, a great handle and good enough court vision.

He's 6'2 and not very athletic so if all he can do is shoot and dribble I don't see great pro there.

2 hours ago, Zappastache said:

Anyone have Insider and wanna post the article here? 

Or maybe the title is pretty much the whole thing, because I don't know what else it would say other than there are other players we're excited about. 

I think this may be a silly way to try to "increase" Conley's value, which is a bit embarrassing if that's what they're trying to do. Regardless of the pick, we should not hesitate to hold Conley until the deadline if we don't get a good deal on draft night or during free agency. 

I can’t quote it but the article basically says that the Grizzlies “May be cooling” on Ja because they have attempted to bring in Barrett for workouts. Basically it sounds like they are trying to create a story that doesn’t exist.