Gogrizz123

Is there any news on if JV is gonna sign with the grizzlies

18 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

+1000  

Jonas or Jonas Type player is good to have in your 9 man rotation.  But its hard to justify paying a lot for a traditional Center that isn't a defensive anchor.  

I believe in building a team where your Top 3 scorers (highest paid guys) are always playable.    There was no situation where LeBron, Wade, and Bosh couldn't play.  Same for Pierce, Ray, and KG.   

I want my two main primary scorers to not be undersized or bad athletes.  I am more lenient with the 3rd wheel but he should be versatile enough to stay on floor as well.     

That's whats great about Jaren.  He can play in any lineup or style because he is athletic, mobile, and can shoot.   Of our current under contract guys only Dillon and Bruno possibly fit that profile.  

I hope you are correct about JJJ.  I want him to be what you and others envision. 

So far all I have seen is a foul prone, weak rebounding, occasional offensive force who can't stay on the court. The talent is definitely there but is the head? Does he have the drive to succeed and become one of the best players in the league? We are talking about the player who played 58 games and averaged 13.7 PPG and 4.7 RPG last season right? 

Bruno and Dillon are also inured players who have not shown a ton of actual basketball knowledge. Dillon looks to be an aggressive if undersized small forward who started well his rookie season but did he improve in his second year? His PER numbers are not encouraging, his scoring went down and his FG% did as well. TO me he looks like not much more than a high shot player on a bad team.  

Caboclo has bounced around the league(s) and may actually finally be finding himself but I want to see a lot more improvement overall from him. I hope he plays summer league because he needs experience and practice time with the coaches. 

Jonas is old school I'll admit but to act like this guy is chopped liver and not worth a contract in the mid-teen millions is silly in my eyes. Of course, it all depends on the mysterious front office and what their vision is. Right now they only appear to have a long term vision out to Tuesday. After the lottery maybe we will hear what their plan is. Maybe not. Either way, until we know what the vision is for this team from the front office it is difficult to discuss what the team should be doing. 

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I hope you are correct about JJJ. So far all I have seen is a foul prone, weak rebounding, occasional offensive force who can't stay on the court. The talent is definitely there but is the head? Does he have the drive to succeed and become one of the best players in the league? We are talking about the player who played 58 games and averaged 13.7 PPG and 4.7 RPG last season right? 

Bruno and Dillon are also inured players who have not shown a ton of actual basketball knowledge. Dillon looks to be an aggressive if undersized small forward who started well his rookie season but did he improve in his second year? His PER numbers are not encouraging for him to be much more than a high shot player on a bad team.  Bruno has bounced around the league(s) and may actually finally be finding himself but I want to see a lot more improvement overall from him. I hope he plays summer league because he needs experience and practice time with the coaches. 

Jonas is old school I'll admit but to act like this guy is chopped liver and not worth a contract in the mid-teen millions is silly in my eyes. Of course, it all depends on the mysterious front office and what their vision is. Right now they only appear to have a long term vision out to Tuesday. 

I don't view Jonas as "chopped liver".  He is a good player.    Its just if the goal is become a contender eventually, with him as a major contributor, that is not wise.    As the playoffs are showing the only Big men that are having an impact are ones that can space floor, defend and play-make.    Otherwise they are purely situational.   That's why TOR traded him in the first place.   

I am not counting Dillon and Bruno as some foundation pieces.  I am strictly judging them based on what they have shown.    Both shoot at a decent clip and mostly can defend their positions.   Dillon is slightly undersized height-wise but he is strong and athletic enough to guard both wing spots.   Both also have solid shooting mechanics to continue improving.     I can see them in the rotation during playoffs. because they are both 2way players. 

JJJ was a rookie.   His production was really good for a first year pro and his potential is off the charts.   I see no reason to question his BBIQ, heart desire or drive based off his rookie campaign.   If the dagger he dropped on Lebron and fearlessness he showed in multiple games doesn't show you the desire and drive to succeed.     If the fact that KG said he wanted to mentor Jaren because he sees alot of himself in him.   Then i don't know what to tell you.   

