Sign in to follow this  
jtown fan

The SouthWest Division just gets tougher

Our division is once again very tough and very competitive.  Everyone knows Houston and SA. Dallas will be good next year (if no injuries and KP can avoid getting beaten up) and now NO and if we don't screw up this pick (please don't pick Hasheem Thabeet 2.0), we have a chance to be very exciting to say the least. I'm not a homer...I know we are a few years and some additional luck from being really competitive but dang, I am excited about this season more than I have been in years. 

Our division is stupid good.....

Go Griz

I don't think Dallas will be much better. KP is good if he comes back healthy, but they don't have a first rounder for the foreseeable future. I don't think a high level player will go there. Even with all the veterans they had last year they still sucked. 

San Antonio is just another year of wear and tear on Aldridge and DeRozan. They are going to regress soon, particularly LA.

Houston can't really add anyone with their financial situation, so they are kind of what they are. 

Pelicans will clearly take a big step forward if they don't trade AD. We still have to see if he will play there though. 

The one positive I thought about with the Pelicans getting Zion is we as fans get to see him twice a year at the FedEx Forum, although if he really does end up being anything close to LeBron, and if he has Nike's marketing behind him, I'm guessing it will be a lot of new Pelicans fans in the building.

51 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

The one positive I thought about with the Pelicans getting Zion is we as fans get to see him twice a year at the FedEx Forum, although if he really does end up being anything close to LeBron, and if he has Nike's marketing behind him, I'm guessing it will be a lot of new Pelicans fans in the building.

I am doing a Zion road trip.

Good draft for Boston.  I think they can win the thing even if us and New Orleans get the two best players in the draft.  They have 14, 20, 22, and our pick keeps rolling over.

I think this draft is top heavy, followed by some guys I don't really care for (Culver/Reddish/Hayes/Rui), then some sleeper guys a bit later that I really like (Kevin Porter, Jr., Tyler Herro, Kris Wilkes, and Grant Williams plus Bol Bol and Brandon Clarke if they fall.  Sekou might be the boom/bust guy in the second half of the lottery).

My gut tells me that we should work out as many guys as possible.  Either to draft 'em at 2, trade down, or acquire in a Conley trade.

Late first round/2nd round depth will depend on if guys like Moses Brown go back to school.  If he does, I like Moses Brown in the lotto next year.

Another gut feeling: any team without a "win now guy" -- Steph, Durant, Kawhi -- or a WIN TOMORROW and for the rest of time like a Giannis and -- that's about it -- needs to trade into this draft.

Also, the draft order makes it a bit more likely that we get a Lakers/Knicks Finals next year, although they would still be under dogs to the Warriors and Bucks/Raptors.

If I am Philly, do I blow it up AGAIN????  Trade Embiid to the Knicks for 3, Kevin Knox and Mitchell Robinson?  That could give them a core of Ben Simmons, Jimmy Butler, and Kevin Knox on the perimeter with twin towers inside (Bol Bol and Mitchell Robinson).  

Joel Embowie is a time bomb: physically, psychologically, emotionally, and spiritually.

For the Grizzlies, IF you take Morant, then you hope Mike/Ja is the next Walt/Pearl.  I don't necessarily trade Conley.  A micro back court and a freak front line should be a match-up nightmare for other teams.  And, DEPTH might be the new "Big 3".

3 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

I don't think Dallas will be much better. KP is good if he comes back healthy, but they don't have a first rounder for the foreseeable future. I don't think a high level player will go there. Even with all the veterans they had last year they still sucked. 

San Antonio is just another year of wear and tear on Aldridge and DeRozan. They are going to regress soon, particularly LA.

Houston can't really add anyone with their financial situation, so they are kind of what they are. 

Pelicans will clearly take a big step forward if they don't trade AD. We still have to see if he will play there though. 

I have been hearing about San Antonio aging for so long I have aged in the process. They just keep winning. 

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I have been hearing about San Antonio aging for so long I have aged in the process. They just keep winning. 

They do, you're not wrong. But they haven't been out of the first round a couple years in a row I believe, and have barely gotten in 2 years in a row. They were able to reload this past year, but I don't see another way for them to do that. I can't see how they will improve. 

3 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

They do, you're not wrong. But they haven't been out of the first round a couple years in a row I believe, and have barely gotten in 2 years in a row. They were able to reload this past year, but I don't see another way for them to do that. I can't see how they will improve. 

Healthy Dejounte Murray and Lonnie Walker as well as another year of improvement for Derrick White and Bryn Forbes. Don't sleep on their roster.

35 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Maybe having their starting PG this season will help. They lost him last year before the start of the season. 

3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I guess you can say "the rumors of their demise have been greatly exaggerated."

9 minutes ago, CarloJ63 said:

I guess you can say "the rumors of their demise have been greatly exaggerated."

Their ability to continually find gems later in the draft is remarkable. It's like the complete mirror opposite to Chris Wallace during the Grit and Grind years.

1 hour ago, ACGrizz said:

Their ability to continually find gems later in the draft is remarkable. It's like the complete mirror opposite to Chris Wallace during the Grit and Grind years.

The Spurs can pick a regular guy from the Y in ... well - ‘pick a place’ and turn him into a stud .

They find guys on a global scale.

Who is their scouting squad ?

8 hours ago, jtown fan said:

Our division is once again very tough and very competitive.  Everyone knows Houston and SA. Dallas will be good next year (if no injuries and KP can avoid getting beaten up) and now NO and if we don't screw up this pick (please don't pick Hasheem Thabeet 2.0), we have a chance to be very exciting to say the least. I'm not a homer...I know we are a few years and some additional luck from being really competitive but dang, I am excited about this season more than I have been in years. 

Our division is stupid good.....

Go Griz

You Rang??????

051519-fsf-nba-tacko-fall-pi.vresize.102

4 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

Healthy Dejounte Murray and Lonnie Walker as well as another year of improvement for Derrick White and Bryn Forbes. Don't sleep on their roster.

Dejounte Murray certainly isn't helping them score more, obviously he's good on defense, but he's a straight liability on offense. Walker could be good but who knows. White and Forbes will be solid, but I don't know how much better they will get. 

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Maybe having their starting PG this season will help. They lost him last year before the start of the season. 

I know, I'm not sure how much of an upgrade he really is. He can't score, isn't great at distributing either. Plus coming off an injury like he had is tough. 

1 hour ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

You Rang??????

051519-fsf-nba-tacko-fall-pi.vresize.102

Tacko has a 8'2 wing span. I would buy a 2nd rounder to get him.  He's a high IQ guy and a competitor.  He also got Zion Williamson banished to The Big Easy.