Gogrizz123

Is there any news on if JV is gonna sign with the grizzlies

21 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Ok, not disagreeing with that but don’t see how it’s relevant here. 

Well it may be relevant when the choices are having only Ivan Rabb as a back up center to JJJ or having JV as well.

Not saying that those will be the only two options, but it is possible.

5 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

Well it may be relevant when the choices are having only Ivan Rabb as a back up center to JJJ or having JV as well.

Not saying that those will be the only two options, but it is possible.

I’m not saying you don’t want him back, or even that he’s not a good fit. I’m simply checking these guys saying he’s as good as the top centers in the league. That’s my only point. 

Mad a matter of fact, o like JVs toughness, rebounding, post skills, and even his duty with JJJ and Ja. I really want him back. The pick and roll with Ja up high will be nasty, won’t be able to stop penetration. 

Even when Ja goes iso, he should get by most defenders and The opposing center will have to help and boom, there’s JV under the rack or JJJ in the corner

going to be a fun year. Two elite, off the chart potential talents, an old school hard nosed center, and then some solid pieces on the wings, every game will be fun

49 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

No but he's better than any alternative currently under contract with the Grizzlies. I agree with MemhisX. He shouldn't be extended until the team sees how he performs with JJJ and probably Ja. 

I third this. Very important to see what his fit looks like. He definitely covers up JJJ's biggest shortcoming - rebounding. (well that along with fouling) but how much is that worth?

For the record i'd like to see him back because I love watching him play but it's got to be for the right price. Any extension has to be after this upcoming season. That's just a part of being a responsible front office.

24 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Ok, not disagreeing with that but don’t see how it’s relevant here. 

Maybe I am missing something here but on a thread titled "Is there any news on if JV is gonna sign with the grizzlies" and discussing how he compares with other centers around the league, realizing he's the best the team has and there is a huge drop off behind him seems relevant to the discussion. 

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Maybe I am missing something here but on a thread titled "Is there any news on if JV is gonna sign with the grizzlies" and discussing how he compares with other centers around the league, realizing he's the best the team has and there is a huge drop off behind him seems relevant to the discussion. 

Yes, you are missing some context, just look at the quoted stuff and the fact I was saying JV is not on Gobert or Jokic’s level as players. Nothing about the Grizzlies at all. 

Read my last post in this thread for my feel on JV and his fit with Memphis. 

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Yes. And because he is an offense first player who needs touches to be effective, his value diminishes greatly as you move him down the pecking order.

Exactly. I remember I made this same point in another thread a while ago 

4 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Yes, you are missing some context, just look at the quoted stuff and the fact I was saying JV is not on Gobert or Jokic’s level as players. Nothing about the Grizzlies at all. 

Read my last post in this thread for my feel on JV and his fit with Memphis. 

I answered your comment with the response No. I then said that he is still the best on the Grizzlies implying that only extreme JV supporters believe he is as good as the elite centers in the league but how he compares with the best in the league isn't as important to the Grizzlies as his work with the team. 

I think reasonable people can agree that we want JV to opt in to this final year on his contract so we can get a better look at him and his fit with our two centerpieces going forward. 

The question in my mind is why would he opt in?  Why not cash in and sign a long term deal?  If I was his agent I would not recommend opting in.

6 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I answered your comment with the response No. I then said that he is still the best on the Grizzlies implying that only extreme JV supporters believe he is as good as the elite centers in the league but how he compares with the best in the league isn't as important to the Grizzlies as his work with the team. 

Agreed completely there my man. That was a “what we have here, is a failure, to communicate” moment

2 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

Agreed completely there my man. That was a “what we have here, is a failure, to communicate” moment

Image result for failure to communicate gif

They happen a lot on message boards. Glad we could peacefully talk it out. 

39 minutes ago, BAMAFREAK said:

I’m not saying you don’t want him back, or even that he’s not a good fit. I’m simply checking these guys saying he’s as good as the top centers in the league. That’s my only point. 

Mad a matter of fact, o like JVs toughness, rebounding, post skills, and even his duty with JJJ and Ja. I really want him back. The pick and roll with Ja up high will be nasty, won’t be able to stop penetration. 

Even when Ja goes iso, he should get by most defenders and The opposing center will have to help and boom, there’s JV under the rack or JJJ in the corner

going to be a fun year. Two elite, off the chart potential talents, an old school hard nosed center, and then some solid pieces on the wings, every game will be fun

I agree. I dont mind JV at all honestly. I hate we have to go through this cause all year long his extreme fans who cant see the big picture over a stat line will keep saying "I told you so!" everytime he posts big stats. But I will still enjoy his old school paint beasting and not try to pick sides on a Grizzly player like extreme fans make you so sometimes.

My biggest concern is JV having a big year on a mediocre/decent team. Scoring a big deal. Then his role gets reduced as the true building blocks are formed. Kinda like David Lee with the Warriors. When they got good you literally forgot he used to average 20/10 the year before.

