Kevin B Moses

Even I know you have to draft Ja

If Ja can score Im happy. 

5 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You're stupid argument against me is the same as this. Makes no sense.

The worst part is you think I'm arguing against you.  Just trying to gain some clarification.  Youve said several times that you don't like ja,  so why draft him? Whats the bases of your argument.  I apologize that you are a knee jerk type of guy and get very emotional Carl.  Just trying to understand your thought process.  As far as the convey thing it's simple,  1 convey,  but we would've needed to fall to 9th, 2nd would've been to keep the pick,  which we did.  The choices are really out of our control, just so happened to be option number 2. Now if we ended up with our more likely number 8 pick,  no one on this board, pro convey or keep, would've been as excited as they are now after landing the number 2 pick

So first option convey,  didn't happen,  2nd most likeky option was keep and stay at 8th, what actually happened kept and moved to 2nd, pretty good outcome.  Next just move Mike for a pick so when we do convey we'll still have a dog in the race.  Also incase you missed it,  I was big on drafting Hunter too as were you Carl 

58 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

The worst part is you think I'm arguing against you.  Just trying to gain some clarification.  Youve said several times that you don't like ja,  so why draft him? Whats the bases of your argument.  I apologize that you are a knee jerk type of guy and get very emotional Carl.  Just trying to understand your thought process.  As far as the convey thing it's simple,  1 convey,  but we would've needed to fall to 9th, 2nd would've been to keep the pick,  which we did.  The choices are really out of our control, just so happened to be option number 2. Now if we ended up with our more likely number 8 pick,  no one on this board, pro convey or keep, would've been as excited as they are now after landing the number 2 pick

So first option convey,  didn't happen,  2nd most likeky option was keep and stay at 8th, what actually happened kept and moved to 2nd, pretty good outcome.  Next just move Mike for a pick so when we do convey we'll still have a dog in the race.  Also incase you missed it,  I was big on drafting Hunter too as were you Carl 

You draft him because he is consensus #2, regardless what I think. Like I said, you seem to think that I all the sudden want to draft him because I think he is great now. I don't. I would draft Hunter or Garland or Cam in front of him, if it were me.

Last year I wasn't on board with Marvin Bagley either, but the grizzlies got lucky that they didn't get the #2 pick. This year they aren't that lucky. The players that usually bust in drafts are usually the #2 picks.

So much like what you said about conveying the pick is out of your control is how I feel about Ja. Drafting him is largely out of are control if we stay at the #2 pick. If the grizzlies think other players are better, then they would have to trade down to get value and they ain't likely to do that.

I would like the grizzlies to pick reddish, because he has the potential to be a 2-way star. I think Hunter would affect winning far more than Ja would. I have a sneaky suspicion that Garland is going to be as good or better than Ja, and I think Alex-Walker is a nice prospect.

In my opinion, I would take Hunter or Cam over him at #2 and I think Garland and Walker are more trade down scenarios.

I would love to move to the 4th pick in the draft, pick up an asset and draft Cam or hunter.     

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You draft him because he is consensus #2, regardless what I think. Like I said, you seem to think that I all the sudden want to draft him because I think he is great now. I don't. I would draft Hunter or Garland or Cam in front of him, if it were me.

Last year I wasn't on board with Marvin Bagley either, but the grizzlies got lucky that they didn't get the #2 pick. This year they aren't that lucky. The players that usually bust in drafts are usually the #2 picks.

So much like what you said about conveying the pick is out of your control is how I feel about Ja. Drafting him is largely out of are control if we stay at the #2 pick. If the grizzlies think other players are better, then they would have to trade down to get value and they ain't likely to do that.

I would like the grizzlies to pick reddish, because he has the potential to be a 2-way star. I think Hunter would affect winning far more than Ja would. I have a sneaky suspicion that Garland is going to be as good or better than Ja, and I think Alex-Walker is a nice prospect.

In my opinion, I would take Hunter or Cam over him at #2 and I think Garland and Walker are more trade down scenarios.

I would love to move to the 4th pick in the draft, pick up an asset and draft Cam or hunter.     

I wasn't implying you like him npw just trying to understand what you were thinking,  vs what you were saying(granted looking back you've maintained the same thought process).  I like Hunter a lot too,  and i share your view of the Khawi comparison,  but I'm Just not sure I'd take him 2nd

Hahaha....I see that certain posters are still being certain posters.  We've got the best pick in the draft for our particular situation. We dodged that #1 pick that would literally force any gm in the league to take Zion at the risk of being tarred and feathered for considering anyone else. Zion is great....for now.

