Ole Dirty Klondike

Is Ja Morant Worthy of a #2 pick?

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I said this the night of the lottery and I am still saying it...The Grizzlies should be offering the #2 pick to the Knicks for a future first and their 3rd pick. Memphis could still end up with Ja or they get RJ and a first. If they get RJ think of the team Memphis could put on the court (in no particular order):

PG: Conley, Wright, Carter
SG: Brooks, RJ, CJ 
SF: Anderson, Bruno Caboclo
PF: JJJ, Rabb, Watanabe
C : Jonas, Zeller

plus at least one more first round pick to make up for the one we owe Boston. 

The team could run a lot of time with JJJ at center and Rabb/Caboclo at PF with Wright, RJ and Bruno too. They'd have depth and could really scare teams with different matchups. 

Hahaha....perfect Memphis move. Trade straight electric entertainment on the court for a player that was more highly ranked coming out of high school, but beta'd when it came to being THE MAN at Duke. Oh, and that future Knicks first would be moronic considering that it *appears* that they're front runners for Kyrie and KD this offseason. But, assuming that they were to be terrible again next year, I'd expect the pick to be traded for the modern version of Otis Thorpe.

31 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Upside is always nice to talk about but what is the floor for these two? 

RJ is good.  But, probably either needs to be the first option, or a guy who needs the ball in his hands as much as possible.  I think RJ will be good just throwing alley-oops to Mitchell Robinson.  Knicks should give RJ the ball in summer league.  I actually like Ja Morant (or Darius Garland) off the ball more than RJ Barrett.  Although I expect the Knicks to go FULL KNICKS and put a guy who can't shoot at the shooting guard spot.  

Zion probably hits his baseline and close to his ceiling or whatever, but Air Titanic DOES have some bust potential (even if very small).

Put shooters/athletic, dunking bigs around Ja Morant.  So, a guy like Ja might be easier to build around -- there are lots of utility bigs out there, and even one dimensional utility 3 point bombers.  

3 hours ago, TonyMassenturd said:

Hahaha....perfect Memphis move. Trade straight electric entertainment on the court for a player that was more highly ranked coming out of high school, but beta'd when it came to being THE MAN at Duke. Oh, and that future Knicks first would be moronic considering that it *appears* that they're front runners for Kyrie and KD this offseason. But, assuming that they were to be terrible again next year, I'd expect the pick to be traded for the modern version of Otis Thorpe.

He led Duke and the ACC in scoring. and he's widely regarded as the #3 pick. it's not like he slid from 1 to 15 or 18 or something. Zion and Ja played their way into the #1 and #2 spots. I think RJ had a tremendous amount of scrutiny and he was judged differently than those 2 guys because he was the #1 consensus player. And btw, Ja isn't even in the same class as RJ and Zion so in effect, Zion is really the only person who jumped RJ It's not like they have him behind Tacko Fall or something. 

If he has an impressive workout, the Grizz need to seriously consider him. 

20 minutes ago, Once_a_hater said:

I more scaried to pass on Garland than RJ

16 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Tough. 

Culver too, I almost forgot. For me he will be better than RJ.

4 hours ago, Allen said:

Ja

Barrett reminds me of Evan Turner

People are losing their minds over barret's PPG. What is going to be easier for him to do at the next level? He's not going to be able to push around SFs and PFs like in college. He shot 30% from 3. He won't be as good finishing at the rim. He shoots 67% from the FT line.

Just curious, cause I really cant debate something as obvious as picking Ja Morant for that long, but why do you all think he is the consensus #2 pick? With some analysts even saying he is the best long term player? He is 2nd to only the most intriguing athlete ever...and almost unamiously ahead of a #1 hs prospect that averaged 24 in college. How can a guy from Murray freakin State be this beloved if he isnt anything but the truth? It cant be just youtube highlights. I am watching ex NBA players absolutely go CRAZY when you even bring his name up and gloss over his skill level. Tmac, Scottie Pippen, Isiah Thomas, Jalen Rose, Stephen Jackson, Brevin Knight, Jay Williams, Mark Jackson.  This is not going to be an easy group to impress. Not a lot of sugarcoaters among them. Most of them mention how you have to pick Zion first for business reasons then promptly talk about Ja Morants skill level, demeanor. Honestly if you listen they have more questions about Zion's skill level and translation to the current NBA game.

I understand Ja's issues and he has a few ....however I dislike RJ Barret game even more if this was last year's draft I would trade down for sure but it's not.

This Draft  is supet weak 

Zion and Ja have potential 

RJ is going to be solid nothing more.

Garland who knows?????

The rest is weak.

35 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

He led Duke and the ACC in scoring. and he's widely regarded as the #3 pick. it's not like he slid from 1 to 15 or 18 or something. Zion and Ja played their way into the #1 and #2 spots. I think RJ had a tremendous amount of scrutiny and he was judged differently than those 2 guys because he was the #1 consensus player. And btw, Ja isn't even in the same class as RJ and Zion so in effect, Zion is really the only person who jumped RJ It's not like they have him behind Tacko Fall or something. 

