Sign in to follow this  
First Team All Memphis

How the Grizz can make the Playoffs in 2019

What up guys. I am a new member to this forum but not to sports forum in general. I am a HUGE Grizzlies fan as many of you are and have been since 2001. Forgive me if I post some ideas that have already been mentioned here. This is my outlook on how I think this team can be a very good playoff team next year with certain roster moves. Any feedback would be great!

My initial thought it to bring back a lot of players from last year. Judging what the players were saying from the exit interviews a couple months ago, it sounds like they would be all for it. Avery Bradley, Jonas, and Mike were all on camera saying how the players would be in the locker room saying out loud how they all felt this team could be really good with every one healthy. Our cap situation is the biggest hold up to making that happen but I think some clever roster maneuvering can accomplish this.

First, we have to waive and stretch Chandler Parson's contract. Per the "stretch rules" we can spread out this last year of his deal which is 25 mil over 3 years at 8.4 million per year. Now, this would keep him on the books for 3 more years, but it would free up 17 million In cap room this year. Cap room that we need to sign players, one in particular that I want us very badly to bring back and that is Avery Bradley. AB probably wont have his 12.9 million team option picked up because we are about 12 million away from the luxury tax and we all know the grizz aint paying the luxury tax this year. Stretching chandler and freeing up that 17  mil could make picking up that option more feasible or allow up to decline the option and resign him to a different deal as an outright free agent. I do think JV is back next year and I think its almost a certainty. He wont get a salary starting at 17 million this year which is what his player option is. Also, the grizz own his full bird rights so even if he opts to test FA we can go over the salary cap to sign him to any contract we want to. That being said, and the reports that the FO really like him as a player and person, I think, points to him being back.

As for guys like Justin Holiday, I think he walks and they hope Dillon Brooks can stay healthy and replicate the production Holiday gave us from a guy that's 6 years younger and fits more with the potential outlook of this team. We need a big bodied center on the roster so between Noah and Zeller, bring one of them back.

A starting 5 of 1. Conley. 2. Bradley. 3.Anderson 4. JJ. 5. JV with a bench of 1. Morant/Wright. 2. Brooks. 3. Miles/Bruno 4. Bruno/Rabb 5.Noah/Zeller would make for a deep team and a talented team.

In a season in flux in which we saw our head coach get fired, at least bringing back some of the same guys and having chemistry on the court to help ease the transition, I think would be very helpful. Especially if Mike is gone to.

As for the huge elephant In the room in regards to the potential Mike Conley trade, certain things still need to happen. I don't think there's anyway we keep 3 PGs in Conley, Wright, and Morant. I do still believe this team could threaten for a playoff spot with Morant leading the way. He might be the most pro ready guy in this draft. With 30-35 MPG his rookie year I don't see why he can put op 19-21 PPG like we saw with Luca and Trey young this year. If we trade Mike, like many, I would hope it would be for high end draft picks this year and cap relief. Moving Mike for a top 10 pick this year(maybe with the knicks, lakers, or bulls) and getting Culver or Reddish to have a young big 3 would be awesome) would be ideal. Moving on from and stretching Parsons is paramount tho. I would much rather do that to him and free up money to bring back guys who are actually gone contribute in a big way. Having 3rd stringers like Jevon and Tyler Dorsey wouldn't hurt as well. They can play.

Like many of us, I am interested to see how this whole offseason takes shape. We haven't this many options as far as the roster goes for a while. Hearing Jason Wexler say that the draft pick had or would have no bearing on how the offseason would go is interesting. Maybe they were already leaning toward bringing everyone back and getting the 2nd pick just made it all the more glorious. Who knows. Let me know what yall think!

Welcome to the boards. 

1) I believe the team wants to bring back Delon, JV and possibly Justin (egg on face otherwise from that trade) but they need them back on reasonable contracts. I don't believe the Front Office is going to overpay for any of them. 

