Gogrizz123

Is there any news on if JV is gonna sign with the grizzlies

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, rc0213 said:

Being that Grizzlies are still in rebuilding mode, and JV would be expecting a longer contract, we would have to pay JV more than we need to, just to have a big guy on the inside.  I think we can trade for someone, that could hit from the outside and play under the goal.  JV just doesn't shoot from the outside, which IMHO, we would be overpaying JV for anything over $10 million a year. 

I would love Z-Bo to come back as a player developer.  He can teach the young players how to rebound. 

You would be underpaying at 10mil a year for what he gives you. Get out of here with that crap 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grizball said:

I think the value of true center is at an all time low, and that might be good news to FO in re-signing JV. I still want him back because I think his presence would help Jaren and the team, but I don’t want them to overpay him. 3 years deal at 13-14M per would be the most I think FO should pay him. This team needs all the cap flexibility they can get to help facilitate future deals to acquire assets.

Yep, NBA Champ Raptors pay two centers almost $49M/year..they have the flex to go with big man who clogs up the middle and more agile guy..but both hit the boards hard and protect the rim...their average age is 32 so both came up as traditional 5 guys....what do you suggest we pay our 5's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lugan Village said:

Yep, NBA Champ Raptors pay two centers almost $49M/year..they have the flex to go with big man who clogs up the middle and more agile guy..but both hit the boards hard and protect the rim...their average age is 32 so both came up as traditional 5 guys....what do you suggest we pay our 5's?

Both can hit 3s and are better defenders than JV there's a reason they traded him.

I'm not really opposed to whatever number they end up on offering JV per year, it's just the number of years which had the potential to be an issue. I'd have been happy if he opted in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need a physical presence in the post.  JV is it.  JJJ as Ja won't solve that problem.  In the future JJJ may be the answer  at the 5.  But he isn't now.  We saw that Rabb couldn't do it last season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 12:10 AM, grizzgolf said:

I agree. JJJ is not ready for the 5 anytime soon

Heard Anthony Sain (Memphis Flyer) mention on radio that Jaren's people prefer him playing at PF.  If that is the case and that has been communicated to FO.  Then it makes a ton of sense to resign Jonas.   We already know that Jonas compliments Jaren from a skillset standpoint.   Because he is perfectly happy to rebound and bang in the paint. 

 I wouldn't be surprised that a big reason why JJJ was in the post majority of last season was to accommodate Marc.    We all know he does not prefer playing in the paint much at all. 

If Sain's statement is true then i see the logic in retaining Jonas and why he would pick Memphis over other destinations(even during our rebuild).   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Heard Anthony Sain (Memphis Flyer) mention on radio that Jaren's people prefer him playing at PF.  If that is the case and that has been communicated to FO.  Then it makes a ton of sense to resign Jonas.   We already know that Jonas compliments Jaren from a skillset standpoint.   Because he is perfectly happy to rebound and bang in the paint. 

 I wouldn't be surprised that a big reason why JJJ was in the post majority of last season was to accommodate Marc.    We all know he does not prefer playing in the paint much at all. 

If Sain's statement is true then i see the logic in retaining Jonas and why he would pick Memphis over other destinations(even during our rebuild).   

Finally you come on board with the JJJ being a four not a five. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, IdrinkGuinness said:

I agree . and we can get a bad contract without ruining anything if they are expiring . i think a lot of posters think a salary dump means an awful player and that's not true at all. 

A lot have teams spent the last two seasons regaining control of their salary spending. This is always proven by the percentage of players that opt out if they are able to. Prior to the last two seasons a small percentage failed to opt in, and the last two years more have opted out looking for better deals. There are less teams desperate enough to have salary dumps if the player can still produce. They will also be less likely to dump a bum with a draft pick attached. It is easy to see that Memphis would not give a 1st round pick away to dump Parsons, but some expect another team to do the equivalent. Teams are more likely to sign a good free agent than to get a good player in a salary dump at the present time. With more free agents there will be more teams holding on to their cap space. In a couple of years it will probably change back again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

He’s another Jam Green but older. I know we are trying to rebuild but he is not a suitable rebuild piece: 

Wouldn't want him to be a rebuild piece. More of a stopgap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

I still don’t get the logic. Listen, we can save money all we want. I don’t care how far Jaren is from being an actual NBA player who plays 30mpg. 

