chipc3

What is the Grizzlies Vision of The Future?

12 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I am not opposed to keeping JV for between $12 and $15 million a season (a small discount to his guaranteed contract this coming season but longer time horizon). With a top pick coming in the Grizzlies have numerous options to explore but talent will be improved regardless this season. 

JV controls his own destiny. Memphis should be open and honest about the role they see him playing and what they are willing to pay him. I believe, and I admit I am in the minority here, that JV, JJJ, Ja or RJ would be a strong lineup. Trading Conley for a future first and a player would make the team a playoff potential and reduce the impact of the Boston pick (trading Conley to Boston for our pick and Rozier and Gershon Yabule (SMU alum like me) would make me very happy but I don't know if that would work under the salary cap.  

Try messing around with trade machine or tradenba.com with Conley's salary.  It's tough to piece meal the parts together to try to get it near Conley's and it frequently kills depth on the other team or leaves a hole.

Or it is going to involve some additional teams that want their rewards for facilitating a trade.

I still the Grizzlies best play is to publicly be announcing that Conley is still their captain and that's who they are standing by (but behind the scenes, keep working those possible trades).

BUT, I completely agree with you on one thing. Since Miami trio of LBJ, Bosch and Wade was assembled most look at it as a sure formula for the success. But what if Wilt Chamberlain could play now? he wouldnt be able to start on any good team or he would be used as a utility big, cause his style of play is obsolete? Highly unlikely. Luka Doncic? Strange bird. But he is doing just fine.

You never saw Chamberlain play when he was young, he could dribble the ball between his legs when he was in college at Kansas, he was a high jumper and a long jumper as well.

Oh there is a 33 on this film, you may have heard of him, he was Lew Alcindor at this time but he changed his named to Kareem Abdul Jabbar, ever hear of him?

I don't see how they can know until they get the pieces put together. I would think they would have to know who is going to be on the team before they decide what style of ball they are going to play.

8 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Try messing around with trade machine or tradenba.com with Conley's salary.  It's tough to piece meal the parts together to try to get it near Conley's and it frequently kills depth on the other team or leaves a hole.

Or it is going to involve some additional teams that want their rewards for facilitating a trade.

I still the Grizzlies best play is to publicly be announcing that Conley is still their captain and that's who they are standing by (but behind the scenes, keep working those possible trades).

I may be wrong but I believe it will get easier to look at trades once the new NBA salary cap is released. Right now you are trying trades based on the last season's numbers. Many teams have players coming off contract who are still being counted now in their numbers. Once the new data is inputted you will find some teams that appear to be salary cap restrained are no longer. 

8 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

BUT, I completely agree with you on one thing. Since Miami trio of LBJ, Bosch and Wade was assembled most look at it as a sure formula for the success. But what if Wilt Chamberlain could play now? he wouldnt be able to start on any good team or he would be used as a utility big, cause his style of play is obsolete? Highly unlikely. Luka Doncic? Strange bird. But he is doing just fine.

You never saw Chamberlain play when he was young, he could dribble the ball between his legs when he was in college at Kansas, he was a high jumper and a long jumper as well.

Oh there is a 33 on this film, you may have heard of him, he was Lew Alcindor at this time but he changed his named to Kareem Abdul Jabbar, ever hear of him?

You didn't get my irony. Wilt was probably the best C ever, though Bill Russel and Celts were able to tame the beast. In today's NBA Wilt probably could be an MVP (he had very good long shot either). I put Wilt into conversation cause he would be the best with any trios assembled now.

And I called Luka  a strange bird. I guess, I forgot the capital B ;)

My friend, I'm new here, but I'm not a teenager. I saw another C play life many times since his youth games in the USSR spartakiad of the republics in 1980.. Yes, my eyes saw plenty. I just wanted to support chipc3 idea, that Memphis need to find their own style and type of play. Zion with Davis together in New Orleans - that will change the outlook of the whole Western Conference.

Cs and powerful PFs were caught off-guard with the NBA transition to street-ball three pointers shooting diarrhea. And bigs adjusted. Look what Jokic do.