2) Parsons isn't being waived and stretched. The Front Office wants off that contract as soon as possible. The only way I see Parsons waived and stretched is if the team can't find a deal for Conley and wants to resign Delon and/or JV and the only way to stay under the luxury tax is to stretch Parsons. 

3) Noah is most likely gone. He appreciates Memphis getting him back into the league but all the Grizzlies can offer is a veterans minimum for him and at his age I expect Noah will accept that deal somewhere else with a more likely competitive playoff picture. 

4) Conley's trade profile is being discussed in another thread. We don't need to rehash it hear. 

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Welcome to the boards. 

1) I believe the team wants to bring back Delon, JV and possibly Justin (egg on face otherwise from that trade) but they need them back on reasonable contracts. I don't believe the Front Office is going to overpay for any of them. 

2) Parsons isn't being waived and stretched. The Front Office wants off that contract as soon as possible. The only way I see Parsons waived and stretched is if the team can't find a deal for Conley and wants to resign Delon and/or JV and the only way to stay under the luxury tax is to stretch Parsons. 

3) Noah is most likely gone. He appreciates Memphis getting him back into the league but all the Grizzlies can offer is a veterans minimum for him and at his age I expect Noah will accept that deal somewhere else with a more likely competitive playoff picture. 

4) Conley's trade profile is being discussed in another thread. We don't need to rehash it hear. 

On point 3, how does his salary work for the next 3 seasons - does any salary he earn up to the $6.4 million the Knicks stretched him out at just reduce the amount of money the Knicks have to pay? https://www.spotrac.com/nba/memphis-grizzlies/joakim-noah-2248/cash-earnings/

Or does any contract amount end up being in addition to the $6.4 million he's making from the Knicks?

Just now, ACGrizz said:

On point 3, how does his salary work for the next 3 seasons - does any salary he earn up to the $6.4 million the Knicks stretched him out at just reduce the amount of money the Knicks have to pay? https://www.spotrac.com/nba/memphis-grizzlies/joakim-noah-2248/cash-earnings/

Or does any contract amount end up being in addition to the $6.4 million he's making from the Knicks?

If another team signs a player who has cleared waivers, the player's original team is allowed to reduce the amount of money it still owes the player (and lower their team salary2) by a commensurate amount. This is called the right of set-off. This is true if the player signs with any professional team -- it does not have to be an NBA team. The amount the original team gets to set off is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran during the season in which the player is waived (if the player is a rookie, then the rookie minimum is used instead).

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q65

5. How can we convey a non-Evan Mobley pick to Boston in 2020?  I think it's gonna be Evan Mobley Or Bust for Beantown.

6. When do we get as many 1st or 2nd rounders for Mike Conley before teams figure out that 1st rounders in today's power ball lotto world are basically gold and 2nd rounders even if fool's gold are better than NO gold?

7. We should take "upside guys" for this draft and 2020 (if we keep our pick), but when do we start drafting for need?

8. Wiseman Or Achuiwa? You make the call!

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

If another team signs a player who has cleared waivers, the player's original team is allowed to reduce the amount of money it still owes the player (and lower their team salary2) by a commensurate amount. This is called the right of set-off. This is true if the player signs with any professional team -- it does not have to be an NBA team. The amount the original team gets to set off is limited to one-half the difference between the player's new salary and the minimum salary for a one-year veteran during the season in which the player is waived (if the player is a rookie, then the rookie minimum is used instead).

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q65

And since nobody's going to pay him $7+ million, he can just go to the team with the best playoff expectations/fit for him. Makes sense - thanks for answering my q!

10 minutes ago, ALT GRIND said:

5. How can we convey a non-Evan Mobley pick to Boston in 2020?  I think it's gonna be Evan Mobley Or Bust for Beantown.

6. When do we get as many 1st or 2nd rounders for Mike Conley before teams figure out that 1st rounders in today's power ball lotto world are basically gold and 2nd rounders even if fool's gold are better than NO gold?