Even when he reaches that point it would be nice to have elite level talent next to him. I’m talking real starters, real bench players, etc. 

It also makes more sense to have hat now rather than later. He is going to have to learn how to play with better talent eventually so why not now.

I don’t agree with making him or Ja a 1-2 punch for three years and then surrounding them with pieces. 

AD went through the same crap. Give them good pieces to work with from the beginning that project to be in line with their development. 

I agree with what you're saying as far as getting good players around them. I am also a little more patient than you. One of the mistakes a lot of teams make is trying to go too fast. Then you settle on a B- player this offseason, only to see a A level player become available during the season. The key is not to settle for someone just because you can get them. Get the right fit, the right talent level. Be ready for when they become available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Heard Anthony Sain (Memphis Flyer) mention on radio that Jaren's people prefer him playing at PF.  If that is the case and that has been communicated to FO.  Then it makes a ton of sense to resign Jonas.   We already know that Jonas compliments Jaren from a skillset standpoint.   Because he is perfectly happy to rebound and bang in the paint. 

 I wouldn't be surprised that a big reason why JJJ was in the post majority of last season was to accommodate Marc.    We all know he does not prefer playing in the paint much at all. 

If Sain's statement is true then i see the logic in retaining Jonas and why he would pick Memphis over other destinations(even during our rebuild).   

Yep that's what I've been saying for a while, the best position for Jaren to make an impact, and for his career progression is playing @ PF, not C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Father Pat said:

A lot have teams spent the last two seasons regaining control of their salary spending. This is always proven by the percentage of players that opt out if they are able to. Prior to the last two seasons a small percentage failed to opt in, and the last two years more have opted out looking for better deals. There are less teams desperate enough to have salary dumps if the player can still produce. They will also be less likely to dump a bum with a draft pick attached. It is easy to see that Memphis would not give a 1st round pick away to dump Parsons, but some expect another team to do the equivalent. Teams are more likely to sign a good free agent than to get a good player in a salary dump at the present time. With more free agents there will be more teams holding on to their cap space. In a couple of years it will probably change back again.

And yet, for all of the bellyaching, Mike Conley never cost the grizzlies a thing. He first took an under-valued contract and played it into submission, although it was perceived at the time to be a huge deal for a player that hadn't earned it. Next he helped the grizzlies to 7 straight playoff appearances, and 1 WCF appearance. He often played in pain that most players would never conceive of playing in. Then he became a part of one of the most recognizable squads: gng, the core four, and afterwards he signed the largest contract in nba history, and this (according to most) seemed to be the moment that Mike Conley would finally short-change the grizzlies, but no: he had two of his best seasons as a pro, and then he accelerated the grizzlies rebuild, by getting them 2 first round picks, cap relief and several players that could be flipped in the future, plus another recent first round pick. Mind, you, no other player from that FA year has been able to show THAT much worth, and even in the history of all major sports, when is the last time a player got a huge deal and was still tradeable for assets afterwards: not many.

Mike Conley has done nothing but make the grizzlies better, we should rename this forum as Mike Conley's Grizzlies Online Fan Forum, and should bow down to his greatness for this team. Mike Conley lived up to everything he was ever given in Memphis and more.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

And yet, for all of the bellyaching, Mike Conley never cost the grizzlies a thing. He first took an under-valued contract and played it into submission, although it was perceived at the time to be a huge deal for a player that hadn't earned it. Next he helped the grizzlies to 7 straight playoff appearances, and 1 WCF appearance. He often played in pain that most players would never conceive of playing in. Then he became a part of one of the most recognizable squads: gng, the core four, and afterwards he signed the largest contract in nba history, and this (according to most) seemed to be the moment that Mike Conley would finally short-change the grizzlies, but no: he had two of his best seasons as a pro, and then he accelerated the grizzlies rebuild, by getting them 2 first round picks, cap relief and several players that could be flipped in the future, plus another recent first round pick. Mind, you, no other player from that FA year has been able to show THAT much worth, and even in the history of all major sports, when is the last time a player got a huge deal and was still tradeable for assets afterwards: not many.

