Ole Dirty Klondike

Is Ja Morant Worthy of a #2 pick?

3 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Ja isn't Cameron Payne. Get real. I think Ja will be a very good player in this league in time.   

I know that everything is up in the air until the players hit the floor but do you think Ja and Jaren are a great fit?  

I am trying to think of what type of third option they would need.  Probably a long shooter who can score and space the floor.  Either at the 2 or the 3 but probably the 2 (you might get some extra ball handling and passing).  

I would still like a freakish rim runner/rim protector either to play with Jaren or to have as a backup.  

I think this is the draft/off season to basically complete the young core.  We might not even have a pick next year.  

If we keep Conley to go with Ja, hopefully Conley can play off the ball a lot more. Two of the three best shooting years he had from 3 were years he had over 90% of his 3s assisted. His best year though was when we had only 54% of his 3s assisted. I hope we could find a happy medium with Ja helping the pave the way. If his assisted 3s were in the 70s I think he could be a lethal force from behind the arc. 

30 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

I know that everything is up in the air until the players hit the floor but do you think Ja and Jaren are a great fit?  

I am trying to think of what type of third option they would need.  Probably a long shooter who can score and space the floor.  Either at the 2 or the 3 but probably the 2 (you might get some extra ball handling and passing).  

I would still like a freakish rim runner/rim protector either to play with Jaren or to have as a backup.  

I think this is the draft/off season to basically complete the young core.  We might not even have a pick next year.  

Of course they are a great fit. The thing is though, superstars are usually forwards or centers. There have been very few point guards that have been good enough to lead a team to the title.

AI was the exception. He and Isiah Thomas and Magic (though magic was a point-forward). Stockton and Malone did it, but Jaren isn't malone and Ja isn't Stockton. 

My only issue is to not let everybody go just because you think all you need is Ja and Jaren. You need a lot more. I would probably rather have Ja than Barrett though, honestly. He is a dynamic player. 

12 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

You seemed very high on Ja a few days ago.  I know you prefaced your post with the devil's advocate bit, but now you seem to be genuinely questioning the wisdom of taking Ja at 2.

11 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

I was thinking the same thing ... I thought you were all in on Ja .

Looking back at the OP though - you did say take a closer look ... 

so now - with all of the replies in this topic -> what do you think?

IF you were in the big chair -> who's your pick?

I think there is a 'I'm shooting my shot at a potential superstar ' 

and a 'Make the safe choice and just don't completely blow this' pick.

I'm taking my shot - Ja Morant to the front of the congregation - Welcome to Memphis

I was replying to the young lad's post saying that RJ was the #1 in his hs class and had fallen and "beta'd at Duke". I was just pointing out that RJ was still the leading scorer at Duke (not Zion) and that Zion was the only person in RJ's class that is projected to be drafted higher than RJ mainly due to his freakish athleticism for his weight. Ja was in the class before them so it's not like RJ fell several spots or something.

I think Barrett will be way more than a solid player despite the comments on this board and the fact that he went to Duke and the fact that he came up in the Canadian system. He may be Rudy like and give us 20 ppg but we haven't had a swingman do that since Rudy left so  i would help. At this point last year, I was hoping that we get #1 to get Barret but obviously things have slightly changed with Ja jumpin up this past season. If Barrett goes in there and kills the workout and Ja is so so, we have to seriously consider it imo. I mean, Ja would fill an immediate need as far as having someone to hand the mantle over to after we trade Conley so it still makes the most sense to draft Ja. I fully believe that's what they will do. I had heard they wanted to get the Vandy kid somehow before we got the #2 pick so I think they are focused on getting a PG for the future in this draft and Ja is clearly the most exciting one with the most name recognition. I do have serious concerns about the competition he played against though. . 

1 hour ago, TimBC said:

As a Canadian I should back Barrett, but the more I read the more he sounds like Carmelo Anthony: good numbers on a team that doesn't win. 

And the Ja clips tell me "I wanna watch this guy play."

Fair enough. Not trying to beat up on the Canucks but you guys haven't had a great track record recently. Andrew Wiggins hasn't lived up to expectations. I won't even mention Anthony Bennett. Shai Gilgeous Alexander had an ok rookie season. I'm just not overly confident in the Canadian hs product at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Ja isn't Cameron Payne. Get real. I think Ja will be a very good player in this league in time.   

Of course he's not, just pointing out the similarities which are kind of evident. 

51 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

If we keep Conley to go with Ja, hopefully Conley can play off the ball a lot more. Two of the three best shooting years he had from 3 were years he had over 90% of his 3s assisted. His best year though was when we had only 54% of his 3s assisted. I hope we could find a happy medium with Ja helping the pave the way. If his assisted 3s were in the 70s I think he could be a lethal force from behind the arc. 

45 minutes ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

I hope Mike stay. plus Ja and JJJ will make a great combo.

There's absolutely no reason to keep Mike if we draft Ja. Move on and give the young guy complete control. Why do people want Conley to be a mentor for $32 mil next year? Seems like we could find one much cheaper than that and get value in return by trading Conley. 

If it was my decision, I would go with R.J. without hesitation.  

Ja is a boom or bust selection in my view ... why take the risk at #2?  Didn't we learn anything from our other #2 selections?

2 hours ago, pjs said:

If it was my decision, I would go with R.J. without hesitation.  

Ja is a boom or bust selection in my view ... why take the risk at #2?  Didn't we learn anything from our other #2 selections?