Zion is a freak athlete----even as a muscular, thick body type. BUT, something that I don't hear anyone talking about is that human joints and ligaments are not capable of sustaining the torque and abuse that being heavy with elite explosiveness creates (especially with 82 game seasons)-----think a basketball version of Bo Jackson. I really see Zion as a comet that burns beautifully white hot for a short time with an amazing highlight reel, but eventually goes completely dark when his body begins breaking down.

Ja, on the other hand, is another freakish athlete with a sustainable body type. He can create his own shot as well as anyone (especially if he develops a deadly mid-range game.) He's incredibly smooth on the court. He naturally glides with the basketball---his movement truly reminds me of Penny at Memphis State. He plays with fire and an incredibly competitive confidence (he believes in his mind that he's unguardable)-----the Grizzlies would FINALLY have a star that everyone in the league knows is taking the last shot. I'd best compare him to a mixture of Penny and Russell Westbrook.

RJ Barrett would be a nice pick as well. But, I believe that there are 2 superstars in this draft (Zion and Ja), with a few other players who will be great with superstar potential (the RJ Barrett tier.)

But, I, of course, could be completely wrong........

I can see the best matchup out of this draft being Ja/Garland.  

Zion/RJ/Bol/Hunter have upside too.  And there should be some good sleeper picks. 

This draft is deeper (and flatter) at the top.

I think the FO takes the best guy from workouts/interviews, etc.

1 hour ago, TonyMassenturd said:

Hahaha....I see that certain posters are still being certain posters.  We've got the best pick in the draft for our particular situation. We dodged that #1 pick that would literally force any gm in the league to take Zion at the risk of being tarred and feathered for considering anyone else. Zion is great....for now.

Zion is a freak athlete----even as a muscular, thick body type. BUT, something that I don't hear anyone talking about is that human joints and ligaments are not capable of sustaining the torque and abuse that being heavy with elite explosiveness creates (especially with 82 game seasons)-----think a basketball version of Bo Jackson. I really see Zion as a comet that burns beautifully white hot for a short time with an amazing highlight reel, but eventually goes completely dark when his body begins breaking down.

Ja, on the other hand, is another freakish athlete with a sustainable body type. He can create his own shot as well as anyone (especially if he develops a deadly mid-range game.) He's incredibly smooth on the court. He naturally glides with the basketball---his movement truly reminds me of Penny at Memphis State. He plays with fire and an incredibly competitive confidence (he believes in his mind that he's unguardable)-----the Grizzlies would FINALLY have a star that everyone in the league knows is taking the last shot. I'd best compare him to a mixture of Penny and Russell Westbrook.

RJ Barrett would be a nice pick as well. But, I believe that there are 2 superstars in this draft (Zion and Ja), with a few other players who will be great with superstar potential (the RJ Barrett tier.)

But, I, of course, could be completely wrong........

Yeah Im just hoping New Orleans doesnt grow a pair and take Ja. I honestly think he is the #1 long term prospect in the draft. And he has more game finishing potential than Zion.

5 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I just want to point out that Ja isn't consensus #2 right now, he's the most popular or the majority #2 pick, but not consensus. 

Zion is a consensus #1 selection, but after that, there isn't complete or nearly unanimous agreement on #2.

https://www.nba.com/draft/2019/consensus-mock-draft

12 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

what? I said that we should draft Ja. Doesn't mean they are going to lead us anywhere. I would equate Ja to Andrew Wiggins, honestly.

You are completely full of it how the hell do you compare Ja to Wiggins?? They don't do anything similar I already thought this but you just troll for the sake of trolling if anybody is Wiggins it's RJ hell he actually gets compared to a better version on Wiggins 🤦🏾‍♂️ You are right Ja and Jaren won't lead us anywhere alone but hopefully this version of the FO will put the correct pieces around them and that team will lead us back to the playoffs for a long time.

JA is a great trade chip( and a keeper ) imo .  i'd be fine if we move down + assets moving forward .in no way would i be happy if JA is packaged with Parsons to save some$$ . dont be fancy take JA or maybe barrett depending on how they workout etc..

we are in a great spot with lot's of options imo .

i see more  of an  elfrid peyton type   than steve or dennis but i'm probably alone on that lol.

11 hours ago, Zappastache said:

Would you trade Conley for #4 and one of the young Lakers players? They have the cap space to absorb Conley and weren't expecting to have #4. Not sure I love any of the players after Barrett though... 

Hell yes. Ingram or Kuzma + a Hunter or Reddish at 4. Sign me up.

I think the Lakers would try to push Hart + the pick though. Keeping Ingram and Kuzma for an AD or Klay.

24 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

The more realistic Ja comparisons I've seen are to Steve Francis or Dennis Schroder.

If you're looking for realistic try Schroder's teammate - Russell Westbrook.

Some of you have no clue what you're talking about.

