Sign in to follow this  
Teddy.B

Realistic expectations for JJJ the upcoming season.

First off, health. I hope he can play 82 games. Obviously beyond if we get there. 

Next, I hope he can stay on the floor and up his minutes above 30. Hope him being in his second year will combine into him playing smarter and the refs being more lenient regarding his fouls. 

Thirdly, his rebounding rate has to go up! His rebounding is just unacceptable for a big that wants to be great and a franchise player. 

So my tempered expectations are for him to play 82 games above 30mins with a stat line of 17, 7, 2, 2 with FG% of 52 and 36. 

What other improvements do you guys think are paramount for him? 

5 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

First off, health. I hope he can play 82 games. Obviously beyond if we get there. 

Next, I hope he can stay on the floor and up his minutes above 30. Hope him being in his second year will combine into him playing smarter and the refs being more lenient regarding his fouls. 

Thirdly, his rebounding rate has to go up! His rebounding is just unacceptable for a big that wants to be great and a franchise player. 

So my tempered expectations are for him to play 82 games above 30mins with a stat line of 17, 7, 2, 2 with FG% of 52 and 36. 

I expect him to be even better than that. Per 36 last year he averaged 19 PPG, 6.5 rebounds, 1.5 assists, 1.9 blocks, and 1.2 steals on 50% from the floor and 36% from 3. If he had played 32 minutes this year (couldn't because of fouls), he could have averaged pretty much what you hope he will average next year. I think that really bodes well for us.

First and foremost, he needs to get a hold on the foul situation. That will limit his growth if he doesn't. The less he fouls though, the more blocks and steals he will get. I would be happy with the stat line that you listed, but I hope he can average 19 points, at least 7 rebounds (and at least 2.5 offensive rebounds per game), and hopefully 2 blocks a game. If he does that while being efficient, then we can go a long way. 

20 hours ago, Teddy.B said:

72 games
17.0 PPG
7.0 RPG
2.0 APG
1.4 BPG

Fewer than 10 games fouling out! 

I want him to match KG's sophomore year numbers - 17.0 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 3.1 APG, 2.1 BPG, 1.4 SPG (so pretty similar to chip's projections above).

If we want to be a championship contender, JJJ is going to have to reach KG-level production for us to compete and I'd love to see similar growth from him year-over-year.

Also, note that KG's 2nd year in the league was Stephon Marbury's 1st year in the league where they went from a 26-win team to a 40-win playoff team. Some interesting parallels to our own team if we draft Ja.

6 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Also, note that KG's 2nd year in the league was Stephon Marbury's 1st year in the league where they went from a 26-win team to a 40-win playoff team. Some interesting parallels to our own team if we draft Ja.

Interesting..

He has to develop his body Garnet DHoward/A.Davis are good examples they came in a bit skinny and most bigs push them around at first but then develop.

He needs to get stronger in order to rebound p.s this not a one summer thing is a multi year process.

1 hour ago, ACGrizz said:

same .

Good topic.

I would be very happy with:

17 ppg

6 rpg

1.5 apg

1.5 stl

2 blks

I also agree w/ costarica2 - JJJ got to put on some more muscle.  

The points should be there with a PG like Morant dishing!

Stop chasing blocks. Or steals. Channel his in inner Battier or Rodman on defense and his inner Bird/Durant/Dirk on offense -- low post, kid post, high post, mid range, baseline, corner 3's, 35 foot bombs -- everything. Then go out and also get 7 boards and 2 assists a night whether we need it or not.

I see that most posters have about the same tempered expectations that I do.

My 17,7,2,2 are obviously points, rebounds, blks and assists. I will include steals to push his line to: 17, 7, 4, 2 with the same FG%. If he can accomplish this I like his trajectory. 

I really hope he can surpass our expectations and show the required improvements specially regarding his body and rebounding. His rebounding is key to me. 

What about skill-set? Anything you guys would like him to add or get polished at? 

What about shot totals for Jaren?

what about a high number like 25?  

10 3's, 10 in the post and 5 mid-range.  Might as well have a completely absurd shot chart!  

Those 3's can be off pick and pops, step backs, corner 3's and pull ups.  That plus his post game will set up the mid-range for he and his teammates.  

His philosophy should be "Be The Worm" on defense and "Let It Fly" on offense.

Will depend how the coach use it. If he is offensive option number one or two, then i think we can expect 20-22ppg.

My concern, even im sure he work on it, is his habit to do stupid fault which put him in trouble early in too many games. Once he fix this problem, he will be a hell of a player !!!

3 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

Great comparison!

59 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

If he is going to be a franchise player I want to see 20ppg plain and simple. 

I agree....I'm good with him keeping up with Garnett's career trajectory, but I need 20 and 10 from him by the end of year 5 for me to believe in him as a cornerstone. Garnett averaged 20 and 10 for the first time in his fourth season.

18pts 7rbs 3ast 1stl 2blk

KG said it best...the KLenard of bigs...i want him to work on his perimeter game...pull up jumpers and ballhandling...3js as a C is an allstar...3js as a ballhandling 3pt shooting perimeter 4 with a post game is HOFer.

ohh

16ppg if jv returns 18ppg if not

7rebs if jv returns 9rebs if not

38%3pt

80%Ft

3ast

1.5 stls

1.8 blocks

DPoy canidate

21 hours ago, ACGrizz said:

I want him to match KG's sophomore year numbers - 17.0 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 3.1 APG, 2.1 BPG, 1.4 SPG (so pretty similar to chip's projections above).

If we want to be a championship contender, JJJ is going to have to reach KG-level production for us to compete and I'd love to see similar growth from him year-over-year.

I had no idea when I posted my numbers that those were KG's numbers his second season.