Gogrizz123

Is there any news on if JV is gonna sign with the grizzlies

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

That would be stupid.

But letting a 19 and 10 player walk while experimenting with a 2nd year player in a new position makes all the sense in the world? 

Enos Kanter is making over $18 million and I'd rather have JV than Kanter. Clint Capella is making over $15 million too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I could see the Grizzlies paying him around $15 million since they aren't exactly a draw for free agents. 

I could too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Right, which is why developing Jaren into Unicorn Center should be the real strategy.    Jaren skillset and mobility makes him immune to the effects of SmallBall.    Jonas would be greatly minimized as soon as playoffs start up.  Not just because he doesn't spread the floor but because he would be relentlessly attacked on defense. 

If Jonas fully embraced a situational Starter type role then i would be fine locking him up on an extremely team friendly deal.    But like you mention i have a difficult time thinking HE wants that after his really productive season.   If he resigns here it most likely will be in the role of Starting Center - offensive focal (assume Mike is gone).   If he is secondary with Jaren as primary then that puts us back with a Two Big offense again.   Can't thrive in today's NBA like that.     If we luck up and get a Ja, RJ or even Coby then that player HAS to be a primary scorer too.     Jaren could end up 3rd in pecking order by default.   I just hope Grizz FO are thinking about this. 

3J could end up being a bust also, MG was the perfect C for him because he would defer to him. Grizz will be feces without JV next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

3J could end up being a bust also, MG was the perfect C for him because he would defer to him. Grizz will be feces without JV next year.

If the Grizzlies defer this year's pick they should trade Conley and become feces so they can rebuild with a talented young core. If they don't then I don't believe trading Conley makes a lot of sense because the team will still owe Boston their first round pick in the future. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

But letting a 19 and 10 player walk while experimenting with a 2nd year player in a new position makes all the sense in the world? 

Enos Kanter is making over $18 million and I'd rather have JV than Kanter. Clint Capella is making over $15 million too. 

Guess what, 3 years ago people thought those contracts made sense also. 19/10 is meaningless to me.

Kanter is about as productive as JV. He is just not wearing Grizz blue. Similar ages. 

So giving me examples of other teams mistakes does not make JV more valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Guess what, 3 years ago people thought those contracts made sense also. 19/10 is meaningless to me.

Kanter is about as productive as JV. He is just not wearing Grizz blue. Similar ages. 

So giving me examples of other teams mistakes does not make JV more valuable.

If you don't understand the value of a 19/10 player there really isn't any basis to begin giving you examples. Golden State, if Boogie Cousins opts out would gladly take JV in my opinion but you don't believe rebounding and interior scoring are important so you'd disagree. Toronto would take him back if Gasol leaves but you would just say that they are making a mistake. Washington would love to have a center like JV which is why they took a flyer on Dwight Howard. 

I don't know what JV will end up signing for in Memphis or elsewhere but I do believe players with his skills are still in demand around the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

If the Grizzlies defer this year's pick they should trade Conley and become feces so they can rebuild with a talented young core. If they don't then I don't believe trading Conley makes a lot of sense because the team will still owe Boston their first round pick in the future. 

Does the Grizz even have the right to defer? I thought if they got bumped out of the top 8 they HAD to defer and there is still a good chance that they will get bumped in the lottery. I also don't believe that pick will be as high as this years' pick will be unless JV doesn't resign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Does the Grizz even have the right to defer? I thought if they got bumped out of the top 8 they HAD to defer and there is still a good chance that they will get bumped in the lottery.

No. They don't have the right to defer. If their pick is 9th or lower they must defer to Boston. If it is 8th or higher they must keep the pick. I only said "if the Grizzlies defer" because at this point in time we don't know if they will or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Where would Portland be without Kanter?

Perhaps a 1st round exit instead of a 2nd round exit. Portland is also only paying Kanter under $700k this season though.

I think a good comparison is Nurkic, who got a 4-year, $48 million contract. I'd be fine with something along those lines. Once you start getting into $15+, I think it becomes harmful to the long-term cap management of the team. Kanter was basically unplayable in the playoffs last year and Capela is often not even on the court during important moments for the Rockets. I'm not so confident JV would be a valuable playoff contributor in years 3/4 of any contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Perhaps a 1st round exit instead of a 2nd round exit. Portland is also only paying Kanter under $700k this season though.

I think a good comparison is Nurkic, who got a 4-year, $48 million contract. I'd be fine with something along those lines. Once you start getting into $15+, I think it becomes harmful to the long-term cap management of the team. Kanter was basically unplayable in the playoffs last year and Capela is often not even on the court during important moments for the Rockets. I'm not so confident JV would be a valuable playoff contributor in years 3/4 of any contract.

4ys/60 mil is good for him and for us.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

If you don't understand the value of a 19/10 player there really isn't any basis to begin giving you examples. Golden State, if Boogie Cousins opts out would gladly take JV in my opinion but you don't believe rebounding and interior scoring are important so you'd disagree. Toronto would take him back if Gasol leaves but you would just say that they are making a mistake. Washington would love to have a center like JV which is why they took a flyer on Dwight Howard. 