2 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

If you're looking for realistic try Schroder's teammate - Russel Westbrook.

Some of us aren't just blinded by NBA draft optimism.

Russell Westbrook was drafted in 2008, and almost every year since, someone in the draft is the next Russ.

Every draft at this time, there is a next Michael Jordan or Tim Duncan or Steph Curry.

I hope Ja's the next Westbrook, but Westbrook is one of the greatest in NBA history, so in 5 years, the most likely outcome for Ja isn't Westbrook, but maybe a pretty good above average PG.  I'd be content if he turned in Mike Conley or Kyle Lowry type careers. I'd be happy with an Oladipo outcome.  Honestly, him turning into a level headed and professional Steve Francis would be an very good career.

If he averages a triple double for 2 seasons, I'll lick Beale Street from Riverside to BB Kings.

Just now, Grizzled Vet said:

Some of us aren't just blinded by NBA draft optimism.

Russell Westbrook was drafted in 2008, and almost every year since, someone in the draft is the next Russ.

Every draft at this time, there is a next Michael Jordan or Tim Duncan or Steph Curry.

I hope Ja's the next Westbrook, but Westbrook is one of the greatest in NBA history, so in 5 years, the most likely outcome for Ja isn't Westbrook, but maybe a pretty good above average PG.  I'd be content if he turned in Mike Conley or Kyle Lowry type careers. I'd be happy with an Oladipo outcome.  Honestly, him turning into a level headed and professional Steve Francis would be an very good career.

If he averages a triple double for 2 seasons, I'll lick Beale Street from Riverside to BB Kings.

exactly .

11 hours ago, ALT GRIND said:

Zion is a tough fit.

Supremely talented forwards his size like Barkley, Elgin Baylor (and Dominique Wilkins) never won rings.

Elgin Baylor appeared in eight NBA finals and won it all in 1972. 

Dennis Schroder??????? Peyton!?!?!?!?!?!

You guys are either trolling for no reason or seriously have no clue how to evaluated a player.

If we don't get Ja at 2nd it would be the worse mistake in Grizz history even worse than the Parsons contract or drafting Thabeet.

Just now, costarica2 said:

Dennis Schroder??????? Peyton!?!?!?!?!?!

You guys are either trolling for no reason or seriously have no clue how to evaluated a player.

If we don't get Ja at 2nd it would be the worse mistake in Grizz history even worse than the Parsons contract or drafting Thabeet.

ii'm talking skill set as a prospect and nothing else . not  how they turn out . so go on with whatever you think elsewhere .

s: Tall, quick and talented offensive point guard ... Deadly first step and killer crossover allow him to get to the basket seemingly at will ... At 6'3", has ideal size for a point guard ... Quick hands and great defensive instincts allow him to get a ton of steals. Has averaged 2.4 per game over the past 2 seasons ... Great in transition. Good finisher at the rim ...Very athletic, is able to play above for highlight finishes ... Good defender who shows a lot of defensive potential with his length (6'7" wingspan) and quickness (lateral speed) ... Effective pull-up jumper, though needs to add range and consistency ... Seems to raise his game against good competition, as he did at the USA U19 tryouts and with his 20 points and 7 steals against Keith Appling and Michigan State last season ... Improving court vision ... Strong rebounding point guard ... Gets to the line at a good rate (9.5 attempts per game) ... Though a junior, he's a year young for his grade giving him added intrigue ...

ayton could turn out to be one of the sleepers of this draft class. He has ideal measurables for the point guard position with excellent ball handling skills. He is an absolute terror in transition, using his speed and ball skills to get to the basket. 

He is a willing passer with good vision who excels at getting his teammates the ball in great position to finish. He is great getting into the paint, and has already shown himself to be great in isolation and pick-and-roll situations, something that will serve him well at the next level. 

Defensively is where he really shines. His height, length, and speed allowed him to matchup with multiple different positions in college. He shows a desire to lock down opponents which can not be taught, and once he adds some weight on his frame, he could be able to guard any wing position with ease. 

Also, despite being a junior, Payton is very young for his class, enrolling in college at the age of 17. He is in only two weeks older than Joel Embiid and three weeks older than Marcus Smart, so there is still a lot of room for growth. 

14 minutes ago, CoolHandGriz said:

If you're looking for realistic try Schroder's teammate - Russell Westbrook.

The Ringer has his comps as: Skinny John Wall, Donovan Mitchell, Dennis Smith Jr.

I'd be very happy if the hit either of the first two comps. There are some real concerns to Ja's game (ability to defend, shot mechanics, how he'll do against longer defenders - the FSU game was a decent preview), but I think he still has to be the pick at 2.

For me Ja is the logical pick today. I don’t know if that will be the case in late June.

