Gogrizz123

Is there any news on if JV is gonna sign with the grizzlies

1 hour ago, BeBoutBidness said:

Could we sign JV and trade him to New Orleans forthe number 4 pick?

We can't sign JV until after NBA FA starts in the first week of July. If we sign him, i think he has to stay until 12/1 if I'm not mistaken. NOH would have to wait 30 days to trade a draft pick that they selected.

8 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

We can't sign JV until after NBA FA starts in the first week of July. If we sign him, i think he has to stay until 12/1 if I'm not mistaken. NOH would have to wait 30 days to trade a draft pick that they selected.

So we wont know anything till July

50 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

So we wont know anything till July

It's been awhile since i've looked at the rules and I really didn't pay much attention to the last CBA but I think if you're an impending  FA you can't be traded right now. JV declined his option making him a FA. I think if he would've  picked up his option, then he could be traded but he declined it and opted out. 

Do a google search for Larry Coon's NBA FAQ. He's an attorney and he always breaks down the NBA CBA step by step. he's also on Twitter and does occasional Q&A's with people on the NBA CBA rules and what you can and cannot do. 

The NBA fiscal year ends on June 30th. Traditionally, you can begin wooing FAs on midnight July1st but this year, you can start at 6pm June 30th. A lot of these deals that you are hearing about are in principle and won't be executed until after July 1st. 

Well, I just looked this up and you can do a sign and trade when you sign your own FA, otherwise, you have to wait until Dec 15th. 

A free agent who signs a standard NBA player contract (or a player who signs, or is converted
to, a standard NBA player contract while under a Two-Way Contract) cannot be traded for
three months following the date the contract is signed or until December 15 of the Salary Cap
Year in which the contract is signed, whichever is later. 

A team is not allowed to sign another team's free agent and then immediately trade him. However, a team is allowed to re-sign their own free agent and immediately trade him to another team by adding a clause to the contract making it invalid if the player is not traded to a specific team within 48 hours.

If a team drafts a rookie, they can't trade him until 30 days after he signs. 

A draft rookie who signs a standard NBA player contract or any player who signs a Two-Way
Contract may not be traded until 30 days following the date on which he signed his contract.

What you're asking would be complicated to do. Theoretically, we could wait until August to sign him and then trade him for a player who was drafted and signed right away but that just seems very complicated or we could sign and trade him, but that's very rare these days. JV opted out so that restricts what we can do. 

I hope they have a deal in place and will sign him immediately when possible. Something like 4/50, going up to 4/60 with incentives (since he could have opted in and then extended for a couple more years, I assume he wants more years, but not at low numbers) tied to mostly team results, maybe an ASG appearance.

I want to see JJJ developing as a 4 with some time as a small ball 5. The game deciding players in the league are the ones that can create themselves, defend well. Look at playoffs this year. Kawhi can create, handle the ball, and defend. KD too. Butler was much more impactful for 76ers on offense than Embiid because he can initiate the attacks, handle the ball and shoot well. Steph had some issues due to size. JJJ has size, defense, can shoot...we need him to develop as a mobile creative player. And protect him from injuries. That's where JV comes in. We need somebody to match up with Embiids of the league anyway.

Our core going forward is Ja+JJJ, but JV fits here well, taking some offensive load, matching up with the guys JJJ can't defend physically. Great practice partner for that too, and an amazing locker room/vet presence.

What we need JV working on are:

- PnR defense, obviously;

- Shooting. Not shooting itself, to be honest, he's pretty good already, but the willingness to shoot - the problem lies in the fact that he's just so much more effective near the basket that having him away from it for longer time is ridiculous. I think we should see some of him trying to space the floor in his National team games - 2 best players they have are JV and Sabonis, and coach will have to find a way to have them both on floor at the same time.

4 hours ago, Ole Dirty Klondike said:

It's been awhile since i've looked at the rules and I really didn't pay much attention to the last CBA but I think if you're an impending  FA you can't be traded right now. JV declined his option making him a FA. I think if he would've  picked up his option, then he could be traded but he declined it and opted out. 

Do a google search for Larry Coon's NBA FAQ. He's an attorney and he always breaks down the NBA CBA step by step. he's also on Twitter and does occasional Q&A's with people on the NBA CBA rules and what you can and cannot do. 

The NBA fiscal year ends on June 30th. Traditionally, you can begin wooing FAs on midnight July1st but this year, you can start at 6pm June 30th. A lot of these deals that you are hearing about are in principle and won't be executed until after July 1st. 

Well, I just looked this up and you can do a sign and trade when you sign your own FA, otherwise, you have to wait until Dec 15th. 

If a team drafts a rookie, they can't trade him until 30 days after he signs. 

What you're asking would be complicated to do. Theoretically, we could wait until August to sign him and then trade him for a player who was drafted and signed right away but that just seems very complicated or we could sign and trade him, but that's very rare these days. JV opted out so that restricts what we can do. 

If a team drafts a rookie and signs him they can't subsequently trade him for 30 days. Teams can trade rookies they haven't signed immediately. Draft picks have no value in trades. After a player is drafted, regardless of him being signed or not, there is a value placed according to his drafted spot if he is traded. 

On 6/18/2019 at 1:13 PM, evilution dijo:

I think we should see some of him trying to space the floor in his National team games - 2 best players they have are JV and Sabonis, and coach will have to find a way to have them both on floor at the same time.

For European basketball to have 2-3 old fashioned C is not a problem. They were played a bit together in WC qualifiers 2019.

You can find full games:
Lithuania vs Hungary
Lithuania vs Poland

On 6/15/2019 at 1:39 PM, kevofrommempho said:

That Steven Adams contract is terrible and I am sure OKC greatly regrets it. That is not the proper comparison.  Myles Turner just signed a four year deal with Indiana.  JV is a better offensive player than Turner but Turner is much better on defense and he is four years younger so he has more room to grow.  His contract is 18 mil a year for four years.  I think JV is worth slightly less than that and certainly no more.  Anything over that would be greatly overpaying.

Clearly OKC agrees now that 25 for Steven Adams is way too much.  They are trying to offer assets for anyone to take him.