I don't know what JV will end up signing for in Memphis or elsewhere but I do believe players with his skills are still in demand around the league. 

In a team with a unicorn like Jaren, that still has foul trouble and rebounding as his question marks JV would fit right now and longterm. Imagine if we draft Zion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dwash said:

This is true but every team isnt trying to make playoff runs. Some teams just want to put together a decent run and be .500 ish for now. So I can see some team paying him 13-15 million just to put up some stats.

This would describe us next season if we don't convey in June...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Once_a_hater said:

4ys/60 mil is good for him and for us.

In a team with a unicorn like Jaren, that still has foul trouble and rebounding as his question marks JV would fit right now and longterm. Imagine if we draft Zion. 

I just can't get too fired up for a 6% chance. I'm still hoping we defer so we can start the rebuilding with a new front office, new coach and no more 1st round draft picks owed to other teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

No. They don't have the right to defer. If their pick is 9th or lower they must defer to Boston. If it is 8th or higher they must keep the pick. I only said "if the Grizzlies defer" because at this point in time we don't know if they will or not. 

Then shouldn't you have said, if the Grizz HAVE to defer since they have NO option? Philly doesn't seem to be doing all that well with all the picks they got, do they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ACGrizz said:

Perhaps a 1st round exit instead of a 2nd round exit. Portland is also only paying Kanter under $700k this season though.

I think a good comparison is Nurkic, who got a 4-year, $48 million contract. I'd be fine with something along those lines. Once you start getting into $15+, I think it becomes harmful to the long-term cap management of the team. Kanter was basically unplayable in the playoffs last year and Capela is often not even on the court during important moments for the Rockets. I'm not so confident JV would be a valuable playoff contributor in years 3/4 of any contract.

It doesn't matter what they are paying him, they are still in the POs because of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

Then shouldn't you have said, if the Grizz HAVE to defer since they have NO option? Philly doesn't seem to be doing all that well with all the picks they got, do they?

I didn’t say there was an option. I didn’t imply there was an option. I said if the Grizzlies defer they should trade Conley and rebuild. It is correct they way I wrote it. I don’t know today if they will or not.

And I would gladly exchange a conference semi-final over the lottery any season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chipc3 said:

But letting a 19 and 10 player walk while experimenting with a 2nd year player in a new position makes all the sense in the world? 

Enos Kanter is making over $18 million and I'd rather have JV than Kanter. Clint Capella is making over $15 million too. 

Mozgov Biyombo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoever said Nurkic is right. I think JV is better than Nurk, so 4 years, 56 million sounds right. I think you still just let him opt in this year just to make sure him and JJJ can coexist together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

depends on how you look at it ...

get paid for potential 

or 

do they get paid for their past?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rdk4121 said:

Whoever said Nurkic is right. I think JV is better than Nurk, so 4 years, 56 million sounds right. I think you still just let him opt in this year just to make sure him and JJJ can coexist together. 

I initially threw out the Nurk comparison since I thought they were fairly similar, but after looking into Nurk more, it seems like Nurk’s a better defender (as far as advanced stats can tell). I think we need to discount JV’s end of season performance a bit based on the fact that the roster out there was such hot poo poo that rebounds/points had to go somewhere. He’s still a talented player and I think it’d be worthwhile to keep him, just think we’d be making a big mistake going over $15m/yr. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

I initially threw out the Nurk comparison since I thought they were fairly similar, but after looking into Nurk more, it seems like Nurk’s a better defender (as far as advanced stats can tell). I think we need to discount JV’s end of season performance a bit based on the fact that the roster out there was such hot poo poo that rebounds/points had to go somewhere. He’s still a talented player and I think it’d be worthwhile to keep him, just think we’d be making a big mistake going over $15m/yr. 

Nurk is good no doubt. Neither are great defensively, but Nurk is a little better. JV has a more advanced post game than Nurk. Mainly JV is better on offense, Nurk is better on defense. About the same on rebounding. As long as it is 48-56 million, I feel like both parties should be happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A terrible deal...

 

Paying someone $15 million that will not be able to stay on the floor in the playoffs.

It is like everyone sees how the new NBA is trending, draft a unicorn to stay ahead of the trend but want to waste cap on someone that you can see is virtually unplayable in the playoffs against top teams.

How about we invest that $15 million in a wing that can shoot?  Seems like a better investment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

How about we invest that $15 million in a wing that can shoot?  Seems like a better investment.

+1000  

Jonas or Jonas Type player is good to have in your 9 man rotation.  But its hard to justify paying a lot for a traditional Center that isn't a defensive anchor.  

 I believe in building a team where your Top 3 scorers (highest paid guys) are always playable.    There was no situation where LeBron, Wade, and Bosh couldn't play.  Same for Pierce, Ray, and KG.   

I want my two main primary scorers to not be undersized or bad athletes.  I am more lenient with the 3rd wheel but he should be versatile enough to stay on floor as well.     

That's whats great about Jaren.  He can play in any lineup or style because he is athletic, mobile, and can shoot.   Of our current under contract guys only Dillon and Bruno possibly fit that profile.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now