Gogrizz123

Is there any news on if JV is gonna sign with the grizzlies

17 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

For people, who are saying, 3J can play at 5.

Can you imagine 3J against JV at 5?

...exactly.

Who would guard who better?  JV is big and strong, but Jaren is a good defender and shot blocker.  With Jaren on offense I don't think that JV would be able to stay with him all over the court with Jaren's perimeter ablity as well as his ability to drive.  It is true that Jaren struggles with big strong players, but he is just 19 years old.  His body will mature and he will become bigger and stronger.

18 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

No argument here about many of your points. Just because a lot of teams overpay guys doesn't mean I want us to continue to be one of them. I wouldn't pay Marc Gasol $10 M either.

For 10 mil/yr where are you going to find a C that has 7 years of regular season and playoff experience, who is literally a double double machine, who is entering his prime years, who is a fan favorite, who can motivate and mentor other players on and off the floor, who is a "character guy" and will be a great ambassador for the Grizzlies in the Memphis community? His defense is improving every year and he's still working on improving his his 3 point %. You have seen what he can do after 19 games with the Grizzlies. Can you imagine what he could do playing with a healthy and more talented Grizzlies roster? Waiting for your list of names of 10 mil/yr C's available (with JV's credentials) ...

F'real GamesOn. And for anyone saying he's a defensive liability, will be unplayable in the playoffs. Well guess what, we'd have to make the playoffs first for that to happen.

These are the facts; JV has already been a major contributor to a team that won 50+ games multiple years in a row, division banners, a deep playoff run. Which is more than the Grizz can say they've done. Besides he was not the major reason why the Raps lost. He's a proven guy and one of the better centers in the league. For the right price you keep him. 15 mill sounds about right and really it's a drop in the bucket salary wise, especially by years 3 and 4.

6 hours ago, GameOn said:

For 10 mil/yr where are you going to find a C that has 7 years of regular season and playoff experience, who is literally a double double machine, who is entering his prime years, who is a fan favorite, who can motivate and mentor other players on and off the floor, who is a "character guy" and will be a great ambassador for the Grizzlies in the Memphis community? His defense is improving every year and he's still working on improving his his 3 point %. You have seen what he can do after 19 games with the Grizzlies. Can you imagine what he could do playing with a healthy and more talented Grizzlies roster? Waiting for your list of names of 10 mil/yr C's available (with JV's credentials) ...

The way I look at this is that we have two bigs that are pretty much guaranteed to return next year - Jaren and Ivan. 

No one knows today if Jaren's long term position is Center or PF. However, Jaren has been deemed the face of the franchise - for better or worse.

IMO paying JV $15 M/year over 4 years would be a very dumb move for this franchise if your main guy potentially plays the exact same position (remember having rookie Marc and drafting Thabeet?). 

If we decide we must add a Center here are guys I would pursue before JV, at a much lower price. Please understand I do not want ANY $15M/year Center not named Cousins or Vuc.

Cheap rotation bigs to sign to 2 year contracts:

Kyle O'Quinn or Jahil Okafor.

I would also look at PFs since we don't know where Jaren will play:

Thomas Bryant or Jabari Parker

I would spend our money on a shooter or scoring guard.

8 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

The way I look at this is that we have two bigs that are pretty much guaranteed to return next year - Jaren and Ivan. 

No one knows today if Jaren's long term position is Center or PF. However, Jaren has been deemed the face of the franchise - for better or worse.

IMO paying JV $15 M/year over 4 years would be a very dumb move for this franchise if your main guy potentially plays the exact same position (remember having rookie Marc and drafting Thabeet?). 

If we decide we must add a Center here are guys I would pursue before JV, at a much lower price. Please understand I do not want ANY $15M/year Center not named Cousins or Vuc.

When is the last time we had a real SG?

10 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

When is the last time we had a real SG?

Mike Miller the first time around or past his prime Eddie Jones? TA was a great SG of course but not a traditional SG in the sense of scoring buckets. 

On 5/11/2019 at 10:58 AM, I❤️JV said:

For people, who are saying, 3J can play at 5.

Can you imagine 3J against JV at 5?

...exactly.

Can you imagine him against Gasol, Embiid, Jokic or Kanter?

On 5/11/2019 at 6:19 PM, SC Grizz said:

I wouldn't be calling Ivan a big. The BIG guys just muscle him out of their way. 

9 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Can you imagine him against Gasol, Embiid, Jokic or Kanter?

He will be better than 2 on that list next season easily even at center.  The other two are not being stopped by anyone including JV.

JV is clearly a 5.   JJJ is a stretch 4 or at least for now is.  They should both be here and be starters.

Can it really be just that simple?   Actually,  yes.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:19 PM, SC Grizz said:

I'd say we do and it's Center. As soon as he packs on a few lbs of muscle he'll be there for good.

We should let Jaren play the 4 for as long as he can. At some point down the line, he will certainly be the 5. That shouldn't be a question. How long he plays the 4 depends on his body, and personnel around him. Right now, JV is better than any 4 we can pair with him, so that Jaren's best fit. 

5 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

We should let Jaren play the 4 for as long as he can. At some point down the line, he will certainly be the 5. That shouldn't be a question. How long he plays the 4 depends on his body, and personnel around him. Right now, JV is better than any 4 we can pair with him, so that Jaren's best fit. 

I agree. JJJ is not ready for the 5 anytime soon

The problem with Jaren at 4 is teams just go small and he has to guard small forwards in space which leads to him reaching and fouling.

17 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

The problem with Jaren at 4 is teams just go small and he has to guard small forwards in space which leads to him reaching and fouling.

I do agree with this but if they go small can’t we just slide him to 5 in our “small lineup”

We should keep JV for sure. The point is at what price?  It's not easy to attract good player for many reasons so when we got one who play well, seems to be happy to be here, this is something we have to consider. But as he is still young, we should offer him a longer contract with less money. Then we have a great guy to help JJJ to become better.    

JJJ body is still developing if history tell us anything (Anthony Davis,D Howard)once he hits 21 he should be able to play the 5.

8 hours ago, MemphisX said:

The advantage of Jaren is when teams go small you move him to the five. When they go big you use him as a stretch four. He's versatile enough to handle switches defensively once he learns not to reach so much.  

If we draft Ja then I would reconsider the JV thing. I'd still prefer $11-12 per year maybe three year deal. You bring him back though as a safety valve for a rookie PG.

2 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

If we draft Ja then I would reconsider the JV thing. I'd still prefer $11-12 per year maybe three year deal. You bring him back though as a safety valve for a rookie PG.

JV is going to be an integral piece of this team moving forward.

the grizzlies must sign jv now after landing the number 2 pick 

Im actually not sure.    Ja + Jaren would be an insanely athletic duo.   Plenty of speed and athleticism surround them with shooters and another athletic Big.      

Would you all really want a traditional big in the post?