Morant can pass with both hands, rebounds well for his size and has an adequate jump shot. He also turns the ball over a lot and hasn’t been tested against elite level talent. Can a 170 pound PG really dominate getting to the lane and rebounding in the NBA? I’m not sure. 

Workouts will be interesting. Barrett has NBA size, has played against the best in college basketball and put up impressive numbers in the toughest conference in college basketball. He didn’t shoot particularly well but 22 points, 7 rebounds and nearly 5 assists a game in the ACC says a lot. 

Just now, chipc3 said:

For me Ja is the logical pick today. I don’t know if that will be the case in late June.

Morant can pass with both hands, rebounds well for his size and has an adequate jump shot. He also turns the ball over a lot and hasn’t been tested against elite level talent. Can a 170 pound PG really dominate getting to the lane and rebounding in the NBA? I’m not sure. 

Workouts will be interesting. Barrett has NBA size, has played against the best in college basketball and put up impressive numbers in the toughest conference in college basketball. He did t shoot particularly well but 22 points, 7 rebounds and nearly 5 assists a game in the ACC says a lot. 

thats the way ii see it .

12 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

ii'm talking skill set as a prospect and nothing else . not  how they turn out . so go on with whatever you think elsewhere .

I've been in this forum for quite a while and seen ALOT really bad takes (lil O.J. mayo.. or trade for Samuel L Jackson ect.. )

No disrespect at all because I know we don't attack people opinions is this forum  but this one dumbest post I ever seen in quite a while.

Payton is a D leaguer and should no be compare to anyone.

Just now, costarica2 said:

I've been in this forum for quite a while and seen ALOT really bad takes (lil O.J. mayo.. or trade for Samuel L Jackson ect.. )

No disrespect at all because I know we don't attack people opinions is this forum  but this one dumbest post I ever seen in quite a while.

Payton is D league and should no be compare to anyone.

once again , i'm talking about skill set entering the draft , comparing players is silly imo . if you are still struggling to follow i'm not saying his elfrid 2.0 but that they are entering the draft with some of the same skills  and some of the same question marks .

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/6/17/5809658/elfrid-payton-scouting-report-nba-draft-2014

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2090355-elfrid-payton-nba-draft-2014-highlights-scouting-report-and-more

westbook 

Athletic and explosive combo guard with the length to make up for his lack of height … Attacks the basket with a lethal first step and crossover ability … Can handle the rock well and gets into the lane effortlessly … Finishes well at the rim and is unafraid to go up in traffic … Huge wingspan allows him to play much bigger than his 6-3 height … Gets good lift on his jumpshot and has a quick release … Solid passer with unselfishness, always looks for the open man … Has an excellent mid-range game … A gym rat, really works hard to improve Has a great attitude, extremely coach-able … Has the potential to be a bigtime scorer when given the chance … Really excels defensively and has a chance to develop into a great defender … His anticipation for steals and his on ball defensive ability are special Solid passer who shows the ability to play the point guard position …

Peyton

Tall, quick and talented offensive point guard ... Deadly first step and killer crossover allow him to get to the basket seemingly at will ... At 6'3", has ideal size for a point guard ... Quick hands and great defensive instincts allow him to get a ton of steals. Has averaged 2.4 per game over the past 2 seasons ... Great in transition. Good finisher at the rim ...Very athletic, is able to play above for highlight finishes ... Good defender who shows a lot of defensive potential with his length (6'7" wingspan) and quickness (lateral speed) ... Effective pull-up jumper, though needs to add range and consistency ... Seems to raise his game against good competition, as he did at the USA U19 tryouts and with his 20 points and 7 steals against Keith Appling and Michigan State last season ... Improving court vision ... Strong rebounding point guard ... Gets to the line at a good rate (9.5 attempts per game) ... Though a junior, he's a year young for his grade giving him added intrigue ...

maybe you can tell me how they are so far apart and nothing alike right now . no doubt a guy looking like the number 2 pick should be better than elfrid going foward but once again i'm not saying he will be elfird , just that as of right now they have some of the some pro's and con's 

8 minutes ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

once again , i'm talking about skill set entering the draft , comparing players is silly imo . if you are still struggling to follow i'm not saying his elfrid 2.0 but that they are entering the draft with some of the same skills  and some of the same question marks .

https://www.sbnation.com/2014/6/17/5809658/elfrid-payton-scouting-report-nba-draft-2014

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2090355-elfrid-payton-nba-draft-2014-highlights-scouting-report-and-more

I know what your saying I understand completely...

What I'm telling you is that comparison is really dumb it's no even close .....same Skills?? Same question marks???

Totally different players maybe they have similar hair but that's about it.

Is like me saying zion has the same question marks skills sets as stromile Swift..yes It kind of makes sense but see how bad that sounds?I