Gogrizz123

Is there any news on if JV is gonna sign with the grizzlies

On 6/5/2019 at 2:41 PM, CarloJ63 said:

Aw c'mon man.  If you're gonna slap someone around, you need to have the 3 Stooges do the honors.

tenor.gif?itemid=11627871

slim.

1 hour ago, ACGrizz said:

Read the two posts directly before yours. In any event, no sense debating this further when we’ll see in 3 days. 

i stand corrected. he, kyrie, and aaron baynes all have to pick their up by the 13th I have read. my bad.

27 minutes ago, First Team All Memphis said:

i stand corrected. he, kyrie, and aaron baynes all have to pick their up by the 13th I have read. my bad.

Agree with you that it's odd though; I also thought there'd be a "uniform" opt-in date but, alas, seems this is the way it goes.

43 minutes ago, ACGrizz said:

Agree with you that it's odd though; I also thought there'd be a "uniform" opt-in date but, alas, seems this is the way it goes.

I did not think we would be taking this long to hire a coach. unless they are keeping JV up to date behind the scenes, if they don't hire a coach by Wednesday (and that may be to late) I think he bounces regardless of the money situation. a team with no direction via the coach is to much of a risk for him to take I think.. unless the coach is his guy sarunas, like I said, I think he is gone, which would be a shame.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:30 AM, First Team All Memphis said:

and why are we suppose to believe this from you?

Because I believe that poster I love jv has some type of connection with Jonas 

if they do have CONNECTION with JONAS be careful by giving out to much info there may be a spy at there 

15 hours ago, Father Pat said:

The June 29th date is the deadline for all players to exercise their options, unless individual contracts specify otherwise. I believe that JV falls under the "otherwise" part.

This was my understanding as well.  The date is negotiable, and once a player opts in, he is eligible to be traded, which is why some guys wait to do it.  My belief is that JV will opt in because of the guaranteed cash involved.  If he doesn't, I get it, because of the uncertainty involved with this team, including the coach and Conley.

It would be frustrating if JV opts out and lack of communication from the FO is a factor, especially since the FO just had a big lack of communication issue in the handling of JB and Wallace at media day.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

This was my understanding as well.  The date is negotiable, and once a player opts in, he is eligible to be traded, which is why some guys wait to do it.  My belief is that JV will opt in because of the guaranteed cash involved.  If he doesn't, I get it, because of the uncertainty involved with this team, including the coach and Conley.

It would be frustrating if JV opts out and lack of communication from the FO is a factor, especially since the FO just had a big lack of communication issue in the handling of JB and Wallace at media day.

Excellent point. The "new" F.O. thought they were making the right call with media day and it was a total mess. Great first impression.

5 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Totally agree. I hope that the change in fonrt office mean also a change in way of communicate as this was handling pretty badly ( to be nice) until now.

1 hour ago, Back2Grizzness said:

We will know by this time tomorrow. I’m hoping he opt in or we sign him to a multi year

Maybe we'll know.

Him opting out could mean he's gone or it could mean a new contract in July.

I'm hoping to know but this could drag out if he's returning.

Interesting and funny article in today's Lithuanian media:

https://www.lrytas.lt/sportas/krepsinis/2019/06/13/news/norvegijoje-j-valanciuna-gaudant-zuvi-pasigaves-naujasis-grizzlies-treneris-siandie-laukia-jo-sprendimo-10733939/

For most of you, who doesn't bother to use "Google translate" - because it's not accurate (to say it mildly), I'll try to make a little summary.

While JV is fishing somewhere of Norwegian shores, he got a call from a new HC of Grizzlies. JV answered the call, but excused himself, cause he is sooo tired, felt like on the last juice. Nevertheless, both continued conversation. First, Jenkins expressed that Memphis liked everything about him and keep him in the high regard. JV retorted that he was happy to hear from the Jenkins himself, and he is OK with everything in Memphis.

Sorry, that's not a completely accurate translation, but I wanted to show the mood. It was not like Jenkins "I'll wait Grizzlies GM to talk to JV's agent and we will go from there", or from JV's side "I'm catching huge halibuts up north in Norway and I'll let my agent to deal with the all NBA financial nonsense."

So, both sides talked, that's good.

My pointers. Grizzlies are an X factor. Who knows what kind of roster they will field start next season, how successful they can be.

JV side. He was a side-kick for the Raptors for 6+years. He was kicked out from the team during the last call. Does JV believe that Grizzlies can be competitive right now? Believe me, I'm watching over the guy since he was 15. JV is a team first, an epitome of a loyal guy. For him to sign to be a side-kick and a baby sitter for a different rising franchise - tough pill to swallow.

BUT. What you have seen from JV is just the surface of his skills. He is a very good C. In the NBA. If Memphis is willing to make a cocktail of youth and experience, and try to compete right now - I can assure you, JV is your C. If Memphis drafts Ja - (and doesn't matter how Conley's situation is resolved), Grizzlies will be fun next season. Play-off bound.

Still, I think the best course of action for everybody - is to JV to opt-in, and see how things will develop. When JV will be under the contract (even a short one) with Memphis - both sides will have multiple options. If Grizzlies are meshing up, game is fun, and Ws outnumber Ls - let's keep the team intact, with certain adjustments. If the house is falling apart - trade JV for some assets.

I don't want to go into deep analysis cause there way too many uncertainties.

I am just happy that new Grizzlies HC found JV fishing up north in Norway and they had a joyous, friendly conversation with mutual understanding.

great context and perspective, and having been a season ticket holder of the Raps since year 1...I liked this "kid" a lot and everything he personifies on and off the court.  Other than that drinking episode coming home from Wasaga and he got caught DUI.  Colangelo cut him some slack and Jonas has been a model teammate since.  And I am sure that he quaffed a few ales while fishing and would put some "nfl" players to shame how he can "guzzle....  does any9ne know if there is a time cap on Jonas declaring today, or is it a mid-night thing?

He could have opted in and still worked on an extension why opt out of guaranteed money there no way to know if you are going to like the deal the Grizz offer.

2 minutes ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

Woj says he want to negotiate a longer deal to stay in Memphis.

bingo... i wonder if Coach Jenkins told him that he could use him like Lopez if he is willing to shoot 3s. 

1 minute ago, Ndq0327 said:

He could have opted in and still worked on an extension why opt out of guaranteed money there no way to know if you are going to like the deal the Grizz offer.

Yeah that is super weird. I don't think there is a lot of interest between the Grizzlies and JV honestly. He doesn't really fit with the new core and new direction.

I've heard 12mil as the highest he'd possibly get per year on a multi year deal I don't think he's coming back. Unless he's trying to save the team money which isn't something players do all that often.