21 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I hope you are correct about JJJ.  I want him to be what you and others envision. 

So far all I have seen is a foul prone, weak rebounding, occasional offensive force who can't stay on the court. The talent is definitely there but is the head? Does he have the drive to succeed and become one of the best players in the league? We are talking about the player who played 58 games and averaged 13.7 PPG and 4.7 RPG last season right? 

Bruno and Dillon are also inured players who have not shown a ton of actual basketball knowledge. Dillon looks to be an aggressive if undersized small forward who started well his rookie season but did he improve in his second year? His PER numbers are not encouraging, his scoring went down and his FG% did as well. TO me he looks like not much more than a high shot player on a bad team.  

Caboclo has bounced around the league(s) and may actually finally be finding himself but I want to see a lot more improvement overall from him. I hope he plays summer league because he needs experience and practice time with the coaches. 

Jonas is old school I'll admit but to act like this guy is chopped liver and not worth a contract in the mid-teen millions is silly in my eyes. Of course, it all depends on the mysterious front office and what their vision is. Right now they only appear to have a long term vision out to Tuesday. After the lottery maybe we will hear what their plan is. Maybe not. Either way, until we know what the vision is for this team from the front office it is difficult to discuss what the team should be doing. 

This is a horrible take if that's all you saw from Jaren.

Lord knows what you would've said about 19-year old Giannis, who Jaren was light years ahead of

17 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I don't view Jonas as "chopped liver".  He is a good player.    Its just if the goal is become a contender eventually, with him as a major contributor, that is not wise.    As the playoffs are showing the only Big men that are having an impact are ones that can space floor, defend and play-make.    Otherwise they are purely situational.   That's why TOR traded him in the first place.   

I am not counting Dillon and Bruno as some foundation pieces.  I am strictly judging them based on what they have shown.    Both shoot at a decent clip and mostly can defend their positions.   Dillon is slightly undersized height-wise but he is strong and athletic enough to guard both wing spots.   Both also have solid shooting mechanics to continue improving.     I can see them in the rotation during playoffs. because they are both 2way players. 

JJJ was a rookie.   His production was really good for a first year pro and his potential is off the charts.   I see no reason to question his BBIQ, heart desire or drive based off his rookie campaign.   If the dagger he dropped on Lebron and fearlessness he showed in multiple games doesn't show you the desire and drive to succeed.     If the fact that KG said he wanted to mentor Jaren because he sees alot of himself in him.   Then i don't know what to tell you.   

Toronto trade for Gasol not to get rid of Jonas. Let's keep the conversation on the real level. Gasol isn't a great floor spacer, he's not a great defender but he's a better than average play-maker in Toronto. He's having a huge impact limiting a sick Embiid however. When Embiid felt healthy he went off on Gasol after all. 

Since when has 43% from the floor been considered a decent clip? Dillon shot 43.6% as a rookie and 40.2% last season. Bruno shot 42.9% last season and is a career 39% shooter. Dillon is not a great defensive player. He's undersized against most SF's and too slow for most SGs. Bruno is a freak athlete (unlike Dillon) but he isn't smart. He gets out of position and isn't a great rebounder either. They both shot about 36% from the 3 point line so they are about average in that regard. 

I like that KG wants to tutor him and I hope he picks up KGs drive to be the best. One of the aspects of KG's game I always admired is how he drove himself to be the best and demanded the same commitment from his teammates. If JJJ can get that attitude he could be one of the best. If he sits back, reads the clippings on how great he is and doesn't strive to improve he will be a slightly better Stromile Swift. Like I said before, I hope you are correct. I am on your side here. I just want to see him with the drive and determination of a Zion Williamson. So far I haven't seen that from him. 

