chipc3

Realistic expectations for Ja Morant in the upcoming season.

21 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I may be wrong but I think all four of those players can be pieces to match with two legit all-star capable players to make a deep playoff run. Look at the teams in the finals now. Are Danny Green, Kyle Lowry, Pascal Siacam players you would assume are core players on a championship quality team? Would you want Kevin Looney, Shaun Livingston and Jonas Jerebko be players you envision as integral pieces for a title run? 

In my eyes the question should be do the Grizzlies have two all-star capable players? 58 games for one and zero for the other is putting a lot of pressure on young players backs. 

Hopefully Conley and Jonas are our Lowry/Gasol (sounds strange typing that).  

If not we should tweak our roster.  It would also be nice if Bruno is a version of Siakam.  

The Raps tweaked their roster until they got it right.  If they don't win it this season I still think they move some pieces around to make more runs.  

39 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I wasn't directing that to protect you but to keep the boards on a higher level. Most people don't want this to devolve into the BS you see on most other boards. 

Especially when the person tossing the insults has no clue what he is talking about with no facts to support his opinion. No one knows today what will happen 6-7 years from now. 

Hey someone had to tell him the hard truth. I don't see that as belittling but more making him aware of how he sounds.

1 minute ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Hey someone had to tell him the hard truth. I don't see that as belittling but more making him aware of how he sounds.

I need that reminder myself from time to time. 

44 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I wasn't directing that to protect you but to keep the boards on a higher level. Most people don't want this to devolve into the BS you see on most other boards. 

Especially when the person tossing the insults has no clue what he is talking about with no facts to support his opinion. No one knows today what will happen 6-7 years from now. 

Truth .

No personal attacks but by all means feel free to tear a post to pieces - intelligently. Snark and sarcasm while not required, are welcomed ! 

🤣💨

6 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I need that reminder myself from time to time. 

consider yourself- reminded !

💫🤣💫

1 minute ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

consider yourself- reminded !

💫🤣💫

Image result for thanks gif

This is my being snarky not rude by the way! 

8 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Chip you've been like overly giffy lately,  what's going on? 

Image result for i go with the flow gif

Actually I prefer to talk seriously about things we know. How well Ja can play with JJJ, whether or not Jonas will resign, where Conley could be traded to, etc are all hypothetical things. They are better served with GIF's than serious responses. 

Plus they usually make me laugh. 

51 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

Lol i was thinking this when reading threads last night. Is this a case of an old man who found a new toy? 😋

Maybe he got a new phone that he posts from now or something. It's easy to add Gifs right from the keyboard with these newfangled thingamajigs 👴

2 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

29 minutes ago, Zappastache said:

Lol i was thinking this when reading threads last night. Is this a case of an old man who found a new toy? 😋

Maybe he got a new phone that he posts from now or something. It's easy to add Gifs right from the keyboard with these newfangled thingamajigs 👴

Ever since another poster told him in some thread that he needed to add a gif for effect, Chip's been on a roll.

I think you guys are selling Ja and JJJ short. They are players with lots more than their talent. They have clearly defined games that are suited to the NBA. They should be easy to build around. The organization should start filling in this year. Conley is never going to be a better trade chip than he is now. Move him for some of those pieces. We have 2 lead guards who are going to be healthier, faster, taller, stronger than he. JV helps shoulder the load. We need to add an experienced wing to do the same

3 hours ago, Zappastache said:

No way I can NOT give credit where credit is due -> BONUS POINTS for using thingamajigs in a post !

I had a good deep belly laugh off this one ! 

🤣 💨 

Hmm.. might be time for a new forum profile pic.. times are changing for the Grizz.  It's been coming for a long time.. but this time, it seems there is a very real and exciting future.. rather than this generic term thrown around of "rebuild".  If anyone doesn't know, the profile pic was the running floater from Zac in game 6 of the Memphis' first playoff series win.  A nice revenge against the Spurs, after those earlier swept series.  And even sweeter that they could be number 1 seed.  Zac had the entire city on his back during that game, and played the forth quarter pretty much perfectly.  As good as any player in his position could have done.  After the game, he said that Memphis is a blue collar town, he's a blue collar player.. and "it's a fit".  Combine that with TA.. and the Grizzlies had their identity.

