Predict #2 pick  

58 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who do you think the Memphis Grizzlies draft


  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/17/2019 at 12:00 AM

Recommended Posts

Ja...no hesitation. I can see Zion being on his way out of NO after is rookie contract. Ja seems to be the type of guy who could and would stay with us for years.  He is young and electric. It is exciting to be a griz fan again this morning. 

Go griz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who is better to build around Jaren? Barrett is an inefficient volume scorer. Ja is a dynamic explosive PG who can create his own offense and also pass the ball. Mike Conley will most certainly be traded this offseason. Ja is the answer and the PG of the future. Two things that I read today has reminded me of the draft last year. First, trading down for extra assets. Didn’t we hear that a lot of that last year to trade down for the CHI picks to get Carter and their #22 or some package from the Knicks or to move Parsons contract? Glad we didn’t do it right? Second, wasn’t there a lot of doubt on Luka because there had not been any great European wing in the past two decades? Luka has turned into a ROY favourite. And that zero star ranking out of HS on Ja is just BS. I expect our FO to have conversations with other teams but at the end of the day they are going to stay put and draft Ja Morant. He is the obvious right choice for this team, not RJ Barrett or any other player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RJ Barrett's only advantage over Ja is his size. I guess he also played against better competition, but Ja shined when the light was brightest, and had the first triple double in the NCAA tourney since Draymond had one. 

I'm afraid of a getting a Rudy Gay type player if we pick Barrett. He is OK but Jah's ceiling looks to be much higher from what I can tell. 

Point Jah! (Rasta for GOD)
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd shop it for a young establish guy with star potential. Bradley Beal and the 9 for Parsons and the 2? I think Wizards can get more for Beal, but maybe they value the cap relief. I'd also see if the 2 can get you Jaylen Brown straight up. I think Brown if he gets his own team could become a Klay Thompson type defender shooter. Not as good a shooter as Thompson, but extremely good. His numbers are skewed this year because he did not handle the beginning of the year well. After the all star break, he shot 41.2% on almost 4 attempts a game from 3. He shot 39.5% the year before. He is a very good defender.

I hate this draft. I would rather get an established player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ja is the guy! 

And paired with Jaren?!

I mean how fun is it going to be to watch these two young studs (with personality and presence might I add) develop together.  Not to mention the fact that they are both very marketable.

I think this is a huge deal for Memphis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zappastache said:

RJ Barrett's only advantage over Ja is his size. I guess he also played against better competition,
 

You guess?

He played against ranked teams 15 times.  He went for over 30 three times against highly ranked teams.

Ja played 3 games against ranked teams.  But I think he could have averaged 12ppg in the ACC with 5 assists per game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RJ Barrett when Zion was injured put up these point totals:

33 points (UNC game when Zion injured in early minutes)

30 (Syracuse)

21 (Va Tech)

19 (Miami & a blowout game)

28 (Wake)

26 (UNC)

 

In both NC games he went for 10+ rebounds.

 

I think Barrett would be a very good #2 pick (but I still lean Ja at the moment).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barrett vs Kentucky with Zion healthy: 33 points

Morant vs Morehead State: 11 points but did have 10 rebounds  (and had 16 points the other gm vs Morehead)

Morehead's record: 13-20  and  Kentucky's record: 30-7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Barrett vs Kentucky with Zion healthy: 33 points

Morant vs Morehead State: 11 points but did have 10 rebounds  (and had 16 points the other gm vs Morehead)

Morehead's record: 13-20  and  Kentucky's record: 30-7

The front office has made it known they want Ja,  it's a done deal barring a catastrophe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Barrett vs Kentucky with Zion healthy: 33 points

Morant vs Morehead State: 11 points but did have 10 rebounds  (and had 16 points the other gm vs Morehead)

Morehead's record: 13-20  and  Kentucky's record: 30-7

11, 10 and 10 for a triple double and 16, 13 and 6, and only took 8 shots. He averaged 31 mins against Morehead which is his lowest since Murray State blew them away.

Ja also had a triple double in the NCAA tourney which is a rare occurence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

The front office has made it known they want Ja,  it's a done deal barring a catastrophe 

Smart decision 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bhoyal said:

You guess?

