Ole Dirty Klondike

Is Ja Morant Worthy of a #2 pick?

56 minutes ago, BigHunkALove said:

I was just gonna ask the exact same question.

I'm worried that the Pels might throw Jrue into the AD trade, particularly if it is a multi team, multi player deal.

Draft day can't come soon enough.....

This is what I worry about if Pels steal our thunder

You could watch 2 minutes of Sekou Doumbouya highlights, call the Knicks to see if they make a Godfather offer -- like Mitch Rob, 3, and 3 unprotected future firsts, or you just go ahead and draft the guy that's built like the Titanic.

6 hours ago, TimBC said:

Someone has to ask. Is there ANY chance the Pels surprise everyone and take Ja?

ANY chance there's a trade for Zion out there (not just us)?

Maybe, but that it why is so important to be at two, they cant have both, its a easy choice. We will take between Ja or Zion

19 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Has anyone got ESPN+ membership?

Does this article say anything that we haven't already discussed?

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/26936428/nba-draft-debate-four-questions-ja-morant-star-potential

These things are often posted on Reddit.

Questions are (answers linked above):

1. How will Morant's frame hold up in the NBA?

2. Can Morant become an average NBA defender?

3. Will Morant be able to score efficiently in the half-court?

4. How does Morant fit with the Grizzlies?

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

These things are often posted on Reddit.

Questions are (answers linked above):

1. How will Morant's frame hold up in the NBA?

2. Can Morant become an average NBA defender?

3. Will Morant be able to score efficiently in the half-court?

4. How does Morant fit with the Grizzlies?

Great, thanks for that brother

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

It's the Trae Young argument.  You are going all in on the dribbling, passing, leadership, marketability, intangibles and flashy plays with the scoring/shooting out bursts being icing on the cake.  Trae seems quick but Ja looks faster and is more electric/explosive/more vertically inclined.  Neither are defenders but Ja looks more likely to make highlight blocks or defensive stops.  Ja should be a good rebounder too.  

Ja looks like a combo of some of the other young guards in the past few drafts: Fox, Young, and Sexton.  

I think Zion is slightly overrated just like Luka was last year.  Zion has LeBron's perceived trade value but without the skill set.  But, that doesn't really matter to us.  

In a parity-driven Moneyball league, especially next year, Ja/Delon/Bruno/Jaren/Jonas is a good start.

Now, let's try to get FreakNic Claxton in a Con Man trade.

4 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

It's the Trae Young argument.  You are going all in on the dribbling, passing, leadership, marketability, intangibles and flashy plays with the scoring/shooting out bursts being icing on the cake.  Trae seems quick but Ja looks faster and is more electric/explosive/more vertically inclined.  Neither are defenders but Ja looks more likely to make highlight blocks or defensive stops.  Ja should be a good rebounder too.  

Ja looks like a combo of some of the other young guards in the past few drafts: Fox, Young, and Sexton.  

I think Zion is slightly overrated just like Luka was last year.  Zion has LeBron's perceived trade value but without the skill set.  But, that doesn't really matter to us.  

In a parity-driven Moneyball league, especially next year, Ja/Delon/Bruno/Jaren/Jonas is a good start.

Now, let's try to get FreakNic Claxton in a Con Man trade.

Luka sure did look crappy last season 

Ja#12 is a better passer and better court vision and more offensive agression than Fox. I keep looking at videos of him posted on various sites, and I can help thinking Russell Westbrook MkII.

Hope that's the case....

2 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

I think Zion is slightly overrated just like Luka was last year. 

Wait ... woah...

5 minutes ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

Wait ... woah...

Um he didn't mean that just pretend you didn't see it

Zion has had the most hype since LeBron.  In that case I think he is overrated.  LeBron had more skills going into the NBA, notably passing and ball handling.  