18 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Toronto trade for Gasol not to get rid of Jonas. Let's keep the conversation on the real level. Gasol isn't a great floor spacer, he's not a great defender but he's a better than average play-maker in Toronto. He's having a huge impact limiting a sick Embiid however. When Embiid felt healthy he went off on Gasol after all. 

Hunh???    absolutely the reason they traded for Gasol was his DPOY reputation and 3pt shooting to go along with his floor spacing.    All things that are exact opposite of Jonas.   Once again i don't know what you have been reading but any TOR commentator/ pundit will tell you exactly what i just did.   Heck they have said that tons of times during TOR games. 

21 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Since when has 43% from the floor been considered a decent clip? Dillon shot 43.6% as a rookie and 40.2% last season. Bruno shot 42.9% last season and is a career 39% shooter. Dillon is not a great defensive player. He's undersized against most SF's and too slow for most SGs. Bruno is a freak athlete (unlike Dillon) but he isn't smart. He gets out of position and isn't a great rebounder either. They both shot about 36% from the 3 point line so they are about average in that regard. 

Since when is 36% from 3pt line not qualify as a 3pt threat?  Both give effort on defense and don't get abused.  Once again you fall into the trap of over-criticizing young role players.    Every player can't be Ray Allen and Tony Allen rolled into one.  They also don't have to be to play a role.    They are both decent 2way prospects.   I never said they should be offensive focals. 

26 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I just want to see him with the drive and determination of a Zion Williamson. So far I haven't seen that from him. 

Not sure what you have been watching.  Maybe you confused him with Marquese Chriss or Julian Washburn.    The fact that KG pursued him to mentor should be enough proof. 

5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I think you are selling Jaren a bit short here but I understand the hesitancy selling out for a 19 year old player who only logged 50 something games as a rookie then decided to call it a season. The sky is the limit for JJJ but the jury is definitely still out on his drive to get better. We'll find out this season...

Your assessments of Bruno and Dillon were spot on. Dillon's career projects out to a Sam Young level player to me. Bruno has the tools to be decent maybe not the head though.

I am not sure about your infatuation with paying JV $15 M per year. I would throw that money (or more) at bigs like Cousins or Vuc alone out of available guys. 

To me JV is a $10 M a year player due to him being a defensive liability.  I would prefer Willie Cauley-stein to him personally.  

Just now, SC Grizz said:

I think you are selling Jaren a bit short here but I understand the hesitancy selling out for a 19 year old player who only logged 50 something games as a rookie then decided to call it a season. The sky is the limit for JJJ but the jury is definitely still out on his drive to get better. We'll find out this season...

Your assessments of Bruno and Dillon were spot on. Dillon's career projects out to a Sam Young level player to me. Bruno has the tools to be decent maybe not the head though.

I am not sure about your infatuation with paying JV $15 M per year. I would throw that money (or more) at bigs like Cousins or Vuc alone out of available guys. 

To me JV is a $10 M a year player due to him being a defensive liability.  I would prefer Willie Cauley-stein to him personally.  

Which is why I opened in bold test that I hope they were correct with their vision on JJJ. I am content offering JV between $12-15 Million. Personally I want someone who can rebound, score inside and muck up people's drives to the paint. 

1 hour ago, SC Grizz said:

I would bump him up to 12-13. Just how I would valve him unless we are going all in on JJJ as our 5

Just now, grizzgolf said:

I would bump him up to 12-13. Just how I would valve him unless we are going all in on JJJ as our 5

I would go all in on Jaren at the 4.  Optimally he is Battier/Rodman on defense and Bird/Durant shooting/scoring.  

22 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I didn’t say there was an option. I didn’t imply there was an option. I said if the Grizzlies defer they should trade Conley and rebuild. It is correct they way I wrote it. I don’t know today if they will or not.

And I would gladly exchange a conference semi-final over the lottery any season.

It sure seems like you did to me.

27 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

I get that. I do think MemphisX has a really good point about committing that much salary to someone who could be unplayable in some playoff matchups.

