Gogrizz123

Is there any news on if JV is gonna sign with the grizzlies

Where do we go if JV leaves Memphis as far more players like him or do we bring back ZBO

14 hours ago, Gogrizz123 said:

Where do we go if JV leaves Memphis as far more players like him or do we bring back ZBO

We should push hard to resign Noah if JV doesn't pick up his option. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Depends. We could be starting a complete rebuild if JV doesn't come back. You don't need a 33 year old center for anything more than spot minutes at that point. 

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

If JV doesn't pick up his option you want to invest in 35 year old Joakim Noah rather than putting a more attractive offer on the table for JV? 

If JV picks up his option I'd be more interested in making a play for Noah. If he doesn't then I would make a stronger push to JV and let Noah try and find a deal elsewhere. His health is too shaky to make him an every day player anyway. 

13 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

If JV doesn't pick up his option you want to invest in 35 year old Joakim Noah rather than putting a more attractive offer on the table for JV? 

If JV picks up his option I'd be more interested in making a play for Noah. If he doesn't then I would make a stronger push to JV and let Noah try and find a deal elsewhere. His health is too shaky to make him an every day player anyway. 

I wouldn't make Noah and everyday player and he is still getting paid by NYK anyways so no real risk.   If JV doesn't come back i'd seriously entertain playing Jaren at the 5.   Noah would be his backup.   Then i would still look at signing another C/PF guy like kyle O'Quinn or Zeller as further insurance. 

Just keep in mind Noah and Marc are the exact same age.  I distinctly remember some ppl wanting to resign Marc to a 3/30 type deal to play alongside JJJ.  

Basically i really really wish JJJ and Jonas got to play together. Too much uncertainty about their fit longterm.    I am not sure that Jonas presence won't hurt Jaren's development into a true unicorn.        Jonas pickin up his option gives a real opportunity to fully evaluate it.. 

On 5/6/2019 at 7:28 PM, Gogrizz123 said:

With all the yammering about getting younger and faster...  Z-Bo?

This idea can't be taken seriously.  Tyler Zeller would even be a more legit option.

Bottom line: keeping JV is a must

2 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

JV, will opt out, only to get longer deal with Grizz...JV will be back 100% in Memphis next year...call it a hunch.

I sure hope not.

9 minutes ago, I❤️JV said:

JV, will opt out, only to get longer deal with Grizz...JV will be back 100% in Memphis next year...call it a hunch.

7 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

I sure hope not.

If we dont overpay Im ok with it

1 hour ago, I❤️JV said:

Or a nightmare.

JV is staying here. He looked like he was enjoying his time here. The city will love him like we did Gasol. 

9 hours ago, I❤️JV said:

thanks Jonas 

6 hours ago, MemphisX said:

I sure hope not.

5 hours ago, Dwash said:

Or a nightmare.

What do you guys have against JV?  I'm certainly not in favor of giving him some crippling contract or anything like that, but he did prove to be a good scorer and rebounder for us.  I'm not against him coming back if we can keep him for a reasonable contract.

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

What do you guys have against JV?  I'm certainly not in favor of giving him some crippling contract or anything like that, but he did prove to be a good scorer and rebounder for us.  I'm not against him coming back if we can keep him for a reasonable contract.

I dont think anyone has anything against Jonas.   This is all about Jaren.    We have potentially a SuperStar player in the making but are in the critical early stage of development.   We still don't know what position is best for Jaren and what he can really do offensively.   Pairing him with Jonas longterm could make it more difficult to discover.       Jonas is a good player but isn't versatile so if we pay to keep him then logic dictates we maximize the asset.    However, maximizing Jonas has  high potential of minimizing Jaren. 

Imagine when we drafted young Pau that we paired him with Prime Zbo.    How do you think his career would've gone?    For a real world example look at Utah and Boston.     Donovan Mitchell showed real potential his rookie year and Jazz immediately handed him the keys and didn't bring any vets onboard that would compete with him.  they are instead looking for complimentary players to add to him and he is on SuperStar trajectory.        Boston had their big run last season with Tatum, Rozier, and Brown everyone thought Tatum was gonna be the next Big thing.   This season Kyrie and Hayward back and playing competing minutes and now Tatum, Brown and Rozier have all had a disappointing season and seemed to regress.   

Do we want to risk that for Jonas?     it would be different if we were competing for championships but we aint.   

There are 48 minutes at center and 48 at PF, even if you play JV for 30 minutes every game you can still have 18 mins of JJJ at C. I don't think there will be an issue with that, provided we do not draft some C-only prospect that we would give ton of minutes first year for some reason. And even in that case we can probably trade JV mid-season if the young guy+JJJ+some bench C cover all 48 minutes immediately.

40 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I dont think anyone has anything against Jonas.   This is all about Jaren.    We have potentially a SuperStar player in the making but are in the critical early stage of development.   We still don't know what position is best for Jaren and what he can really do offensively.   Pairing him with Jonas longterm could make it more difficult to discover.       Jonas is a good player but isn't versatile so if we pay to keep him then logic dictates we maximize the asset.    However, maximizing Jonas has  high potential of minimizing Jaren. 