I had Luka on my fantasy basketball team. I won the championship so I can't complain but Luka had a lot of games with either abysmal shooting numbers or bad turnover totals (sometimes in the same game).  And when the Mavs went Full Luka the lost -- a lot.  I think the Luka Hype is outrunning the Luka Value.  

Zion and Luka might run the league in five years (and I think the NBA's marketing-industrial complex is betting on it)  but we aren't there yet.  The marquee matchup might be Trae vs. Ja in the future.  Or, centers like DeAndre Ayton, Mitchell Robinson, and James Wiseman dominate the league again.  

Zion should still be a fantasy basketball star next season but we will see if it translates into wins. 

So we need to surround Ja with shooters and lob threats right?  Even if they are "role players".

I would target these kinds of guys (although a secondary ball handler/iso scorer would help, too) with any exra draft picks (including 2nd rounders).

We already brought in Shaq Buchanan for a workout.  He might be a good summer league guy since Ja is already familiar with him.  What about their big dude?  Cowart.  He's kinda chubby and probably not an NBA prospect (maybe not even a G League prospect) but should we bring him in for our summer league team?

You know what I am more excited for? Ja 2K rating 

I been saying this all along Ja passing ability is worthy of the 2nd pick .

Everything else is icing on the cake.

After watching quite a bit of Ja games and scouting reports, I think he's going to be a really good player but probably not an elite guy. I think he'll struggle to score, especially early on. I see him as a John Wall level player, not the same player, just the same level of player (i.e. perennial All Star but not a first team All NBA guy)

And I'm not complaining about that at all.

9 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

This kid is very likable. Every interview I've heard he seems very humble and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. It seems like it will be hard to get this pick wrong. I'd be very surprised if Ja isn't an excellent NBA player. My best guess is Da'aaron fox level talent or better. Certainly a potential all start at some point. He's got a slight frame and will definitely need to add pounds to absorb the banging at the NBA level, but he's only 19 (I think) and he's probably still growing. We truly may have a special core moving forward with Ja/Jaren that could move us to the front of the NBA in a 4-5 years. The NBA is about talent, and we definitely have it now.

On 6/15/2019 at 6:15 PM, grizzgolf said:

You know what I am more excited for? Ja 2K rating 

Hall of fame Dimer & Flashy Passer by the end of the season. Probably an 80 to start tho. Wonder how much they’ll juice up JJJ after the season he had. 

Well if there was ever even the slightest doubt that the Grizzlies were going to pick Ja at #2, there isn't anymore.

1 hour ago, GF#1 said:

Well if there was ever even the slightest doubt that the Grizzlies were going to pick Ja at #2, there isn't anymore.

Yeah, its a done deal

1 hour ago, GF#1 said:

More than likely yes but from what I heard the Grizz had their sights set on Garland before the draft lottery. Do I think they would take him at 2 over Ja? No, not unless they know something we don't but you never know. It's not over until Honey Boo Boo farts.

Also, they had Ja in a couple of weeks ago. Pera, the FO guys, JJJ and Conley met with him at Rendezvous. Not sure why they had Conley and this was before they hired Taylor Swift 

If its jerry west or other great gm that have proven to find talent id be ok with whatever they did on draft night . out FO I'm not so sure but if you really think garland + hunter at 4 and 6 or whatever is better than JA you do it imo. 

How did people view bos moving down . how about atl just last year..i dont want a FO paying to much attention to espn or skip bayless etc.. 

6 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

If its jerry west or other great gm that have proven to find talent id be ok with whatever they did on draft night . out FO I'm not so sure but if you really think garland + hunter at 4 and 6 or whatever is better than JA you do it imo. 

How did people view bos moving down . how about atl just last year..i dont want a FO paying to much attention to espn or skip bayless etc.. 

I said in other thread, I like Ja a lot, but a combination of possible #6, #8 and #10. Garland, Hachimura and NAW is hard to pass. James Jones said, Pels and Suns trade is only a rumor.

PS.: trading #2 for #4 and #6

and

#4 for #8 and #10