This is apples to oranges but I would take that same money and try to land Bogdanovic to a 4 year deal.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Which is why I opened in bold test that I hope they were correct with their vision on JJJ. I am content offering JV between $12-15 Million. Personally I want someone who can rebound, score inside and muck up people's drives to the paint. 

Yes. I am with you on the type of player.... it would be nice to spend a little less on that skill set. 

2 hours ago, SC Grizz said:

The NBA has lots of scrubs getting paid 10 mil/yr. JV is not a scrub. Realistically, I think 15 mil on a 3-4 year contract would be more in line. While Gasol at 25 mil is providing decent man on man defense, he's not spacing the floor because he's hardly shooting 3's (last night he was 0 for 3 from the arc), but rather playing hot potato which is not pulling players out to the arc to cover him. He's also not providing rebounding nor is he getting many points. I have read hundreds of comments at the Raptors forum saying that the trade for Gasol was a lateral move at best. If the Grizz offered 10 mil/yr to JV, he would walk. Or maybe he would collect his 16.7 mil option, then walk.

42 minutes ago, GameOn said:

The NBA has lots of scrubs getting paid 10 mil/yr. JV is not a scrub. Realistically, I think 15 mil on a 3-4 year contract would be more in line. While Gasol at 25 mil is providing decent man on man defense, he's not spacing the floor because he's hardly shooting 3's (last night he was 0 for 3 from the arc), but rather playing hot potato which is not pulling players out to the arc to cover him. He's also not providing rebounding nor is he getting many points. I have read hundreds of comments at the Raptors forum saying that the trade for Gasol was a lateral move at best. If the Grizz offered 10 mil/yr to JV, he would walk. Or maybe he would collect his 16.7 mil option, then walk.

No argument here about many of your points. Just because a lot of teams overpay guys doesn't mean I want us to continue to be one of them. I wouldn't pay Marc Gasol $10 M either.

Just don't overpaid him period.

Conley  Gasol Parson all were grossly overpaid just don't do it again.

10 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I like that KG wants to tutor him and I hope he picks up KGs drive to be the best. One of the aspects of KG's game I always admired is how he drove himself to be the best and demanded the same commitment from his teammates. If JJJ can get that attitude he could be one of the best. If he sits back, reads the clippings on how great he is and doesn't strive to improve he will be a slightly better Stromile Swift. Like I said before, I hope you are correct. I am on your side here. I just want to see him with the drive and determination of a Zion Williamson. So far I haven't seen that from him. 

DB second year numbers aren't a full pic though.  He struggled his first couple of games then started to find his footing before the injury.  I was at the game when he got hurt,  as soon as it happened,  you could tell it was bad. He showed signs of being a pesky defender as well

48 minutes ago, toocoolkellz said:

DB second year numbers aren't a full pic though.  He struggled his first couple of games then started to find his footing before the injury.  I was at the game when he got hurt,  as soon as it happened,  you could tell it was bad. He showed signs of being a pesky defender as well

Are you talking about when he sprained his knee or when he broke his toe?

Do you think that Jonas will be looking for a pay raise or security of a long term contract?  Honestly, I have mixed feelings about JV.  I like his rebounding and his ability to get buckets in the paint.  Sometimes he even comes up with a big defensive play, but I think his offense requires feeding a lot which will take opportunities away from other guys.  I'm not sure what he, or the team plans this offseason, but I suppose our direction may be clearer (at least to fans) after the lottery.

28 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Do you think that Jonas will be looking for a pay raise or security of a long term contract?  Honestly, I have mixed feelings about JV.  I like his rebounding and his ability to get buckets in the paint.  Sometimes he even comes up with a big defensive play, but I think his offense requires feeding a lot which will take opportunities away from other guys.  I'm not sure what he, or the team plans this offseason, but I suppose our direction may be clearer (at least to fans) after the lottery.

I am just guessing, but i feel he is looking for 60mil. 4 years deal.