chipc3

What is the Grizzlies Vision of The Future?

I know. Everyone will say the Front Office can't announce their vision until after the lottery but that is very short term in nature. 

How does this front office see the team playing in 3-5 years? Do they want to play super fast i.e. Mike D'Antoni style in Houston? Do they want a team that can spread the court at least four positions like Golden State and Milwaukee. Do they want be a defensive powerhouse with a lot of 3 and D guys on the wings and big center like Toronto apparently does? Do they want to load up with talent via the draft and see what they end up with like Philly? 

What do you want the Grizzlies vision of the future be? 

I would like to see the team try and do something different than every other team. I'd like to see them get more athletic overall while maintaining an unique personality (like Grit and Grind) where team's hate to come to Memphis to play because they don't play like anyone else. I believe that following the crowd is a losing proposition for years to come. We don't have anyone on this team right now that could start on Houston, Golden State or Milwaukee. Why should we try to emulate those teams? We'll just be second best to all of them and end the season hoping to be first round fodder in the playoffs or get lucky in the draft (which with the new lottery rules is even a larger lucky break than before). 

The team needs to hire an X's and O's coach who will tell the young players where to be on the court and hold them accountable to do what they are supposed to do. No more free-lance basketball. Be a team not a collection of individuals. With the new direction of most teams in the league the front office should be able to find a ton of players who fit a different mold and get them inexpensively since no one else is going to want them. 

In the end it doesn't really matter if they do this or go in a different direction AS LONG AS THEY HAVE A CONSISTENT VISION. The need to build a culture here that everyone buys into from the front office down to the coaches to the players and even to the water boys. Frankly it would be nice if they could announce that vision to the fans as well so we can get behind them and support it. 

Can you give examples of players you would target under your vision? Just curious what you see as players that may be overlooked under the current trends of the NBA.

Just kidding above. Anyway, I think it's pretty bad that the NBA has devolved to where fans are asking for X's and O's coaches. That used to be something you only heard in high school basketball. 

#1 thing for me is F.O. consistency. You can't have a good team without a good F.O. and we don't have a good F.O,.

5 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Just kidding above. Anyway, I think it's pretty bad that the NBA has devolved to where fans are asking for X's and O's coaches. That used to be something you only heard in high school basketball. 

#1 thing for me is F.O. consistency. You can't have a good team without a good F.O. and we don't have a good F.O,.

We just got a new front office more or less. We need to see how they do before we decide if they are good or not. 

As far as vision, who knows. Obviously something similar to what the bucks are or what Denver is would work best for us. Then again we have no idea where this team will be personnel wise in just a little over a month. Conley could be gone, avery could be gone, JV could be gone, Parsons will hopefully be gone. Again we just don't know. 

4 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Amen. You can't be successful with a needlessly reactionary front office, such as the one(s) that did the following over the last decade:

-trading a FRP for literally five games of Ronnie Brewer

-trading a FRP that could turn out to be a top-4 pick for Jeff Green

-trading useful bench players AND a FRP for Jon. freaking. Leuer

-refusing to trade Tyreke for a 2nd round pick and Emmanuel Mudiay (a 23-year old who made less than $5m this year and averaged 14.8 pts, 3.3 reb and 3.9 ast)

-failing to communicate on the correct Brooks...then somehow trying to remedy it by trading said Brooks and TWO second-round picks for a 30-year old "shooter" who averages...38.9% from the field

Sure there is, we have one of the longest serving fo member in the nba. 

He was GM through two owners than put to the side, then put back in power then moved to the scouting department. 

He will once again be reinstated once this fo gets a little heat. 

No, self-respecting franchise would tolerate this mess or care less about its fan base to shuffle top management around like a game of musical chairs. 

16 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

We just got a new front office more or less. We need to see how they do before we decide if they are good or not. 

The F.O. is unqualified. The other 29 teams would laugh at the idea of having Wexler and Kleiman as their top 2 guys. Heck, they are probably all giddy over the idea of fleecing these two in trades. It's like a guy that never played cards sitting down in a high stake poker game. Sure pal, ante up!

The future will greatly depend on what happens this offseason.   Lots of variables in place that make it difficult to settle on a "clear direction" until the dust settles.   Draft pick status, Conley decision,  and Free Agency are the most discussed.   But there is another one.... It is very possible that the Western Conference Championship Gate Keepers (GSW) finally fall. 