Who knows what the future identity can be, but with JJJ it's in good hands.. he's even got KG helping him and a top class PG like Morant would be a great addition.  I don't think great is a strong enough word.  It's the perfect addition.  They are pretty much the exact same age.  It would be nice if Bruno could continue to develop with them, as he is a bit of a tempo/game changer on both ends of the floor, during those moments when his brain is turned on.  He just needs more of them and to become more effecient.  He has the right athletic attributes that would really blend well with Ja, and JJJ.  In terms of hops, spacing and length.  Outside of that.. who knows what the identity of the team will be turning into.  JV isn't that old, it's possible he could transition with them as well.  But JJJ and Murant alone have huge potential.  The potential to be the best players to ever play for the franchise.  Pretty much everyone else is expendable as long as these two can develop a combo together.

I really find it impossible to predict what Ja's numbers could be at this stage.. there needs to be a coaching decision, and then see the summer.. into training camp and decide from there.  Everything is very open (or should be) because Mike is the right kind of player to mentor.. but also.. unleashing Ja from the beginning could work as well.  There's going to be mistakes.. there's going to be ugly moments and inefficiency.. it goes without saying.  But each year after that.. there should be a continual progression.. and from there.. who knows.  Will the coach push a defense first mentality, or an uptempo "entertaining" style where they try to score 120 every night?  It can work either way.

It wouldn't surprise me, if they try a repeat of this season.. it terms of trying to make the playoffs, and then abandoning around the trade deadline, or if there are injuries to key players.  Hoping for as high a rank as possible, hoping for playoffs but it being 'ok' if they still fall into the lottery.  That Boston pick is still a dark cloud hanging over.. but at least with Ja.. it takes some of the pain away.  Trading Conley is an option, but it's not worth getting rid of him just for the sake of it.  Even 3 months of playing under Conley could be beneficial for Ja.  He's only 19, this isn't going to be his MVP season.   So long term, I don't think it matters either way.  Look at all of the best PG's in the last 20 years.. their first year or two didn't really matter, as long as they stay healthy and learn.   And JJJ needs time to bulk up.  In the meantime, figure out the play style of this combo, and add complementary pieces around them that are of similar age so that they can grow together.  Maybe Memphis can finally have some decent outside shooting. Because the key to this combo with be stretching the floor and having a lot of spacing.

It's still not 100% that Memphis will get Ja.. in my opinion.  It must be really tempting for the Pelicans.  For me personally, I see more bust potential with Zion.. even though it's really low.  He is a freak athlete but it's possible into the middle of his career he could become a "heavy" player.  Forgetting injuries for a second, I think Ja is a lower risk.  But Zion Williamson is an instant drop in replacement for Mr Unibrow so who knows.  If it wasn't for the AD trade situation.. it could be a much different situation.  All of the stars have aligned in the last few months for Ja and JJJ to play together.. so who knows.  And I think the Pelicans might be too scared to go against the media hype and will just pick Zion as the safe bet.  I just won't be able to 100% relax until he's selected.

I really hope Memphis doesn't overthink this.  There's two sure things in this draft.  Whichever the Pelicans pick.. take the other one.  Go for the highest talent level.. and deal with the rest later.  But I really hope Memphis get Ja.  Out of any of the PG's I've seen in the last few years, he's easily the best I've seen in terms of being the preferred option of a long term replacement for Conley.  There's hints of Westbrook (or others) but with a higher IQ and more of a team first point guard.  There's even some hints of Steve Nash.  He's a bit smaller than Westbrook but he'll be fast.  The potential is super high.  At worst, he'll be a solid PG starter for any team in the league.  Just someone tell him to watch those landings on the dunks, or he could end up being the next D Rose and having problems with leg injuries.