He played against ranked teams 15 times.  He went for over 30 three times against highly ranked teams.

Ja played 3 games against ranked teams.  But I think he could have averaged 12ppg in the ACC with 5 assists per game.

 

What did Ja average against those ranked teams? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dwash said:

What did Ja average against those ranked teams? 

 

23ppg 

Not bad.  Not as impressive as RJ, but still good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

 

23ppg 

Not bad.  Not as impressive as RJ, but still good.

What about assists?  

And how did you conclude 12 and 5 in the ACC cause I dont think every ACC team is ranked. Plus his teammates would be better in the ACC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not a fan of this draft nor a fan of Ja. But to say he would only average 5 assists is crazy. The kid can pass!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Dwash said:

What about assists?  

And how did you conclude 12 and 5 in the ACC cause I dont think every ACC team is ranked. Plus his teammates would be better in the ACC.

The Haterade he drank helped him comprises those fictional numbers..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, toocoolkellz said:

The front office has made it known they want Ja,  it's a done deal barring a catastrophe 

Yep.  Mike Wallace was on radio this morning basically confirming it (90% chance its true he said).   The reason why Grizz told Ja was to avoid this Pelicans/Zion situation.    On draft night they don't want Ja to be blindsided by the pick.   Jaren famously wasn't excited about being picked by Grizz initially either.     So by telling Ja he is the pick they can start selling him on his future early and possibly get him excited.   Which also tells me that Mike is gone sooner than later.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yep.  Mike Wallace was on radio this morning basically confirming it (90% chance its true he said).   The reason why Grizz told Ja was to avoid this Pelicans/Zion situation.    On draft night they don't want Ja to be blindsided by the pick.   Jaren famously wasn't excited about being picked by Grizz initially either.     So by telling Ja he is the pick they can start selling him on his future early and possibly get him excited.   Which also tells me that Mike is gone sooner than later.  

Fair enough. Initially I though it was losing some potential leverage with Knicks, but odds they would’ve traded up for Ja instead of just taking Barrett seem very low anyways. 

Let’s the JJJJa era started. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yep.  Mike Wallace was on radio this morning basically confirming it (90% chance its true he said).   The reason why Grizz told Ja was to avoid this Pelicans/Zion situation.    On draft night they don't want Ja to be blindsided by the pick.   Jaren famously wasn't excited about being picked by Grizz initially either.     So by telling Ja he is the pick they can start selling him on his future early and possibly get him excited.   Which also tells me that Mike is gone sooner than later.  

Jaren was part of a large group of players who refused to come to Memphis to work out until his agent told him he could fall a long way if he didn't take the Grizzlies workout. So he came and got drafted 4th. That decision earned him about $3 million more than he would have if he'd fallen to 7th or 8th. 

Good move for both sides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jtown fan said:

Ja...no hesitation. I can see Zion being on his way out of NO after is rookie contract. Ja seems to be the type of guy who could and would stay with us for years.  He is young and electric. It is exciting to be a griz fan again this morning. 

Go griz

This!  He seems like he thrives in a a underdog role. Like he thrives on being underestimated.  He's a perfect fit for us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, pjs said:

One of our Grizzlies played against Ja about 15-16 months ago.  Notice what he said about him in the post-game interview.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/recap?gameId=401025821

Hint: he didn't say exactly nothing, I think he included Ja as part of the "other guys" in his "make other guys beat us" quote.

 

I remember that game Ja was behind two senior PGs at the time he didn't get to control the ball at all.

Jevon on the other hand killed it sadly he didn't show any of that last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

I remember that game Ja was behind two senior PGs at the time he didn't get to control the ball at all.

Jevon on the other hand killed it sadly he didn't show any of that last season.

I don't think so.  Ja was the starting point guard & lead the team in assists.  Jevon, being the defensive stud, was concentrating on shutting down their main threat (Jonathan Stark) and forcing the "other guys" to beat them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, pjs said:

I don't think so.  Ja was the starting point guard & lead the team in assists.  Jevon, being the defensive stud, was concentrating on shutting down their main threat (Jonathan Stark) and forcing the "other guys" to beat them.

The box score vs WVU shows Morant as a starter and scored 14 points in 36 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now