If HOU finishes them this series then i don't see any new team in the West emerging to replace their dominance.  (Unless Kawhi and AD join forces on LAC (Thx for creating that nightmare scenario for me Dwash!))   Otherwise I don't see Lebron getting real help at that circus.    GSW lose and they def will lose KD.    Houston doesn't scare me longterm.  Portland?? Denver?? Utah?? none of them.   I just don't see any team being able to reach the unbeatable heights of GSW and Prime Lebron teams.    KD and Davis could also go East and combined with Giannis and Embiid totally shift balance of power.  

A more wide open Western conference may tilt FO towards a shorter rebuild.  What direction should they go in with no more Juggernauts in the West??

9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

The future will greatly depend on what happens this offseason.   Lots of variables in place that make it difficult to settle on a "clear direction" until the dust settles.   Draft pick status, Conley decision,  and Free Agency are the most discussed.   But there is another one.... It is very possible that the Western Conference Championship Gate Keepers (GSW) finally fall. 

If HOU finishes them this series then i don't see any new team in the West emerging to replace their dominance.  (Unless Kawhi and AD join forces on LAC (Thx for creating that nightmare scenario for me Dwash!))   Otherwise I don't see Lebron getting real help at that circus.    GSW lose and they def will lose KD.    Houston doesn't scare me longterm.  Portland?? Denver?? Utah?? none of them.   I just don't see any team being able to reach the unbeatable heights of GSW and Prime Lebron teams.    KD and Davis could also go East and combined with Giannis and Embiid totally shift balance of power.  

A more wide open Western conference may tilt FO towards a shorter rebuild.  What direction should they go in with no more Juggernauts in the West??

I typically agree with you GTF, but I think the overall REACTIVE nature of your post is the our biggest problem. Let's see what happens and respond. Let's let others implement their plans and we can see what's left for us to do. Let's see what everyone else's plan is and then create one of our own based on that. 

I do agree that tribal knowledge is key to creating a plan. But we should have a FO that knows what is best for the Grizzlies (to compete, for Memphis, the community, etc). Create a plan for us, communicate it, and all moves moving forward support and supplement that plan. This makes a leader.

I guess it can be argued that the Memphis "small market" Grizzlies cannot be a leader in this league (I doubt the Spurs or the Lakers give 2 ***** what the Grizzlies are doing), but a proactive FO armed with a thoroughly vetted plan would be my wish for the vision of this franchise. You can always adjust like a good coach at halftime. But starting the game without a plan waiting to see what the other team is doing is a losing proposition.

1 minute ago, BLUEandGOLD said:

I typically agree with you GTF, but I think the overall REACTIVE nature of your post is the our biggest problem. Let's see what happens and respond. Let's let others implement their plans and we can see what's left for us to do. Let's see what everyone else's plan is and then create one of our own based on that. 

I do agree that tribal knowledge is key to creating a plan. But we should have a FO that knows what is best for the Grizzlies (to compete, for Memphis, the community, etc). Create a plan for us, communicate it, and all moves moving forward support and supplement that plan. This makes a leader.

I guess it can be argued that the Memphis "small market" Grizzlies cannot be a leader in this league (I doubt the Spurs or the Lakers give 2 ***** what the Grizzlies are doing), but a proactive FO armed with a thoroughly vetted plan would be my wish for the vision of this franchise. You can always adjust like a good coach at halftime. But starting the game without a plan waiting to see what the other team is doing is a losing proposition.

Yes the scenario i presented is 100% reactive - no argument from me.    but to be fair i think it's difficult to make a decision until we know what's happening with our pick first.    The pick and Conley are the biggest dominoes.    I hope that FO has a plan A B C and D but stating a Vision before those two Huge Dominoes fall could be worse than saying nothing at all. 

For example - If they state our goal is to be a playoff team next year - then Conley forces a trade and we get #4 pick. That team vision  would come off as silly.   Then we would be in danger of them making short sighted moves(Holiday trade) to save face again.   

One thing for sure that they have stated is theyre invested in developing Jaren.     Does that count?

1 hour ago, ACGrizz said:

Can you give examples of players you would target under your vision? Just curious what you see as players that may be overlooked under the current trends of the NBA.

Well from what GTF and others have said today Jonas would be an overlooked player. He puts up 20/10 in Memphis and some posters don't think that is worthwhile. Perhaps his value around the league is as low as they suggest and the Grizzlies could re-sign him cheap. 

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

Hubie Brown was an X's and O's coach. Today's game has devolved into a AAU style open court do your own thing. I think the Grizzlies would be well served to bring in a different approach that demands players execute their roles and run precise plays. 