Memphis has JV, maybe just for now, maybe for a little longer. JV adjusted to the current NBA as well. Learnt to use left hand, deadly in the paint though can shoot fade-aways. Decent three pointer shooter, can only get better. In my head I'm trying to get a vision of a possible good Memphis team RIGHT NOW. Lately, teams who went into rebuild and got high picks don't have much success. I like re-tooling over re-building much more. Doesn't matter, how talented a young kid is, he will not start ripping NBA from the get-go. Now guys in the NBA play well into their mid 30's, time ago 30+ players usually retired (maybe not Kareem). Young kids just don't have man's strength or agility or insurance or skills. They are athletic and talented. That's their starting point.

I just want a clear plan. I dont care about 2020 first round playoff, I would like a new conference final (at least) in a few years.

If we draft Morant (or Barrett) we must aim to be a contender for the top positions in two to three years with JJJ, Ja/RJ, a solid group of good players (JV, Anderson, Brooks, someone else, doesnt matter ) and ONE coach with his job not under discussion after every L

If we start next season 5-16 (it can happen with young players) and then the FO start making trades for random vets like Justin Holyday to achieve 8th place or whatever, it will all be useless.
Patience, faith, let Parsons expire and then we'll have fun in 3 years. Rush would be our enemy.

I would roll with JA, J3, Val, Dillon, Anderson as future key pieces. 

I would keep Conley,, Parsons, Bradley, CJ, and even Noah to help the young guys with the transition of being pros while strategically adding young pieces to develop.  I don't think we should trade away all our talent and be bad.  I'm cool with giving Ja and J3 years to develop before getting rid of the vets similar to what OKC and GState have done.  I would rather keep contending year to year.   Its know way we shouldn't be able to contend now to keep being a playoff team with whatever coach and system we will have.  We have a tweener All Star in Mike, 2 lottery picks and lot of vets that have had good careers.

YO

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I may be wrong but I believe it will get easier to look at trades once the new NBA salary cap is released. Right now you are trying trades based on the last season's numbers. Many teams have players coming off contract who are still being counted now in their numbers. Once the new data is inputted you will find some teams that appear to be salary cap restrained are no longer. 

Yea it's pointless right now to play with the trade machine the numbers are all wrong

11 minutes ago, JĖGAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! said:

You didn't get my irony. Wilt was probably the best C ever, though Bill Russel and Celts were able to tame the beast. In today's NBA Wilt probably could be an MVP (he had very good long shot either). I put Wilt into conversation cause he would be the best with any trios assembled now.

My friend, I'm new here, but I'm not a teenager. I saw another C play life many times since his youth games in the USSR spartakiad of the republics in 1980.. Yes, my eyes saw plenty. I just wanted to support chipc3 idea, that Memphis need to find their own style and type of play. Zion with Davis together in New Orleans - that will change the outlook of the whole Western Conference.

Cs and powerful PFs were caught off-guard with the NBA transition to street-ball three pointers shooting diarrhea. And bigs adjusted. Look what Jokic do.

Memphis has JV, maybe just for now, maybe for a little longer. JV adjusted to the current NBA as well. Learnt to use left hand, deadly in the paint though can shoot fade-aways. Decent three pointer shooter, can only get better. In my head I'm trying to get a vision of a possible good Memphis team RIGHT NOW. Lately, teams who went into rebuild and got high picks don't have much success. I like re-tooling over re-building much more. Doesn't matter, how talented a young kid is, he will not start ripping NBA from the get-go. Now guys in the NBA play well into their mid 30's, time ago 30+ players usually retired (maybe not Kareem). Young kids just don't have man's strength or agility or insurance or skills. They are athletic and talented. That's their starting point.

If JV can start shooting more 3s he starts to become great value if he can hit them at a decent rate. He's almost a 80% FT shooter so with some work there's no reason he shouldn't be able to hit them at an at least average rate. 

5 minutes ago, Myers said:

I just want a clear plan. I dont care about 2020 first round playoff, I would like a new conference final (at least) in a few years.