Are you changing your mind on Ja?

35 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I understand....he's good. But, there are 2 superstars in this draft, imo---Zion and Ja. Will they win championships? Who knows....but they'll step in and be 2 of the most exciting players in the league as soon as they hit the court. We haven't had an exciting offensive player since JWill. RJ's a good player and a likely all-star, but he doesn't "wow" me at all. And "wow" players attract top free agents---something we've never done.

I've explained in numerous other threads why I think that Ja will be the best player to come out of this draft (mainly related to longevity.) So, I won't bore anyone with those points again. IMO, from watching all of these guys play a ton, Zion and Ja are on another level of talent and marketability than RJ. Remember that OJ Mayo was also an incredibly celebrated number 1 recruit who put up nice numbers in college. Always watch the film.

12 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Just curious, cause I really cant debate something as obvious as picking Ja Morant for that long, but why do you all think he is the consensus #2 pick? With some analysts even saying he is the best long term player? He is 2nd to only the most intriguing athlete ever...and almost unamiously ahead of a #1 hs prospect that averaged 24 in college. How can a guy from Murray freakin State be this beloved if he isnt anything but the truth? It cant be just youtube highlights. I am watching ex NBA players absolutely go CRAZY when you even bring his name up and gloss over his skill level. Tmac, Scottie Pippen, Isiah Thomas, Jalen Rose, Stephen Jackson, Brevin Knight, Jay Williams, Mark Jackson.  This is not going to be an easy group to impress. Not a lot of sugarcoaters among them. Most of them mention how you have to pick Zion first for business reasons then promptly talk about Ja Morants skill level, demeanor. Honestly if you listen they have more questions about Zion's skill level and translation to the current NBA game.

I keep switching back and forth between Zion and Ja at 1.  

I have Ja at 1 now, but I dropped the Z Man a bit.  Maybe lead guards have more value now.  

I think I might have Garland at 3 over RJ (behind Ja/Zion at 1-2).   I still like Hunter (although I have never had him at 1 I don't think) and I could probably talk myself into Bol Bol as a top 3 pick.  But I almost like Tacko Fall for 15-20 minutes a night as opposed to Bol for 30 a night.  Nic Claxton sounds interesting and I like Kenny Wooten's dunks/blocks package.  

I just put Bazley, Lecque, and Samanic super high and I might just leave them there.

I will probably have a "big five" of Ja/Zion/Hunter/RJ/Garland at the top of my board when it is all said and done but I am likely to have Ja at 1 and Zion closer to 4 or 5 (if I can't figure out how I would use Zion in a winning situation).  You can say, just have Zion surrounded by 4 knock-down shooters which is a fancy way of saying "play Zion at center".  Could work. Who knows.   

**** it, I ultimately put Mitchell Robinson at 1 last year.  I might do something like that again.  

Now if Tacko Fall has a great work out for us....

7 hours ago, Father Pat said:

I don't follow college hoops anymore, but the arguments against Ja being from a crap school in a crap conference where the same arguments brought up for Steph Curry and Larry Bird, and probably other players that don't come to mind right now.

Didn't Popeye Jones go to MS?

Just curious,

If Garland was "given a promise by Phoenix", but is he gonna last until #6?

If not, what do Phoenix do if their pipedream of signing Kyrie, Kemba, or Russell fails?

16 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

What do you mean?

You seemed very high on Ja a few days ago.  I know you prefaced your post with the devil's advocate bit, but now you seem to be genuinely questioning the wisdom of taking Ja at 2.

4 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Didn't Popeye Jones go to MS?

Dang, haven't heard that name in awhile. Excellent recall LuvThem.

26 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Are you changing your mind on Ja?

17 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

What do you mean?

I was thinking the same thing ... I thought you were all in on Ja .

Looking back at the OP though - you did say take a closer look ... 

so now - with all of the replies in this topic -> what do you think?

IF you were in the big chair -> who's your pick?

I think there is a 'I'm shooting my shot at a potential superstar ' 

and a 'Make the safe choice and just don't completely blow this' pick.

I'm taking my shot - Ja Morant to the front of the congregation - Welcome to Memphis

1 minute ago, smit-tay griz said:

You seemed very high on Ja a few days ago.  I know you prefaced your post with the devil's advocate bit, but now you seem to be genuinely questioning the wisdom of taking Ja at 2.

hahaa -> same !

🤣💨

Inquiring minds wanna know!

As a Canadian I should back Barrett, but the more I read the more he sounds like Carmelo Anthony: good numbers on a team that doesn't win. 

And the Ja clips tell me "I wanna watch this guy play."

1 minute ago, TimBC said:

As a Canadian I should back Barrett, but the more I read the more he sounds like Carmelo Anthony: good numbers on a team that doesn't win. 

And the Ja clips tell me "I wanna watch this guy play."

He hit a game winner in one of his conference tournament games.  I liked that.  

He looks like a prototype point guard but he has some 2 guard skills too.