Imagine when we drafted young Pau that we paired him with Prime Zbo.    How do you think his career would've gone?    For a real world example look at Utah and Boston.     Donovan Mitchell showed real potential his rookie year and Jazz immediately handed him the keys and didn't bring any vets onboard that would compete with him.  they are instead looking for complimentary players to add to him and he is on SuperStar trajectory.        Boston had their big run last season with Tatum, Rozier, and Brown everyone thought Tatum was gonna be the next Big thing.   This season Kyrie and Hayward back and playing competing minutes and now Tatum, Brown and Rozier have all had a disappointing season and seemed to regress.   

Do we want to risk that for Jonas?     it would be different if we were competing for championships but we aint.   

Its great for Jaren to have JV here, special with his early foul trouble problems. With time he will adjust, but right now, needs a glass eater next to him and someone that could play against Jokic, Kanter, Vucevic and others. Even if we add Zion, like I believe we would, I would be in favor of JV for the right price.

12 minutes ago, evilution said:

There are 48 minutes at center and 48 at PF, even if you play JV for 30 minutes every game you can still have 18 mins of JJJ at C. I don't think there will be an issue with that, provided we do not draft some C-only prospect that we would give ton of minutes first year for some reason. And even in that case we can probably trade JV mid-season if the young guy+JJJ+some bench C cover all 48 minutes immediately.

This, but I still believe JV works long term too

40 minutes ago, evilution said:

I am not saying i don't want JV here next season.  I am saying i am extremely hesitant to sign him longterm.  Him opting in is the ideal situation IMHO.  

11 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I am not saying i don't want JV here next season.  I am saying i am extremely hesitant to sign him longterm.  Him opting in is the ideal situation IMHO.  

Not for him and not very likely after he hears (or saw) Durant go down last night. If that had been an Achilles injury it would have cost Durant millions of dollars. If JV is smart he will get a new contract now that his stock is high from his play with the Grizzlies and not risk an injury costing him big bucks next season. 

Which makes the issue twofold for Memphis. Does our new front office have the brains to negotiate a team friendly contract and are they confident in knowing what they want to do with JV and JJJ next season?

The last FO was legendary for striking with max deals early on and not risking losing players. This habit put them in bad situations financially which is strange since they started off being masters of how to manipulate the cap. Hopefully the new guys will strike a bargain that is not too financially punitive to the Grizzlies long-term while still locking up JV for the rest of JJJ's rookie contract assuming they see JJJ's future at PF.

IF the team sees JJJ's future as a full-time center (which would be appear seeing him working out with Kevin Garnett)  then hopefully the franchise will give JV a deal that can be moved easily as JJJ matures into the starting Center role. 

Is his stock high? I have only heard this among a small number of Grizzlies fans who usually have no perspective outside of the Grizzlies. 

You find me a team that would pay him more than the MLE out here.  I doubt he would command more than $10 million/year on the open market.

2 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Is his stock high? I have only heard this among a small number of Grizzlies fans who usually have no perspective outside of the Grizzlies. 

You find me a team that would pay him more than the MLE out here.  I doubt he would command more than $10 million/year on the open market.

I honestly don't know what the market is for him. I would imagine he could expect more than the MLE for his play in Memphis. He averaged 19.9 PPG and 10.7 RPG. Does anyone believe that isn't worth more than the MLE in today's NBA? 

12 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I honestly don't know what the market is for him. I would imagine he could expect more than the MLE for his play in Memphis. He averaged 19.9 PPG and 10.7 RPG. Does anyone believe that isn't worth more than the MLE in today's NBA? 

Some articles I've read have suggested his rate on the open market would probably be in the $12-15k range. Take it for what it's worth.

I don't think he is worth more than the MLE.  He is not a starter on a playoff team looking to go anywhere.  Can't switch or spread the floor.  Looking at the playoffs, I don't see any player with his archetype doing anything significant. 

3 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

I don't think he is worth more than the MLE.  He is not a starter on a playoff team looking to go anywhere.  Can't switch or spread the floor.  Looking at the playoffs, I don't see any player with his archetype doing anything significant. 

Right, which is why developing Jaren into Unicorn Center should be the real strategy.    Jaren skillset and mobility makes him immune to the effects of SmallBall.    Jonas would be greatly minimized as soon as playoffs start up.  Not just because he doesn't spread the floor but because he would be relentlessly attacked on defense. 

23 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

If Jonas fully embraced a situational Starter type role then i would be fine locking him up on an extremely team friendly deal.    But like you mention i have a difficult time thinking HE wants that after his really productive season.   If he resigns here it most likely will be in the role of Starting Center - offensive focal (assume Mike is gone).   If he is secondary with Jaren as primary then that puts us back with a Two Big offense again.   Can't thrive in today's NBA like that.     If we luck up and get a Ja, RJ or even Coby then that player HAS to be a primary scorer too.     Jaren could end up 3rd in pecking order by default.   I just hope Grizz FO are thinking about this. 

1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

This is true but every team isnt trying to make playoff runs. Some teams just want to put together a decent run and be .500 ish for now. So I can see some team paying him 13-15 million just to put up some stats.

1 hour ago, CoolHandGriz said:

Some articles I've read have suggested his rate on the open market would probably be in the $12-15k range. Take it for what it's worth.

I could see the Grizzlies paying him around $15 million since they aren't exactly a draw for free agents.