If we draft Morant (or Barrett) we must aim to be a contender for the top positions in two to three years with JJJ, Ja/RJ, a solid group of good players (JV, Anderson, Brooks, someone else, doesnt matter ) and ONE coach with his job not under discussion after every L

If we start next season 5-16 (it can happen with young players) and then the FO start making trades for random vets like Justin Holyday to achieve 8th place or whatever, it will all be useless.
Patience, faith, let Parsons expire and then we'll have fun in 3 years. Rush would be our enemy.

I like your "possible start 5-16". I'm long time resident of Chicago. Was here during second three championships. MJ left the town a bball became unwatchable. Coaches changed, players came and went and for the new season (don't remember which one), Bulls Hired Skyles. They started season 0-9. But I following cause i like what I saw. Guess what? Bulls made playoffs, had a good run. but it was Shaq and Wade and refs, so East was pretty much set.

With the right moves and right pieces - I think Memphis could be good next season. Oh, and those Bulls - they already had Deng, Duhon, Gordon, Curry. Just added rookies Noah and Hinrich. No need to go completely teenage happy. Keep Conley, JV, Delon, add #2 and some free veteran - and Grizzlies are good to go (maybe ;) ). Nah, not maybe. For sure.

8 minutes ago, UkGrizz said:

If JV can start shooting more 3s he starts to become great value if he can hit them at a decent rate. He's almost a 80% FT shooter so with some work there's no reason he shouldn't be able to hit them at an at least average rate. 

In some tournaments JV shot free throws at 90+% clip. He has very soft touch, I hope Grizzlies fans noticed that already. JV's long arms and shooting technique makes his mid-range "jumpers" (he doesn't jump ;) ) almost un-blockable. It's not far fetched, that he could be around 40% from the distance. Play him ~30 minutes, and he can average around 2-3 attempts per game from the distance. If JV is setting screens on perimeter and not rolling to the basket - the paint is almost empty.

As everybody else, I want to see final result going into the training camp and 20-30 games into the season. Then our discussions will have more meat to chew on.

9 minutes ago, JĖGAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! said:

With the right moves and right pieces - I think Memphis could be good next season. Oh, and those Bulls - they already had Deng, Duhon, Gordon, Curry. Just added rookies Noah and Hinrich. No need to go completely teenage happy. Keep Conley, JV, Delon, add #2 and some free veteran - and Grizzlies are good to go (maybe ;) ). Nah, not maybe. For sure.

Well, If we keep Mike is another thing of course. I assumed he was leaving , for what he said at the end of last season. 

If he's happy to stay I'm happy too...but maybe RJ is a better pick than Ja

3 minutes ago, Myers said:

Well, If we keep Mike is another thing of course. I assumed he was leaving , for what he said at the end of last season. 

If he's happy to stay I'm happy too...but maybe RJ is a better pick than Ja

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/253803/Jazz-To-Resume-Pursuit-Of-Mike-Conley-Jr-Trade-With-Grizzlies

Way too many different ways this off-season can go. good thing is - with every passing day till the training camp we will know more. Ech, eternal optimist in me ...

Keep Calm and Say Ja Man. 

On 5/16/2019 at 8:40 AM, JĖGAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!! said:

I thought you were running Chamberlain down even though I was a Cs fan, I gave him what he deserved, he was a bad man on a basketball court. I think JV will be a good asset for the Grizz, playing wise. Some people on here have the wi****is, I wish the Grizz had this or that instead of just being satisfied with what they have. They should be able to compete with the team they currently had at the end of the year. I would move MC though if possible, get that albatross off their neck.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:03 PM, SC Grizz said:

I would like to see a stated plan. Like the 3 Year Plan from back in the day. Not sure they can make this decision with the pick looming. 

Once we have a goal set - i.e. "make the playoffs in three years" then we can once again bring in players to build a winning culture. I also think we need to locate a new team leader - not necessarily lead scorer - a vet who will help the new coach with holding guys accountable. Andre Igoudala for example. If we want to blow cap forget JV bring in a player to lead.

BUMP - I was finally right!!!!