7. We should take "upside guys" for this draft and 2020 (if we keep our pick), but when do we start drafting for need?

8. Wiseman Or Achuiwa? You make the call!

Image result for conspiracy theory meme

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Welcome to the boards. 

thanks for the feed back. I think they are gonna wash their hands with Justin. He was a last ditch effort to save the season and make the playoffs. Why pay him 5-6 million a season at age 30 when Dillon brooks has shown he can score the same way Justin can but only cost 1.8 million and is 24? Let that move be a "past FO decision" and don't allow it to mess up what you have going forward. I say all this as a Justin Holiday fan who appreciates like hell what he brought to this team, especially once he got going late in the season.

As for Parsons, I feel you, but I would wait and see. I do agree that they want he and his contract gone as soon as possible, but I don't think they want him around the team either. I think they want this "new" front office to start clean on everything. If they move Mike, I think its worth considering moving Chandler also and really having a new locker room with no ties to the past regime. We shall see.

Can someone please provide a brief lecture on "An expiring contract is really valuable" ?

How does that play out under current restrictions?

When do teams trade for such contracts - draftday? pre-season? mid-season?      

Which teams will do it? I'm thinking teams that want lots of cap space for the 2020/21, witrh other considerations also mattering.

6 minutes ago, TimBC said:

Can someone please provide a brief lecture on "An expiring contract is really valuable" ?

Which teams will do it? I'm thinking teams that want lots of cap space for the 2020/21, witrh other considerations also mattering.

They allow you to clear up cap space earlier than you otherwise would've without making the trade. You then use that cap space for additional flexibility (free agency, trades, etc.) 

2 hours ago, TimBC said:

I don't know if that is as true anymore as it once was. The rules have changed somewhat. However, an expiring contract can be valuable to a team looking to get way under the salary cap the following off-season and may be willing to trade veterans who are decent to good players but taking up space the next summer for salary cap purposes for an more expensive expiring contract that would allow a team to go after a major free agent in the off-season. 

Say for instance you have a team wanting to make a big offer for Kevin Durant this summer but the salary cap situation heading into the trade deadline would only allow them to offer Durant the MLE because they are over the salary cap. One way they could get below that hurdle would be to trade some decent role players on their team for an expiring contract from a different team  that would put them below the salary cap next summer and allow them to offer Durant more money than they would have otherwise. 

The new rules have put a bit of a cramp in this with free agent holds and other rules but an expiring contract can be a valuable thing in the right situation. 

9 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

That really IS a good representation of my internal draft war room.

LMAO

I'd  believe it!

8 hours ago, First Team All Memphis said:

As for Parsons, I feel you, but I would wait and see. I do agree that they want he and his contract gone as soon as possible, but I don't think they want him around the team either. I think they want this "new" front office to start clean on everything. If they move Mike, I think its worth considering moving Chandler also and really having a new locker room with no ties to the past regime. We shall see.

I can actually get behind this logic. Personally I would get off the contract this year at the expense of AB. (I thought for a half second you were Bradleys burner Grizz message boards account)

However, if the right opportunity presented itself I would not put it past this FO to stretch him.

Here's a great article about the Grizzlies salary cap https://www.spotrac.com/nba/memphis-grizzlies/cap/2019/

We're still 12 million under the luxury tax currently according to that. But that includes cap holds of 7.6 million for Delon and 5.7 million for holiday. Neither one are getting that much I don't believe, particularly holiday. So that combined 13 million is probably 7 million at most, so that puts us at 18 million under the tax. It just means we have no real reason to waive avery unless we are rebuilding, even when you factor in Ja's contract, which is about 9 million. 