4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I agree. I dont mind JV at all honestly. I hate we have to go through this cause all year long his extreme fans who cant see the big picture over a stat line will keep saying "I told you so!" everytime he posts big stats. But I will still enjoy his old school paint beasting and not try to pick sides on a Grizzly player like extreme fans make you so sometimes.

My biggest concern is JV having a big year on a mediocre/decent team. Scoring a big deal. Then his role gets reduced as the true building blocks are formed. Kinda like David Lee with the Warriors.

If he can add the three I think he becomes worth the deal he'd probably look to sign. His shooting numbers are very similar to Brook Lopez's before he starting taking loads of threes so I hope if he opts in we've got him working on it all summer. 

5 hours ago, lions said:

after watching GAME 1 vs the GOLDENSTATE thats why the RAPTORS made that trade for MARC , marc D  is the main reason for that trade , put I,m rooting  for the big guy to stay

Yep Bingo!   They traded for Marc because Gasol is the type of Big Center that doesn't get made obsolete in the playoffs.   He spaces the floor, playmakes and defends.       Those are the common skillsets of all the Bigs that had integral roles throughout the playoffs.   Embiid,  Brook Lopez, Jokic and Gasol ALL did those things.     All the old school non-mobile bigs that cannot defend got played off the floor.     Guys like JV, Kanter, Capela are cool to have during regular season but in Playoffs their limitations become liabilities.  

Having said all that - I am totally cool with JV opting in because i do enjoy watching him "go to work". 

2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Yep Bingo!   They traded for Marc because Gasol is the type of Big Center that doesn't get made obsolete in the playoffs.   He spaces the floor, playmakes and defends.       Those are the common skillsets of all the Bigs that had integral roles throughout the playoffs.   Embiid,  Brook Lopez, Jokic and Gasol ALL did those things.     All the old school non-mobile bigs that cannot defend got played off the floor.     Guys like JV, Kanter, Capela are cool to have during regular season but in Playoffs their limitations become liabilities.  

Having said all that - I am totally cool with JV opting in because i do enjoy watching him "go to work". 

Jonas was in the playoffs this year?

4 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

True but you have to acknowledge Capela only gets played off by the Warriors. Other teams he is fine. Its ok to have a paint only center if he is athletic.

15 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Image result for failure to communicate gif

They happen a lot on message boards. Glad we could peacefully talk it out. 

i don't like war anymore than you do.....well, he 'gits it..

slim.

From this article, it sounds like Jonas is waiting on the new coach and Conley situation before deciding.  I'm guessing if there's no new coach or the Conley trade isn't settled, he will look elsewhere.  I would love to have Z-Bo and TA just to be vet mentors, play a few minutes, min. wage.

Grizzlies news: Jonas Valanciunas says new coach, Mike Conley's future will factor into player option decision

https://clutchpoints.com/grizzlies-news-jonas-valanciunas-says-new-coach-mike-conleys-future-will-factor-into-player-option-decision/

19 minutes ago, Dwash said:

True but you have to acknowledge Capela only gets played off by the Warriors. Other teams he is fine. Its ok to have a paint only center if he is athletic.

Yea u r correct in regards to Capela's case.    But honestly if he had either a legit low post game or floor spacing ability - he would've still been playable.   

2 minutes ago, rc0213 said:

From this article, it sounds like Jonas is waiting on the new coach and Conley situation before deciding.  I'm guessing if there's no new coach or the Conley trade isn't settled, he will look elsewhere.  I would love to have Z-Bo and TA just to be vet mentors, play a few minutes, min. wage.

Grizzlies news: Jonas Valanciunas says new coach, Mike Conley's future will factor into player option decision

https://clutchpoints.com/grizzlies-news-jonas-valanciunas-says-new-coach-mike-conleys-future-will-factor-into-player-option-decision/

That article was posted two weeks ago. Someone posted later that his wife has agreed to move to Memphis and he is picking up his option.

We will know more when June 13th rolls around

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

That article was posted two weeks ago. Someone posted later that his wife has agreed to move to Memphis and he is picking up his option.

Gotya!  Sorry, for the late post.  Thanks for the update.

9 minutes ago, rc0213 said:

I’m not even going to be rude here, but just no. There is ZERO reason to bring back TA or ZBO. They are both done. It would be a waste. We’ve got to get over this nostalgia stuff guys. 

23 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

People close to JV  confirm, that his wife just agreed to move to Memphis and JV will opt IN.

Question were are you getting all this info from lol ??

14 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Ooh is that true? 

I agree with @kevofrommempho that him opting in is probably the best thing for the Grizzlies. We need to see how he fits with JJJ. I think it could end up being a great duo, but wouldn't want to sign an extension or new contract before we've seen how they play together. And if it doesn't work out, he'll be a decent expiring trade piece this year. 

I loved JV last year on the Grizz and think he'd be loved by the fanbase pretty quickly if he produces with the youngins. 

4 minutes ago, costarica2 said:

Question were are you getting all this info from lol ??

hmmm... I’m thinking

🤔 

i❤️JV just MIGHT BE ...

jv’s wife?