Mike Conley has done nothing but make the grizzlies better, we should rename this forum as Mike Conley's Grizzlies Online Fan Forum, and should bow down to his greatness for this team. Mike Conley lived up to everything he was ever given in Memphis and more.    

I was on this forum for 5 min. and could recognise contribution Mike made to the Grizz.

Honestly i was shocked to read opinions from members with 1000's of comments about Mike.

Where is the love and respect he so richly deserves as an awesome player and even better human?

Mike Conley is a HERO and i know for a fact that Jonas will miss him a lot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

I was on this forum for 5 min. and could recognise contribution Mike made to the Grizz.

Honestly i was shocked to read opinions from members with 1000's of comments about Mike.

Where is the love and respect he so richly deserves as an awesome player and even better human?

Mike Conley is a HERO and i know for a fact that Jonas will miss him a lot.

 

And yet some people on this board can't wait to have a true all star: ja, take over. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what are we waiting for now re JV? 

What other potential deals in the league might be holding up his decision or our offer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TimBC said:

So what are we waiting for now re JV? 

What other potential deals in the league might be holding up his decision or our offer?

Waiting on July 1st (although possibly late night June 30th deals can be announced).

 

I don't think any signings can be announced or implied before that date for UFA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 9:37 AM, Kevin B Moses said:

And yet some people on this board can't wait to have a true all star: ja, take over. lol

Mike was good. But one season of Ja avg 15-8 immediately will show you that Mike was borderline all star at best. 

It took him 5 years to develop. Ja if he’s as good as we think he is will be in ROY conversation and avg 7apg lol. 

Heck Mike never avg more than 6apg in his career lol. Ja is already a better point guard in that regard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TimBC said:

So what are we waiting for now re JV? 

What other potential deals in the league might be holding up his decision or our offer?

The main deal holding up everything is we can’t offer him anything until July 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grizzfan7979 said:

I'd be ok with JV at 12m/year. Anything more than that I think we'll be kicking ourselves. 

Yea no. Let’s offer JV bench player money why don’t we (Delon wright) 

New CBA pretty much makes JV worth 15-18 mil. If he makes a little more I wouldn’t be against it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wexler stated on the Vernon show that JV is a huge jersey seller.  He's definitely getting reigned for sure or an attempt to. Those of you who are against it,  you might as well get accustomed to seeing him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 9:21 AM, I❤️JV said:

I was on this forum for 5 min. and could recognise contribution Mike made to the Grizz.

Honestly i was shocked to read opinions from members with 1000's of comments about Mike.

Where is the love and respect he so richly deserves as an awesome player and even better human?

Mike Conley is a HERO and i know for a fact that Jonas will miss him a lot.

 

 

On 6/25/2019 at 9:37 AM, Kevin B Moses said:

And yet some people on this board can't wait to have a true all star: ja, take over. lol

No one here has spoke ill of Mike,  i think that those of us that understand relationships in the nba have a expiration date and Mike's was fast approaching.  We'll always have love for the core four but holding on,  no matter how tight,  will eventually end no matter what you do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2019 at 12:33 PM, Memphis Maverick said:

Heck Mike never avg more than 6apg in his career lol. Ja is already a better point guard in that regard. 

 

Hold on ...

Until there is a stat that takes point blank set ups that were totally blown by the recipient- kind of hard to say .

 I mean I’m pretty sure that even I could throw lobs in the direction of the rim and some go go gadget unicorn could smash.

 Could prolly hit Steph or Klay too ...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 10SC-2-TOKYO said:

 

Hold on ...

Until there is a stat that takes point blank set ups that were totally blown by the recipient- kind of hard to say .

 I mean I’m pretty sure that even I could throw lobs in the direction of the rim and some go go gadget unicorn could smash.

 Could prolly hit Steph or Klay too ...

 

 

Eh, Mikes never been a playmaker. He’s been a old school guard that dictates offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KBM is bsing about Conley's contract situation. He was completely overpaid for what he and proven on that first contract and was overpaid with the max.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 years at whatever would be ok for Jonas.  If we do a 4th year, hopefully it's a team option.  We will probably roll these guys out, see what we have, then find out what we need to get -- and start making some moves.

If we pay anyone other than JV/Delon I would like to see shorter contracts (closer to 3 years) than 4 year deals.  MOST of these longer deals are gonna blow up in the teams' faces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now