And I agree 100% on consistency being vital in the front office. I don't know if the current front office is good or not yet. I am hoping they are an improvement over the previous front office.  

1 hour ago, Rdk4121 said:

As far as vision, who knows. Obviously something similar to what the bucks are or what Denver is would work best for us. Then again we have no idea where this team will be personnel wise in just a little over a month. Conley could be gone, avery could be gone, JV could be gone, Parsons will hopefully be gone. Again we just don't know. 

I realize a lot has to be figured out in the short run. What I was wondering is what do you want the team to become? What do you see as the ultimate objective (outside of just being successful). What is it about Denver and Milwaukee that you like? 

I agree our "plan" should not be based on a style of play. We should be reactive as when we stumbled in to "grit and grind" and over the succeding seasons gave playoff teams considerable problems. For this reason a drafting theme should be flexibility. Jaren is a model of this. He will one day be undefensible for 4's or 5's. We could then pair him with a big or a stretch 4. 

I would like to see a stated plan. Like the 3 Year Plan from back in the day. Not sure they can make this decision with the pick looming. 

Once we have a goal set - i.e. "make the playoffs in three years" then we can once again bring in players to build a winning culture. I also think we need to locate a new team leader - not necessarily lead scorer - a vet who will help the new coach with holding guys accountable. Andre Igoudala for example. If we want to blow cap forget JV bring in a player to lead.

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I realize a lot has to be figured out in the short run. What I was wondering is what do you want the team to become? What do you see as the ultimate objective (outside of just being successful). What is it about Denver and Milwaukee that you like? 

Milwaukee depends on how Jaren develops. If he can giving even something similar to what Giannis gives you, you can build the rest of your offense with shooters around him and go from there. They are just long and versatile as well, which helps on defense, which is something I think we aren't too far off with. Denver is just the overall movement on offense, the ball never really gets stuck. But they also have people that can create their own shots off the dribble, and in the pick and roll game. I think we can do something like that with Kyle running the offense a lot, mainly being involved in pick and rolls as either the ball handler or the screener. 

5 minutes ago, Rdk4121 said:

Milwaukee depends on how Jaren develops. If he can giving even something similar to what Giannis gives you, you can build the rest of your offense with shooters around him and go from there. They are just long and versatile as well, which helps on defense, which is something I think we aren't too far off with. Denver is just the overall movement on offense, the ball never really gets stuck. But they also have people that can create their own shots off the dribble, and in the pick and roll game. I think we can do something like that with Kyle running the offense a lot, mainly being involved in pick and rolls as either the ball handler or the screener. 

Those are two interesting propositions. I prefer the Denver model personally because you can't really expect anyone to just take over the role of Giannis. He's the Greek Freak for a reason after all. 

Teams now have to form a Fab Five. Five high level talents that fit well together. 

Philly has the Embiid and Simmons combo, Harris/Reddick, and Jimmy Butler who is perfect for them right now, and might just drag Philly to the ECF (or further) by himself.

Raps have Lowry/Danny Green in the backcourt with two freakish forwards in Kawhi and Siakam at forward (our best model with Jaren/Bruno) and Marc Gasol inside.

Golden State was loaded. Less so now with a hurt Durant.  

Future?  

Same for everyone else.

Cord cutting.

No mega stars.

Declining attendance.

Ping pong balls bouncing the wrong way. 

The Golden Age of the ABA is finally here!

Ill give you my idea after I see where we land Tuesday 

11 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

Ill give you my idea after I see where we land Tuesday 

Ha!

Same here!

I really want to keep the pick.  

If we don't get 1, then 8 would allow us to really role the dice.

Gut feeling: if the Celts get our pick then I think they win the draft.  Awesome year to have 9, 14, 20, 22 and second rounders even though Zion is the "big prize".

I really want Sekou/Samanic/scoring guard/wing as a draft night triple threat.

I would like to see us overpay to get a free agent each year only to have them miss much of the first year with an injury.  Solid plus if injuries also keep them out a good part of their 2nd and possibly 3rd year as well.

I feel like it is tradition.

18 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I would like to see us overpay to get a free agent each year only to have them miss much of the first year with an injury.  Solid plus if injuries also keep them out a good part of their 2nd and possibly 3rd year as well.

I feel like it is tradition.

Bonus points If said player misses every game for 3 straight years yet is officially listed as a "Game-Time Decision" for each game.  Gotta screw it up for fantasy basketball and gambling too.