chipc3

Realistic expectations for Ja Morant in the upcoming season.

Sorry to steal a title from Teddy B but I am curious what people expect Ja Morant to be able to produce as a rookie in the NBA? 

Chris Herrington wrote about it and expects his rookie season to be along the lines of De'Aaron Fox from Sacramento's rookie seasonSeveral posters have suggested he is better than Trae Young. Still others have used Russell Westbrook as a comparable player. 

What are you expecting Ja Morant to be able to produce as a rookie in the NBA? 

If we trade Conley before the season and he's a starter from the beginning: 16 PPG, 7 APG, 3 RPG (a blend of Wall and Lillard's rookie years).

If he's not handed the reigns right away: 13.5 PPG, 5.5 APG, 2.5 RPG (Sexton/Fox hybrid).

I figure hes going to turn the ball over a lot at the start but I'm sure he will fix that as time goes on. 

18-6-6 would be nice.  Magic's rookie scoring numbers with MJ's rebounds and assists.  Actually I think Penny averaged close to that as a rookie. But he might have gone for 16/6/6.  

I would settle for 15/5/5.

Well, we need to draft him first. Knowing the Grizz, they may select Bol Bol, Tacko Fall or Jeremiah Martin over Ja or RJ or trade the pick and Parsons for some overpaid over the hill injured  vet, but let's assume he's the pick .

If Conley is gone and Ja has the team to himself, I would say 13 pts and 5 assists is realistic. He's slight of frame and played in a small conference in college and he was a late bloomer. There will be an adjustment period. Then again, with the wide open game everyone is playing and gaudy stats being put up, he may do better but I expect 13 points and 5 dimes. It's hard for rookie PGs to come in and do really well 

43 minutes ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

Well, we need to draft him first. Knowing the Grizz, they may select Bol Bol, Tacko Fall or Jeremiah Martin over Ja or RJ or trade the pick and Parsons for some overpaid over the hill injured  vet, but let's assume he's the pick .

If Conley is gone and Ja has the team to himself, I would say 13 pts and 5 assists is realistic. He's slight of frame and played in a small conference in college and he was a late bloomer. There will be an adjustment period. Then again, with the wide open game everyone is playing and gaudy stats being put up, he may do better but I expect 13 points and 5 dimes. It's hard for rookie PGs to come in and do really well 

They already said they're focused on Ja

Hopefully he won’t get injured.

somewhere in the 12/6/3 range. Especially if Conley is here to start the season.

i think that’s a realistic starting point. Anything over that I’d consider bonus.

From what I’ve seen which is admittedly not a lot, he seems to gamble a lot and offers his body up a lot, which can be risky for both body and finding himself out of position.

Again, I’m basing that on not that much info, just highlights and a couple of games I’ve seen him play in. 

High turnovers games and also high assist games I think he will help guys like Bruno and Brooks with open 3s.

for comparison this is DB's rookie stats...cant believe we have kind of forgot about him.

GP GS MPG FG FG% 3PT 3P% FT FT% OR DR REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
82 74 28.7 4.1-9.4 44.0 1.1-3.2 35.6 1.5-2.0 74.7 0.6 2.5 3.1 1.6 0.2 0.9 2.8 1.5 11.0

41 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

They already said they're focused on Ja

I'm aware of that just throwing some light-hearted humor out there. There's only 3 players to draft in this draft and 1 will be off of the board when we draft. They are clearly focused on Morant (unless it's a smokescreen). But they have met with Williamson, Morant and Barrett at the combine.

Get 2 of the 3 biggest freaks from college last season: Zion, Ja, Tacko.

After that? What about an import? Or Jalen Lacque? 

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

What are you expecting Ja Morant to be able to produce as a rookie in the NBA? 

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

What are YOU expecting Ja Morant to be able to produce as a rookie in the NBA?

(and yes, I noticed that you did not say as a Grizzly, couldn't even go out on a limb for that...) 😄

As for me, depending on the coach and the leash he has from the F.O., a little better than Conley's rookie year; 12 ppg 5.5 assists.

17.6pts 4.6rebs 7.4ast

probably seems high but I think this dude is about to hit the ground running. We’ve never had a prospect like this before.  He may be the best pg in the league in 4 years 

20+ 10 + 10.

Average a triple double. All Star first year and the slam dunk contest winner and the three-point champion And the skills champion.

And they all NBA first team.

10 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

20+ 10 + 10.

Average a triple double. All Star first year and the slam dunk contest winner and the three-point champion And the skills champion.

Glad Conley will be gone. 

16 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

20+ 10 + 10.

Then he would finish 3rd in ROY. 

If teams breathe on Zion it will be a foul. He will go for 25/7/3/2. Captain Stubby really isn't a good rebounder. 

If teams even THINK about breathing on Bol Bol it will be a flagrant 2. He will average 30/15/1/3/1.

Tacko Fall is the Grizzlies 3rd string center behind Jonas and Noah. Breaks the All time NBA record by scoring 50 points in one quarter.  

2 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

I might take those 3 over RJ.

Well they compared him on the combine show today as a blend of Fox and Trae Young. I expect him to really focus on trying to get assist starting out. It all depends on what the roster around him looks like but somewhere between 12-15 ppg to go with 3rbs and 5-7 assists

He will have similar assist numbers to Trae although he won’t be able to score a lot from three. If given the green light from the jump I expect 15-8-3

Similar turnovers for a rookie as well. 

1 minute ago, Ndq0327 said:

Well they compared him on the combine show today as a blend of Fox and Trae Young. I expect him to really focus on trying to get assist starting out. It all depends on what the roster around him looks like but somewhere between 12-15 ppg to go with 3rbs and 5-7 assists

That’s a good comparison. He’s just as athletic as Fox but a much better dime dropper and most likely a better finisher than Fox as well.

15-5-5 and at least 1 steal a game 

The assist number could be way higher depending on the others around him.

He’s a better scorer than Fox. If Mike is traded they will give him the keys and turn him loose. It will be his and JJJs team. 

If that is the case I could see 18 7 5 easily. The % may not be pretty but he will get tons of valuable experience. 

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

20+ 10 + 10.

Gee how you gonna handle that especially when Jaren goes for the same?