Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Klay Thompson Snub is Bad for the NBA

Klay Thompson found out he hadn't been selected to an All-NBA team while he was being interviewed by reporters Thursday, and the shock on the face of the Golden State Warriors' normally unflappable swingman told the story.

In addition to the sting of the snub, Thompson will not be eligible this summer to sign a five-year supermax contract worth $221 million. He will instead be eligible for a five-year max deal worth $191 million with the Warriors once he becomes a free agent on July 1.

This is not good for the league. If Thompson was eligible for the super max contract the Warriors wouldn't be able to re-sign him and all the ancillary players they need to continue this streak. By reducing his potential income by over $100 million it just makes it that much more difficult for other teams to compete. 

On 5/24/2019 at 11:33 AM, chipc3 said:

This is not good for the league. If Thompson was eligible for the super max contract the Warriors wouldn't be able to re-sign him and all the ancillary players they need to continue this streak. By reducing his potential income by over $100 million it just makes it that much more difficult for other teams to compete. 

1. Why should salary be tied to the voting for all NBA teams?

2. By being voted to the all NBA team, Thompson would have been the third person on his team eligible for a super max contract, which is 35% (per player) of the teams salary cap. That would be 3 players able to get 105% of a teams salary cap. Potentially, if a team had all 5 of their starters make one of the 3 all NBA teams (or meet the other 2 criteria - DPOY or MVP in the last 3 seasons) they could be on the hook for 5 max contracts worth 175% of the teams salary cap! See anything wrong with this picture?

3. How many teams could afford to sign Thompson to a super max contract? Sure as heck isn't the Grizzlies, so how does Thompson not getting a super max contract help us? He would just go to one of the few teams that could afford him.

The league needs to cut the crap. It is constantly pushing for only wealthy teams to be able to compete for championships. They need a hard cap. The luxury tax is only a true penalty for small market teams. No single player should be getting 35% of his teams salary cap. No 3 players should definitely not be getting 105% of it. Also, I think they should expand the awards. There were only 8 teams in the league when they announced the leagues first MVP. With 30 teams they should have MVP's for both conferences like MLB does, and the same with other awards. Let's be honest. Most teams in the league will be lucky to win a championship once every 50 years. Fans need some other bragging rights to hold them over during those super long dry spells.

Besides, there is not a person on this earth that I would feel sorry for if he got paid 191 million dollars instead of 221 million for playing basketball for 5 years.

I couldn’t agree more on most of these issues. I was under the impression that allay was limited to $91 million not $191 million on his contract however. If it is $191 million my post isn’t as dire.