41 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Here's a great article about the Grizzlies salary cap https://www.spotrac.com/nba/memphis-grizzlies/cap/2019/

We're still 12 million under the luxury tax currently according to that. But that includes cap holds of 7.6 million for Delon and 5.7 million for holiday. Neither one are getting that much I don't believe, particularly holiday. So that combined 13 million is probably 7 million at most, so that puts us at 18 million under the tax. It just means we have no real reason to waive avery unless we are rebuilding, even when you factor in Ja's contract, which is about 9 million. 

That's incorrect - Delon's cap hold isn't counted in that luxury tax number (no cap hold is - read what it says right above those players "These figures are not counted toward a team's Luxury Tax Allocation."). Just by resigning Delon and signing Ja, if we don't waive Avery or make other salary-clearing moves, we'll be over the luxury tax line.

4 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I hope so, I wanna keep Avery, but who knows what other deals our crew have got cooking. If the last deadline is anything to go by, I got Faith.

20 hours ago, First Team All Memphis said:

thanks for the feed back. I think they are gonna wash their hands with Justin. He was a last ditch effort to save the season and make the playoffs. Why pay him 5-6 million a season at age 30 when Dillon brooks has shown he can score the same way Justin can but only cost 1.8 million and is 24? Let that move be a "past FO decision" and don't allow it to mess up what you have going forward. I say all this as a Justin Holiday fan who appreciates like hell what he brought to this team, especially once he got going late in the season.

I don't think anyone wants Holiday at that same contact. Any desire to keep him it's at a near minimum contract. He has value there and if he isn't signed, his deal is probably just going to some other minimum salary guy.

I want Holiday back if it is for a minimum salary.

2 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I don't think anyone wants Holiday at that same contact. Any desire to keep him it's at a near minimum contract. He has value there and if he isn't signed, his deal is probably just going to some other minimum salary guy.

I want Holiday back if it is for a minimum salary.

eh, i think holiday is worth more than the minimum salary. he just came off 4.5 mil per season. I think that 4-5 million dollar range is pretty fair for a bench, veteran 2 guard who plays D, can shoot, and average 10-12 + points per game. vet minimum of 2.1 million seems to be low balling the guy.

A couple of you guys got me scared with the talk about stretching Parsons so I had to look and be 100% sure that he has only this coming season left on his contract. Never stretch a 1 year contract. Not happening. No team is taking his 25 million expiring so just waive him and hope some team gives him a vet min deal which will shave that amount off what the Grizzlies owe him. BAM! End of the Parsons nightmare.

I don't believe a team is going to trade for CP either, or at least not make it real valuable to do so, as there are a plethora of expiring deals because of that crazy off season.

I'd rather the waive occurs after he plays a little and gets injured so he can't contribute elsewhere.

Perhaps he plays well.... And perhaps Durant signs with the Grizzlies.

7 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I don't believe a team is going to trade for CP either, or at least not make it real valuable to do so, as there are a plethora of expiring deals because of that crazy off season.

I'd rather the waive occurs after he plays a little and gets injured so he can't contribute elsewhere.

Perhaps he plays well.... And perhaps Durant signs with the Grizzlies.

If the Grizzlies waive CP and another team picks him up his salary would be deducted from what the Grizzlies owe him. It could give the team a little more flexibility financially.

7 hours ago, Father Pat said:

A couple of you guys got me scared with the talk about stretching Parsons so I had to look and be 100% sure that he has only this coming season left on his contract. Never stretch a 1 year contract. Not happening. No team is taking his 25 million expiring so just waive him and hope some team gives him a vet min deal which will shave that amount off what the Grizzlies owe him. BAM! End of the Parsons nightmare.

Would not waive him. Never know what opportunities will surface by the deadline. He’s not a problem in the locker room. So if he can play, let him come off the bench if he can earn the minutes.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

If the Grizzlies waive CP and another team picks him up his salary would be deducted from what the Grizzlies owe him. It could give the team a little more flexibility financially.

Does it really though?

Depending on how things shake out it could, but at some point the team is limited to signing minimum contracts and the biannual exception because if where they are with the salary cap and his prorated minimum salary will make little difference.