How is he boom or bust? His floor is probably Rondo

7 hours ago, FrenchGrizzlies said:

I hope Mike stay. plus Ja and JJJ will make a great combo.

very easy , if the grizzlies want to win NOW they pick R,J  and keep conley . if the grizzlies pick ja it will be a 3 year window 

23 minutes ago, lions said:

very easy , if the grizzlies want to win NOW they pick R,J  and keep conley . if the grizzlies pick ja it will be a 3 year window 

RJ has more holes in his game 

5 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Fair enough. Not trying to beat up on the Canucks but you guys haven't had a great track record recently. Andrew Wiggins hasn't lived up to expectations. I won't even mention Anthony Bennett. Shai Gilgeous Alexander had an ok rookie season. I'm just not overly confident in the Canadian hs product at the moment. 

Of course he's not, just pointing out the similarities which are kind of evident. 

Cam Payne was drafted 14th overall. About the only similarities is that he went to Murray State.

2 hours ago, lions said:

It will be less of a window with Marant alone. Ja will take at least 5 years to get to the playoffs, another 2 years to be competitive and then he will bolt the grizzlies after his 7th season.

You don't naively think that Ja is going to stay with the grizzlies after his 7th season do you, if he becomes this supertart you seem to think he will be.

And for that matter, the grizzlies won't have one shot at a championship, because Jaren is going to leave a year before Ja's 7th year. The grizzlies might not even make the playoffs at all, especially if they gut the team like yall want them to do.

44 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

It will be less of a window with Marant alone. Ja will take at least 5 years to get to the playoffs, another 2 years to be competitive and then he will bolt the grizzlies after his 7th season.

You don't naively think that Ja is going to stay with the grizzlies after his 7th season do you, if he becomes this supertart you seem to think he will be.

And for that matter, the grizzlies won't have one shot at a championship, because Jaren is going to leave a year before Ja's 7th year. The grizzlies might not even make the playoffs at all, especially if they gut the team like yall want them to do.

If we can’t build through the draft What do you want the Grizzlies to do? And other than Ja and Jaren getting rid of anyone else on the team wouldn’t be considered gutting the team. You want to gut a 30 win team 

8 minutes ago, Allen said:

If we can’t build through the draft What do you want the Grizzlies to do? And other than Ja and Jaren getting rid of anyone else on the team wouldn’t be considered gutting the team. You want to gut a 30 win team 

Why don't we just fold and quit the league?  Nothing ever works for us, wah wah wah!

5 minutes ago, Allen said:

I'm just trying to set up real expectations. And I never said that the grizzlies shouldn't build through the draft. I said that they shouldn't gut the team in the process.

9 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I'm just trying to set up real expectations. And I never said that the grizzlies shouldn't build through the draft. I said that they shouldn't gut the team in the process.

What would be considered gutting the team? Ja and Jaren is all we got that’s worth a **** other than Conley who wants out

Just now, Allen said:

What would be considered gutting the team? Ja and Jaren is all we got that’s worth a **** other than Conley who wants out

I think Jonas is worth a ****. And since you keep making the overreaching statement that Mike wants out, which he actually said that he doesn't want to go through a rebuild, and he has said that memphis is home, let me add this: Jaren said on many occasions that he can't wait to play with Jonas, and Jonas has said that he wants to know who the coach will be.

Jaren wants to play with Jonas, period. So let's not give our star what he wants, then, right?

17 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I think Jonas is worth a ****. And since you keep making the overreaching statement that Mike wants out, which he actually said that he doesn't want to go through a rebuild, and he has said that memphis is home, let me add this: Jaren said on many occasions that he can't wait to play with Jonas, and Jonas has said that he wants to know who the coach will be.

Jaren wants to play with Jonas, period. So let's not give our star what he wants, then, right?

He also said he was tired of 'just making noise' so unless he thinks that him, Ja, JJJ and Jonas is getting him to the finals then he wants out.

having JJJ and #2 pick play on bad rebuilding team wont do much for organization or them compared to staying competitive and getting playoff experience

I don't have patience for  3 more years of rebuild, we've been tanking for two years now 

time to get back to playoff basketball- keep Mike, resign JV

I wouldn't be against trading down if we get value

23 minutes ago, guillermo said:

having JJJ and #2 pick play on bad rebuilding team wont do much for organization or them compared to staying competitive and getting playoff experience

I don't have patience for  3 more years of rebuild, we've been tanking for two years now 

time to get back to playoff basketball- keep Mike, resign JV

I wouldn't be against trading down if we get value

Still won't make the playoffs JJJ is not ready. 

Mike and JV are both leaving!and even if they stay it won't be enough to make it.

We also have awful cap issues (Parsons)so we can't make moves.

Patience is the ONLY choice.

Ja and Jaren are our foundation. Clear cap and build around these two

3 hours ago, Allen said:

We've already gutted the team.  Conley, Parsons, JJJ, Anderson, Brooks, and Rabb are the only players left from the start of last season.  Three fifths of the roster is gone.  Gutting your roster does not mean getting rid of everyone.  No team does that.  Parsons is expiring next season, so are Rabb and Brooks, I think.  We're just waiting for CP to go, the latter two are very cheap for their production.

I won't be upset if Conley is on the roster at the start of the season.  I will be upset if he's playing 30+ minutes and Ja is only getting 12-15, but I don't see that happening.  If they trade MC and all we get is a bad contract, a mediocre prospect, and a pick that is likely to be another mediocre prospect or journeyman for the franchise's all time leading scorer coming off his best season I will be upset.  Better to be patient.

If you like watching highlight videos ... take Ja.

If you like watching games and building a playoff team ... take RJ, keep Conley, stay patient with Delon & Jevon, pay V what he deserves, get Kyle & Dillon healthy, and stay the course.